Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

the god emperor's corpse is stuffed back behind the throne with all the wires and cables, deeper than Ohone got when she plugged in the optimizer.

it's been heresies all the way down since he kicked the bucket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The Emperor was actually just a failed primarch attempt but they stuffed him and waved him around as a corpse-puppet just in case a fascist theocracy happened and they needed a scapegoat.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Waci posted:

The Emperor was actually just a failed primarch attempt but they stuffed him and waved him around as a corpse-puppet just in case a fascist theocracy happened and they needed a scapegoat.

Hereticus eunt domus

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

ok new plan

shut down everything. neither Athena can be trusted, so quarantine them for later intense interrogation with very carefully worded questions. Preferably while digging into her code and figuring out what hosed up poo poo Gorgon and Anna threw in there. meanwhile, Limosa needs to plot a course straight back to Terra. See if you can get Rogal Dorn on the astrophone and tell him to expedite us to the throne room. we don't have time to go wandering in like a loving pilgrim.

Before we boogie, turn on the grasers and cook Typhus on HIGH for three minutes. that oughta sanitize the poo poo out of him.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Did Dorn lie to us or did he tell what he thought was the truth about the Emperor?

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Well this has implications vastly more compelling than the original history already. Who's the Set to this heroic Horus? Gotta be Void Dragon. Who's the Isis to retrieve our murdered god from the underworld? Maiden, Mother, Crone perhaps? Good thing we've planned a bunch of trips to the kingdoms of the chaos gods.

Mad laughter is the best response.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

cat_herder posted:

ok new plan

shut down everything. neither Athena can be trusted, so quarantine them for later intense interrogation with very carefully worded questions. Preferably while digging into her code and figuring out what hosed up poo poo Gorgon and Anna threw in there. meanwhile, Limosa needs to plot a course straight back to Terra. See if you can get Rogal Dorn on the astrophone and tell him to expedite us to the throne room. we don't have time to go wandering in like a loving pilgrim.

Before we boogie, turn on the grasers and cook Typhus on HIGH for three minutes. that oughta sanitize the poo poo out of him.

Sounds good

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:allbuttons:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I mean... every living human thinking the God-Emperor is a certain thing will probably turn him into what we think he is when he stands up.

This is fine. :)

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Before we do anything, ask her if by 'God-Emperor' she means the guy currently on the golden throne. Also ask her which one she was talking about when we questioned her on allowing the God-Emperor to join us at the Mars Council's table -- the one we know, or Horus.

This is a thing of beauty.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Speaking of Void Dragons, lest we forget, in the "5 year flash forward" we saw a while back, post Golgotha we were seeing a scene of fighting Necrons.

New big bad inc~~

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Good god, allegedly after the God-Emperor (the true one) struck Horus a fatal blow, the Gods of Chaos abandoned Horus, and in a moment of clarity he had not possessed for the entirety of the Heresy, Horus begged his Father to end him lest the Gods of Chaos take control again. The God-Emperor apparently did so, scattering Horus' soul such that he ceased to be.

What if the God-Emperor did something else instead? What if they merged somehow?

However, Horus' body was recovered by the Sons of Horus and taken, and he was eventually cloned by the Emperor's Children. I don't know.

I'm becoming convinced this entire affair is a conspiracy against us and the Imperium. Athena is playing us towards destruction of herself. MeanAthena is SadAthena - both are inherently self-destructive. We can't allow that.

Be calm. Be resolute. Remember that Minds are tricky bastards at the best of times.

I shouldn't have just read Excession. I'm now predisposed towards seeing conspiracies.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Current Threats
Level of Threat, Time frame of conflict

Rampant Athena (Extreme, medium term)
Rampant Hera (Extreme, near term if ship falls)
Hostile AI Loki (Extreme, unknown)
Fabricator General of Mars (High, current ally)
Unleashed Edouard (High, long term)
Saint Fabiyan (High, long term termination pact)
Spymaster Devries (Extreme, won't stay dead)
Herald Anna (Extreme, current ally)
Herald Typhus(Moderate, current conflict)
Herald Huron(Medium, current ally)
Gorgon (extreme, near-medium term)
Fodor/Inquisition(low, pacified)
Orc/Nid/Deldar/Tau(low, pacified at Golgotha)
Grey Knights(low, current ally)
Old Ones/Necron (extreme, long term)
Emperor of Mankind (????,????)
Nukes (extreme, always)

I think that's everyone we've pissed off/have yet to piss off.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Thread voters (extreme, evergreen threat, nominal ally)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

No, no, you see, nukes are our friends! Why else would we always be trying to hug one??

