Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Oneoh. Location: The Eye of Ruin, Athenian Technocracy Space.

She walked alongside her mentor, who towered a good two and a half metres over her in his present utility frame. She was used to his appearance changes. He changed bodies as often as she changed socks and he had offered to help her craft additional frames for herself several times. She was fond of her legs though, totally organic.

They passed a small alcove and she tugged his elbow briefly as she slipped within. He paused and followed her within. A faint crackle was heard as a hyperreality field emitter activated.

"I have an idea about what you've been working on in your restricted labs, Archmagos, and I am troubled by it."

"What, precisely, do you think you know, and what do you think I am doing?"

"I know you were fully aware of what you were doing with the hyperreality fields and how they obscure Mind clairsentience, for one thing. I’m starting to think you don’t trust Athena.”

“Trust is a commodity you would do well to treat as the rarest substance in the universe.” Sebekh replied fondly, almost seeing his protege in the manner of a younger sibling, perhaps a daughter.. “And I see that you’ve been experimenting with hyperreality fields yourself, else this little cone of silence wouldn’t exist. That makes me wonder about your own thoughts regarding her.”

“I can’t deny that she seems a little whimsical on occasion. I never used to have this feeling of unease before but I’ve been… I don’t know how to describe it. Worry isn’t the right word.” She frowned softly, the expression creasing her face in a manner the Archmagos did not like.

“You have your doubts, and they’re growing.” It was a statement of fact more than a query. “Soon enough, I am going to ask you a very difficult question, and I must be sure you will answer it correctly. Until then, any thought of this meeting or your concerns should be sequestered where others would not think to look.”

Oneoh looked up toward the silvered visage of her mentor and nodded softly. “I understand.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Oneoh. Location: The Eye of Ruin, Athenian Technocracy Space.

To this day, the jarring shift of a teleport made her feel a little queasy. A simple synthesised anti-emetic quelled the sensation quickly and she strode across the observation deck toward Athena. “You said you had something urgent to talk to me about? What’s wrong?”

Athena turned, pushing a lock of her dark brown hair out of her face. She looked less jocular and bright than usual. “I think our friend might be planning something.”

“Our f-- you mean Archmagos Sebekh?” Oneoh’s eyes widened with surprise. She sold the deception well. Machine control of things like pulse, pheromones, skin conductivity, all helped erase the tells, and she was a very quick student.

“Yes. You know the special projects he’s been working on?” Athena asked pointedly. Her face bore lines of concern Oneoh had never seen before.

“Yes, from what I’ve read of the notes he’s allowed me access to, it’s something to do with hardening dimensional membranes, to deal with daimons and Acheron-influenced psionics.” She wasn’t lying, and the best lies aren’t lies at all.

“I get the feeling it goes much further than that. Whatever he’s working on doesn’t even register to my senses. I can’t see it, sense it, anything.”

“I’ll try to find out more. I hope you know if it comes down to it that I’m well aware you’re the one who saved me, who took me away from the violence on Golgotha.”

“I do.” Athena said quietly as she turned back to the viewport, the immense black hole’s accretion disk filling the firmament before them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Had to go back to the OP to grab this one:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Turns out the story was about Oneoh all alone :D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Menerwé. Location: ???

The swirling maelstrom raged ever onward outside, everywhere except directly ahead of and behind her. Winds made of stranger things than air gusted past her in buffeting waves as she trod the ancient paths. Ahead of her, a shadowy palace of barely perceptible immaterium jutted upward like teeth studding the lower jaw of some great skeleton. Its spires and minarets not something one could directly perceive, the eyes seemed merely to slide right off the ethereal pinnacles.

She had been here many times, but the time between such visits had grown longer and longer. This was the first time in over three centuries that she had walked the Webways and set her eyes upon this, the Palace of Sighs. It almost felt like a homecoming, and long overdue. Besides, she would much rather be here than down on the surface with her Captain and the recently rediscovered, re-awakened First Company of the Phantom Guard.

