Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Loel posted:

;)

So far it looks like ... Ohone, alone, and Lokithena going to Terra. Yes/No? :D

NO LOKITHENA, either too valuable to risk or too dangerous to trust.

NOT ALONE. Bring.... any soldiers we have. Go in our RAD AS HELL Titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Well, separating Lokthena from the Olympus would be ... tricky :v: So she's coming along. And Fabiyan is in the medical bay of the Olympus.

Beyond that, you have some options.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Olympus is actually a giant Transformer and rather than debark onto Terra, Ohone simply uses it like a suit. :v:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

;)

So far it looks like ... Ohone, alone, and Lokithena going to Terra. Yes/No? :D

Yeah, we don't want to risk anyone uneccesarily, and fewer witnesses mean that our options for dealing with the Centurion are more open.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Start stripping Terra's orbital facilities of any and all salvageable/usable technology and resources (claiming them as spoils/suitable payment for services rendered) and use them as giant lifeboats for the trillions who will be fleeing and those who were coming to Terra on pilgrimage. :v:

We will use every part of the buffalo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
E, saving earth means... We just save a bunch of humans that in the galactic sense are replaceable. Losing Mars woukd be worse because the second they convert to worshipping Athena or whoever we've got a pimping forge world full of tech savvy technophiles. If that warp gate gets out of Co trolling there'll be another eye of terror which is super super bad.

With that in mind I propose we cauterize the wound in reality by pushing Terra into holy Sol.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Outrail posted:

E, saving earth means... We just save a bunch of humans that in the galactic sense are replaceable. Losing Mars woukd be worse because the second they convert to worshipping Athena or whoever we've got a pimping forge world full of tech savvy technophiles. If that warp gate gets out of Co trolling there'll be another eye of terror which is super super bad.

This assumes that there's no ulterior motives going on with mars clamming up and cutting ties to the imperium/outside world, though.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
I would vote to Bring the Iron Hands. I would also vote to Not bring Hera. LokiThena is fine to bring along, but I don't want to separate Hera from the Beast/Dragon since she IS the ship, which is currently meatified... and also is the only one who may be able to get us back into Hades's head. Don't bring Ching Shih, but maybe see what the Eldar/Elves are up to (last I saw of them was during the big space battle with Typhus) and if they're willing to lend us some faster-than-light aid in getting there without taking the Olympus? Also, if I remember correctly, certain parts of the Dragon were[ made through Elven bonesinging (which Ching Shih can do, right?). Thus, let's have Ching Shih work on separating out the meatbits using bonebits.

As for when we get to Terra, don't brainbox the Centurion, but do harvest as much Astronomicon tech as possible. Also, save as many civilians as the recyclers and space will allow for.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

mepstein73 posted:

I would vote to Bring the Iron Hands. I would also vote to Not bring Hera. LokiThena is fine to bring along, but I don't want to separate Hera from the Beast/Dragon since she IS the ship, which is currently meatified... and also is the only one who may be able to get us back into Hades's head. Don't bring Ching Shih, but maybe see what the Eldar/Elves are up to (last I saw of them was during the big space battle with Typhus) and if they're willing to lend us some faster-than-light aid in getting there without taking the Olympus? Also, if I remember correctly, certain parts of the Dragon were[ made through Elven bonesinging (which Ching Shih can do, right?). Thus, let's have Ching Shih work on separating out the meatbits using bonebits.

As for when we get to Terra, don't brainbox the Centurion, but do harvest as much Astronomicon tech as possible. Also, save as many civilians as the recyclers and space will allow for.

Elves are currently help evacuate Terra (focusing on museums and persons of interest) for their own inscrutable reasons.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Loel posted:

Elves are currently help evacuate Terra (focusing on museums and persons of interest) for their own inscrutable reasons.

Alright. Thoughts on the bonesinging cleansing of the ship, by the way? I suggest it for 2 reasons: first, bone marrow is the source of a creature's immune system... and second, I really want to see you write this ritual scene.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Loel posted:

Limosa is the top of the list. Ching Shih, Lokthena, Hera. Technomancers Theta, Lux, Tibus, and Jo3. The Little Sire. Julian, Ripley. Katarina, Wolfgang. Young Henderson. Jeb. Colonel Astri. The Iron Hands. The Tribes.

Might be a few others. Anamaria is with Fabiyan, Edourd is sedated. Pretty sure Knoxie and Adelaide are on their way to Ultramar.

I skimmed some posts getting caught up, more so about non-OP contributions, but I think Travis and Adelaide are the ones on a most excellent adventure. Dunno where Knoxie is.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Checking my notes, the most recent thing I have him doing was doing recon in sad!thena's head.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Now use him to sift through the dimming embers of humanity's once-bright future. :unsmigghh:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

poor life choice posted:

Now use him to sift through the dimming embers of humanity's once-bright future. :unsmigghh:

Humanity's future hasn't been bright for fifteen thousand years. You want a beacon for the future? Light it yourself.

Also where's that from?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Humanity's future hasn't been bright for fifteen thousand years. You want a beacon for the future? Light it yourself.

Also where's that from?

Alan Moore's Neonomicon. Iiiiit's a weird one!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

poor life choice posted:

Alan Moore's Neonomicon. Iiiiit's a weird one!

By weird, I hope you mean 'stupid and bad,' because it is.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

VanSandman posted:

By weird, I hope you mean 'stupid and bad,' because it is.

I feel like it would have been a lot better if he had just pitched the idea/twist of the comic, said "man, wouldn't that be cool" and then just didn't make it.

