Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Ralith posted:

Ching Shih, Old-Sire, Athena

+1

Here's your chance to complain to the management Athena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Day 29
Current: 45,684
Total Goal: 48,333

Current: 373,921
Dec 1 Goal: 378,237
Feb 1 Goal: 500,000

The Endless Stair

The Imperial Palace is old. Built ten thousand years ago and more, it has been subject to little in the way of redesign or refurbishment. If it was good enough for Dorn, it’s good enough for the contemporary era - no one wants to change a hallway and accidentally allow traitors access. So individual walls may change, stairs and tiles be replaced, someone could walk the same hallways from then, and not notice any difference.

Dust is a constant. Not that tidiness is ignored - the great vents winding through the Palace do their best - but there is just so much of it. Trillions of humans live here, and the incense and burned prayers collect in a perpetual haze. To wear a gas mask here is to show you aren’t from around here at the least - perhaps show your heretical intentions at the most. The billions born here don’t notice it, their lungs long ago adapted.

The furnishings and decorations are kept until they are falling apart, and then they are replaced in the best available imitations. Tapestries are threadbare and fading, tiles are chipped and occasionally open to gravel. Dusty sages and adepts walk from room to room on unexplained tasks, talking to each other in a dialect that can’t be understood. Papers (!) are signed, copied, notarized.

When you climb this high, the sound of the pilgrims is a distant thing, entwining with the uneasy buzz of the God-Emperor’s psyker aura. More dominant is the slow movement of the Adeptus Administratum, Ministorum, Ecclesiarchy. Old, decrepit figures ambling down old decrepit hallways, filing papers that may have been rendered unnecessary centuries ago. The wheels of the bureaucracy turn slow and unstoppable.

A planet might have asked for mining regiments, and become a Hive in the intervening centuries. Only now were they being sent out, and the Governor of centuries hence would have to deal with them, those workers out of time. Depending on how the conversation went, the regiments might begin mining the hives regardless. Such things have been known to happen, in an Imperium of this size.

Servitors pulled your Lord-Sire’s sled, dressed in the livery of some forgotten Sage. If the indignity bothered him, being leaned back and pulled upwards, he didn’t show it. Instead, Frederik showed a continued fascination with everything about him. You wondered if some part of him was still a child, to be awed at such. You were noticing the ample fortifications, perfect lanes of fire, the dozing Titans that had become makeshift pillars.

And still the stairs rose ever upwards.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 29
Current: 46,116

Current: 374,353

Todays music: Garmarna

Introspection

“Ever been here before?”
Athena shrugged at Ching Shih’s question. “Before it was built. A few millennia before.”
“So not really.”
“Not really.”
“What do you think?”
“It’s going through the motions.”
“How you figure?”
She gestured. “The … content is there. You can see there was a dream here, something amazing. But its stagnant. The gardener has left and all the fish are dead. You can see that they are trying to keep it up, but they don’t know how. They don’t understand why this color was used in this corridor, this tapestry or that, this hallway or that. It’s simultaneously beautiful and defensible, awe-inspiring and impregnable. When it was built.”
“You don’t think it’s impregnable?”
Athena bit her lip. “It would be a nasty thing to break, I will admit. Particularly if only using Great Crusade tech. The core is still there. But the art… the art is gone.”
“It looks like everything has been replaced, just as it was.”
“Without the understanding of why it was. It’s sad.”
“I suppose.”
They climbed the stairs in silence for a time.
“So have you been here before?”
“Me? No. I was in the Fleet before it was built, and was never in a position to return to the Imperial Palace.”
“So what do you think?”
“It lacks the Eldar finesse. A lot of it seems to … just try to overwhelm you with size. Kilometer sized statues, kilometer sized doors. It makes you feel small, but that’s all it does. There… isn’t anything more there.” She looked around her. “I can’t escape the feeling that there used to be, or there was meant to be.”
Athena sighed. “Everything is wearing down.”
“I’m sorry?”
“This is the homeworld of Humanity. This is the best they’ve got. The most important, the most beautiful. And… it’s dust and threadbare fabric. It’s a wedding dressed that is worn everyday, but never to a wedding.”
“You seem oddly maudlin today.”
She gestured. “Yeah, sorry. I don’t know what I was expecting.” She looked around, taking in the vastness. “It wasn’t this.”