With an echoing creak that seemed to play backwards in her ears, the vast doors of the Palace yawned open even as she was still ascending the steps diagonally. It was a long forgotten sequence to most, but it came to her easily as she alit upon the seemingly random numbers that flickered hazily on the paving stones. One. One. Two. Three. Five. Eight. Here is where those without a flip-belt or other means of navigation would have been unable to proceed without triggering the defences of the place. She had never seen the Palace of Sighs attempt to repel an intruder, but she had been told it had done so, many times. She vaulted up the next level and landed upon a shimmering numeral thirteen. Several minutes and several dozen steps later she stood in the cavernous entry arch and lowered her hood, running her fingers through her long brown hair and calling out “I’m here.” as she tucked a lock behind a sharply pointed ear.

“I know.” Came her sister’s voice as she emerged from the deep, impenetrable shadows. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too Athena.” She said with a warm, genuine smile.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Going to be interesting to see what changes get made to make the Eldar not obviously Elves in Space.

You could probably write out the Dark Eldar completely since they are just so completely unnecessary as a faction.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

paragon1 posted:

Going to be interesting to see what changes get made to make the Eldar not obviously Elves in Space.

You could probably write out the Dark Eldar completely since they are just so completely unnecessary as a faction.

Gimpdar haven't featured even remotely prominently so they're an easy write-out. Elves as a phenomenon in fantasy predate Warhammer so rationalising a quasi-humanoid race with pointy ears and magicky woo woo should be easier than, say, rewriting the Imperial Cult, The Inquisition or the AdMech. The trick is in the presentation though, and writing them as a convincing not-Eldar faction is going to require work.

Their agility and pointy ears could just as easily be felid traits, but then we have catpeople and that's just....

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah just change their physical appearance to something completely different that Limosa would still want to have sex with. No pointy ears, and just have them have agility and speed while avoiding overuse of words like "graceful" and "ethereal".

Edit: I believe Bioware went with "blue tentacle head ladies" when they had this problem.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 3, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

paragon1 posted:

Yeah just change their physical appearance to something completely different that Limosa would still want to have sex with. No pointy ears, and just have them have agility and speed while avoiding overuse of words like "graceful" and "ethereal".

Yeah, lithe, long-limbed, slightly elongated heads/faces and whatnot subtly reminiscent of the Anunnaki or star-gods for extra bonus "they hosed around with humanity a long time ago"-ness.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The story of a God betrayed by his children is fairly common; after all Zeus did it to Kronos, and Kronos did it to Uranus.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

sullat posted:

The story of a God betrayed by his children is fairly common; after all Zeus did it to Kronos, and Kronos did it to Uranus.

Don't you talk about my anus like that. :colbert:

More seriously, there is definitely a mythic/pantheistic theme going on with the Minds.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
It goes beyond Limosa having relations with one though - they still can't be too far removed from human, since that's IMO the primary reason the humans and Eldar occasionally don't fight in general.

The Dark Eldar can be written out, but something will have to be written back in in order to maintain the trope of the Eldar being the most ancient and powerful race of star-beings which once had utopia but fell due to their hubris. Without that, there is no reason for them to not still be the most powerful in the galaxy.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Numeron posted:

It goes beyond Limosa having relations with one though - they still can't be too far removed from human, since that's IMO the primary reason the humans and Eldar occasionally don't fight in general.

The Dark Eldar can be written out, but something will have to be written back in in order to maintain the trope of the Eldar being the most ancient and powerful race of star-beings which once had utopia but fell due to their hubris. Without that, there is no reason for them to not still be the most powerful in the galaxy.

