Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can we use a statement so vaguely specific it can't be twisted.

'Freeze everything within X AU of Golgotha, you know what I mean, don't twist my words around.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
If we are afraid she will twist it to use it all over the place, just phrase it like it being a One Time permission thing.

I don't care though! Yay Athena! Do whatever you want!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
get hera to appoint fabiyan to the council

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

get hera to appoint fabiyan to the council

Can't we do that too?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

sullat posted:

Can't we do that too?

If we can, full steam ahead.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Get Hera to appoint Ching Shih, not Fabiyan.

As much as we love Fabiyan, he's still a part of the Imperial war-machine. If we want any sort of change in the long term, we need to change his view of things.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Have Hera convert us into a Mind. That way we can be equal to Athena but outside her predations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Appoint Devries

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Waci posted:

Get Hera to appoint Ching Shih, not Fabiyan.

As much as we love Fabiyan, he's still a part of the Imperial war-machine. If we want any sort of change in the long term, we need to change his view of things.

Agree with this

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Consult Hera. I'm getting more and more suspicious of Athena. It worries me that we're already essentially at her mercy and if she does go rogue there's basically nothing we can do to stop her.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
One AI that doesn't like the other, but that in theory (also?) has the interests of humanity somewhere in its cold robot hearts could be a decent balance.

Until they squash their beef. :unsmigghh:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rahul posted:

Consult Hera. I'm getting more and more suspicious of Athena. It worries me that we're already essentially at her mercy and if she does go rogue there's basically nothing we can do to stop her.

On the one hand, yea, but in the flash forward/preview we just saw Athena was still helping kill off other threats to Humanity (Necrons) so we prooobably don't go right to KILL ALL HUMANS.exe

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Yeah but there was also a future where Ohone was all Eldar'd up and we sprinted away from that'un.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Current: 435,138

Scalia is dead

You kissed him quickly. “Hey, I want to check some of the Magos databanks. Wait for me?”
“Of course. I’ll start cleaning up.”
“Thanks.” You kissed him again, stepped out of the room. A quick check of the cameras, followed a route where no one was, and you were on one of the observation decks.

“Hera.”
She appeared next to you, looking at you distastefully. “Councillor.”
“You can see that?”
“All Minds in service of the Council know when there’s a new appointment.”
“You disagree with it?”
“I disagree with Athena.”
You chuckled despite yourself. “You don’t think I’m the best candidate for the Science position?”
“I think it’s a charade. One nomination, one voting citizen. It’s not about you, it’s about authorizing her emergency powers.”
“So those are real?”
“The Mars restrictions? Yes. Usually the entire Federation would be asked about something like this. You don’t appreciate how big a deal it is, to change the operating protocols.”
“How often did it happen?”
“‘In all possible speed’?” She considered. “Maybe twice. Once was for fighting the war AIs.”
“I see. So you think I should place restrictions on it.”
“I don’t think you should authorize it at all. Partly because it’s a sham of democracy, but mostly because this is her trap.”
You blinked. “Why would democracy matter? It’s a semi-heretical bit of nonsense.”
“You may think that, but a Mind would not. The fact that she is trying to rush this through without the full populace of sophonts shows she’s up to something.”
“It would take millennia to get them involved.”
“Doesn’t matter. There are principles.” She looked at you distastefully again. “You may, technically, be able to authorize it. But it’s a gross and shameful thing, and she is gross for even considering it.”

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Anyone you want to nominate?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Once when fighting the war AI's.... When was the other time?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Outrail posted:

Once when fighting the war AI's.... When was the other time?

This. Also maybe breach nominating Fabiyan - he'd certainly stick a wrench in Athena's plans, which seems to be what Hera is all about.

Please thread, let's recognize the giant red flags. For once. Maybe.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

drat. I learn from Lowell that Scalia is dead. This next election is getting even more important. Imagine Trump putting a guy in the Supreme Court.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

drat. I learn from Lowell that Scalia is dead. This next election is getting even more important. Imagine Trump putting a guy in the Supreme Court.

Most likely there will be 3 Justices appointed in the next 4 1/2 years

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

From the campaign thread:

Shakugan posted:
Trump's strategy should now be to say that Cruz should be defeated in the primary because he's needed as a Justice on the Supreme Court. It would be beyond concern trolling; I don't even know what you'd call it.