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hollylolly posted:

No, no, you see, nukes are our friends! Why else would we always be trying to hug one??

Obviously we have issues with easily triggered partners.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

World lit final done. I knew it was time to put down the pen when I wrote ‘objects qua objects’ :v:

Word count: fill in later

You were thrown back into your body explosively. Knoxie was wrapped around himself, eyes squeezed shut, and Fabiyan had unfurled his wings, looking at them in horror. Your eyes snapped to Limosa, who spoke. “Sorry. Bit of a shock there.”
“Yes, wonderful. Fabyan? You okay hon?”
His hand was at his belt-knife, white knuckled. “She had to be lying.”
You looked at him anxiously. “Hey now, let’s not rush into things.”
“She … she’s a heretic. Or I am damned.”
“Okay, Fabiyan, hold up…”
His eyes locked on yours, full of some inexpressible emotion. “Do you know how many people I’ve killed in His name?” His wings furled wider. “With these … horrors?.” He drew his knife, whether for himself or Athena you couldn’t say. “I can fix it.”
”Stand down, guardsman.” Limosa’s voice was iron, full of fury. They looked at each other, one wrapped in the God-Emperor’s grace, the other glowing from his own power.
A pause, an eternity.
“Okay.” The wings unfurled, the knife sheathed. “Okay.”
Limosa’s voice was gentler. “I’ve walked that line a long time. Born a psyker, trained by Eldar. I’ve sipped the poisoned chalice. It can be rough, the early days.”
Fabiyan sat down, eyes lost. All strength gone.

The psyker glanced briefly at Knoxie, then shrugged. “Okay. We have a couple different emergencies going on. Firstly, Athena’s breaking. Putting the wall back would be easy enough, and would kick the problem down the ways a bit. If you want to do something more ambitious, such as switching them or merging them, we would need Grey Knights.”
“We could probably pull a few from the front lines for a bit.”
He shook his head. “All of them. You want to do a ritual of that power, you’ll need all of Titan.”
You frowned. “I don’t think Hera can hold the front if we do.”
“Right. So, if we want to see if prison-warden Athena is sane, we need to see if she’s telling the truth.”
“Heh. That would be its own bundle of fun.”
“One emergency at a time.” His tone was brisk.
Your voice was thoughtful. “Could go back, ask Rogal Dorn what happened. I’m not eager to see my device waking up a fallen Primarch.”
“That’s months travel.” He glanced at you. “Let’s ask someone who was there.”
Of course.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
What a loving mess.
Lets just Ohone this whole thing and by that I mean slap on a patch job and call it done

1.Patch job on Athena, deal with it later
2.Slap Fabs and Eddy around till they focus on the fight in front of us.
3.Finish purging Typhus and crew
4.Secure Hera/Beast
5.Secure Terra and Mars
6.Get Dorn on the magic pain glove phone

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Fix the wall, but leave a chink in it so we can find the weakness later if we want to pull it down. Kicking the can down the road a bit with Athena seems like the prudent thing to do as long as we don't, OH I DON'T KNOW, push any buttons that give her all the power she wants. :doh:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

hollylolly posted:

Kicking the can down the road a bit with Athena seems like the prudent thing to do as long as we don't, OH I DON'T KNOW, push any buttons that give her all the power she wants. :doh:

lol owned

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Arkanomen posted:

What a loving mess.
Lets just Ohone this whole thing and by that I mean slap on a patch job and call it done

1.Patch job on Athena, deal with it later
2.Slap Fabs and Eddy around till they focus on the fight in front of us.
3.Finish purging Typhus and crew
4.Secure Hera/Beast
5.Secure Terra and Mars
6.Get Dorn on the magic pain glove phone

^^^^

Who's Limosa talking about that was there, if not Rogal Dorn? Hera (unlikely)? The Iron Hands on the Beast? Maybe, they're from the Great Crusade.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Ching Shih my dudes.

e: though I guess the Iron Hands also qualify, with the added bonus of having been around in the interim.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ah, Ching Shih didn't really occur to me. I thought she was out on the mission to scout out the Ultramarines and got ambushed, then stuck in to stasis with Hera before the final showdown between Horus and the Emperor.

e: I'm not sure if that applies to the Iron Hands or not, since we know (?) that Hera gave them their orders to keep the faith and work towards reactivating her when the time was right?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Our drill shall pierce the corruption that is claiming her soul!

