Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We can purge later, maybe. A group of unsanctioned and u trained psykers who can avoid going bad or summoning bad things for multiple generations? That sounds like an asset, a trumpy trump card.

C. With the aim of recruiting the psyker clan and secretly moving them onto the ship and into between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Current polling:

A
B
C x x x x x x x x
D x x
E

With an option of purge or recruit later

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

C We can bring them on the ship as our own psyker squad, or if they don't want to we can purge them

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
D

We kicked a demon into a pit of bleach. We are the voice of the Omnissiah in this place and a little thing like a room of corpses spitting lightening is nothing to us. Do your worst.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
C

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

B

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Let's find out more about what's going on here. We're a talky sort of tech-priest. C.

Then of course we're going to want to purge them or figure out how to use them to kill Limosa or something. But there's no rush.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Woo! We have broken 2000 posts. At the 1000 marker, we had just ran away from fought Abraxus for the first time.

A
B x
C x x x x x, x x x x x, x
D x x x
E

My new years party got canceled (no one showed up at the bar we planned for) so I might do another post tonite. We'll see.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
C

Sorry to hear about your party. Happy new year!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
A

We're the Inquisition god dammit and this is the standard diplomatic actions with a witch :flame:

Trying to reason with an untrained psyker in an unknown enclosed area with no psychic protection at all is a really, really bad idea.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B

I'm not sure we can actually tell whether a psyker is sanctioned, it's far outside our area of expertise. I suggest ve talk to them, but keep our guard up. If things start looking bad, this may end up involving grenades.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Happy new years everyone!

Mother

You bit your tongue to keep from screaming. You could feel their pressure in the room, like a great vulture flapping its wings. Was this what the Omnissiah wanted for you? To die in unhallowed ground, deep below the earth? Your parts would never be processed back into your Family and your Ship, and your name would be forgotten.

Mother cackled than, a dozen voices laughing at once. You dropped to a knee, hands on your ears, trying to keep the horrid sound yet. It clawed at your soul. You had felt the vileness of the Great Enemy, and this wasn’t it, but it felt a horror all its own. Psykers were trained or killed for this very reason.

“Ah… ah. So nice to see a Tech-Priest with caution.” The voices mixed, over and under each other, a babble that you wish you couldn’t understand. “The last one we met was nearly five centuries ago. He attacked us the moment he saw us, and had to be be rendered down to parts. You can still hear part of him in the vents, still breathing for us down here….”

Keep it together. If you were to fight this creature, this monster, you needed to do it on your own terms, and on your own ground. Right now, delay, deceive. If it wanted to talk, you could do that. You had talked with worse, not even weeks ago. And it had ended in a pool of bleach, dissolving before your eyes. “My name is Ohone.”

Again, that horrid cackle. After it was done, you saw blood on your palms.

“But its not, is it?” The bodies began rocking back and force in a slow tempo. At first you thought it was a spell of some sort, but quickly realized. It was your full name, the binary, translated to High Gothic. “That’s what it is. ‘Praise to the Machine God!’ they called you, in the factories, in the furnaces, in the hives. You aren’t Ohone at all.”

Those terrible eyes stared at you from every seat in the room. “We know all about hiding our true selves, don’t we, Ohone. Concealing our true potential from the merely human.” She spat the word. “Do you know. Do you know what it has been like? Able to see the Astronomicon down here, but unable to reach it? To be trapped with these stupid, worthless creatures. Watching them degrade over the long years. They are barely human. In a short time, they won’t even be that, and we’ll be here, a cyclopean gaze presiding over a congress of maggots.” Her last sentence was a shriek, rattling the room. A storm of razors flared into existence, tore through the fungal walls, vanished.

You racked your brains. What to say to an insane psyker? “You are an Astropath?”
“We were. Long, long ago. We weren’t even supposed to be down here. And then the Fissure trapped us, and all these animals. They thought we could make it out at first. Then they tried to memorialize themselves. The Ten Thousand, pah! They finally made a life down here. They all gave up, all of them.