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Team Inquisitor

Yeah, that would be my feeling as well. Except for the overwhelming psychic pressure? Is that there too?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Wentley posted:

Team Inquisitor

Yeah, that would be my feeling as well. Except for the overwhelming psychic pressure? Is that there too?

Yes indeed.

Day 29
Current: 46,468

Current: 374,705

Wayside

“Jesus Christ, stop already.”
You turned, looked back. Ching Shih was a dozen meters behind everyone else, her thigh muscles twitching uncontrollably.
“What’s the problem?”
“What’s the problem? I’m the only one with actual legs. We’ve got a cyborg, a hologram, and a servitor-sled. You may not feel it, but my legs know every goddamn step.”
You glanced around you. One platform was as good as another, and the one nearest had scattered chairs, bookcases. An open air lounge of sorts. “Sure, all right.”
Athena helped carry Ching Shih to a couch, where she settled exhaustedly. It was odd that you hadn’t considered it. Perhaps too much time spent with Abrogates and superhumans. Ching Shih looked up at you.
“Don’t suppose you brought any food?”
Di Musio nodded. “Check the back of my cart, my caretakers loaded me up.”
You grabbed some miscellany, handed it out. Very high quality, as befitted your station. Not that you ate much anymore. Ching Shih and Di Musio were the only ones with any appetite.

This seems like a good sport for conversation, but I’m still mulling what could be said.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Explain that you intend to use the optimizer on the Throne. Can Athena feel the Emperor?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

VanSandman posted:

Explain that you intend to use the optimizer on the Throne. Can Athena feel the Emperor?

Watch us optimize it and witness the god emperor stands up and stretch...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ching Shih, what is this Jesus Christ thing you keep going on about? You say it every other conversation. Is it the sight of a famous battle from your time, or what?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

We should start chatting/gossiping like this is high tea.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 29
Current: 46,642

Current: 374,879

High Tea

Ching Shih looked up from massaging her legs, spoke. “So, Frederik. What do you think so far?”
He smiled tiredly. “More than I could have hoped. I expected to die at the Eternity Gate, begging entrance. Our Dynasty has moved up quite substantially in the last few years.”
You smiled at that. “We have done fairly well, at that.”
“So.” He shifted. “How you think the battle will go?”
You chuckled. “Well, otherwise I wouldn’t have started it.”
“Your hand could easily have been forced. The entire might of the Imperium in one last all-in bet.”
You carefully didn’t look at Athena. “I don’t think so. We just finished fortifying and reestablishing Golgotha when we left, and Warmaster Vedallio is in a good position to return to it.”
He gestured. “But all the forces of the Great Enemy? All the xeno in one place? You must have concerns.”
You shrugged. “I’ve already partially accessed the STC, gotten a Dark Age Titan out of the deal. I think we have some substantial advantages. And we’ve had millennia of getting our enemies to fight each other. We do that, then shoot the survivors.”
“Well said. What do you think, Ching Shih? One final bet?”
“It would be nice to have an end to the war.” Athena nodded in agreement. “No more Traitor Legions. Maybe a few years of peace.”
You spoke. “I want it understood that this is of the utmost secrecy, but… I may have a method to repair the Throne. Heal the God-Emperor.”
Frederik chuckled. “Another all-in bet, I see. You do like to take risks.”
You replied briskly. “In for a cent in for a credit. But it’s Primarch level technology - I think it might even have been built for that purpose.”
He nodded. “Ah, what you found in the Heart. I wondered.”
You blinked in surprise. “You knew about the Heart?”
“Before you went there? No. But I was watching when you came out.”
“I see. Yes, it’s a relic of Ferrus Manus. I’ve tested it on several subjects, and all of their implants went up to Great Crusade era. And you saw what it did to the ship.”
“I did indeed. Just noting the high risk / high gain plays you like to make.”
“How so?”
“Well, even if we win Golgotha, you are doubling down again, betting the Throne. If you make a mistake, we might even lose the Astronomicon.”
You shrugged. “Let’s say there is a certain urgency to it and leave it at that.”
A silence, then: “Ah. You do have a knack for finding these situations, Ohone.”
“They do seem attracted to me, I will admit.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 29
Current: 47,088