They're close enough to human that interbreeding is possible without gene treatments and special medical fuckery. If we go by the "celestial origins" theory, which is the link in the Warhammer fiction (The Old Ones created lots of different races to battle their enemies), then that explains the compatibility. Star Trek followed a similar theme with a Precursor race and what is essentially the Akashic Field or something of the sort providing for the generally bipedal, anthropoid nature of sentient life in the galaxy (I think it was a Deep Space Nine episode that pulled that reveal but I can't be certain).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Could they actually be straight cash humans, and the Federation a Second Humanity, and the Hegemon a Third Humanity, or something?

Sure, as much as they look like us, and as much as they can make more of themselves with us, internal physiologically the Eldar are Really Alien, but that's not a part we need or (from the look of it) even really want to keep.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Could they actually be straight cash humans, and the Federation a Second Humanity, and the Hegemon a Third Humanity, or something?

Sure, as much as they look like us, and as much as they can make more of themselves with us, internal physiologically the Eldar are Really Alien, but that's not a part we need or (from the look of it) even really want to keep.

That's an interesting idea to play around with actually. What if Terra was not where man first learned to crawl? What if the "Eldar" (quite literally "the elder folk" in Germanic languages) are the first evolution of humanity?

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 3, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sexy Greys

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Grognan posted:

Sexy Greys

It's probin' time

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Hexenritter posted:

That's an interesting idea to play around with actually. What if Terra was not where man first learned to crawl? What if the "Eldar" (quite literally "the elder folk" in Germanic languages) are the first evolution of humanity?

Or the other way around; the Hegemon's Gaia isn't actually humanity's motherworld - then again, everyone's going off of reputation at that point, because after wars and climate shifts and raw materials harvests over maybe the Empress knows how long, all before the planet got built over entire, you probably couldn't determine if it was anymore. Time is kind of a fluid concept for this setting at this point anyway. Either way, really.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 3, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Or the Eldar all descend from some early Homo sapian psykeris offshoot who accidentally found the webways and landed far from Terra. Current psykers are actually descendant from H. sapian sapian x psykeris crossbreeds from before the webway event who have undergone subsequent evolution within the H. sapian sapian gene pool. Similar yet different and explain human/Eldar cross breeding.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Could have the Elder and Humanity as both being created by the same precursor race, hence their genetic similarity. But the Elder were created to be master craftsmen and humanity as simple labor, hence the Elder's great disdain for human works. If you model it on the divisions of classical Hinduism, you could throw in orks as the warrior caste fo this precursor race. The precursor race would be the Brahmins, naturally.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hexenritter posted:

(I think it was a Deep Space Nine episode that pulled that reveal but I can't be certain).

It was TNG that did the "Aliens seeded the galaxy's oceans with life and that is why bipedal humanoids are so common" thing.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

“Ah, what a waste of our talents.” Cruentus threw the empty bottle carelessly, shattering it into a crowd of the Dregs.
Raul picked up another bottle from a nearby table, drank. “Right? This is bullshit. No one cares if Dregs die, not even Dregs.” Passed it to Cruentus.
“‘Mystery killer in the Deeps.’ Pah. Gangs want to be acting up again, is all.” He leveled his Mister, fired it. For all his drink, it was a clean shot - the target’s head exploded, splattering the other members of Hellhound. The survivors made as if to respond, saw Raul’s sharklike grin. Retreated.
“See that? Literally shot one, and they didn’t do a drat thing.”
“Yup. They just want to waste our time, waste the Family’s time. Ungrateful little shits.”
Raul checked the cylinder of his revolver, made sure they were loaded. “Let’s call it a day, yeah? This is a time waster.”
“Yeah, sure. Why not. You!”
The person who had been trying to fade back into the wall quailed. “Yes, young masters?”
“Know anything about a serial killer down here?”
Raul pushed the revolver into the man’s neck. “We’ll know if you’re lying.”
The Grateful Burden passed by, making his reply inaudible.
Cruentus growled. “Say that again.”
“Yes, young masters. There have been a series of strange killings. Everyone is scared. Chests opened, organs removed.”
Raul looked at Cruentus meaningfully. “He sure sounds like he knows a lot about the killings.”
“That he does.”
“I think we found the killer.”
Cruentus placed the mouth of his gun at the man’s forehead. “What do you think of that, killer?”
“What? No, young masters, I am but a simple merchant!”
The guns went off nearly simultaneously, leaving a stump of a neck, a loose hanging jaw. The rest of his head was scattered across the bulkhead behind him. They chuckled as the body slumped, still spurting.
Cruentus raised his voice. “We found your killer. The mystery is solved.” Raul chuckled. “Don’t let us hear anything about it again, we don’t like having our time wasted.”
Both drank again, uncaring of what was around them. Began making their way back to the mercenary decks.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

