Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgMAFXaVOXk

So, the trip to Cali is what did it. My sister, aunt, girlfriend and me all got some sort of hideous thing. Before going to the ER, I tried Tylenol, Alka-seltzer, Ibuprofen, Albuteral, Asmanex, bayers, zyrtec, chest congestion relief, promethazine, and cough drops :v: Not all at once, within recommended timings, whatevers.

The ER had me doing an oxygen mask, antibiotics, saline, and potassium tablets, and they sent me home with Levofloxcain, pantoprazole, acetemtophin, and methylprednisolone. Still have a bit of a wheeze, but feeling so much better :D

No tripping balls yet, but I remain hopeful :v:

edit: Man, that means I did like 13k words in a handful of days right as bronchitis was building up. I thought it was just writer fatigue :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ooh, a steroid. Perfect for writing some Khornate fuckery.

I had a horrible lung infection in one of the early years after my emigration to the US so I can understand and feel your pain. Regional sickness susceptibility blows goats.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 408,105

The Despoiler

In his heart, Abaddon was a cautious man. Pragmatic. Practical. His clone-father, Horus, had bet everything on one roll of the dice, and failed. Abaddon, however, had never - ever - fully committed to anything. The foremost question in his mind, the largest lesson he learned from the Horus Heresy - If it all goes to hell and I need to flee for the horizon, what does my comeback look like?

Afterall, he was a Space Marine, effectively immortal - he didn’t need to conquer the galaxy in five years. In many ways, he didn’t even like the flashy, legendary victories. Better the slow-burn, the more consummate victory. It was fine to take a few centuries to slowly stack marginal gains. Legends were forgotten. Abaddon was forever.

Certainly, those marginal gains might occasionally surface into what the Imperium might recognize as a coordinated plan - his seizure of the Blackstone Fortresses are the classic example. But even those events are fins on an even bigger serpent - the constricting snake at the heart of the galaxy.

Never commit to a plan you can’t back out of.

It explained his Undivided devotion to Chaos, as well - just enough to placate each patron, never enough to be sworn to one or the other. Always leave yourself that margin, that gap of flexibility. In his heart of hearts, he was as contemptuous of those who fell for the promises of Chaos as those who stayed loyal to the Corpse-Emperor. Use the Warp, don’t let it use you.

Much like Horus, he was a consummate diplomat - the warbands he assembled knew someone was getting betrayed, that entire factions would shatter under his command. But what he offered was so tempting, and with the whispering of their Patrons in their ear… they fell in line despite themselves. The Imperium considered Abaddon one of the deadliest warriors in the Imperium - but it was in conversation that he truly excelled.

If you just did as he asked, and believed hard enough…

This was the old and regal serpent that had come to Golgotha.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeap, steroids, antibiotic, and heavy-duty cough suppressants were what I got.

I bet Abaddon only lead these guys here because he'd become irrelevant if he didn't. :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

Yeap, steroids, antibiotic, and heavy-duty cough suppressants were what I got.

I bet Abaddon only lead these guys here because he'd become irrelevant if he didn't. :v:

Trying to reframe him as someone who didn't lose 13 times in a row and avoided warp beasting is hard okay :v:

Edit: For those who don't know him, Abaddon is one of the major big bads in canon, so I haven't used him much. If you don't know much about him, the general opinion of him ... isnt great :v: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Abaddon

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 8, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Does your interpretation have arms?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Waci posted:

Does your interpretation have arms?

snakes dont have arms

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

snakes dont have arms

The warp is a hell of a drug. My question stands.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008

LowellDND posted:

snakes dont have arms

Slice of life?: "fam"

"Thanks fam" Abbadon nodded to the figure behind him.

To the camera, both of Abbadon's arm seemed to detach and move away.

The silent figure plodded off into the shadows, always ready if needed.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 408,461

Despoiler

Every tool had their place. The xeno-swarm was devouring itself, outside of human control, but also outside of human interest - the forces of Humanity wanted the STC, while the xenos… simply wanted more biomass. In a strange way, the two wars had started their own mitosis, xenos focusing on the sheer scale of the combat, while Humanity looking at that one vital point.

