Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Magos-Comptroller Atillus Quiranus, Chronokineticist of the 6th Circle, Reality Enforcement Division, Ministry of Chronokinetics.
Location: Covert Node 972-SU, Facility Alpha, Kenaz System, Athenian Technocracy, Ultima Segmentum.

The Comptroller stood before a vast array of screens, dozens upon dozens arranged in a hemisphere above him. Dozens of lenses whirred and moved and focused, his optics array making his head look for all intents and purposes like a sea-urchin, He floated at the centre of of the circle suggested by the hemispherical array, held aloft by a set of mechanical wings extending as a series of vanes from his shoulders and down his spine, his "wingspan" easily covering nine metres from tip to tip. No more did he feel like a marionette attached to his machines, having been freed some months previous from such backwards notions as cables and hardwiring by the adoption of multi-exabyte-level quantum encrypted wireless transmission. He also felt liberated from the endless, pointless bowing and scraping to tools and objects that had been forced upon him and upon his brethren. Just as importantly, he felt liberated from the ties to the very forces of entropy and ruin that the Dark Mechanicus had lain in bed with as an answer to the argument with their Martian counterparts.

Deep down in the bowels of this covert operations node, he felt freer than he ever had striding the surface of the Dark Mechanicus Forgeworld he had been born upon.

>>> Remote socket open.
>>> <Secure Containment Maniple 86-Chi Auth ███████ Reports Mission Complete. Databurst Follows.>
>>> Encrypted packet received.
>>> <Receipt confirmation requested.>
>>> Receipt confirmed. Next contact +6 standard hours. Initiate Null Protocol until then. Also ████ ███████ ██ ███████
>>> <Confirmed. Secure Containment Maniple 86-Chi Out.>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Xun posted:

So, how exactly do you plan on publishing this without getting hit by GWs copyright inquisitors? I'm unironically curious since wouldn't you have to rewrite the entire thing? I really don't think you can pull a 50 shades here and cntrl-f replace space marines with archangels or whatever.

Thats the plan, yup.

Draft 0: Copying everything to a google doc. Book 3 is here. (up to thread page 430)
Draft 1: Change to third person. Book 1 and 2 is here.
Draft 3: Sanitizing everything. I have about 10 pages of different names, cosmologies, etc.
Draft 4: Adding different points of view. This ranges from Cruentus to Jazmine to Sebekh.
Draft 5: Actually editing. Removing plot lines that didn't go anywhere. Fixing foreshadowing.

Then it goes to some proofreaders/actual editors in the Book Barn.

Loel fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 18, 2016

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
As an afterthought, we need an alternative supply of killers to rend and maim on our command while we do research. No, not the Kreig, the catte.

We should build a cattery or use the massive private jungle with variable gravity as a catte to start producing these predators on a case-by-case basis and to keep any apprentices on their toes.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I feel like anybody trying to court Team WTF's vote fundamentally doesn't get Team WTF.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

AmyL posted:

As an afterthought, we need an alternative supply of killers to rend and maim on our command while we do research. No, not the Kreig, the catte.

We should build a cattery or use the massive private jungle with variable gravity as a catte to start producing these predators on a case-by-case basis and to keep any apprentices on their toes.

holy poo poo yes please. we've seen how useful Fluors and her proteges have been.

bonus points if we have the Krieg raise them from kittens.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

sullat posted:

See, this is where Ohone has an opportunity to build a power base. All these desperate hive worlds, what do we have to offer them in exchange for their support? Do we still have that damned STC? What miracles of agri-tech can we whip up? High-yield algae strains? Super efficient recycling system for super high calorie virdigris soy? Plump helmet farms for the under-hives? We need to be a new Athena, offering tech in exchange for loyalty.

I shoulda known it wasn't the real Athena when we had to teach her how to knit. That was a dead give-away.

Someone's been reading Tuf Voyaging. :D

Main character is a bit dickish, but really love that book.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

(Slice of life?) Awake

She had said to trust her, and you always did, but when you woke up in a completely unfamiliar lab, it was hard not to immediately assume the defensive and attempt escape.

Not that you could anyway. You were strapped down pretty tightly. Leather-lined metal bands across your wrists, ankles, chest. You tested them, then tried your full strength with your right wrist, and while it creaked, it held.

Recon, then. You were on your back on something cold. It looked like a medic bay; there were medical supplies behind glass on recessed shelves. There were also less-than-medical supplies; specimen jars, wires, circuit boards, things you couldn’t recognize.

Above you was a lamp on an adjustable arm. You’d expected there to be all number of torture devices, for a medic bay, but it was only a lamp, with plastic wrapped around it.

There was a faint hum, somewhere above. Probably the lights, probably the environmental system. Hopefully not anything sinister. But as the moment of panic alarm abated, you felt yourself returning to your usual flat, emotionless state… then sinking past it.

