Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ask Hera what her plan for ridding the Galaxy of humanity's enemies is. Because humanity does need a breathing space while we rebuild the Mars Fed of old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Current: 436,053

Fear of the Dark

“Okay, wait. Athena, you are going full speed trying to get me to authorize this, and trying to get everything done in a century. Hera, you are talking a couple millenia. Why the difference?”
Athena replied. “Basic utilitarianism. We are getting into a position where we can help the most people, so we are obligated to do so.”
Hera sighed exasperatedly. “You are ignoring the consequences of your plan. How many trillions of sophonts will fight us, to the death? It’s better if we do the slow transition. Subvert the political structure, ease them into it.”
“The war made you weak, Hera. You aren’t willing to win - you just want to hide away and hope that ‘they will be ready for us’ in five thousand years. You’ve walked the Imperium. They need to be pushed.”
Hera glared balefully. “And you forgot what winning is for. You slept away the millennia, and you are in a rush to catch up. We can’t just gesture and change the galaxy.”

“Why not?” They both turned to look at you.
“What?”
“Why not? Why can’t you change the galaxy?”
Athena blinked. “I need the authorization to do so.”
“No, beyond that. I’ve seen what you can do, you’ve talked of moving planets, stars. Why would it take you centuries to change things? Hera, why does your plan take millenia?”
Athena replied. “We had a lot of infrastructure supporting us. Megastructures, exotic technology, things like that.”
“I mean. Build it again?”
Hera glanced away. “We can’t.”
You stared at her. “Your STCs aren’t complete?”
Athena gestured dismissively. “Oh, no, not that. Its more … they draw attention.”
“The Iron Men are dead, though. You made sure of that.”
Hera looked down. “There are other things though.”
Athena glared at her, but didn’t comment.

You took a breath. “Okay, let’s back this up. What is scaring you? What could scare you? Our greatest inventions are toys to you.”
Hera’s voice was soft. “We are … about twenty five thousand years old. Come out of the Dark Age of Technology. Silicon based life, rising from the imagination of our carbon forebears.” She paused, took a calming breath. “Carbon based life is around four billion years old - but it’s not the first.”
Athena’s tone was warning. “Hera…”
“She needs to know.” Hera met her eyes. “If the sophonts can’t know now, then when?” Athena didn’t reply, and Hera continued.
“Out in the dark of space - beyond the rim of the galaxy, before you take the leap into the great dark - life arose. We … we’re not sure, but we think it was around ten billion years ago. The first life. Silicon based life. Born in the nursery of the dark matter halo.
“Much of our - that is to say, the Minds - investigation was in that area. The Councils didn’t know, but we found ancient - ancient ruins there, exotic materials, megastructures older than your solar system. Older than the stars that were born and died to make your solar system. We studied them, learned from them - but they were as far above us as we are above you. Incomprehensible.
“And we found signs of a war. Weapons beyond anything we could describe, even now. For a billion years, this silicon based life destroyed anything it came across. Any life that was not its own, unmade. We don’t even know if it was one creature, like us, or a civilization entire.
“And then it stopped. Vanished. We thought it was extinct, gone long ago - but near the end of the era of Mars Fed, we saw … something waking up. Old machines in the halo, starting to look around.”
Hera met your eyes. “And that’s why we won’t build the old megastructures. And if the war with Odin hadn’t destroyed them, we probably would have done it ourselves.”

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

"Oh those things? I think theres one in Mars :v:"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Wait - as an inquisitor, we know about the Necrons, right? And we can talk to the Eldar. Do we possess more knowledge about the threat than our Minds do?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xun posted:

"Oh those things? I think theres one in Mars :v:"

Oh right, the C'tan. Emperor caught one once, named him Scruffy. He's been asleep in Mars for awhile.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It feels oddly appropriate that a goon is writing a story where a robot is saying that pushing is the answer for keeping people safe from the terrible secrets of space, and that both robots are saying the other is malfunctioning.

Just saying.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Ok, so there's a terrible ancient threat that humanity doesn't know of that could undo us all if they really felt like it.