Current: 375,325

Down Below

Hera watched them go up the stairs with narrowed eyes. “Of course they choose her.”
“Don’t like your sister?”
She turned. “She’s not… who are you?”
He smiled easily. “The Little Sire. But you can call me Fredrik.”
Hera eyed him. “I’ll bet.”
“So, where did you turn up from? One day you aren’t here, the next you are in the inner circle.” He gestured. “Family connections?”
“Sure.”
“I hear that. I was named for the previous Lord-Sire. They hoped I would go far.”
“They must be so disappointed.”
He clutched his heart. “A brutal blow.”
She turned to him, stared. “What do you want?”
“To get to know you better. I find it healthy to know what’s going on on Alpha Deck.”
“We aren’t on Alpha Deck.”
“Ah, but we belong there. You and I. And the others.”
“You have no idea where I belong.”
“But the Iron Maiden seems to think so. Who am I to go against her wishes?”
“By the looks of it, someone whose ambition is only outdone by his laziness.”
The Little-Sire blinked. “You have the better of me, madam.”
“And I always will. Leave me.”

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
"The time for half-measures has slipped past us. Ten-thousand years of decay and we are privileged to watch it all break apart. We aren't going all-in, we're just using what little we have left."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 29
Current: 47,286

Current: 375,523

Down Below II

Sister Katarina watched him go, amused. “I think you hurt his feelings.”
“I don’t care.”
“Oh, neither do I. That little popinjay has needed his ego pricked for quite sometime.”
“Hah.” She glanced over. “Lady Hera.”
“Sister Katarina. A pleasure.” She stood closer, companionably. “He did raise some good points though.”
“Oh?” Hera’s voice was wary.
“Namely, where did you come from? Where, for that matter, did Athena come from? There are no records of anyone like that in the Dynasty or known to the Dynasty. Its as if … you appeared out of thin air.”
Hera chuckled. “If I didn’t tell him, why would I tell you?”
“Well, you like me more for one.” She smiled. “Kindred spirits, and the like.”
“How you figure?” If you were looking, and knew what to look for, one could see Hera’s body shift into combat readiness.
“Both women, raised to diplomacy and the art of the knife. I know someone formally trained when I see one. Ophelia VII? One of the outer moons?”
“Ah… yes, you have found me out.”
Katarina smiled warmly. “Of course, I knew it. All the more reason for us to stick together. Were you assigned through one of the Abbots…?”
“I prefer not to say.”
“Of course, my apologies. At the very least, perhaps we could share some of our goals, resources.”
Hera looked into her face. “I think I would like that.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current Mental State

Team Mars Federation. Pragmatic, hopeful, somewhat open minded. Athena's corner, Hera in a good mood. - 21

PLC
Outrail
dog kisser
5 Random Paul
Althair
Ralith
Swedish
Arcturas
10 Toughy
Grognan
Hot Dog
BB Rod
15 Zybourne Clock
gnarl
Hexenritter
sheepdodger
AntiCheese
20 bonemonkey
the final stand

Team Inquisitor: Cautious, practical, subtle, long-term. What would Kozilek do? -11

JT Jag
Sniper
Hiho
Haystack
5 Sullat
Tran
Tomn
Kinetica
Holly
10 Jesusiccolorblin
Wentley

Team Catgirl
be kawaii as gently caress make the imperium kawaii or something - 8

Xun
subtle boomerang
Don Vincenzo
Jaegerx
5 Waci
heliTurtle
MaliciousOnion
Puistokemisti

Team Ricola: Riiiiicolllaaaaaaaa - 3
Revitalize the Imperium, soothe scratchy relations, blow alphorns.