sullat posted:

Could have the Elder and Humanity as both being created by the same precursor race, hence their genetic similarity. But the Elder were created to be master craftsmen and humanity as simple labor, hence the Elder's great disdain for human works. If you model it on the divisions of classical Hinduism, you could throw in orks as the warrior caste fo this precursor race. The precursor race would be the Brahmins, naturally.

You could take that even further and have the Eldar gods be purpose built psychic constructs. Minds purely of the Warp.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Darius
The Beast

Darius stood as he walked in. “Master Limosa! How good to see you!”
Limosa smiled, they embraced briefly. “Father Walton. I’ve got a story for you.”
Darius chuckled, jokingly swept the air with his hand. “Smells like you came right from the battlefield. I hope I didn’t rush you.”
“Well, as you are prone to say. The truth matters.”
“So it does, so it does. Please, be seated. Everyone aboard the Ship is eager to hear your story.”

Around them, the constant sound of typewriters, printers. The newspaper was born here, and died here - every scrap of paper was a synthetic compound, recycled every evening. Some of the papers were probably older than the Lord-Sire himself, and they only needed a fresh inking to get out the new story.

Church-approved, of course.

“So, tell me what happened! Everyone saw you go into the Deeps, fire and flame!”
“Ah, nothing so grand as that. A small mutant outbreak.”
Dalton leaned forward. “Really! Claws for arms, extra mouths… tentacles??”
“Heh. The more mundane things. Genetic aberrations, disguisable. Tis why it took so long to get them noticed.”
“No, no. They were …” Dalton considered. “A deep cover cell of heretic mutants. Through months of investigation, you … found the location of their leader. A great slimy thing, four meters in height, with dozens of tentacle arms and mouths.”
“Really, all that?” Limosa smiled. It was a conversation they’d had many times before, in various forms.
“Definitly. And… he summoned an army of horrible things that we could not even describe.”
“But you will.”
“Of course. They oozed out of the walls, eldritch colors, horrific odours.”
“And then what happened?”
“Well, your troops - grizzled and professional men of the Grey Guard - advanced with flamethrowers, engaged them at melee range. At the same time, you fought the cultist leader with the powers of your mind!”
“Uh huh. What was that like?”
“Hmm… I don’t actually know anything about telepathy. Congratulations, you are now a pyrokinetic. And telekinetic. You lifted him up by the power of your will, melted him in holy flame!”
“That is very definitly impossible.”
“Too late, it’s the truth now.” He smiled. “And the truth matters.”

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
These three ideas:

Hexenritter posted:

Or the other way around; the Hegemon's Gaia isn't actually humanity's motherworld - then again, everyone's going off of reputation at that point, because after wars and climate shifts and raw materials harvests over maybe the Empress knows how long, all before the planet got built over entire, you probably couldn't determine if it was anymore. Time is kind of a fluid concept for this setting at this point anyway. Either way, really.