The Dark Mechanicus, committed first. Not blocked by Cadia, they could assemble and arrive first, and had. Prepared the battlefield, as it were, and mulched up one of the Imperial Crusades quite nicely. They were running out … most everything, but that’s what they get for being the first wave. Much the same could be said of the Khornate Legions. Tip of the spear, getting right in the blood and guts of the war.

They could hardly be deployed otherwise, frankly. Angron and Kharn were in the center of it, climbing the mountains of their dead enemies in search for more prey. Not very subtle, World-Eaters, but a rather excellent shock group. The forces of Nurgle were percolating where they felt best, and even simple battlefield diseases like malaria or dysentery had killed billions.

The Dark Eldar, always at the edge of vision. Ambushing, torturing, killing. Focused far more on ‘art of the kill’ and ‘aesthetic’. Pah. Sometimes you just needed to sit down and take the objective. But they were decent flank forces and skirmishers, and every dead Imperial they collected was one less that he had to deal with.

And in reserve, his personal troops, the Black Legion. Committed only when absolutely necessary, and perhaps not even then. They were the core by which he could rebuild his efforts … but a revitalized Imperium with an STC would mean the shadow of his Legions would be fighting an Imperium at the height of their power. And, perhaps, Abaddon was considering how far he was willing to risk to avoid it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I wonder which Imperium general decided that Golgotha needing as many people as possible was worth stripping the forces from Cadia, because that's not a decision we made. Slowing down the demons' advance to Golgotha by forcing them to go through one of the most heavily fortified worlds in the Galaxy in exchange for a smaller human attacking force is an exchange I would have happily made.

We should investigate whoever made that decision, imo. Probably a heretic who used the confusion of the STC's discovery to give Chaos some help.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I wonder which Imperium general decided that Golgotha needing as many people as possible was worth stripping the forces from Cadia, because that's not a decision we made. Slowing down the demons' advance to Golgotha by forcing them to go through one of the most heavily fortified worlds in the Galaxy in exchange for a smaller human attacking force is an exchange I would have happily made.

We should investigate whoever made that decision, imo. Probably a heretic who used the confusion of the STC's discovery to give Chaos some help.

I am envisioning "Sending a galaxy-wide message through the Astronomican" as this like, atavistic near-biological compulsion as opposed to a psychic telegraph capable of tactical nuance. I mean they're harnessing the big huge blind power of the Emperor.

Agreedo, though, whoever had the idea for people to go to Golgotha are totes 100% grade-A heretics.

e: I don't think the Cadians ever showed up at Golgotha, though. Abbadon and [Dark Eldar leader] were wondering where they were. Maybe... they're heading to Terra? :frogbon:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

poor life choice posted:

I am envisioning "Sending a galaxy-wide message through the Astronomican" as this like, atavistic near-biological compulsion as opposed to a psychic telegraph capable of tactical nuance. I mean they're harnessing the big huge blind power of the Emperor.

Agreedo, though, whoever had the idea for people to go to Golgotha are totes 100% grade-A heretics.

e: I don't think the Cadians ever showed up at Golgotha, though. Abbadon and [Dark Eldar leader] were wondering where they were. Maybe... they're heading to Terra? :frogbon:
I imagine it'd just be "ALL FORCES ON CLASS X (or whatever) FORTRESS WORLDS UNDER SIEGE, HOLD GROUND. ALL OTHER FLEETS, GO TO GOLGOTHA"

Basically, whatever designation is given solely to Cadia and Armageddon.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The gate fell, that's why there's chaos crap at our doorstep. Keep in mind that when we released Athena, she reconnoitered with her avatars and basically is running everything behind the scenes to get everyone that poses a challenge to her reviving the Mars Federation into one spot where they are all going to be trapped by Necron Temporal rear end-hattery.

In the background we have a few power players lined up angling for different shots.

Athena wants to restore Mars and also wreck poo poo because the galaxy disgusts her.

Hera is in survival mode and waiting to strike out at Athena who she thinks betrayed them all.

Loki/Morningstar is doing some bullshit, most likely corrupted by chaos.

Chaos gods just wanna chaos, not going to really step in until they are threatened.

The Emperor is still dead and mostly armless but waking up soon which will be a loving shitshow.

Space Grandpa is an unknown at this point and we should really find out who and what his stance is.

Anna is pulling some strings way bigger than she should and is basically using the Terra Chaos fleet for something nefarious.