Volmarias
deadmeat5150
Paragon

Team Paranoia: Full Stalin. Paranoia, contempt, authoritarianism. - 3

Slaan
Ark
ArbitraryTA

Team Xeno - 2
Tau's philosophy, eldar's beauty, ork's ferocity, human's dignity, and AI's 1010101

Nyaa
Oasx

Team Black Crusade Just as Planned. Max out xenotek, heretek, and warptek. - 1

Rahul

Team Magos: Just run the numbers. Cold, clinical, looking for optimization. Not cruel, not empathic. - 1

Van Sandman

Team Satan Hail Satan - 1

LCT

Team Sombrero All hats - 1

The Paradigm

Team Dynasty: Self interest, personal benefit, increasing the wealth and standing of you and your Family. - 0

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Slaan posted:

Ching Shih, what is this Jesus Christ thing you keep going on about? You say it every other conversation. Is it the sight of a famous battle from your time, or what?

"You know what year it is?"

"Of course. It's 40,xxx"

"You ever wondered why it's 40,xxx?"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 29
Current: 47,527

Current: 375,764

Hera

“Ah, Colonel Astri! You look well.”
Astri blinked, cocked her head. “Have we met?”
“Only in passing, you know how these things are.”
“Ah.” Her face firmed into bland professionalism. “How do you do.”
“I am well! I’ve been following your career for sometime now.”
She shrugged. “Just another soldier, ma’am.”
“That’s not true at all! You are so young, and a Colonel of the Greycloaks! Your family must be proud.”
“No family but the military ma’am.”
“Ah yes, that’s correct. That strange custom of yours.”
“It’s served us well so far. We don’t want politics interfering with our jobs.” Her tone was pointed.
“Of course. Just performance of duty.”
“Yes.”
“Well, I know a thing or two about that.”
Astri looked at her askance. “Really.”
“Mm, yes. I was a soldier for a long time myself. And leader of soldiers.”
“I see.”
“Indeed! Now, bit of advice from an old soldier.”
“Yes?”
“Often times, it’s about protecting the asset from themselves.”
“What do you mean by that?”
“Occasionally, they get overconfident, walk into traps.” Hera’s voice was serious. “It’s your job to make sure they don’t.”
“The Lord-Sire makes up her own mind, ma’am.”
“I’m sure she does! And I’m not saying to stop that. I’m saying that sometimes, you need to work around the asset, to protect the asset. Does that make sense?”
“I suppose.” She glanced away. “I need to … go over there.”
“Certainly. Remember what I said.” Hera stared hard at her. “Protect the asset.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 29
Current: 47,780

Current: 376,017

Watchers

L: ~By the Primarchs, I hate this place. My migraine has migraines.~
E: ~About as enjoyable as the first time, I dare say.~ The tone was commiserating.
L: ~You watching this?~
E: ~Hera? Yeah. Reminds me of Jazmine when she’s working the crowds.~
L: ~Don’t think I’ve had the pleasure.~
E: ~Istvaan. Good at it.~
L: ~Ah.~ That was all that needed to be said, really.
E: ~Think she’s got similar plans?~
L: ~If she did, is there much we can do?~
E: ~Not really. Not directly, anyway.~
L: ~Think we should do the rounds, remind everyone their loyalties?~
E: ~Yeah. Last thing we need is a conflicted Dynasty on the eve of battle.~
L: ~I’ll get started on that then. Not much we can do about her directly though.~
E: ~Compile our suspicions, if there is anything to them. Present it to Ohone. Hope she has another trick up her sleeve.~
L: ~Think there is?~
E: ~A just awoken mad-AI? I doubt even Hera knows what she wants, or what she’s doing. You seeing how she seems to shift in each conversation?~
L: ~Yeah. Bonding technique? Match the other person, helps persuasion?
E: ~Maybe. Or maybe she’s just erratic.
L: ~As if we didn’t have enough to worry about.~
E: ~I’ll check her out, see if I can get a read. Let’s hope she can at least hold together till the end of the battle.~
L: ~Good luck.~
E: ~Talked down one insane Istvaan, talked down them all.~