...work nicely together. Also, would explain why the real Emperor Empress went back to UltraMar rather than sticking around on Terra: The King went home. ;)

PS, loving Darius's character. "The truth matters" is a great tagline.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Cruentus
The Beast
Cruentus straddled the chair, leaned his arms on the back of it. “I can’t figure you out, you know.”
Amacita looked at him disdainfully, even as the nearby Dregs casually got up, walked away. “I’m trying to help people here.”
“Yes, that is what I find so strange. Dregs are … the dregs. They give us money, breed, and die. Who cares?” Puzzlement filled his voice.
“I care. Obviously.”
He brushed his hair back. “If it’s a From-Below strategy, it’s the weirdest one I’ve ever heard of.”
“It’s not.”
“Or you want us to think that. You are one of the prospective heirs, after all.”
“I have no interest in the political games the Family plays.”
He raised his eyebrows. “That just might mean you play them at a higher level. Who is your backer?”
“No one.”
“And you’ve survived this long. You know a dozen Tribunes die every decade. Limosa is unstoppable.”
“Is that who you are concerned about? Limosa?”
“How could you not be?” He considered, switched tacks. “He killed a bunch of Dregs earlier.”
“So did you.”
“Only a couple. He burned an entire enclave of them.”
“Yes, I’m aware. I saw the posters.” They both glanced at the nearby one - Limosa, shining and bright, standing on a pile of exaggerated dead mutants.
“Don’t you care?”
“I do. But you don’t.”
He shrugged easily. “No, I don’t. But that doesn’t mean we can’t work together.”
“Against Limosa.”
“You know how the game works, Amacita. Even if you insist you don’t play.” He cocked his head. “And my record of killing Dregs, while considerable, is only a fraction of his.”
“The lesser evil? Is that how you want to sell yourself?”
Cruentus held up his hands. “I’m a killer. I’m good at it. The psychologists at the Church would probably say I’m a psychopath. But.” His voice firmed. “I am not a maenad. I am not a ‘sanctioned mutant’, with powers that kill and burn. I kill clean.”
She met his eyes for the first time. “What do you want from me, Cruentus?”
“Your support, of course. You’ve somehow managed to survive where dozens of Tribunes have not. You have an angle, and resources, people don’t seem to be aware of. I want to work together.”
“To become Lord-Sire.”
“Please. Our Lord-Sire is unassailable, and to even consider it is suicide. No, to simply be the prospective heir.”
“Uh huh. And what’s in it for me?”
He smiled. “Like you said. Lesser evil.”

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Somewhere, somewhen… :iiam:

Several of the gathered figures grimaced slightly as feedback generated by xenoheretek and archaeowarptek rendered the area sanitised and sequestered. Even remote viewing, psychometry and tachyon-band auspex would register nothing but static and distortion.

D: A bit risky, isn't it. All of us meeting in one place like this?
F: The opportunity doesn't roll around often because of the route.
C: We do have quite a bit of elbow room legally though.
K: How so?
S1: Between us there are at least four Supra Legem mandates, and at least two of us technically do not exist.
A: That's reassuring.
S2: So what exactly are we doing?
C: We are playing the longest game.
S1: That's why it had to be each of you, specifically.
D: I'm flattered.
F: You should be.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hexenritter posted:

Somewhere, somewhen… :iiam:

Several of the gathered figures grimaced slightly as feedback generated by xenoheretek and archaeowarptek rendered the area sanitised and sequestered. Even remote viewing, psychometry and tachyon-band auspex would register nothing but static and distortion.

D: A bit risky, isn't it. All of us meeting in one place like this?
F: The opportunity doesn't roll around often because of the route.
C: We do have quite a bit of elbow room legally though.
K: How so?
S1: Between us there are at least four Supra Legem mandates, and at least two of us technically do not exist.
A: That's reassuring.
S2: So what exactly are we doing?
C: We are playing the longest game.
S1: That's why it had to be each of you, specifically.
D: I'm flattered.
F: You should be.

I read that as a vote at first and wondered where a, b, c, and e went.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

I read that as a vote at first and wondered where a, b, c, and e went.