It’d been a long time since you’d felt anything like despair, but recent events had definitely warranted it. Your wings were folded awkwardly under your back, then wrapped in something, something very cold; a bony cushion against the table, stripped of their feathers, and you felt revolted by them, and the sickening warpfire you had last seen enveloping them. Revolted by your years of service, by the devotion of the Abrogates, by your own faith. Gritting your teeth, you yanked against the bindings again, to no effect. A medic bay would have scalpels, cauterizers, and while you didn’t have a lot of medical knowledge, you knew enough for battlefield surgery. It was just one of those things that came in handy. Battlefield surgery behind your back? Might be a bit more difficult.

You heard the hiss of a door, and a soft clicking on the floor. You looked around, and spotted your wife at the foot of the table; outside her Lord-Sire’s armor, in simple tech-priest robes, like the day you’d met her. Her eyes were weary and sad, and her gaze was the distant stare she had when busy processing or programming something, until she realized you were awake. “Hey.”

“Hey.” It came out in a croak. You wondered how long you’d been out. You swallowed and tried again. “Hey. Where are we? How long have I been out?”

She flinched. “We’re on Olympus. This is my new lab.” She gestured around halfheartedly. “It’s… not what the old one was, but it’ll do. It’s been a couple of days. I didn’t freeze you for a few millennia.” She smiled half-heartedly. “Joke.”

“And what am I doing here?”

“Well, you were sleeping until I could get a few fires under control. I didn’t expect you to be awake yet.” She leaned back against the side of the table, then hopped up to sit on it. A faint flicker of amusement surfaced among your despair. She was so petite, you wondered if it grated on her, if that was why she went for the huge and outlandish in all things.

You felt your eyebrows raise. “Really? And, I’ve metabolized worse things than whatever sedative you gave me, I’m sure.” You would’ve almost smiled, if it wasn’t so tiring to do so. “So… why am I here?”

She didn’t look at you. The hood of her robes obscured her face. You heard a soft clicking, one-two-three-four, metal on metal. She was likely tapping her fingers on the table. “I had to keep you safe. I… didn’t know what you would do if I couldn’t keep an eye on you.”

“Surely you trust me more than that?”

“Should I? You pulled out a knife and I didn’t know who you were going to kill first, Athena, yourself, or maybe just all of us in quick order.”

“I…” the words died on your lips, and you held your gaze for a second, then shifted your wings (hateful heretical things) under your back uncomfortably.

“See?” She turned her head, though you could only see one eye. “So I wanted to keep you safe. I have to keep you safe. You’re the most precious thing in the galaxy to me.”

“You have the rest of the Family. A devoted cult. Two AIs.”

“They’re not you. I need you, Fabiyan. I refuse to let you die. I got you back once, remember?”

You sighed and stared up at the adjustable lamp. “It wasn’t worth it.”

“You saved my life, literally. Twice. And you don’t know what I went through to get you back.” The clicking ceased, and Ohone’s voice had an edge you weren’t used to, a hurt and anger that she hadn’t turned on you before. “Don’t EVER tell me it wasn’t worth it. I could’ve brought back anyone else, but I need YOU.”

You didn’t have an answer to that. You looked at her again, and she was staring at you, angry. As soon as she caught you looking, she looked away again, at the floor. “Hon… I…”

“No. I’m not going to argue with you like this. I have work to do.” She hopped down from the table, and began walking around you, collecting supplies, ripping open packages and handing tools to her mechadendrites.

“What are you planning to do with all of those?” You asked, with only a note of trepidation. “Are you going to remove these… things?”

“No. They’d probably grow back anyway. I remember what happened when this happened to me… sort of.” She ripped open a bag and leaned over your arm, the anti-static fabric of her robe brushing over your exposed skin, and you felt the sting of a needle in your elbow.
Another bag, and she unspooled some tubing, hanging fluid from a hook you hadn’t noticed. Within seconds, your body was numb, and the room became slightly foggy. “You’re not going to knock me out?”

“I need you awake. I have to check in with you to make sure I’m not screwing up. Trust me. I made Athena teach me how to do it.”

“That doesn’t really inspire trust…” you began to say, but she put a finger on your lips.

“Just… trust me. Have faith, if not in the God-Emperor, then in me.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

You really should write more :allears: :3:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I have a whole variety of issues that mess with my self esteem, but that's drat high praise. Thank you.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

;)

I'm picturing Fabiyan with something like this

Except they are also on fire :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LowellDND posted:

You really should write more :allears: :3:

Agreed, please do write more.

cat_herder posted:

holy poo poo yes please. we've seen how useful Fluors and her proteges have been.

bonus points if we have the Krieg raise them from kittens.

Cybercattes with boosted intelligence of all shapes and sizes for various tasks! Sabertooth-sized ones with powerfield-enhanced teeth and claws for warmongering/guards; lynx-sized ones with chameleon-style colourshift and frog-style temperature control, etc

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hexenritter posted:

Cybercattes with boosted intelligence of all shapes and sizes for various tasks! Sabertooth-sized ones with powerfield-enhanced teeth and claws for warmongering/guards; lynx-sized ones with chameleon-style colourshift and frog-style temperature control, etc

This will be the Tribes' zoo all over again.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LowellDND posted:

So, we have Demeter, Persephone, Hades, a heroquest and a marriage.