Go into her mind again (either alone or with one/both psykers), turn into miniature versions of ourselves, go into the prison with her, and THEN close it behind us.

By the God-Emperor's Grace, Ohone will survive the lion's den.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 9, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That is uh, not a great idea rofl.

We don't have time to do personal AI brain surgery when we're literally in the middle of a few million Nurglites that need a good purgin' (Not to mention we're really pretty bad at dealing with warp things ourselves, anyhow, although we did get 7 years training on Titan since our last complete debacle).

Finish them off first, patch Athena enough to where we can get time for the entire lineup of Grey Knights behind us to thoroughly banish this warp poo poo like they did for our totally broken brain.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

"Thank You"

My tea's gone cold, I'm wondering why I got out of bed at all
the nurglite guts cloud up my Titan and I can't see at all
And even if I could it'd all be grey, but your picture on my wall
it reminds me that it's not so bad
it's not so bad

I drank too much last night, got poo poo to purge
my head just feels in pain
I healed the wrong guy there may be hell to pay
I'm late for work again
and even if I'm there, Tzeentch will sure imply that I might not last the
day
and then you're in a scene and it's not so bad
it's not so bad and

I want to thank you for giving me the best years of my life
Oh just to be with you is having the best years of my life

Push the mindspace, I'm home at last and I'm soaking through and
through
then you started crying but all I see is you
and even if the Empire falls down now, I wouldn't have a clue
because you're near me and

I want to thank you for giving me the best years of my life
Oh just to be with you is having the best years of my life
[x2]

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 9, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Do we have meta-knowledge that Huron (said he) was going to attack Nurgle's forces from the rear, or will he just not provide backup?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

He just left, and he 'aint coming back.
Can sorta understand he doesn't want to go full double traitor before he's sure he's not being counter-stabbed.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We bought Huron off. He was 99.99% going to die to our hand so we sold him his life and a letter of Marque to basically gently caress over Ultramarines for being filthy heretics and not having our back.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Gwaihir posted:

That is uh, not a great idea rofl.

We don't have time to do personal AI brain surgery when we're literally in the middle of a few million Nurglites that need a good purgin' (Not to mention we're really pretty bad at dealing with warp things ourselves, anyhow, although we did get 7 years training on Titan since our last complete debacle).

Finish them off first, patch Athena enough to where we can get time for the entire lineup of Grey Knights behind us to thoroughly banish this warp poo poo like they did for our totally broken brain.

Yup. Maybe if we have time we can spackle up Athena's brain a bit, but Typhus -> maybe cleanup -> :frogout: is the priority. Hasn't really stopped being the priority. If we don't drop Typhus pronto Hera falls and that'll wrap it up for all of us. As it is we may have lost Edourd already.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 9, 2016

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Can we at least apologize to both Athena emotions and coo a few sweet songs at them, especially the sad one, before bricking her up like some bitch at a PETA* pound?

*They're actually rabidly pro-kill.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 9, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1) We're not even in her head right now.

2) That's why spackle.

3) Everything from Athena (probably, feel free to counter me here) to Heresy Storytime can wait until we're done with what we need to do in the Warp and also not loving inside it anymore.

EDIT: Actually can the guys handle patching up Athena for now, just with the subtle reminder not to make it a perfect seal?

poor life choice posted:

Do we have meta-knowledge that Huron (said he) was going to attack Nurgle's forces from the rear, or will he just not provide backup?

WE were the attack from the rear. There went our tactical advantage. Go team.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 9, 2016

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

There's lots of enemies to kill, but only two people Ohone cares about as much as herself (ok, plus the God Emperor maybe).