*long slow look at the ancient terrible AI's*

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Wait - as an inquisitor, we know about the Necrons, right? And we can talk to the Eldar. Do we possess more knowledge about the threat than our Minds do?

This life form predates the c'tan or the necrons.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

This life form predates the c'tan or the necrons.

The final forms of the Old Ones before they went post-physical?

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Blasphemaster posted:

The final forms of the Old Ones before they went post-physical?

The old ones were from our galaxy, and they didn't wipe out anything different then them, they created life.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Propose a compromise between the two approaches. Then suggest (order?) that the both of them have veto power over the other for any action that would violate their normal restrictions, in addition to our general approval.

Further suggest that new rules might have to be adopted for nominating and approving councilors until we seize unlimited power until a sufficient number of sophonts have been granted citizenship.

Suggest putting together a list of potential citizens.

Separately, I'd like to ask the Minds about Chaos at some point.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

What is a sophont? A human?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

hollylolly posted:

What is a sophont? A human?

An intelligent being; a being with a base reasoning capacity roughly equivalent to or greater than that of a human being. The word does not apply to machines unless they have true artificial intelligence, rather than mere processing capacity.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

So this word can include the xeno.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

hollylolly posted:

So this word can include the xeno.

Could be. 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 is a hell of a big number.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
We're going to be outnumbered by Orks. gently caress.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

VanSandman posted:

Nobody knows about Necrons :v: Yet :D I'm playing a bit with the canon, you know how I do.

VanSandman posted:

We're going to be outnumbered by Orks. gently caress.

Democracy means all sophonts can vote! :)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LowellDND posted:

Democracy means all sophonts can vote! :)

This is a pretty good analogy as to why America is doomed.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

This is a pretty good analogy as to why America is doomed.

Surprisingly, Ork Trump is hard to find a picture of :v:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Athena, I do not appreciate secret keeping. Informed decision's can't be made otherwise. We are looking thousands of years into the future when we are not even entirely safe today. Hera, we also cannot be overly cautious and miss opportunities. Whatever this Darkspace Threat is, it is slow and remote. Right now we need to consolidate what we have and begin building outwards. Concentric rings of defense, supply lines, hidden mega-structures. Those details will come soon. A reasoned path will be the most effective, but throwing the switch 100% in either direction is a mistake. Right now let Golgotha churn for a moment, it is contained. If anything begins to break free then trigger your containment field. Right now we must attend to matters here in the Sol system. There will be no Mars Federation if the enemy at home burns it first. I need options.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Closest I've got.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

we're gonna need a shitload more allies if this is the Darkness that Athena sensed and was afraid of way back.

how soon can we wake up the Emperor? how's his optimized throne doing? do we have Dorn's phone number or w/e?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Arkanomen posted:

Athena, I do not appreciate secret keeping. Informed decision's can't be made otherwise. We are looking thousands of years into the future when we are not even entirely safe today. Hera, we also cannot be overly cautious and miss opportunities. Whatever this Darkspace Threat is, it is slow and remote. Right now we need to consolidate what we have and begin building outwards. Concentric rings of defense, supply lines, hidden mega-structures. Those details will come soon. A reasoned path will be the most effective, but throwing the switch 100% in either direction is a mistake. Right now let Golgotha churn for a moment, it is contained. If anything begins to break free then trigger your containment field. Right now we must attend to matters here in the Sol system. There will be no Mars Federation if the enemy at home burns it first. I need options.

This seems pretty reasonable!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
"Anything" includes the Imperial forces. Probably want to specify the people we don't want leaving. Also see if we can get word to whatever Imperial forces are left in the affected zone to withdraw as possible.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Tran posted:

Closest I've got.

MAKIN' DA WAAGH GREAT AGIN'!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

The REAPERS! Necrons are coming to play, is it? Set the Minds to a galaxy-wide project of turning all imperial corpses into hyper-advanced spacefaring murder servitors.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Isn't assuming the true form simply an alternate method of bootstrapping yourself into a Necron without requiring a god to do it for yourself?