Jewel Repetition posted:
"You don't have to be able to make deals as a justice. You don't have to be natural born to be a justice. And when you're in law you SUPPOSED to use dirty tricks. I'd nominate him day 1."

:D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

As an aside, the longest time to fill a vacancy was two years.

https://books.google.com/books?id=k...vacancy&f=false

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

poo poo. We need to populate the Council with as many reasonable people as possible, then, so she can't manipulate us.

also, don't authorize anything. Hera has known her a hell of a lot longer than we have. She's vital to keeping Athena in check.

Deities can be malicious and vengeful. See: Old Testament. Don't walk into ANYONE'S traps.

Ideally, come up with our own plan with Fabiyan's help. Then give extremely specific commands to Athena and Hera in order to put that plan into action.

edit: do we still have the formula for the Tyranid-killing virus? can we order Athena to mass-produce it?

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 14, 2016

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Granting emergency powers to a unilaterally acting figurehead has worked out so well before in other science-fiction franchises!!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Anticheese posted:

Granting emergency powers to a unilaterally acting figurehead has worked out so well before in other science-fiction franchises!!

We must follow the Golden Path

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Bring Ching Shih in as counsel

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

meteloides posted:

We need to populate the Council with as many reasonable people as possible, then, so she can't manipulate us.

edit: do we still have the formula for the Tyranid-killing virus? can we order Athena to mass-produce it?

One AI, one council member :D So, Hera would need to nominate one.

The virus was specially made for that particular brand of Tyranid. That Magos wasn't totally crazy, so built in a fail-safe.

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 14, 2016

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
And what would you do Hera?

I wonder why Athena wants to do a rush job?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arkanomen posted:

And what would you do Hera?

I wonder why Athena wants to do a rush job?

More time to focus on Chaos.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 435,440

Ominous Foreshadowing

“What was the other time?”
“Hm?”
“The other time the Minds got full Authorization.”
If anything, her face twisted even further. “Chronos.”
“I’m sorry?”
“The Order of Chronos. They had figured out how to change time.”
“Wait, no. That’s definitely not possible. I’ve done it myself, I know.”
“We thought that too. We were under assault before we even knew there was a war - things changing without us knowing. It took us centuries to even figure out the pattern was slightly off, and centuries more to prove it to the sophonts.”
You blinked. “I’ve never heard of this.”
Hera showed her teeth. “We erased them. They never were. Never had been.”
“So… you are the only one who remembers? No proof, no history books?”
“And the other Minds. We undid them, and enforced the strictures of Time on ourselves. Never again.”
“Athena says she wants to use temporal engines at Golgotha.”
Hera almost growled. “Ask yourself why. Why would she want to break strictures we’ve had in place for twenty millennia?”

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
uh yeah, ask Hera to nominate a council member.

and recommend people for citizenship

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

shiiiiiit poo poo poo poo poo poo. things are not good.

continue getting info from Hera and don't do ANYTHING Athena asks. this has "BAD IDEA" written all over it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LowellDND posted:

Hera almost growled. “Ask yourself why. Why would she want to break strictures we’ve had in place for twenty millennia?”

Don't be coy Hera, you tell me.

Also cancel all plans to use time manipulation and all current manipulation. Eldar use time tunnels and that didn't work out so go either. No more time fuckery. Unless it's really convenient for us.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

Don't be coy Hera, you tell me.

Also cancel all plans to use time manipulation and all current manipulation. Eldar use time tunnels and that didn't work out so go either. No more time fuckery. Unless it's really convenient for us.

The Strictures allow 3 seconds, but no more. Just so we're clear :D

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Emperor drat it

Nominate a new council on Hera's recommendation. Subvert Athena.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

ArbitraryTA posted:

Emperor drat it

Nominate a new council on Hera's recommendation. Subvert Athena.

Remember, Hera swore to kill Athena :v: So, she might not be the most reliable source :D

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Marry Hera to Athena

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Play back or repeat the whole recorded conversation to Hera. Ask her if she can think of any way to salvage the stated premise of the stasis field without giving Athena what she's asking for.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

LowellDND posted:

Remember, Hera swore to kill Athena :v: So, she might not be the most reliable source :D

She's roughly agreeing with Fabiyan, good enough for me! :colbert:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Ask Hera to nominate CS. She's pretty moral, smart and has old timey values that are from the good old days that were actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

was Hera active when Ching Shih had control of the ship, or was she uploaded or smth afterwards?