Ohone really needs to step up to the big leagues and stop piddling with these mortals.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I imagine it'd just be "ALL FORCES ON CLASS X (or whatever) FORTRESS WORLDS UNDER SIEGE, HOLD GROUND. ALL OTHER FLEETS, GO TO GOLGOTHA"

Basically, whatever designation is given solely to Cadia and Armageddon.

I imagined it like the scene in Stephen King's Dreamcatcher where a psychic, intellectually disabled guy made an alien crave "A BACON SANDWICH!!! WITH MAYO!!!" so bad the alien had to stop his evil mission to go compulsively eat the unprepared ingredients well past the point of satiety.

Lowell you don't, uh, have to go full Stephen King if you don't wanna.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I LOVE YOU BACON!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Send a emperor fax to the nids letting them know how amazingly delcious black holes are, just TONS of biomass in there you guys.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

poor life choice posted:

I imagined it like the scene in Stephen King's Dreamcatcher where a psychic, intellectually disabled guy made an alien crave "A BACON SANDWICH!!! WITH MAYO!!!" so bad the alien had to stop his evil mission to go compulsively eat the unprepared ingredients well past the point of satiety.

Lowell you don't, uh, have to go full Stephen King if you don't wanna.

Dreamcatcher made me feel like I was tripping balls reading it. Hell of a change from the Stand :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 408,786

The Despoiler

“Sire.”
The dreg’s voice was servile, face downcast. Abaddon turned, looked at the small thing before him. “What is it?”
“Sensors report a large fleet entering the system. Imperial.”
“Show me.”

The map of the solar system expanded under the will of their processors - a hundred human heads lay in a circle, their brains wired together, presenting the images at the speed of thought. Abaddon tapped his claw thoughtfully on his armor, the daemons chained within whispering constantly. They served him, they did not command him.

The positioning of the new fleet was … nearly perfect. He could already see Space Marine frigates deploying around the edges, destroyers in the center. They had cut off any free routes of escape - he would either have to contest the xeno swarm, the Space Marines, or at the center … tens of thousands of fresh Imperial Navy ships.

“What Chapters are those?”
“White Scars at the flanks. Space Wolves at the center.”
Hm, indeed. He had already committed a substantial portion of his forces to the breach. They were a sunk cost. The question then: what to do with the reserve force? If he attempted to escape now, it would have been a significant and painful defeat for him, with no gains made.

“Send a message to Vect.”
“Yes Sire.”
A moment passed. The Dark Eldar appeared on the screen, doing something that made even Abaddon raise his eyebrows. “Did I call at a bad time?
“Hm? Oh, this? Just passing the time.” The xeno showed his teeth in a feral smile. “You’ve seen our new visitors.”
“A third fleet, in perfect position to contain us.”
“Layers upon layers, my friend. We released Jaghatai Kahn.”
Abaddon swallowed back curses. “Knowing a Primarch was on the field would have been helpful.”
“The thing we released is a Primarch no more, just a mewling mess. The agony of the White Scars when they found him was heard across the galaxy - a most exquisite meal. And now they come with rage in their hearts. A most excellent spice, for the devouring.”

By the Corpse-God. With allies like this, who needed enemies?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Nobody likes you, dark eldar scum. Go be weird and kinky somewhere else.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Arkanomen posted:

Nobody likes you, dark eldar scum. Go be weird and kinky somewhere else.

But, but nipple tassles and pears of anguish and and and

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I think the eldar sounds like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uvt83YWWWY

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hexenritter posted:

But, but nipple tassles and pears of anguish and and and

I was happier when I thought that was an actual fruit.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There Bias Two posted:

I was happier when I thought that was an actual fruit.

We have such things to show you.... :eventhorizonemoticon:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Nargash Da Krumpinator. Location: The Doomcrawler

If it were several orders of magnitude smaller, it would have been a battlewagon, but the Doomcrawler was much, much larger than that. It was large enough to qualify as a small town on wheels, and it was festooned with large turrets, bright red smokestacks and walkways from which the remnants of Nargash's krew occasionally launched high explosive munitions into slithering, chittering beasts that attempted to scale the spiked hull. Once in a while, rather than rokkits, the Orks serving aboard the Doomcrawler would dogpile onto a Tyranid and pummel it into unconsciousness before dragging it into one of the shacks constructed atop the Doomcrawler.

