Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

put me as team paranoia and if we fix him put in a kill switch only we know of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Outrail posted:

RA Rx posted:

and with strange eons, even heretics may recant. Real Letter.

Offer Huron a fixer-upper for his wounds sometime convenient.

Sure, and while we're fixing him up install a back-door kill switch.

Because paranoia is good sometimes.

That was loving incredible negotiating. Holy cats.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

SerSpook: you've been listed, bringing the power to 3. :)

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah. Arguably we just settled the biggest threat to the Imperium since Horus with a piece of paper and not only removed that threat from the playing field, but we have ostensibly returned it to the fold. Karamazov might poo poo a brick but it's hard to argue against the fact that Ohone just talked down The Siege of Terra 2.

We should purge Karamazov sooner rather than later. I doubt he's worth the effort if it's even possible to turn him.

Like I wouldn't be surprised if he's intended as a major villain next trilogy. Might want to nip him in the bud.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Huron posted:

“What makes a human.” He showed his teeth. “Grudges, pride, and petty, vindictive spite

Somewhere out in the poo poo Travis gives a little fist pump!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Arkanomen posted:

Somewhere out in the poo poo Travis gives a little fist pump!

Huron is in the market for someone who can see the future :v:

... wanna have Travis go to Ultramar? :D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

RA Rx posted:

SerSpook: you've been listed, bringing the power to 3. :)

We should purge Karamazov sooner rather than later. I doubt he's worth the effort if it's even possible to turn him.

Like I wouldn't be surprised if he's intended as a major villain next trilogy. Might want to nip him in the bud.

You and I definitely have the same idea regarding that lunatic. He's a serious liability.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Addendum: No kill switch. Physical access is total access and you'd have to be at least one of foolish and crazy to think Huron won't examine the work done to him. And if he finds a kill switch, any shot of him leaving the Ruinous Powers, even if it's not for the Imperium or us, is gone, and he won't keep quiet about it. Half the Warp knowing that's the kind of negotiator Ohone is will take weapons out of her arsenal that she'll probably need later, and they're not likely to keep it to themselves.

v v v Ooo, I like this one.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 5, 2016

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

Huron is in the market for someone who can see the future :v:

... wanna have Travis go to Ultramar? :D

I think Addie and Travis are getting really good at loving up Chaos' day. They could go and be the Letter of Marque for Huron and be Ohone's eyes and ears.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

And you guys thought Lowell mothballed the 'Traitor Ultramarines' plot line back in what, Arc 3?, from lack of interest/plausibility

:v:

e: well, I did anyway

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Addendum: No kill switch. Physical access is total access and you'd have to be at least one of foolish and crazy to think Huron won't examine the work done to him. And if he finds a kill switch, any shot of him leaving the Ruinous Powers, even if it's not for the Imperium or us, is gone, and he won't keep quiet about it. Half the Warp knowing that's the kind of negotiator Ohone is will take weapons out of her arsenal that she'll probably need later, and they're not likely to keep it to themselves.

I agree with this. Sabotaging a deal for a minor feel good benefit isn't any where near worth it, and Ohone is currently trending MarsFed/CatGirl, which kind of means good faith negotiations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

maxhush posted:

And you guys thought Lowell mothballed the 'Traitor Ultramarines' plot line back in what, Arc 3?, from lack of interest/plausibility

I am large I contain multitudes :D

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

maxhush posted:

They keep running off and doing their own thing and allying with Tau and generally being shifty.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Brother-Sergeant Octavius Tertius Venatorus. Location: Tantal IV, Realm of Ultramar

SQUAD ORDER

Thought For The Day: The Eyes of the Enemy never blink. Nor must we.

1: Situation Two squads under Brother-Sergeant Octavius SN 937-07-2992 will investigate rumours of dissident and seditious activity on Tantal IV. Additionally, REDACTED integration into existing society will be assessed. Low profile required.

2: Mission At 00:32 Zulu/13:56 Ultramar 12th day Month 7, Squads will depart LZ-02-Bravo for northern capital Rostov and disperse to Vengerberg, Wasser and Velden, conducting intelligence and counter-espionage operations.