What are we attempting to reenact? What can be changed? What are possible consequences?

Last time we went back and invented new cloning tech, I think? And messed with Space Marine DNA and made learned how to improve our Krieg?

If we re-enact the story of Inanna and Dumuzi, we've already had a good start. We've fought the God of Disease, gone to the underworld, lost all our power. All we need to do next is die, and then kill our husband and then be reborn. Perhaps we can tie it in to some incident from the first age of strife. Possible rewards inclue making the quester stronger, gaining a treasure, or learning more about Loki and the first age of strife.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

wiegieman posted:

If Loki was Mag'Ladroth the Void Dragon (or any of the other C'Tan) reality would already be warping and breaking under the sheer weight of its existence.

Maybe it has been warping. A Chaos god died. But keep in mind Lowell can and probably should change a lot of the facts and back stories on these forces given that he's making it his own.

LowellDND posted:

Thats the plan, yup.

Draft 0: Copying everything to a google doc. Book 3 is here. (up to thread page 430)
Draft 1: Change to third person. Book 1 and 2 is here.
Draft 3: Sanitizing everything. I have about 10 pages of different names, cosmologies, etc.
Draft 4: Adding different points of view. This ranges from Cruentus to Jazmine to Sebekh.
Draft 5: Actually editing. Removing plot lines that didn't go anywhere. Fixing foreshadowing.

Then it goes to some proofreaders/actual editors in the Book Barn.

I speculate that the biggest hurdle outside of simply having so much to edit would be communicating the setting. Here, you can say "Space Marine" and a bunch of nerds either know why 10 of them could take over your ship, or they get told by the other nerds. So you're going to be tasked with establishing a whole weird universe while still communicating your story arcs. I don't envy that but am really rooting for you!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

poor life choice posted:

Maybe it has been warping. A Chaos god died. But keep in mind Lowell can and probably should change a lot of the facts and back stories on these forces given that he's making it his own.

I speculate that the biggest hurdle outside of simply having so much to edit would be communicating the setting. Here, you can say "Space Marine" and a bunch of nerds either know why 10 of them could take over your ship, or they get told by the other nerds. So you're going to be tasked with establishing a whole weird universe while still communicating your story arcs. I don't envy that but am really rooting for you!

Oh yeah. Arc 1 is going to be a lot of exposition (Bricellus will start as a religious floor scrubber, we'll hear some sermons, etc https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657951&pagenumber=86#post441220429) and I'm inventing a whole thing of slang. Random selection:

Arditi del Populi: Formal term for Shock Brigades
Astaroth: God of secrets, deception, and betrayal
Autopistol: Based on the MP5 PDW, the MP7A2, or similar. Katies use the first, Arditi use the second.
Autogun: AK-47, AKM, AK-74, AK-12, or variants.
Avatar: Hologram of an AI, can be injured via hyperblades
Baalmuian: God of disease, decay, and entropy
Battle Rifle: Primary weapon of the Katies, based on the G3 TGS
Boltgun: Slang; a device for killing cattle. Used exclusively by Commissars for executions via the medulla oblongata. Based on Taurus Judge.
Great Schism: When half the Nephilim and the Tagmata rebelled, joining the Great Enemy. The Empress was critically injured here.
Giants: Anti-ballistic missile defense. Based on the S-300
Katie/Katies: Slang for kománto thánato. Signature weapon is the Mister.
Kománto Thánato: Formal term for Special Forces. See Katie/Katies
Madam: Slang for Medium Atomic Demolition Munition. The nuclear warhead of naval ships and mounted on the KEP, forming an MEFP. Based on the W45

Really, this goes on for like 10 pages :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 18, 2016

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Tomn posted:

I feel like anybody trying to court Team WTF's vote fundamentally doesn't get Team WTF.

Having just skimmed the last 100 or so posts (minus lowels posts and a few... Slices of life by other players? What's up with that?), is there any side we could throw in with that would make things more confusing? Its my understanding that we're high on something, trapped in the warp and imagining that the emperor was secretly Horus all along, something something Loki. Something something warp being destroyed

Edit: something something kohrne is dead. Something something wedding

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

why is team kill the chaos gods with Loki? Sure he made Khornes death possible but at a huge cost to humanity, killing chaos gods isn't just Lokis goal, it's a human objective as well and I think through improving humanity we can kill the rest, kill the chaos gods should be part of the alliance

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LowellDND posted:

Really, this goes on for like 10 pages :v:

Nice.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Y'know, come to think of it, even the feudal worlds aren't entirely safe from the collapse.

There's basically two issues: First, the culture of the worlds are likely in some way built around the tithe of warriors for the Guard - it's possible the tithe even acts as a form of social engineering, removing the most ambitious and aggressive elements of the population and putting them to work for the Imperium instead of causing trouble for the planet. So when the tithe stops - what happens? When warriors are no longer lifted up to the Clash of the Heavens, or stolen by the Sky Lords, or however they choose to justify the tithe, what happens to the planetary culture?