:iiam:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Interlude
The Beast

The gangs of the Deeps kept a tenuous truce at the best of times. The Family kept them in a tripod, the most unstable of political structures, in order to ensure their own strength - but it meant that the slightest disruption would shatter the fragile peace. In this case, the series of explosions echoing from Between was enough. No one knew who was firing first, but each group was determined to be the last.

Thankfully, their range of weapons was restricted - compared to a battle between Hereditary Traders, or worse, the Tagmata, the battle was a mere skirmish. To the tens of thousands of people who lived in the warzone though, it was pure trauma, one of a handful that would be seen each decade.

The primary weapons were autoguns, and their smaller cousins, autopistols. They lacked finesse, but didn’t require much training - ‘spray and pray’ being the commonly understood term. Within minutes, thousands, tens of thousands of bullets had gone through the air, tearing through the metal walls, punching into unsuspecting flesh. Someone like Cruentus would have known them to be 4.6mm and 7.62mm rounds, but all the Dregs knew were that they were death.

Given the closeness of the terrain, the fact that all three factions lived within speaking range of each other, the guns weren’t the only weapons. They went at each other in a grand melee, using swords, axes, long knives, or improvised bits of metal from the scattered debris of an ancient ship. Blood ran in little rivers, making the wheels of the Grateful Burden squeal. Wordlessly, servitors hosed down the tracks, even as they too were shot and stabbed.

Less frequently, but much more feared, oil fires and ad-hoc explosives occasionally shattered the air. The wealthier people among the Deeps kept light via space whale oil, and it was this oil that ignited, turning whole blocks into pyres. The air recyclers worked overtime, and kilometers away, Family members watched clinically. If the fire spread, entire sections of the interior of the Beast would be opened to space.

Indeed, all the factions above watched carefully - the Church, the Technomancers, the Family. They, too, were a tripod, ready to be knocked over at any time, but for now, they were allied in ensuring that their lessers focused on each other, and not their betters. Such was the way of power, in the Hegemon of Humanity.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Space whale oil?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yup.

edit: Im working my way through to Limosa's death scene, but if anyone has requests, lemme know :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 4, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I take umbrage at the idea that there is anything a hive fleet can't eat. Eating stuff just makes more hive fleet, allowing it to eat more stuff.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I did find that odd myself, yeah :v:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BoneMonkey posted:

Space whale oil?

You'd think an illegal power tap wouldn't be that hard to come by on a space hulk.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wouldn't it just be whale oil considering the Earth whales that you need the term "space whale" to distinguish them from are all very very dead and likely have been for untold thousands of years?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

You'd think an illegal power tap wouldn't be that hard to come by on a space hulk.

Electricity is spooky religious boogyman poo poo for most people. Space whale oil probably doesn't get you shot by annoyed Mechanicus acolytes.

The air quality in the Deeps must be truly hideous.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

quote:

Compared to the dispersed and occasionally isolated world of Between, the Deeps were an overwhelming hive of activity. Even more distracting, it appeared to be an Imperial holiday - celebrating the Holy Saint Ching Shih in her role as Matriarch of the Family, Founder of the Dynasty, and Divine Representative of the God-Emperor. As such, the tens of thousands of people were in wild celebration, with a particular focus on theatre, masks, and reenactment.

Different events of her reputed life were being played out - a dozen people under the costume of a space kraken, swarming over children wearing masks of Space Marines and the Wardens. The quiet shrines inside Alpha Deck were much less sure of the history of Ching Shih, and it was important to be aware of truths. Here, though, all sorts of religious exuberance was encouraged - it was vital that the civilian populace worshipped the Dynasty as was proper.

Above the train, dozens of kites were being flown, shifting on the air currents that kept the ship alive. Beyond them, barely visible under layers of smoke and fireworks, murals centuries or millennia old, detailing saints and battles and memorials barely recognizable and barely remembered. On the train tracks themselves, people wearing purple or gold continued their eternal game, although even Woodhouse was at a loss as to the rules. Some aspects of the Beast of Trall Traal were strange even to people born a kilometer away from their customs.

