Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

wear all our hats. literally all. a tower of hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wouldn't Ohone taking command be a terrible goddamn idea since she has no experience leading even a single ship in space combat, let alone something of this magnitude? I propose we find the most competent general/admiral/high lord/whatever we can and put our ship at their disposal until the raiders are dead and Anna is made into a Turducken.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Get involved isn't the same as taking command. We should get involved because I want to see what the fancy archeotech poo poo does and how much of it we can copy and/or repossess.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Waci posted:

Get involved isn't the same as taking command. We should get involved because I want to see what the fancy archeotech poo poo does and how much of it we can copy and/or repossess. steal and sell

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Not tall enough. We need at least 5 more hates of equal splendor on top :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Waci posted:

You realise that's just our arm, right?
Also our eye

And our wedding ring

Ohone has a lot of things she can kill people with that she can sneak past security

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm down with Plan JT Jag for action, and Plan Tran for fashion. These people won't be impressed by a suit of power armour. Being able to project your power without such things is far more impressive.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hexenritter posted:

I'm down with Plan JT Jag for action, and Plan Tran for fashion. These people won't be impressed by a suit of power armour. Being able to project your power without such things is far more impressive.

Sure, why not?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A, it doesn't mean skipping the plot. We should at least sniff out the scene here.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I just caught up to the post Athena-activating Heretek fight, and this is amazing. I can't wait to get caught up and participate.

Judging by the music selections you use, OP, I recommend checking out Ironhand and Sarcophagic.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tran posted:

Robes in inquisition black with red trim. Embroidered =][=. Openly wear a sidearm.

We're meeting the rulers of all mankind, they're not going to be impressed by us stomping around like a common soldier. The robe is an announcement of our expertise and our backers. The =][= displays our right to come before them as a petitioner. Obviously we don't need the weapon as we are augmented with numerous internal killing machines, but it serves to make a point. A symbol of our intent to aid in the defense if you will.

Yeah sure

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Addendum to Tran plan: if the red color typical of the Inquisition is at all different from the red of Mars, use the Techpriest's color as the accent for the robes instead. There's a possibility there might be a couple shades of differentiation there.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

This is suitable attire.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

JT Jag posted:

Addendum to Tran plan: if the red color typical of the Inquisition is at all different from the red of Mars, use the Techpriest's color as the accent for the robes instead. There's a possibility there might be a couple shades of differentiation there.

The red was for the Mechanicus. The inquisition is too busy being scary men in black to consider anything else.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Since we were just in our Gods presence, and no one really knows much, can we say that He told us we could take every bit of tech and data that isn't nailed down? There's got to be some fun stuff we could use. I'm trying to bring back some of the rogue trader to this :colbert:

I also vote for starting powerplays to get a High Lord position. Then we can start shifting people to the true faith (Worship the Holy AI and the Saint Fabyian)

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
If we start claiming divine right to steal poo poo I'm pretty sure the Ecclesiarch will have something to say. Probably along the lines of "Seize her" or "Heresy".

You know, what with being on the council of high lords we're having an audience with.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Needs more skulls

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Blasphemaster posted:

I just caught up to the post Athena-activating Heretek fight, and this is amazing. I can't wait to get caught up and participate.

Judging by the music selections you use, OP, I recommend checking out Ironhand and Sarcophagic.

Welcome! Good to have you! Ill check out these groups next post :D

Bwhahahahahha

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

LowellDND posted:

Welcome! Good to have you! Ill check out these groups next post :D

Glad to be on board. I'm hitting myself mentally for missing the start of this. I'm also confident you'll find a lot of atmospheric stuff to fit your writing style. The composer is an inactive Goon who fell out of the same woman I did so I love turning new listeners on to his stuff. Also there's about 10 years worth of stuff free to download so... :v:

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 15, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Page 500 here we come.

Also we need more hats.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Promote each of our servo-skulls to commissar and give them all hats.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

paragon1 posted:

Promote each of our servo-skulls to commissar and give them all hats.