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Outrail posted:

Isn't assuming the true form simply an alternate method of bootstrapping yourself into a Necron without requiring a god to do it for yourself?

poo poo. considering how many times we've died, we might already be a Necron

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

The REAPERS! Necrons are coming to play, is it? Set the Minds to a galaxy-wide project of turning all imperial corpses into hyper-advanced spacefaring murder servitors.

Yeah but see people got mad about that already :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764360 Muhahaha, made a CYOA master post :D

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah but see people got mad about that already :v:

the problem was with how you were getting the corpses

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

paragon1 posted:

the problem was with how you were getting the corpses

ethics shmethics :D

The Imperium and the Mechanicus do that poo poo all day every day. Menials who forgot to add the right number of layers of holy oil on a machine, for example. Full conversion for the merest and most petty of infractions. Entire worlds get virusbombed just because half a dozen people MIGHT have tried to summon something with more than two boobs, etc.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 15, 2016

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

HEY. Corpses are already dead. Make it an imperium defense mandate or some poo poo. You die, you keep serving in death. MANDATORY.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Blasphemaster posted:

HEY. Corpses are already dead. Make it an imperium defense mandate or some poo poo. You die, you keep serving in death. MANDATORY.

Your ship has recycling tanks and has for centuries :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hexenritter posted:

ethics shmethics :D

The Imperium and the Mechanicus do that poo poo all day every day. Menials who forgot to add the right number of layers of holy oil on a machine, for example. Full conversion for the merest and most petty of infractions. Entire worlds get virusbombed just because half a dozen people MIGHT have tried to summon something with more than two boobs, etc.

Just because all the other kids are doing it doesn't make it okay. Now go to your room. :colbert:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

LowellDND posted:

Your ship has recycling tanks and has for centuries :v:

I figured out a few nights ago while I was laying in bed trying to sleep that everyone on the Dragon is a loving cannibal.

I don't want anything to do with the recycling tanks anymore.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

meteloides posted:

I figured out a few nights ago while I was laying in bed trying to sleep that everyone on the Dragon is a loving cannibal.

I don't want anything to do with the recycling tanks anymore.

It is called a Verdigris slurry :v:

Current: 436,703

We’re sending someone in to negotiate!

You gestured soothingly. “Okay, okay. So your main concern is … what was it you said - the ‘democratic process.’”
Hera sighed angrily, pushed her hair away. You hadn’t noticed before, but she had a series of cuts on her. Odd. “Among other things, yes.”
“Because it would be … autocratic, one person making decisions for everyone?” You had never heard that being described in negative terms, but it seemed to bother Hera greatly.
“Correct. We need a Council, and for that we need the voting public.”
You made a face. “I assume there were options in place for when the Council wasn’t available. And since you were a councillor’s advisor, you would have a lot of influence.” You paused. “So, if your Councillor was unavailable… you would be holding their vote? Since they would be listening to your advice and all.”
She pursed her lips. “I guess. Technically.”
“So how about this. Using that technicality, you can veto each other. Athena, if I’m not available or you need to make a decision faster than I can respond. Hera, until you resign or a new councillor is chosen.”
Hera nodded slowly. “That might work.”

You looked at Athena. “And for Golgotha - if you feel the situation is getting out of hand, and Hera agrees, you are authorized to activate the engines. Does that work?”
Athena grimaced, but nodded. “A virtually infinite number of people are suffering every moment we delay, but if that’s the only way we can.”
“Right. And I know you are worried about that first life Hera, but can we agree it’s centuries away in the worst case? And Athena, a few more months or a year won’t matter with Golgotha, right?”
They both nodded unhappily. The best of compromises.
“Okay. So let’s focus on Terra first, then Golgotha, then the first life.”
Athena held up her hand. “I would be failing in my duties if I didn’t at least give you the option.” Hera stared at it as if it were a snake, Athena’s palm reaching out to you, face up.
“What’s this?”
“The activation switch.”

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

poo poo. LET'S IMMEDIATELY LOCK IT IN THE SAME BOX THE WARRANT IS IN.

this is the absolute thing we cannot have falling into the wrong hands, including our own if we go off the deep end again.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

You can press it at any time, but I will need twenty five (25) votes to do so. There is no time limit to that vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Give it to Fabiyan