3: Execution
a: Concept of Operation. Fireteam consisting of Brother Gnaeus SN 939-44-271 will remain behind at shuttle. Squads will reach Rostov on foot at transit pace utilising Catalepsean sleep no less than four (4) days after arrival. Squads will divide into fireteams. Fireteam 01 will remain at Rostov. Other teams will disperse between Vengerberg, Wasser, Velden and outlying settlements via acquired transport.

b: Tasks.
1: First fireteam will remain at shuttle under Condition Yellow utilising shuttle augur to perform twice-hourly scans. Fireteam will escalate to Condition Black following detection of contacts not broadcasting proper IFF countersign.
2: Second fireteam will reach Rostov and follow operational outline.
3: Third fireteam will travel to Vengerberg and follow operational outline
4: Fourth fireteam will travel to Velden and follow operational outline
5: Fifth fireteam will travel to Wasser and follow operational outline
6: Sixth fireteam will travel to outlying settlements in counterclockwise order and follow operational outline.

c: Coordinating Instructions.
1: Fireteams will report at 00:00 Zulu nightly unless contact will reveal identity. Use secure channel 12
2: Hourly radio checks will be observed unless contact will reveal identity. Use assigned fireteam channels.
3: Fireteams will observe local attire and speech conventions. Melee weapons permitted, bolters only permitted in extreme circumstances. Armour to be left with fireteam 1.

4: Administration & Logistics
a: Fireteam leaders will receive operational funds in the amount of 500 sestertii. Further funds must be acquired in situ
b: Medical supplies will be kept to self-carried combat paks. Medevac available only in absolute emergency situations.
c: Reinforcements available from northern Observation Post Delta should situation require. Reinforcement ETA upon request six (06) hours. Reinforcement size: 1 squad Astartes, 1 company Guard. Use secure channel 07
d: Evac & Exfil. Exfiltration will be accomplished via return to LZ-02-Bravo. Evac will be accomplished via reaching Rally Point, followed by extraction via shuttle. Use secure channel 07
e: Evac & Exfil 2. Should EE1 plan be compromised, squads will conduct fighting withdrawal to Rostov to meet up with local military contacted via secure channel 08 who will cover retreat to LZ-02-Bravo.

5: Command & Signal
a: Signal Primary communications via AAR/FVC-037 field visual communicators with fireteam leaders. Secondary communications via AAR/IEB-001 commbead.

B: Command Succession of command will be to 2nd fireteam leader, then 3rd fireteam leader, 4th fireteam leader, 5th fireteam leader and finally 6th.

C: Rally Point Rally point is Aldersby, gridref 05272683x28363890, contact name: Gilles d’Aldersby.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 20, 2017

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Real letter, mend wounds, no backdoor but do keep a DNA sample so that we may engineer a highly specific biological weapon to kill him/any clones just like we once planned to do with De Vries.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Real letter, why the gently caress not. The Ultramarines would just stand in the way of the new federation.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Now how do we solve the Fabiyan problem? :smithicide:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LowellDND posted:

I am large I contain multitudes :D

No fatshaming! :mad:

Offer to fix his messed up body

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

maxhush posted:

I'm still laughing at how some people laid down real ultimatums when the Ultramarine traitor subplot got introduced. As in at the time that legitimately offended some people.

Now it's just yet another in a long line of differences from the official canon. And unlike so many of the really big, universe-breaking divergences, this one's basically just a "what if" scenario based on a real plot hook from the Horus Heresy. It's practically quaint in how reasonable it is.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Husbando is gonna shoot us for this and we'll deserve it you idiots.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Arkanomen posted:

I think Addie and Travis are getting really good at loving up Chaos' day. They could go and be the Letter of Marque for Huron and be Ohone's eyes and ears.

hahahha yesss

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm still laughing at how some people laid down real ultimatums when the Ultramarine traitor subplot got introduced. As in at the time that legitimately offended some people.

Now it's just yet another in a long line of differences from the official canon. And unlike so many of the really big, universe-breaking divergences, this one's basically just a "what if" scenario based on a real plot hook from the Horus Heresy. It's practically quaint in how reasonable it is.

Different situations. At the time we were receiving it as exposition from an NPC we had no attachment to. Having a random plot fairy show up to tell you that a major setting fixture is your real enemy isn't good storytelling. At this point in the story we're not acting on a wild rumor, but what amounts to an open declaration of secession. Regardless, I imagine Lowel will rewrite it to flow more smoothly in the editing process.

Edit: To be clear, this isn't an indictment of Lowel's writing by any means. Nobody gets it all right on the first draft. Especially not at the pace he has written it.

Tran fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 5, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Tran posted:

Different situations. At the time we were receiving it as exposition from an NPC we had no attachment to. Having a random plot fairy show up to tell you that a major setting fixture is your real enemy isn't good storytelling. At this point in the story we're not acting on a wild rumor, but what amounts to an open declaration of secession. Regardless, I imagine Lowel will rewrite it to flow more smoothly in the editing process.

Edit: To be clear, this isn't an indictment of Lowel's writing by any means. Nobody gets it all right on the first draft. Especially not at the pace he has written it.

You have the edit and I'm not trying to slapfight, but I think it was perfectly fine storytelling that readers rejected based on their attachment to the 40K lore. Without the warhams trappings someone saying "the guys you think are really good are, in fact, bad" is fine and pretty in line with later are they/aren't they allies/foes thing we experience with every other faction.