“We never gave up. We found unsanctioned psykers. We devoured them. A group mind - yes, we see your revulsion. We don’t care. We are still alive. Still guiding this worthless insect mound out of the earth. New psykers are added to us, kept in place by our first sanctioning. The pain of that echoes down all the long lifetimes, we assure you.”

The bodies seem to slump back in their seats. “Bah. You’ve listened to an old woman long enough. There is an elevator shaft that connects to the surface. Tanya can show you. None of the people we’ve sent can reach the platform. None of them come back, to rescue us. They all fail ... fall.

“Repair the platform, little Tech Priest, and I will tell you where your refinery is. Repair the platform, or never leave.”

What do you do?

A. Attack her (or come back with troops and attack). Wyches get fire.
B. Bring the convoy to the elevator shaft. You need to work on your escape plan, and can do something about Mother later. Whether it’s destroy, ignore, or recruit, you haven’t decided.
C. Well, time for some R and R. Restock on food, let the troops let off some steam. God-Emperor knows you need a quiet space.
D. You can’t attack her without dealing with the town first. Return to the convoy, tell the troops to open fire. The Heretics will be purged!
E. Something else.

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 1, 2015

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B. Seems prudent enough to get an exit plan before a purge.

How heretical is what the Astropath did? Somewhat bad or SUPER DUPER bad?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

B. Seems prudent enough to get an exit plan before a purge.

How heretical is what the Astropath did? Somewhat bad or SUPER DUPER bad?

Not being sanctioned means the mind can be claimed by other warp-things. What this psyker did was essentially turn itself into something similar to a demon. It's a warp entity wearing the flesh of other creatures in order to sustain it's own existence. The only thing keeping this from being worse is that the warp entity is still soul-bound to the Emperor and it is somehow in control of the non-bound souls.

Either way, it's at risk of causing a Major Incursion. Enslavers would love to get their minds on her mind.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
B. An escape route is definitely prudent to have, and if we can get these people out of the tunnels, Mother might willingly give up the power they've stripped away since we've saved the humans. Maybe that, or go insane. Worth finding out though, methinks!

Also, Happy New Year, all!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B. We have a mission, she could be a tool. If the rest of the people are still more or less Imperial, we could have thousands of extra bodies, loyal to us personally if we become the Foreman sent by the Omnissiah to rescue them. Mother falls within the purview of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, not the Mechanicus, but there IS a sanctioned and soul-bound astropath in there somewhere, despite what circumstances may have made necessary. It's not THAT heretical to work with her.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Waci posted:

B. We have a mission, she could be a tool. If the rest of the people are still more or less Imperial, we could have thousands of extra bodies, loyal to us personally if we become the Foreman sent by the Omnissiah to rescue them. Mother falls within the purview of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, not the Mechanicus, but there IS a sanctioned and soul-bound astropath in there somewhere, despite what circumstances may have made necessary. It's not THAT heretical to work with her.

B
Where other see only heresy, a rogue trader-to-be/radical inquisitor see PROFIT.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

FireSight posted:

Not being sanctioned means the mind can be claimed by other warp-things. What this psyker did was essentially turn itself into something similar to a demon. It's a warp entity wearing the flesh of other creatures in order to sustain it's own existence. The only thing keeping this from being worse is that the warp entity is still soul-bound to the Emperor and it is somehow in control of the non-bound souls.

Either way, it's at risk of causing a Major Incursion. Enslavers would love to get their minds on her mind.

This is similar to what the emperor does actually. And so it must burn, once we have a way out.

B

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
b

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B We cab burn down the whole town later.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

B

Lets get a way out now and burn down the monstrosity later when we have the stuff! Try not to think about that too much though, would hate to have it turn on us at some inopportune moment caus they mindread our eventual betrayal :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
B deal with it later. Besides, we need that food processing plant. That is what it meant, right?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Volmarias posted:

B deal with it later. Besides, we need that food processing plant. That is what it meant, right?

Yup. Repair the elevator platform and help her leave, and she'll tell you where it is.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

FireSight posted:

Where the hell did this talk of AI suddenly come from?

Alien, by Ridley Scott.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
B. Whatever is going on with Mother, I'm sure it can be made to guide a fleet of bulk haulers with minimal acceptable side-effects.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tias posted:

B. Whatever is going on with Mother, I'm sure it can be made to guide a fleet of bulk haulers with minimal acceptable side-effects.