They dont need promotions for that. We can staple a picture of Husbano to them amd its good enough.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LowellDND posted:

Its two levels for ~200 pages of thread, and we're about hitting the cap of the game :v:

You should follow in the illustrious path of Greg Stafford and swap systems to Heroquest :v:

LowellDND posted:

Knitting Circle 3

Katarina looked startled for the first time you have ever seen her. “You went to the Throne?”
“I did.”
“If the Custodes can confirm that, then I expect the canonization will be expedited quite quickly.”
“I have no doubt.”

Are we a candidate for sainthood ourselves? I feel like that this is the sort of thing that gets people worshiped enough to get glowy wings and whatnot. We don't even have to worry about stepping on husbandu's tailcoats, since he's got the whole eldar-god warp-fighter thing going now.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Generally speaking, being a priest of a competing religion tends to make you ineligible.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Soon we will be Olympus's avatar of war. Prometheus will bring fire to man and then set fire to Chaos.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

poor life choice posted:

Soon we will be Olympus's avatar of war. Prometheus will bring fire to man and then set fire to Chaos.

Or we will cast the gods of old upon a pyre made of their coveted flames and rise as the God of the new world.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Arkanomen posted:

Or we will cast the gods of old upon a pyre made of their coveted flames and rise as the God of the new world.

Nah, lets not.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Waci posted:

Nah, lets not.

Unless it's on the way. And wouldn't take much extra time.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Waci posted:

Nah, lets not.

You can't trust everyone. We have to reach for the top. Where is your ambition man!?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Arkanomen posted:

Where is your ambition man!?

Putting Athena in charge of the galaxy while we get credit for converting her to Tzeentch and carve out The New Holy Robot Empire in the warp.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Waci posted:

Putting Athena in charge of the galaxy while we get credit for converting her to Tzeentch and carve out The New Holy Robot Empire in the warp.

She is an AI. She was never meant to be more than a tool for humanity. A hammer alone cannot shape the galaxy. It needs a strong hand to wield it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 389,741
Feb 1 Goal: 500,000

Outer Cloud

One thing that naval commanders have to constantly remind their land-bound brethren of is the fact that space is big. Natural inclination with an Imperial Guard general is to (for example) set up artillery on a mountain, plot the grids of nearby roads and towns, and call it a day. Creating a blockade isn’t particularly difficult when you only have to worry about a handful of square kilometers.

Telling a general that any given system is going to be essentially undefended is therefore going to cause a frothing rage, particularly when that system is Terra, homeland of Humanity. The battlefield is a trillion kilometers across, and it is a sphere, not a mostly two-dimensional surface. Even with every rock in the Outer Cloud weaponized (and many are) they are still separated by millions of kilometers from each other.

The other thing is that the transition paths are (for the most part) predictable. If you were defending a road on a planet, dropping artillery rounds would be a matter of seconds - perhaps minutes, depending on the time it takes to pass the order. The convoy, in effect, wouldn’t see it coming. In space, things are a bit different. For one, just seeing the enemy convoy can take minutes for the light to arrive. Many (the majority, even) posts in the Cloud will only see the enemy days after their drop out of Warp.

So, you are a hereditary Fleetsman. You are living on a rock in Cloud, as your family has for generations. You get the message of emerging Chaos fleets - not a drill, the real thing. The information is already minutes, hours old. Perhaps days. You wake up the family, start readying the macrocannons. And here is the other part where land generals might be surprised. These weapon pods sit down and do a gently caress-ton of math.

The light of the enemy arrived x amount of time ago. They were travelling along this avenue of approach at this speed. If they stay at this speed, and you are moving at this speed (in a different orbit), and you fire a macrocannon - how fast does it need to be going to explode where you think they will be? The calculations can take dozens of minutes, which in themselves change the variables. And that presumes everything goes right, the family wakes up, the macrocannon works, the math is correct.

Still. In the days after their arrival, millions of mountain-sized projectiles are fired at the Chaos fleet. Here is the other part that differs from land-based combat: the Chaos fleets can see the projectiles approaching. Instead of just a simple ‘take cover!’, they have hours, days to map out the arcs, make a course change.

Some projectiles have time to approach sub-relativistic speeds, and arrive seconds after the light of their image is seen. Millions of cultists and daemons die in the interim. The majority of the projectiles miss, fly into the void to be devoured by gravity wells in some millennia hence. And then the light of the course changes arrives at the defense pods, and the cycle begins all over again.