Everything is fiiiiine.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Arkanomen posted:

Zybourne Clock posted:

Real letter, mend wounds, no backdoor but do keep a DNA sample so that we may engineer a highly specific biological weapon to kill him/any clones just like we once planned to do with De Vries.

Do both of these!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Yea, play straight with Huron. Driving competent people to Chaos is a great precedent to undo.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Hell yeah this so pumped

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I can't believe she turned it around.

Nice writing, Lowell!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Good God-Emperor, we are easily manipulated sometimes. Lowell, it's a testament to your skill and our stupidity that you get us to keep walking into nuclear bombs.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Oh, and voting No on the kill switch idea. However, voting Yes on occasionally writiing about his adventures in UltraMar space. Like I said, a space pirate story could be cool. Maybe get the old Lord Sire on board too-- two salty ol' space dogs pillaging their way across the galaxy could be fun as hell to read.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Good God-Emperor, we are easily manipulated sometimes. Lowell, it's a testament to your skill and our stupidity that you get us to keep walking into nuclear bombs.

I don't understand how redirecting the Chaos raid to the one single part of the Imperium still guarded by its full forces is a bad idea, even disregarding the possibly traitorous nature of Ultramar.

Where's the nuke here?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
real letter with no kill switch

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Not Alex posted:

I don't understand how redirecting the Chaos raid to the one single part of the Imperium still guarded by its full forces is a bad idea, even disregarding the possibly traitorous nature of Ultramar.

Where's the nuke here?

We made a deal with one of the most treacherous beings in the Galaxy. Husbando and the Emperor are going to be furious with us.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Everything is fiiiiiiiiine.

edit: So, if Ohone walks back a few kilometers, she can see her Titan, the Herald, and Fabs. Assuming Huron's forces begin withdrawing, what is she going to say to her people? And how will she explain sending emissaries to the depths of the enemy fleets?

Loel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 5, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

LowellDND posted:

Everything is fiiiiiiiiine.

edit: So, if Ohone walks back a few kilometers, she can see her Titan, the Herald, and Fabs. Assuming Huron's forces begin withdrawing, what is she going to say to her people? And how will she explain sending emissaries to the depths of the enemy fleets?

"Everything is fiiiiine."

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Hi, I'm Lufgt Huron!

You may remember me from such conflicts as "The Badab War", and "The Second Siege of Holy Terra". Today I'm here to ask you to abandon the Corpse God and join the same Ruinous Powers that have continually hosed me over. Failing that, would you consider granting me rights to pillage rape and burn half the galaxy?

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Have Blue posted:

Hi, I'm Lufgt Huron!

You may remember me from such conflicts as "The Badab War", and "The Second Siege of Holy Terra". Today I'm here to ask you to abandon the Corpse God and join the same Ruinous Powers that have continually hosed me over. Failing that, would you consider granting me rights to pillage rape and burn half the galaxy?

hollylolly posted:

"Everything is fiiiiine."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Have Blue posted:

Failing that, would you consider granting me rights to pillage rape and burn half the galaxy?

It's not like it's the half of the galaxy we particularly like or anything...

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

The best part is that it's a letter of marque from a ranking Marsfed member, which should also limit Athena's loving with him. Yay space pirates!

But yea, just tell the company you've redirected the raid to better defended space.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Not Alex posted:

The best part is that it's a letter of marque from a ranking Marsfed member, which should also limit Athena's loving with him. Yay space pirates!

But yea, just tell the company you've redirected the raid to better defended space.

Call it a fact-finding mission as to why the smurfs haven't answered the all-hands call.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Spitting in the wind, but might as go on record for fake letter. Whatever the Ultramarines are up to, it's probably better than giving official sanction to Chaos Pirates to loot and pillage a good chunk of the galaxy.

Besides, by the time he figures it out, either the Emperor will wake up, or Athena will go rampant, making all previous concerns moot.

Edit: Not that the UM aren't suspicious as hell (and OOC, we know heretical, as far as the Tau go. Not sure Ohone does) I'd be all for figuring out what they've got going on, but like I said, it's very likely it just won't matter.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Ohone is an inquisitor. She has the right to keep whatever she wants confidential from anyone but the God Emperor and Omnissiah themselves (and maybe some jerks here and there, who cares about them).

Probably the safest thing is to not contact Huron at all, or use some hyperspace comm we get Athena to cook up.
Husbando is a bit dumb when it comes to things like this, but it's not like he hasn't failed to suss out our actually not heretical plans for a decade. We just need the Emperor to wake up so he can change the false doctrines, and his return will also make Huron fully recant, so it's all good.

Everything will be fine.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 5, 2016