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Ed and Limosa definitely need a carrot, what do you give a psyker who needs nothing?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Shaman:Machine::Eduard:?????

Some day your insane moment in the sun will come, my half-mad prince.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Toughy posted:

Ed and Limosa definitely need a carrot, what do you give a psyker who needs nothing?

Tinfoil hat to block out the Psychic noise. Sure we can whip one up for him out of scraps.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I bet they'd be happy if we did what they wanted. Now, getting them to share it with us forthright, what with the catgirls dancing at the edge of our minds...

The Mars Fed/Inquisition combo is a strong combo, I think, and I liked to imagine the third trait as sort of a whisper at the back of the mind. Formerly extreme paranoia, now :catstare:. I think the most ruthlessly effective (but at what?) combo would be Inquisition prime, Magos secondary. Paranoia/Black Crusade probably the fastest-way to irredeemably sink the main character. Catgirl/Ricola probably the best way to sink the OP's attempts to novelize after the CYOA is done.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Toughy posted:

+1, also, a carrot for our successful tribune from the heart, when there's time

And I'll throw in with team inquisition

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Today's hobby reading: Tau as Necron killers

http://z6.invisionfree.com/bljunkies/index.php?showtopic=1308&st=0

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 29
Current: 48,032

Current: 376,269

Todays music by Dargaard

Greater Good

In Ultramar, in the home of the Ultramarines, the Tau served.

They were well used to a caste system, and the Ultramarines had slotted them in accordingly. Human officers over mixed units of Fire Caste and Guardsmen, Tech-Priests overseeing Acolytes and Earth Caste. To ensure a compliant merger, the Water Caste flowed. And the Ethereals themselves, sworn to Marneus Calgar, and through him, the Primarch Guilliman.

The Ultramarines and Tau had worked together in the past before, most notably against the Tyranids. In one case, Calgar had allowed the Tau to flee prior to an Exterminatus that was targetting an infested world. With similar stories going back centuries, the unification of the two empires was easier than one might think.

It was a tragedy to lose the resources of the worlds of the Tau, all the buildings and infrastructure. But the populace, for the most part, was saved, and brought into the protective embrace of the Ultramarines. After proper cleansing, the xenotek was brought into the Mechanicus, with railguns and pulse weapons soon being produced.

The bulk of the fleets were put on the border to the galactic rim. The Hive Fleets had come from there before - they would come that way again. Seers and cogitators said the bulk of the Hive Fleet was heading to Golgotha, called by the massive biomass feast that was the Ork WAAAGGH. Nonetheless, Calgar and the Ethereals were cautious. The Tyranids had been shown to be a crafty and voracious enemy.

Behind the stasis field, the Earth Caste swore that they could tell Guilliman was healing.

-

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/heresy/thedornianheresy.pdf Also a good read

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This is the only thing youve really written that I find incredibly implausible.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

This is the only thing youve really written that I find incredibly implausible.