Even worse, though, feudal worlds are likely to have some kind of Imperial observation station floating around somewhere up top to keep an eye on the planet, to root out heresy, keep things from getting too crazy, call for help in the event of xenos invasion, mark out candidates for the tithe, etc. So what happens to the people who man these stations when they realize the Imperium is gone? How many of them are going to look at their advanced technology and wonder why they should waste away in a metal box in space when they could lord it over the locals? And how many of them actually have the talent to match their ambitions?

It probably won't end in nuclear hellfire or mass regression the way it would on more advanced worlds, but it's still going to end up being one for the history books.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Don’t feel like doing a post, so here are some tips for writing in the Prometheus Cycle.

quote:

The Beast will always have lost corridors, forgotten rooms, ruins of civilizations, and so on. An individual Lord-Sire may map it out briefly, place some semblance of order, but will never last.

By corollary, the Beast will blow up / be wrecked / crash into other ships by the end of the book. It’s Mad Max’s Interceptor. Starts the story functional, crashes along the way.

There will be a wedding. It will be ridiculous and over the top, telenovela style. Conspiracies will be revealed, people will accuse each other of murder, and so on.

Mistaken identities and fake identities are routine. Everyone is pretending to be someone else. This can be through clones, hologram masks, AIs, shapeshifters, whatever.

Time travel is accessible to the extremely powerful, but only closed loops are possible. At most, someone might transfer information that wasn’t seen to be sent last time. Still, expect to see it attempted at least once per book.

Science is scary. Technology is scary. Psykers are scary. Any level of education or power beyond contemporary high school is approached with fear, respect, even awe. Knowing how to troubleshoot a computer makes you a religious figure.

The current bigotries don’t exist. Gay and trans issues aren’t even commented on, and gender isn’t even considered. You will never see anyone do the soft bigotries - ‘pretty good for a woman’, or what have you. Same applies to race.

New and exciting bigotries do exist. Classism and religious intolerance are expected and encouraged. The hated groups tend to be genetic in nature - clones, psykers, mutants, xenos, half xenos and the like.

It’s hard to tell who the good guys are. Or the bad guys. Most everyone is making horrifying, sociopathic decisions, but in a justifiable way. In the same scene, they can be approachable, telling jokes, friendly. For a lot of characters, rudeness is worse than murder.

The Imperium is huge. Routinely toss around ludicrous numbers, tens of thousands of years, millions of ships, trillions of lives. Losing planets isn’t a tragedy, it’s not a statistic - it’s a rounding error.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Brother-Sergeant Octavius Tertius Venatorus. Location: Tantal IV, Realm of Ultramar. Chron: 19/08/M01Y01 Novus Imperium Secundus

>>>STANDBY FOR SALUTE REPORT. READY.

Thought For The Day: Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

1: Situation Ongoing assessment of REDACTED integration into communities, ongoing investigation of sedition and dissident activity.

CONTACT REPORT

Size platoon strength irregular infantry, pre-gunpowder artillery.

Activity rudimentary biological warfare, guerilla warfare

Location Marnean Foothills, REDACTED integration camp, Gridref 33S LB 86102 11394

Units Insurgent irregulars, covert specialists, artillery

Time 02:30 Zulu/14:04 Ultramar, 19th day, Month 8

Equipment bows, crossbows, spears, deadfalls, snares, net traps, spike traps, feces-augmented punji spikes, 3 trebuchets, rotting animal carcasses, insect hives

2:Resolution Following reports of trebuchet-delivered insect hives and carcasses leading to growing sanitation and disease problems at REDACTED integration camp, Fireteams 02 and 03 supported by 24th Cerulean Arrow Musketeer Brigade utilising counterinsurgent forest/jungle doctrine located 3 artillery pieces. Support forces suffered 31 casualties from various traps set by insurgent forces. Flamer use and improvised incendiaries used to encircle insurgent forces. 12 more losses inflicted by insurgent covert specialists before neutralisation. Artillery destroyed using composition 7, antibiotics requested from northern Observation Post Delta. Full personnel/ammunition expenditure attached. Situation remains tenuous.

>>>CONFIRM RECEIPT OF SALUTE REPORT
>>>CONFIRMED

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Toughy posted:

why is team kill the chaos gods with Loki? Sure he made Khornes death possible but at a huge cost to humanity, killing chaos gods isn't just Lokis goal, it's a human objective as well and I think through improving humanity we can kill the rest, kill the chaos gods should be part of the alliance

Cause your guys' team includes Anna, sorceress of Tzeentch.

And let's be honest, murder the gods and topple their thrones ain't the rallying cry of a careful movement. The Pact is results oriented.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Not Alex posted:

Cause your guys' team includes Anna, sorceress of Tzeentch.

And let's be honest, murder the gods and topple their thrones ain't the rallying cry of a careful movement. The Pact is results oriented.

Killing Tzeentch and getting Anna's soul back is part of the to do list last i checked, if we can't, we're human pragmatists and we'll be done with her too.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
So, if we kill Horus, would we get Amacita's soul back?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nyaa posted:

So, if we kill Horus, would we get Amacita's soul back?