~
Suddenly she's not half the AI she used to be.
There's a shadow hanging over her.
That foolish vote came suddenly

Why she had to come, I don't know, they're goons I say
Others, surely, wanted her killed, now I long for Golgotha.

After Golgotha, they said AI love was an unfaithful game
Lowell preferred bald boytoy saint, for Ohone, right away
Oh, I believe in Golgotha.

Why she had to come, I don't know, they're goons I say.
Others, surely want her killed, now I long for Golgotha...

Yesterday love was such an easy game to play.
Now she needs a place to hide away,
Oh, I believe in button mash

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 10, 2016

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Oh, we should really debrief Edouard about his necron visions at some point.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Current: 456,472

“How goes the war?”
The messenger paused - the Herald stood with his back to the bridge, hands at the base of his spine. Typhus hadn’t turned, instead watching the viewscreen, the millions of troops looking like so much mold.
“Sire, we are removing approximately one Grey Knight per hour. We believe they will have been fully excised within the month.”
“Excellent. And the costs to our own?”
“Tens of thousands per hour.”
“Well within the attrition rates. Tell me of the High Value Targets.”
Typhus knew, of course, and the bridge knew he knew. But it was a reassuring thing, to hear of victories.
“Inquisitor Ohone has been forced out of her Titan, to retreat back to the Beast. We expect the distractions to consume her for some time.”
“Good. And the others?”
“Inquisitor Hera is managing the defense, and we are keeping the pressure on. Inquisitor Athena is suffering the Rot, and hasn’t been seen in hours. Inquisitor Edourd is in similar straits. Saint Fabiyan is suffering an existential crisis. We haven’t found a breaking point for the Interrogator as of yet, but we are still working on approach vectors.”
“Excellent.” He paused, looked back at the messenger. “This is how you achieve victory, my friend.”
“Yes, sire.”
He half gestured. “Not flashy acts of theatre, not overly complex ‘just as planned!’ Not the glory of battle. Just the slow, inexorable pressure, grinding the enemy down. There is no glory, or heroism, no puppet-masters. Just entropy. The steady decay of all living things.” A nod towards the map.
“With pressure on all fronts, cracks appear. A simple fracture, a simple moment of exhaustion. And the flood waters rush in, the infection overwhelms. Even a strong man can be brought down in such a way. The Inquisitors are strong, they are mighty - but they are wearing down.”
The Herald turned back to the screen, where another silver dot had vanished, overrun. “You will learn this, Ohone. I will teach you.”

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

1) We're not even in her head right now.

2) That's why spackle.

3) Everything from Athena (probably, feel free to counter me here) to Heresy Storytime can wait until we're done with what we need to do in the Warp and also not loving inside it anymore.

EDIT: Actually can the guys handle patching up Athena for now, just with the subtle reminder not to make it a perfect seal?

WE were the attack from the rear. There went our tactical advantage. Go team.

I think "fixing" Athena - the person that created our invulnerable mech - and then empowering her with absolute, terrifying authority is the way to beat the endless Warp horde outside. May Horus, the God-Emperor of Mankind, forgive us.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Apply broad spectrum anti-biotics and a backing of disinfectants and anti-biological radiation therapy.

>Withdrawl all troops back to the beast
>Fire all ship weapons into the fray to create a clear shot at Typhus
>bum rush into the opening
>Decap strike.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
1 Grey Knight per hour is like, outfucking rageous losses considering how few of them there are, lordy. (Of course, lol @ each of them taking down ~10k enemy soldiers with them).

We need to kick this poo poo in to gear, get the Knights back to the beast and light up a singularity on top of this army.

Sol system will totally survive a new gravity well just floatin along out here np. Totally worth it.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Serious question, would a decapitation strike work on the forces of Nurgle? Seems like they, more than any other Chaos entities, would shrug and go "Well, this is what I was doing anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Doesn't really seem like it, I think we just have a personal grudge against Typhus. Also making our heistcapades down the line easier if Nurgle's herald gets offed.
I figure we have to have some true WMD class weapons that we haven't deployed yet, just because, well, we're Ohone and and WMDs are kinda our thing. Gravity based weapons seem like the closest thing to a match on our Titan at least, but afaik we haven't deployed them because it would be such a wide ranging effect it'd crush the Grey Knights too.