Between the kraken battles, a funeral march was making its way to the recycling centers of the ship. Any other time, the march would have been the loudest thing in the area, with shrieks, cries, chanting, and shouting, but right now it simply faded into a background of cacophony. Funerals were a mixed emotion of celebration and grief, as people were returned to the ship, to be passed forward anew. Their implants would be removed and re-used, and useful bodies processed for servitors. Ancestors lived on within you in a very literal way, so don’t screw up.

Pushing your way past them, you make it to the Shallows, finally. You are unsure if its a trick of your mind, but it seems quieter here, more somber, the air heated. Incense is thick in the air; ten thousand pilgrims make for a devoted atmosphere, and it seems every other passageway is a temporary shrine or holy area. Walking in front of you, a dozen barefoot flagellants are beating themselves, chanting hymns to the God-Emperor.

Priests are giving wild sermons to their followers, who listen with fevered gaze, and even if they weren’t, the ship’s Cathedral relays their sermons here every six hours. Pausing for a moment, you note how different it is here. The pilgrims tower over you, and most shipboard people, and the vast majority of the lack any sort of implants whatsoever. It’s a disturbing thing.

quote:

The perfumed halls of the Alpha Deck are a dramatic and jarring change from the promethium and grease of Between. Flickering fluorescent lights maintain an unhealthy glow, making your eyes ache in comparison to the fungal growths that you had adapted to over the last week. Woodhouse was in no condition for meeting the Family, and you weren’t doing much better. You had sent him to the Tech-Priests to get maintenance on your machines started, but it would likely be a while before you could ride your servitor on the tracks once again.

Your quarters hadn’t changed much since you left them, more than half a lifetime ago. Woodhouse had maintained a floor mat to sleep on between the pressure locks, but other than that, it was nearly identical to your memories. A dozen tool kits and the weakest of Machine-Spirits lay displayed on one wall. Even as a child, your destiny had been set out for you, and it was fortunate you took pleasure in it. Many people were not so lucky.

The main reason for going here was for the sonic scrubbers. Your clothes and remaining flesh stank of organics and the materials that supplied them, and it would not do well to meet your Family in such a condition. While they were being cleansed, you took a brief time repair and maintain the sacred technology that composed most of your body. The thought of replacing them with synthetic meat had a certain loathsome horror to it, but it was necessary for the needs of the Inquisition. Few people outside the Machine-Cult had an appreciation for the True Flesh.

quote:

You are given some additional space on the platform as merits your rank, but even so it is a cramped, stifling, and tedious journey. Floor space extends from the tracks nearly a hundred meters, and the ceiling extends nearly the same in height. The Grateful Burden cuts through the bulk of the masses who live on the ship - an ad hoc city of nearly two hundred thousand souls make their homes and livelihood around it, existing in tenements that stand ten or more stories high. Travelling between them is a nightmare of makeshift paths, doorways, walls, and passageways, and Lord-Sire doesn’t even maintain Arbites for them. They manage their own pecking order, and sometimes blood runs in the streets.

The last stop, that of Alpha Deck, is a relief. Nearly no one stayed on that long, and the few who do are either thrill-seekers or people of wealth and taste. Wardens, the house-hold troops of your Family, send off the thrill seekers with a glance. They are fanatics, trained at birth for combat and loyalty, and favor extreme violence and cleaning fire. The Wardens only speak High Gothic, to increase their separateness from the rabble, and their grey cloaks are a symbol of terror in the main bays.