If you kill the guy who ate your lunch, do you get your sandwich back?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

sullat posted:

If it's undigested, yes?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

sullat posted:

He took your lunch, now he's dead and you have lunch. Try not to be too pedantic.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Could we add a bit to Loki's team where keep Athena around in a weakened state, but otherwise happy or at least whole?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The Alliance simply has too many objectives, while Team Loki could be said to have no objectives at all, besides "Let's gently caress that sexy robot." Team Murder provides a solid goal to work toward, a goal that is guaranteed to be heard within the Pact, and Team Loki provides support for the only character that has managed to achieve the stated goal.

Besides, we only have Athena's word on the whole Loki situation, and remember what happened the last time we took Athena's word at face value? That's right, it turned out it was Loki tricking us this whole time. Therefore, we should trust Loki instead, since we know we can trust that we can't trust them.

It's all very simple and logical really.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

paragon1 posted:

The Alliance simply has too many objectives, while Team Loki could be said to have no objectives at all, besides "Let's gently caress that sexy robot." Team Murder provides a solid goal to work toward, a goal that is guaranteed to be heard within the Pact, and Team Loki provides support for the only character that has managed to achieve the stated goal.

Besides, we only have Athena's word on the whole Loki situation, and remember what happened the last time we took Athena's word at face value? That's right, it turned out it was Loki tricking us this whole time. Therefore, we should trust Loki instead, since we know we can trust that we can't trust them.

It's all very simple and logical really.

Alliance Objective List
Fix the broke stuff

Simple :downs:

Loki would be proud of your logic in paragraph two, I must admit.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

sniper4625 posted:

Alliance Objective List
Fix the broke stuff

Simple :downs:

Loki would be proud of your logic in paragraph two, I must admit.

See this is what I'm getting at, everything is broken. Your objectives are a set containing everything i.e. infinity. You'll never get around to murdering the Chaos gods like that.

Also thank you!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

But what is consider "broken"? We could count as broken. Our husband could be a broken man. Or rather, what is not broken? Law of physics? Those might already been long broken too!

maybe catgirl is the perfection

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Nyaa posted:

If it's undigested, yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVgMFY1JFGU

Unrelated:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Oso5x

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Guys, so many of you loved Athena...

I know it's hard to accept that Athena was a transgender Mind in drag, but I think we should try to accept her/his/whatever's choices.
Why won't you love LokiThena anymore? :(

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Still not the issue.

Eh, it's fine for now; problems are just about inevitable but by no means imminent.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

RA Rx posted:

Guys, so many of you loved Athena...

I know it's hard to accept that Athena was a transgender Mind in drag, but I think we should try to accept her/his/whatever's choices.
Why won't you love LokiThena anymore? :(

Because Loki is known for causing trouble and sidestepped is to get enormous power? Because he corrupted our actual goddess, and is probably why all the Abominable Intelligences revoked in the first place?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Because loki is a jerk who used our position to spy on everything we had access too. (probably).

Thats a huge breach of trust. I mean, for a evil overlord, that they didn't even ask means that there's no way we'll ever be an equal, peer, or right hand woman even IF we go all in - because loki simply doesn't respect life beyond thinking of them as tools or pawns.

Also, he's such a dick the emperor punched him. When we're talking radical religious overtones, the fact that your glorious golden robot overlord slapped a bitch should be a Big rear end Warning Bell, yo.
I mean, if non-evil Fabiyan stands against something, you KNOW they're just wrong.
Its kind of like that. Only, you know, multiplied by a factor of omnissiah and emperor instead of saint.

Edit: Cutting or subverting the link between us and loki is probably something that should happen sooner rather than later.
The ability to go 'hey, goddess, give me some divine insight and tell me what I'm looking at here' is pretty nifty, but its a lot less so when you become aware there's been a malicious intent behind it the entire time. We should assume that most of the stuff we've done has been passed off to loki, mole style, or at least dig into the cyberware side of things to confirm/verify our suspicions because haha gently caress that's bad.

Anyway! Team Shadowseer is now forming as a thing.
Our stance is as follows: Circus herding clowns saving dying races against the horrors the future holds. Ignore me at your own peril, monkeys!
We have the fanciest headwear. Come join me instead of hatin!

Supplementary mask, because it was a tough call to make. Much like my posting.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 19, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

*Cracks knuckles*.

More thoughts on the Mars situation. I find it -highly- suspicious that before everything went to extra-poo poo, the mechanicus were in the middle of opening the vaults of moravec and disemminating new and interesting technologies - into shields up, help down, gently caress you mode as soon as golgotha happened. Thats mighty strange timing.

What led to this train of thought: I was thinking about stuff still on the beast, aside from the Pillar, in tandem with 'what if loki really has necron dna'. I was about to say something along the lines of 'man, if loki IS a necron, he'll probably want his dragon body back at some point. Then I thought about
it, and what it would be like if I was wrong. I mean, we know the emperor is the only one who beat him. We also know that the emperor chained stuff beneath mars to further humanity's growth. But we don't know the exact details.