Yeah. Lets get heretical.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Just like to say this thread made me go download all the gaunts ghosts books and both the eisenhorn and ravenor omnibuses. I would gladly sacrifice my entire family to the EMPRAH for more updates, keep up the good work

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

B
Where other see only heresy, a rogue trader-to-be/radical inquisitor see PROFIT.

This! Let's do B. We can kill it with fire after it gets us a refinery and an escape. Or we can leverage it for lots of cash.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tibbeh posted:

Just like to say this thread made me go download all the gaunts ghosts books and both the eisenhorn and ravenor omnibuses. I would gladly sacrifice my entire family to the EMPRAH for more updates, keep up the good work

Thank you! :D Also consider checking out COMMISSAR CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM. Its among my favorite 40k line.

I'm finding it interesting that the last 3-4 votes have been pretty unanimous in whatever they choose. Im wondering if I should be putting more effort into the options, or keep it as is.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I believe that we can eventually develop into a sort of Inquisitor who believes he can serve the Emperor by means perhaps not considered conventional, without necessarily falling to Chaos. There are even strains of Puritan inquisitorial thought that I think might work for us. Thorianism might work, in that we might seek to bring the Emperor/Omnissiah into the world. More likely we'd be Amalathianists, in that we have already proven ourselves eager to work with many groups and cooperate in order for the sake of the Empire.

If we want to dip our toes in the Radical pond, we could become Recongregationists, a type of Radical Inquistor who believes the Imperium needs to slowly change in order to prosper. There are others, but these seem to be the types most fitting for our character.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Jumping on the B :bandwagon:; we need to recover that processing plant, and these tech-aborigines can probably be convinced to come with us when we repair the elevator and help run the thing, especially since they kinda want to return to the surface anyway. We'll deal with Mother later, there's still a Sanctioned Astropath at the bottom of the collective, but the witch probably will need purging afterwards. Depends on how helpful it is, I guess.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I can't help but thinking about this song when I was reading that last post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuK0f-Zur9A

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GhostStalker posted:

Jumping on the B :bandwagon:; we need to recover that processing plant, and these tech-aborigines can probably be convinced to come with us when we repair the elevator and help run the thing, especially since they kinda want to return to the surface anyway. We'll deal with Mother later, there's still a Sanctioned Astropath at the bottom of the collective, but the witch probably will need purging afterwards. Depends on how helpful it is, I guess.

We'll pawn it off to a ship manned by someone we don't like!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
While Mother is existentially terrifying, we should get back to the vehicles and enact plan B. If we have to we can burn the place. Mother is, however, a potentially very useful tool - the ability to conceive of tools to develop tools is a sign of the Omnissiah's blessing, and we should not ignore it. If we can, take Mother with us when we leave the planet. She could be a powerful minion, if she can be controlled.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B and Hella Purge that thing once we have what we need

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

Thank you! :D Also consider checking out COMMISSAR CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM. Its among my favorite 40k line.

I'm finding it interesting that the last 3-4 votes have been pretty unanimous in whatever they choose. Im wondering if I should be putting more effort into the options, or keep it as is.

Nah, all the votes have had good options, but I think the story's been going on for long enough that we've managed to form a common idea of what kind of person Ohone is and should become, so most people are voting for the options that keep us on that track.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
As we are an Inquisitor, and this is a powerful thing that is... was... an astropath, then there's a procedure to be followed here. The appropriate thing to do would be to take advantage of this thing's abilities as much as we can, and then turn it over next time we come across a Black Ship. More fuel to stoke the embers of the Emperor's heart.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

LowellDND posted:

I totally have read several ciaphas cain books and they are indeed excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

JT Jag posted:

As we are an Inquisitor, and this is a powerful thing that is... was... an astropath, then there's a procedure to be followed here. The appropriate thing to do would be to take advantage of this thing's abilities as much as we can, and then turn it over next time we come across a Black Ship. More fuel to stoke the embers of the Emperor's heart.

We need to build our Retinue! Keep the Astropath.