Emerging from one such shack was the towering form of Nargash, his left eye replaced with a bionic monocle that whirred and clicked as half a dozen different lenses popped up or slid into place. He squinted a bit and crammed his large fingers into another Ork's mouth, though it looked little like an Ork's mouth any more. Instead, the lower jaw was studded with dozens of long, spinelike teeth and the entire right side of his face was striated with thick veins and of a plum purple hue.

"Dish ishn't makin' it any eashier Bosh."

"Shut it fer a minute an' lemme look. We may need ta extend yer 'eadbone a bit so's da new teef don't mess wiv yer words."

"Shtill dunno why ya 'ad to put dish fing on my 'ead, da teef tashte funny."

"Progress. We'z buildin' a better Ork. You wanna be krumpy, or ya wanna be whiny?"

"Krumpy..."

"Then shut yer trap."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:D

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Creed
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Just_As_Planned#Just_As_planned_Moment_Creation explaining the joke :v:

Current: 409,162

Imperial Fleet, Third Wave

Jazmine chuckled. “I would really love to be a fly on the wall in Abaddon’s bridge right now.”
At their glances, she shrugged defensively. “Can’t you just picture it? ‘Such a perfect mouse trap! Only some kind of tactical geniu … CREEEEEEEEEEED!’

The Lord Castellan’s expression was stony, but it was rarely anything else. He was a short, squat brick wall of a man, pockmarked and ugly. He was also one of the finest generals to come out of Cadia, one of the most active military sites in the galaxy. Prior to Ohone, anyway. He grunted a shrug.

“Letting the gate open and closing it behind them wasn’t any particular genius. He wouldn’t resist the opening, he would be pulled into the morass, and we close the door. All we had to do was wait in the quiet for them to pass, and then follow in their wake. No, the real luck was the arrival coordinates.”

“Ah yes.” Jazmine smiled across the table. “Inquisitor Athena. I’m surprised we haven’t worked together before, you seem to have a talent for creating the largest conflicts available.”
Athena chuckled. “I think we’d all leave that to Inquisitor Ohone.”
“Still.” Jazmine’s tone was humourless, her smile wide. “It’s strange.”
“It’s a big galaxy, I suppose.”

“Enough.” The voice rumbled down at them. “My brother is nearly insane, drawn to vengeance against the vile Eldar. The Great Companies are gathered. The Wolftime is here, and I have returned to finish the war against Chaos.”
“Well.” Athena smiled at the Primarch Leman Russ. “On that I couldn’t agree more.”

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 9, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Should have gone with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjRUee5S44w

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
All that matters is that there are long-haired guys really earnestly making silly faces. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG8orlq6_yE

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! They even got the Old Wolf out of the Eye of Terror for this poo poo!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! They even got the Old Wolf out of the Eye of Terror for this poo poo!

When I do editing Ill prolly have the cadians go INTO the Eye after Abaddon leaves (while its empty), grab the Wolf in an epic heist, and then pursue Abaddon :v: Thats a hell of a story right there.

Also, have some Van Canto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f8V1QSf7yg

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 9, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wonder what Magnus is up to right now...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

I wonder what Magnus is up to right now...

Magnus, also known as the Crimson King, believed that the Light of Chaos kept the universe running.

Do we know any royal lightbringers in the cast? What have they been doing really? :tinfoil:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

Magnus, also known as the Crimson King, believed that the Light of Chaos kept the universe running.

Do we know any royal lightbringers in the cast? What have they been doing really? :tinfoil:

Magnus, bringer of light and First and most beloved of The Emperor, The Morningstar, speaker of Lies and trickster of the Faithful! Currently chatting up our enemies and friends.