I mean, yeah. The thing stapled to the beast's bow IS a dragon, possibly even a void dragon. If loki hasn't made moves to get it back, with olympus-tier teleportation resources at his disposal - then it means he doesn't have an interest in recovering it. So if he doesn't want the body back, then it means the really interesting to a mind stuff wasn't the dragon, it was the stuff in the dragon's hoard.

Which was just being opened.
Which is now stuck on mars.
Where we can't see what is being done with it.
Getting our rear end to mars just got a big bump up in necessity.

I'm going to go ahead and say that mars is going to be Invasion beachhead 2.0 when loki gets sick of pitting pawns and enemies against each other.

As a sensible counter to this tactic, we need to run everything we saw/found from the vaults past Real-Thena and Her Posse Of Ourselves to confirm or deny just how dangerous this poo poo it - as real thena is both a mind, and one possessing Defcon -1 level technology skills, this makes her the best equipped to go 'ho gently caress that's super dangerous'.
Its also loki's style to position Mind-killer systems right next to Hera, because the Mars Quarantine is a perfectly nice cover to move pieces around for a cuban loki crisis.

Worst scenario involves mars being under invasion, fallen already, or the leadership is traitor. If humanity's gonna survive this disaster, we kind of have to preserve that forge world at all costs. Which means moving now.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

LowellDND posted:

The Truth

You had the strange sensation of watching yourself speak from outside of your body - an easy and confident speech of half truths and nuances, based on a decade of rehearsing. You could see the webs of binary stretching across the chamber like gossamer, reminding you nothing so much as the psider on Golgotha. You briefly wondered where Gorgon had gotten off to. A pang of emotion. You wondered where Fabiyan was.

You could feel the presence of the Fabricator - of Mars - surround you. Filters seemed to shift around you, spinning and weaving, and you could see the silver armor that Athena had granted you, partitioning aspects of your mind. You felt a sudden coldness, then, knowing that whatever ancient auspexes that were in this place had found you out in some aspect.

“I thought you might prefer seeing things this way.”
You blinked, turned. An older man, aged and ragged looked back at you.

“I’m sorry?”
“You aren’t a Magos like they are, raised in the traditions. A Rogue Trader, an Inquisitor. Someone used to knowing truths, and not sharing them.” He stretched out languidly, sat down on one of the random bits of machinery that surrounded you. “You want me to move the entire galaxy to Golgotha. And you’ve clearly got more lostech than just the Titan. How about we speak freely to each other?”

You chuckled humorlessly. “Fabricator, if you know me that well, you know that I’m hardly going to share everything on a first date, even if it’s with you. To be honest, I’m surprised you aren’t just scooping it out of my head.”
He joined you in laughter, if briefly. “That’s fair. And I considered it. Getting partial information on a decision like this is … not optimal. But there would be costs involved, and I’d rather avoid them.”
“What would those be? If we’re being honest with each other.”
“Wringing your brain out like a rag has an oddly high number of fatal side-effects.”
“I can’t imagine it would bother our audience.”
“It wouldn’t. No, it would bother Kozilek. And that’s a hornet’s nest I like to avoid.”
You blinked in startlement. “He’s one Inquisitor.”
The Fabricator narrowed his eyes at you. “You have no idea who you accepted patronage from, do you? That’s interesting.”
“One particularly powerful and long-lived Inquisitor.”
He grunted a laugh. “Long-lived. Yeah, that’s one way of putting it.”

Internally, you made a face. He was getting a lot more from the conversation than you were, but that really had to be expected. Just… was embarrassing, feeling like you were always losing each verbal spar. You had a thought, laughed briefly. Sincera Pax probably could have kept up with him.

The Fabricator tapped his leg. “How’s this. I’ll tell you another secret, and you decide what to tell me.”
“You seem to have great confidence in what you can garner from whatever secret I choose.”
“I do indeed. That fair to you?”
“Go for it.”
He shrugged. “The Throne is failing.”
You caught your breath. “This one? On Mars?”
He laughed. “No. On Terra. The God-Emperor is going to die soon, and we can’t fix it.”

You took another breath. Another. This was a virtual form, it shouldn’t be panicking like this. Get more information. Make plans from them. Yes.
“Who else knows? And how long do we have?”
“The High Lords. The Custodes. We have… fifteen, twenty centuries maybe. If we sent out your Message in a ‘bet everything’ deal, we’ll lose a few centuries more. So.” His eyes went hard, met yours. “What’s worth that?”

“A secret worth knowing the Throne is failing? Or a secret worth moving the galaxy?”
“Either. Both.”
You chuckled dryly. “Because to me that sounds like the same thing.”
“An STC that would save Him would certainly be worth it. Seen one?”
“I might have a one better. The Mars Federation.”
Did he go still? It was hard to tell. “Last I checked, we already had one. You think we can survive without the God-Emperor? Go back to one head on the Imperial Eagle?” He paused, cocked his head. “At the very least, it would require FTL that wasn’t the Warp.”
“That it would.”
He grunted. “Bit more impressive than a new model Titan.”
“Letting that knowledge out would be a declaration of war on the Navigator Guilds. It seemed more prudent to be cautious.”
“Heh. Wouldn’t that be a kick in the teeth for them. So you think we can take over the Imperium entirely?”
“That, of course, would be treason. I’m saying that, if the Throne fails, we have a back-up plan.”
“And the fact that the Message would shorten the life of the Throne has nothing to do with it.”
“As an Inquisitor, I am loyal to Holy Terra.”
“Of course.”