They examine you carefully, checking both your eyes and blood with technology of forgotten make. The other passengers are checked in a similar way, and all are allowed passaged through the pressure locked blast doors. Alpha Deck maintains its own atmosphere and recyclers, which is kept to a pleasing temperature and scent, far different from the processed air and constant smell of oil that fills the bulk of the ship.

and, of course :D

quote:

Limosa held the scented handkerchief to his face. Pushed it, really. The Deeps were an awful stench of diesel, cheap food, wild animals, and people - tens of thousands of people. Far different from his quarters above, with only a thousand Family, and the aristocrats who paid them court. Even the air was perfumed, there.

He didn’t know how people survived down here, to be completely honest. It could gag a goat.

At least the Dregs weren’t approaching him. Some of the Family allowed that, even encouraged it. Granting blessings and benedictions. That would be something Amacita would do, probably. He loathed the very idea, wore the blue cloak of his station as a shield and a warning. And the two or three dozen Greycloaks behind him enforced the point.

Equipped with flamethrowers and power swords and grim faces, they suited his mood - wanting purely to be left alone. The rune on his forehead had already started to flare as he called his power to him, telepathy sanctioned by the God-Emperor himself. With a casualness that would shock the mundane, he went digging through minds, memories and feelings.

Much of it was Dreg trash - worried about the gang wars, or the sports rivalry. Terrified of the Greycloaks in the midst, the Psyker who had descended from Heaven in judgement. To be a Dreg was to live in fear, and he give it as little thought as he gave them. None of them were considering violence, only flight, which was all he bothered with.

And… ah. The Maintenance Guild was a close knit family, perhaps with pretensions of being a Family. Extended cousins and in-laws and all the rest. They were already lining up to meet him, Eldars radiating concern loud enough for the mundanes to see. With a flex of his will, Limosa started digging, even as they slumped forward, fell to the ground. Senses overwhelmed, extremities twitching uncontrollably.

An expected side effect. They would be fine. Or not, but that really didn’t concern him.

Relationships, friends, family, conversations in hiding … a line of their ‘family’ had started breeding badly, mutations and horrors. Extra digits or limbs, extra eyes, internal organs, all the other horrors that could occur in voidborne that crawled through polluted maintenance ways. Any such deviation from the purity of the human form had to be punished, and quickly. Without mercy.

Limosa tore through their minds carelessly, looting any memories of the guilty, finding where the mutants were hidden. Gifted the images to the Grey Guards, and even had their brains flare with recognition when they saw a target. The Grey Guards moved out with military precision, flamethrowers already torching half the slums. Working their way into the Deepest of the Beast.

He took another breath from the handkerchief. Truly, this place smelled awful.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

paragon1 posted:

Wouldn't it just be whale oil considering the Earth whales that you need the term "space whale" to distinguish them from are all very very dead and likely have been for untold thousands of years?

The point of "where are the regular whales? they're all dead." is a good one. I would nix "space whales" as a whole, since people will either know you got it from 40k, or worse, speculate where you got it. I thought Futurama before you posted the link.

Instead of burning whale oil, could actually tie it into the lore of why they're called Dregs: Dregs burn "Dregs" for light, the oily byproduct of skimming the recycler tanks. Family uses actual electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

mepstein73 posted:

The point of "where are the regular whales? they're all dead." is a good one. I would nix "space whales" as a whole, since people will either know you got it from 40k, or worse, speculate where you got it. I thought Futurama before you posted the link.

Instead of burning whale oil, could actually tie it into the lore of why they're called Dregs: Dregs burn "Dregs" for light, the oily byproduct of skimming the recycler tanks. Family uses actual electricity.

-checks- ... you are correct!

quote:

The perfumed halls of the Alpha Deck are a dramatic and jarring change from the promethium and grease of Between. Flickering fluorescent lights maintain an unhealthy glow, making your eyes ache in comparison to the fungal growths that you had adapted to over the last week. Woodhouse was in no condition for meeting the Family, and you weren’t doing much better. You had sent him to the Tech-Priests to get maintenance on your machines started, but it would likely be a while before you could ride your servitor on the tracks once again.

So yeah. Flickering fluorescent lights, for a Trader Family :D