ALL IS LOST! :supaburn::tinfoil::derp:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 409,433

Far away

The Dragon shuffled, dealt. “What do you think?”
Lucifer, Tzeentch, and the Laughing God drew.
Lucifer spoke. “He won’t do it. He has always, always backed out if forced. He will never be cornered like his father was.” Was his tone sad? It was hard to tell.
The Laughing God chuckled, played. “He will. If he leaves, his destiny is ignominy. If he stays, he wins or he dies.”
Tzeentch drew. “He holds. He still thinks Gorgon might assist him.” Frowned, played.
The Dragon picked up the cards. “I agree with Lucifer. He’s never shown the willingness to fully commit.”
Another round past. The Laughing God dealt. “He’s never been mousetrapped like this. Even when facing a defeat, he could expect to be at full strength in a few centuries. The Imperium in a few centuries from now? His choices are die here, die later, or win here.”
The Dragon drew. “Think Gorgon will assist him? Or head for Terra?”
Lucifer shrugged. “I don’t think Gorgon has any loyalty to him, Slaanesh, or anyone. I think she wants a seat at the table.” Nods all around.
Tzeentch discarded, played. “Who are our other contenders?”
The Laughing God picked them up. “Ahriman.”
Lucifer nodded. “Seeing him here …. would be something, I would say.” The tone was definitely sad.
New round. Dragon spoke. “Eldrad.” The Laughing God chuckled again. “I hope so.”

-

Far, far below them, Abaddon made his choice.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
:manning:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Those are the major plot points I have for Golgotha, so most everything left is SoLs, player written scenes, things like that. Fit the sandbox and have fun :v:

Meanwhile, Imma check my Terra notes, and see if we can get this war really cooking :D

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I want to filp THAT table

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Also, Old-Sire has finished his character-arc in my notes, so off he goes to semi-canonical space-cat-terra adventures. Talk to Waci if you wanna use the trio for an SoL. I kind of picture it as 'Retired, Extremely Dangerous', but yeah :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Travis, Optimized

It was mostly a blur. The demon lurching down the hall, some fevered screaming into a vox, then there wasn't much else but fire and pain, and the voice of the devil in the guise of a small child. What was left of my brain twisted inward as the mutant bits tried to keep going. Little circuits of warp-fire all trying to connect to where they used to. I saw into the abyss, hung between life and something worse. I think I saw the Great Bird. An eye that smiled at me as it slowly drew close. A snapping beak and the smell of roasting liver. I heard the most beautiful song. I can't remember how it went. Something pulled me back, pulled all the little pieces back and started to sew them together. New connections formed as old ones were cut away. Clarity gave way to consciousness and consciousness brought the pain back. I knew I felt the agony of being in many different pieces, it was an animal pain, something easily ignored. I opened my eyes and saw the Lord Sire.

She looked curious, fascinated and her servant was horrified. I felt my throat return to me and I told her about what lurked beneath. I lapsed back into sleep, but no dreams came. I learned the rest later and wasn't really aware until halfway in the Emperor's grace. A new clarity muted the world. The paranoia that once sang in the shadows was gone, along with the joy I knew I should feel in His presence. No, it was quiet now. Muted and the warp fire I once held in check simply... flowed. I still could guess the future, it didn't tire me as much now that all my emotions were optimized out. I still could not see as far as the little beacon of wretchedness with us.

Knoxie, the recently sanctioned precog. He had survived the ordeal that all sanctioned psykers endured. I felt his pain and his fear. The images that leaked from his mind. Death, painful death, fearfully dying, and then more death. The Lordsire sure had stepped into a mess of fate. I would be the same as Knoxie if not for the alteration. Internally my mind followed the flow of emotion, watched it flow and twist around the room. I took care to avoid looking too long at the monster Ohone calls a friend. I never liked Eddie, always dangling what he was in front of those who could see. Now, it was just a bright light that blocked observation. I felt the little pit in my mind where the machine had twisted my mind to sink the instability inherent in psykers. I was fortunate to be weak enough for this fix to work. I saw... resentment, my own, towards being altered and also shame at being angry over my usage by the Lordsire. Hope from living through my ordeal as well as a number of other emotions too complex to name. They all twisted down that pit and away. All psyker's know this feeling. That of the Pariah, yet my soul persisted. How useful.

I reached out, more mentally than physically as my chair did not afford much movement. I took the images that came to Knoxie, washed them through my own mind and returned them to him, muted and gentle. Well as much as infinite visions of pain and death can be muted. Instead of screaming visions they became images, impressions, facts. Much more digestible. The system was strange and defied causality, however with two precogs and the warp time is always a little messy. I felt a satisfaction, purely logical, at being still of use.

> I don't mean to intrude Knoxie, but I think we can help each other. I think this arraignment is of use to us both.