-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpgxry542M

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 16, 2015

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Waci posted:

Ooh, I'm torn between this and Ark. Can we do this first as a subset of Arks plan and then toss the last one on the pyre later?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kinetica posted:

Ooh, I'm torn between this and Ark. Can we do this first as a subset of Arks plan and then toss the last one on the pyre later?

I definitely have notes for invading the warp and having Warp!Athena, yes :D If we happen to go down that route.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 390,269

Hunger Fleets

When the Horus Heresy ended, the forces of Chaos retreated back to the Warp. Millions of Chaos Space Marines, trillions of fallen guardsmen, their Tech-Priests and their slaves all entered the Eye of Terror and the Maelstrom, hiding within it for a time more suited for their needs. Fallen Primarchs and Daemon Princes rewrote worlds for their needs.

However, while some parts of the Dark Mechanicus joined them, many of them remained in their Hell-Forges. During the Dark Age of Technology, Mars had distributed thousands of Forge seeds, planting Hives across the galaxy. Not all of them stayed with the Omnissiah - not all of them stayed under the protective light of the God-Emperor.

These Hell-Forges are among the most advanced and deviant planets in the galaxy, gleefully leaping into secrets and things that have been forbidden for countless millenia. Xenotek, heretek, warptek, all are used without restraint, often times without rhyme or reason. With the warp, natural laws can be broken down, bent or molded as needed. On these worlds, reality is simply another alloy in the furnace.

Some Hell-Forges suffer the consequences - creating voracious nanotech swarms, or hunter-killer AIs, or accidental warp-gates. Planets can be there one day and gone the next, forgotten even from memories. Others leap forward or backward through time, or break apart under the will of the Warp. Such is Chaos.

These hundreds of worlds - Dark Mechanicus worlds - have built fleets and war machines for endless centuries. They had created fortress systems capable of resisting all but the most powerful of Crusades and Inquisitions, and the sound of their forging could be heard across the cosmos.

In the last handful of years, the forges have gone silent. The fortresses have emptied, the gates unbarred. Indeed, some of them - continent sized Hives - have broken from their planet entirely, shifting into the Warp, never to return. The Hunger Fleets of the Dark Mechanicus gather at Haceldama, the Field of Blood. And soon, very soon, they shall strike at Golgotha, and take what is their birthright.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 390,611

Tranquility

One unexpected side-effect of the Golgotha War was the outbreak of peace across the galaxy.

Not that the galaxy was peaceful as such - Humanity still warred with itself as it always had. And Golgotha itself was a maelstrom unimaginable, as all the forces of galaxy joined the battle. But outside Golgotha, the rest of the galaxy - things were actually starting to look pretty good. For one simple reason - or, more precisely, two. Two very particular xeno races had simply… left.

Orks and Tyranids.

The Orks were considered the most populated species in the galaxy, a literal fungus that was nearly impossible to eradicate. And conflict only made them bigger, spawn more of them - all eager to get in the fight. Humanity fighting Orks was simply how it had always been, even in the oldest of histories. And now, all the Orks had gone.

The Tyranids were the most populated species outside of the galaxy - multiple Hive Fleets that were themselves tendrils of a nigh-incomprehensible Hive Mega-fleet. The Hive Mind had conquered, devoured multiple galaxies, and their first handful of waves had shook the Imperium to their core. And yet, over the course of weeks and months… they left. Mid-combat, mid-devouring sometimes, they left the planet they were attacking.

Much was made of this, of course - the God-Emperor’s Grace turning away the xeno. Smart preachers quickly tied it in with the flicker of the Astronomicon - the God-Emperor choosing to will away the two xeno threats, and in so doing cause the two Ruptures. It made a certain intuitive sense on the surface of it, and was of course completely wrong.

Every Ork, and every Tyranid, of course, were on their way to Golgotha.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

How long until they all realize that Golgotha is just the killing ground for the infinite von-neumann fleets of Olympus?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

wiegieman posted:

How long until they all realize that Golgotha is just the killing ground for the infinite von-neumann fleets of Olympus?

Von neumann fleets have to come from somewhere :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Pfft, grey goo ain't got nothing on the burgeoning terminatork spores.