Strange bedfellows and all that.

quote:

The Cleansing of Malbede (963.M41) - The Ultramarines clash with a Tau expeditionary fleet for control of the cursed planet of Malbede. When the conflict awakens the Necrons hidden on Malbede, the Ultramarines and the Tau join forces to defeat the emerging Necrons. In the wake of the battle, Marneus Calgar initiates Exterminatus on Malbede, but allows the Tau to evacuate before the planet is destroyed.

quote:

The Ultramarines' dominion over the star systems of Ultramar gives these Astartes unparalleled contact with Imperial citizenry. This has led to an unusual level of affinity for the common citizenry among an Astartes Chapter, comparable only to that displayed by the Salamanders. The Ultramarines regard themselves as protectors of the innocent, and not simply the Imperium's best warriors. This indicates the Ultramarines may be considered one of the noblest of Space Marine Chapters, fighting for not merely honour and martial pride or glory, but to protect the lives of their own people. In addition, unlike most Imperial organisations, they are willing to work with aliens like the Eldar from time to time, and even hold some respect for the Tau Empire. Unlike other Imperial military forces, the Ultramarines do not renege on their deals with alien allies, even after victory has been achieved.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The Ultramarines are keeping all their poo poo home like a pack of cowards, right?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

The Ultramarines are keeping all their poo poo home like a pack of cowards, right?

Yup! Every ship, every marine, every guardsman, plus their xeno serf-armies.

LowellDND posted:

Consolidation

The scribe reverently handed the scroll to him, ornate and gilded. A copy of the day’s messages from the Astronomicon - his big hands dwarfed the large roll of vellum, and he read it as he had every day for the last seven hundred years. Started to roll it up, as was his custom, then stopped. Looked at the scribe. “Is this true?”

The scribe looked down. “Yes, Chapter Master. All ships.”
“I don’t believe it. This has the stench of a Chaos feint all over it.”
“Yes, Chapter Master.”
He considered for a moment, superhuman intelligence going over the odds. “Send out an alert anyway. All units, all Successor Chapters, return to Ultramar. If it’s a lie, it’ll be a good use of a drill. If it’s true, we can strike in force.”
“Yes, Chapter Master.”

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 29, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That armour is cool, but how does he pick his nose?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
One leg at a time.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Why haven't we optimized space dad yet

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Outrail posted:

That armour is cool, but how does he pick his nose?

He has serfs to do it for him.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Xun posted:

Why haven't we optimized space dad yet

He has said in so many words that he is done and ready to die. I think Ohone offered it and he declined.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I thought it was because we figured that cancer cells are still fundamentally working and we didn't want him to turn into a giant mass because they just got even better at their jobs?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I believe Team Paranoia needs a boost.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Is nobody else is ready to come over to Black Crusade and admit that Ohone is the greatest instrument that the Lord of Change has ever devised, whether she admits it to herself or not?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rahul posted:

Is nobody else is ready to come over to Black Crusade and admit that Ohone is the greatest instrument that the Lord of Change has ever devised, whether she admits it to herself or not?

Malal or bust.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 30
Current: 48,298
Total Goal: 50,000

Current: 376,535

Today’s music, of course, is Eye of the Tiger

Tigers

“How you feeling? Any better?”
Ching Shih sighed. “I suppose. Miles to go before I sleep.”
“What?”
“Old reference. Yeah, I’m ready.”
She stretched, winced. You waited (you thought) patiently. After a few minutes, she nodded at you. “Okay.”

The higher tiers of the Inner Palace were more visibly guarded, with the decorations set in stone. They lacked the softness of lower levels, few tapestries or carpets - instead, everything was statues, bas reliefs, tiles. There was very little damage to them, with the occasional bullet hole plastered and discoloured. They had otherwise remained as they had been carved, ten thousand years ago.

The defenders, too, were as they had been. The Adeptus Custodes, oldest and wisest - formed at the same time as the Thunder Warriors. They had guarded the God-Emperor since before the Unification, and their gear had changed little. You could tell that they were soldiers by the way they stood, the items they held - but what the weapons actually were, you had no idea. Much had been lost, and some knowledges had never been shared.

Athena was looking at them with an interested eye, which was never a good sign.