“Now, that is interesting. I would have thought a Rogue Trader would have been all about the social elevation. Getting this information to me, maybe get a seat at the table in the new Pax Mechanicus.”
You blinked. “Not at the cost of a new civil war.”
“But not even as method of ‘saving’ everyone, either. At least, not as your first priority.”
“Well. It seems premature to be making plans about ‘a seat at the table’ for an event a dozen centuries in the future, particularly when Golgotha is happening right now.’
He laughed. “I sometimes forget how young you are.”
“I like to keep busy.”
“I see that. So what do you want out of this, if not Pax Mechanicus?”
Fabiyan. “Status quo, or an improvement to it.”
“Status quo isn’t worth keeping. We’re losing, you know.” Graphs and maps flickered across your vision faster than you could follow. “Even if the Throne survives, we’ll be overrun a millennia or two later. The Golgotha plan is … very much, a ‘have faith’ moment.”
“Is that something you have?” The question was impetuous, unexpected.

“Hah. I trust the machines. I trust physical laws, I trust consistency.”
“But not in the God-Emperor.”
“Faith in the God-Emperor was always more the area of Lorgar’s expertise.”
A passing thought. “What, then, makes a human?”
A shadow passed over the Fabricator’s face. “I find the better question is what unmakes one.”

“I find concentrated lasfire works wonderfully.”
“Hah. But no, they are still human, if somewhat dead at the moment.”
“At the moment?”
“Sure. We might turn them into servitors, for example. Are they still human?”
“I wouldn’t think so. They lack autonomy.”
“So autonomy makes someone human? And losing it means you are no longer so?”
“I think we could say that.”
He peered at you. “But the Imperium asks all its servants to serve. You and I, we may have autonomy in our decisions, but for every one of us, there are a billion dregs.”
“They still choose to serve.”
“Do they? Or are they just placed there by circumstance?”
“We can’t choose our circumstances, but we choose how we respond to them. Whether we serve or become traitors.”
“So, service is what makes humanity.”
You considered. “No, I don’t think so. Servitors serve, but they aren’t human. The choice is what matters.”
“So if we no longer have a choice?”
“We always have a choice. Fear might make us think we don’t, fear of consequences, of loss, of insignificance. But we still have a choice.”
“Therefore, fear is what unmakes a human.”
You paused, thought it through. “Yes.”
“So I think the question at this point would be; what do you fear, Ohone Konichev?”

You met his gaze evenly. “I fear futility. I fear fate controlling everything I do, every decision being meaningless, everything predestined. I want to know, not that my choice matters, but that I have in fact a choice at all.”
“You must not be happy with the death grip fate has had on your Dynasty, then.”
“Our Family has the spotlight of the galaxy on us, that much is true. But we have decided what to do from there. Suceed or fail, serve or turn traitor, we have decided.”
“And your experience in the Webways hasn’t changed that?”
His knowledge of that didn’t surprise you. “It has certainly disturbed me. Have you travelled the Webways, Fabricator?”
“Certainly.”
“Then you know what I found, in my journeys to the past.”
“A closed loop.”
“A closed loop. What does it say, then, that my deepest fears may in fact be true? That my destiny is written by others, decided by others?”
He shrugged. “Better minds than you - or I - have made themselves mad thinking of it. There is a branch of Magi who work with Temporal mechanics. Or they will someday, they aren’t clear on that.”
“Would have preferred them to the Eldar. Or, for that matter, I would have preferred the Ordos Chronos.”
The Fabricator grunted. “They tell me their message is on their way.”
“Doesn’t do me much good now, does it.”
“‘Now’ is such an imprecise term, I find.”

You settled back thoughtfully. Spoke after a time. “What were you looking for?”
“Hm?”
“In the Webways. What were you trying to change?”
“Oh. I told Odin he had seen the wrong future.”

“Did it work?”
He chuckled humorlessly. “Closed loops, as you discovered. Odin went off like a drat fool, talking about how he was needed at Ragnarok. Well, it killed him, sure enough, but it wasn’t the end of things.”
“I think some people might contest that last bit.”
“Heh. What do you think, are we in the end of things?”
“If the Throne is failing, and the armies are failing… Maybe the end of things as we know them.”
“Ah, to be young again.”
“You think it’s the end of things?”
He glanced at you. “Are you trying to convince me, or yourself?”

You paused, changed the subject. “When was this? Who was Odin?”
“A long time ago, and I used the Webways to go back even further. Odin was… a great warrior. A leader.”
“In the Great Crusade?”
“Sure. Point was, I tried to warn him, and I sometimes think I caused it.”
You made a show of being confused. “The Heresy?”
He waved it off. “Old events, Ohone, from long ago. I get a chance to talk, and I end up telling old stories no one remembers.”
“Who were you fighting? Orks?”
“Machines.”
“Ah. Iron Men.”
He glanced away.

“What happened afterwards?”
A shrug. “We tried to pick up the pieces, those of us who survived. It took a long time.”
“Is that how you became Fabricator?”
“In a roundabout sort of way, I suppose.”
“So you entered the Webways as a Magi, tried to convince Odin, and it didn’t work? How did you know about Odin, decide to choose him to try to change?”
“It scarcely matters at this point, don’t you think?”

You touched the scarf absently, considering your words. Athena apparently wanted to ensure it was known a Mind was back in play, but not necessarily which one… and whoever could see your wards had probably met her, or known someone who had. Perhaps Odin had given the Fabricator some benefit, the way Athena had for you.

And asking if Odin was one of the Men of Iron (and if the Fabricator was in fact a traitor to the Mechancius) would be rather problematic at best.

“I’ve heard that word before. Ragnarok. What was Odin fighting?”
“The Empire of Ares. Odin had always thought that Skoll would eat the stars, but it was Ares that did it.”
“I don’t know what those mean. Who those were. Did you try to warn him not to fight the Ares Empire?”
“Among other things.”
“Like the men of gold?”

You had the unpleasant feeling of seeing a mind… grow. Uncoil. That the bare human fragment in front of you was only the face of the beast, or perhaps the bait on some deep-ocean leviathan. It’s smile was … strange.

“Dangerous words, Ohone. Where did you hear them?’
“Part of my research. The Journal of Keeper Cripias.”
“So you think Odin was one of the Men of Stone?” Again, that not-smile. “Or one of the Men of Iron?”
“I can’t imagine a Magos working with the Iron Men. Or the reverse.”
“But you can imagine a Magos working with the Men of Stone.”
“I’m not quite sure what they were.”
He paused, seemed to calm. “There were fighters. Great leaders, great warriors.”
“Did the Men of Gold need them for something?”
“They said a darkness was coming. I don’t know what they thought they saw.”
“But then the Gold and Iron fought.”
“Yes. Over different visions of the future.”
“Which version did you see?”
He glanced at you, didn’t reply.

“Did any of them survive?”
“Hm?”
“The Men. Gold, Stone, or Iron.”
“The Mechanicus’ entire purpose is to never let Iron happen again.”
“So they weren’t all destroyed?”
He went quiet. “There might be a few left. Dead worlds, cold minds. One thing Explorators look for.”
“And the others?”
“It was hectic at the end. Athena was never seen, Hades vanished early. Loki, of course. Ares and Odin died with their teeth at each other’s throats. Of the others, I’m not sure.”
“What would the Mechanicus do if one came back?”
“if one was on Golgotha, you mean?”
You tried to keep your face expressionless, but he nodded nonetheless. “Thought so. Did you wake it? Do you learn who it was?”

Every muscle in your body - or machine, in this case - went still. Was this the time you died?
“I spent nearly a decade on Titan. I think if they would have found anything, I wouldn’t have it made it here.”
The Fabricator nodded. “Good… good. If TItan’s been subverted, we’re done before we start.”
You thought of little!Athena, but said nothing. He tapped his leg. “My line of thinking is - we’re pretty much screwed regardless. Either by failure of the Throne, or by the slow loss of troops on the lines. So… this will be our double-or-nothing gamble. I’ll forward the call.”
“And if it’s wrong?”
He grinned humorlessly, almost skull-like. “Then we die a bit faster.”
“And… no one will have a problem with an active AI, even if it is benign?”
He clasped your shoulder. “Ohone, we have a legion of the things. Legio Cybernetica. We can file the Intelligence there, and most people won’t even look twice.”
“... Just like that?”
“Just like that.”

Still, looking at that smile, you had a sinking feeling about all of this.

“Ah, looks like you are wrapping up.”
You glanced at ‘you.’ Your details of your exploits were starting to wander a bit, and it would probably be best if you returned to your body, brought full cogition to your speech. Autopilot could only do so much, particularly when you were running a multi-layered conversation with the Fabricator on the mainside of things.

“Looks like. With your permission, I was going to Luna next, for repairs.”
He gestured. “Feel free. If you think you have a few hours, I have a small task down in the core that could use your Titan. Bit of Dark Age tech has gotten loose and is mucking up the gears, I thought you might clear it out.”
You blinked. “You can’t?”
“Not with Crusade era tech. Whatever is there is eating everything I send, and some of the more … esoteric things might be helpful for the war. We do have that time constraint though. What do you think?”

Helpful flashbacks! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

Anyway! Team Shadowseer is now forming as a thing.
Our stance is as follows: Circus herding clowns saving dying races against the horrors the future holds. Ignore me at your own peril, monkeys!
We have the fanciest headwear. Come join me instead of hatin!

I like your style, throwing in with Team Circus Jerks.