The legend was that there were only a few thousand of them, but you were skeptical of that claim. Any time numbers were set low like that, it was generally to increase the glory of the unit. ‘We only needed a thousand to take a city that a million could not!’ Not that they had a million, but you were rather sure you had seen more than a thousand in just climbing these stairs. And they wouldn’t need a million - it was generally accepted by people who would know that they were a touch better than even the Grey Knights.

The air was actually buzzing at this point, making your teeth ache. The sheer energy of the God-Emperor’s aura was enough to make your bones tremble, and you began to wonder if you could even survive getting much closer. Certainly, psykers were traumatically affected by it, even to the point of going blind. You started to wonder if De Musio would survive much longer, as well.

You glanced over at Athena. “Do you feel that?”
“Probably not the same interpretation of it as you, but yes. Tremendous amount of exotic radiation here.” She paused, licked her lips as if tasting the air. “Truly tremendous.”
“That’s not even a tiny bit weird. Okay, do you think it could have damaging effects to base-line humans?”
“Definitely. We’re… maybe halfway to the lethal point.”
You blinked. “If the presence is actually lethal, how do psykers get close?”
“Years of preparatory training, and even then most don’t survive.”
“I see. And the Custodes?”
She looked at them. “Quite impressive warding, and decades of training.”
Ching Shih interrupted. “Uh oh. They noticed us.”

Half a dozen Custodes approached you, moving slowly and with purpose, and one spoke. That same chirping Ching Shih used. She replied in kind, smiling at the chance to use her birth language.
You frowned. “What did they say?”
“Ah. The Captain-General of the Adeptus Custodes is ready to see us.”
“That can’t be normal.”
She chirped at them, then: “Apparently anyone who goes further needs to go through him first. Few enough people make it this far that it’s a reasonable metric to set.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9w_uoUHgiE 1 minute 40 seconds

Loel fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 30, 2015

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
ADD CAT EARS TOT HE FABULOUS CUSTODES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Waci posted:

ADD CAT EARS TOT HE FABULOUS CUSTODES

:colbert:

Current Mental State

Team Mars Federation. Pragmatic, hopeful, somewhat open minded. Athena's corner, Hera in a good mood. - 21

PLC
Outrail
dog kisser
5 Random Paul
Althair
Ralith
Swedish
Arcturas
10 Toughy
Grognan
Hot Dog
BB Rod
15 Zybourne Clock
gnarl
Hexenritter
sheepdodger
AntiCheese
20 bonemonkey
the final stand

Team Inquisitor: Cautious, practical, subtle, long-term. What would Kozilek do? -12

JT Jag
Sniper
Hiho
Haystack
5 Sullat
Tran
Tomn
Kinetica
Holly
10 Jesusiccolorblin
Wentley
falcon2424

Team Catgirl
be kawaii as gently caress make the imperium kawaii or something - 8

Xun
subtle boomerang
Don Vincenzo
Jaegerx
5 Waci
heliTurtle
MaliciousOnion
Puistokemisti

Team Paranoia: Full Stalin. Paranoia, contempt, authoritarianism. - 4

Slaan
Ark
ArbitraryTA
LordCyrahzax

Team Ricola: Riiiiicolllaaaaaaaa - 3
Revitalize the Imperium, soothe scratchy relations, blow alphorns.

Volmarias
deadmeat5150
Paragon

Team Xeno - 2
Tau's philosophy, eldar's beauty, ork's ferocity, human's dignity, and AI's 1010101

Nyaa
Oasx

Team Black Crusade Just as Planned. Max out xenotek, heretek, and warptek. - 2

Rahul
reignonyourparade

Team Magos: Just run the numbers. Cold, clinical, looking for optimization. Not cruel, not empathic. - 1

Van Sandman

Team Satan Hail Satan - 1

LCT

Team Sombrero All hats - 1

The Paradigm

Team Dynasty: Self interest, personal benefit, increasing the wealth and standing of you and your Family. - 0