That image just came to mind when I imagined what Knoxie sifting through futures looks like now, is all. The familiar overwhelming presence of the Astromasasdkjdf is gone, you just have to jump in the water without a lighthouse to help bring you home. Things get weird.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
So before we rush off to Terra, it might be nice to consult Athena and see if we can actually do anything to stem the daemon tide. Maybe plant stasis generators like the ones that protected the Olympus at Golgotha? The dark mechanicus were unable to breach the field no matter what demonic help they had there, so maybe it should work here, too?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Bumping Terra into the sun would also accomplish this.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
:weed: It's the only way to be sure

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Outrail posted:

Bumping Terra into the sun would also accomplish this.

There isn't enough power in any ship anywhere to de-orbit a planet. Moving that much mass is loving hard.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Solar flares or black hole inductors are an option though! :D

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Loel posted:

Solar flares or black hole inductors are an option though! :D

When I say burn Terra to a crisp using DAoT I mean use ALL of the DAoT.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

VanSandman posted:

There isn't enough power in any ship anywhere to de-orbit a planet. Moving that much mass is loving hard.

I see your logic and raise you Ancient Techmomagic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For a second I thought you were encouraging people to give not!Dorn nopon drugs.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Outrail posted:

I see your logic and raise you Ancient Techmomagic.

I'm willing to accept Daemons but not ignoring the Tyranny of delta-V-multiplied-by-mass.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

VanSandman posted:

I'm willing to accept Daemons but not ignoring the Tyranny of delta-V-multiplied-by-mass.

There's a giant gaping hole in the not!warp right now so it's honestly a free for all. Just apply graviton weapons directly to the warp head and into the sun it goes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Man you guys really want to fuckin nuke Earth. I guess it might be kinder than the mass plague that's about to hit without thousands of ships bringing in food I guess???

We have super bullshittium impenetrable stasis fields, we don't have to black hole the homeworld of humanity!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
But we can, and that's good enough for me.

Is it not said: You must smash the cradle before you can become a man (or woman, or human-machine hybrid).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
While I admire your enthusiasm for knocking planets into suns like potting a billiard ball, is the hole into Acheron tethered to Terra, or to a point in space-time? Because knocking the planet out of the way might just leave a hole in reality in solar orbit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Would it be in orbit around the sun?or just in the same area?

Let's find out.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I'm Imperator Ohone, and this 9-Ball-Terrapocolypse *ancient hymn of the malfeasant fool plays*

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Mercury, Venus, Phobos, Deimos and Pluto are all gone, Mars is in a big silver sphere, and Titan is a super fortress that can fly through Acheron. What would you want to do with the gas giants?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
What do you think is going to fuel the immolation of Terra?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Loel posted:

Mercury, Venus, Phobos, Deimos and Pluto are all gone, Mars is in a big silver sphere, and Titan is a super fortress that can fly through Acheron. What would you want to do with the gas giants?

Surely that atmosphere is useful for something. And they should have solid cores down there somewhere, or at least liquid, so those can be mined/drained as well. Waste not, want not.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arc 6
Fabiyan

Ohone entered the room shortly afterwards, sat next to him. Limosa faded into the background.
“How you feeling?”
“... better, I guess. Anamaria is good at her job.” She kissed his forehead. “Of course she is, you trained her.” She smiled. “I want to go back to Terra.”
“Aren’t we … headed there already?”
“Yes, but I want to go faster. Athena.” Her voice echoed oddly, as if she was speaking to someone just outside. A moment later, Athena walked in as if she had always been there. “Yes, my dear?”
“How fast can we get to Terra?”
“If I strapped some more engines to the Beast?”
“No, just the Olympus.”
“Oh. Essentially instantly.”
Limosa’s face became concerned. “Ohone, we can’t all leave the Beast. Someone needs to run things.”
“You just volunteered. Congratulations, you made it.”
He frowned. “Very good. I’ll continue on our current speed and direction then.”
“And see if you can clean up some of the ship, it’s full of Acheron juice.”
He paused, nodded. Bowed to each of them before he left. Fabiyan could feel his concern.
“Is this a good idea?”
“A necessary one. We need to rescue someone.”
Fabiyan blinked. “What’s happening on Terra? We defeated the incursion.”
“Ah, it was just their cunning plan. There’s a direct gate to Acheron now. Under the Imperial Palace.”
Fabiyan felt his face go slack. “What.”
“Yup. The elves are evacuating people, but I have one in mind we need to rescue.”
“Who?” He stared at her. “Who could be valuable enough to go back into Acheron?” He gestured towards his wings. “My Faith is not what it was.”
“It’ll be fine, we have Athena.”
She spoke dryly. “I seem to remember a certain Rot that put me down not a few days ago.”
“And we aren’t facing a Herald. We go in fast, rescue him, leave.”
He blinked. “We’re going back for your predecessor?”
“Hm? Oh, no. Although, we should grab him too. No, we are grabbing the Centurion.”
He paused. “Who … is bound to be at the center of it.”
“Almost certainly.”
“Ohone, I don’t mean to criticize…”
“But you’ll do it anyway.” She teased.
He ignored that. “Centurion is … doing his job. Holding the gate, so others can escape. If I wanted someone to be the last guard, he epitomizes the ideal.”
“All the more reason to get him out of there. Him dying there saves what, a few billion people? Him living means we have an Eidolon on our side to rebuilt. Saving many more.”
“... while I can’t fault your logic, you seem remarkably … blase … about losing the homeworld.”
“We’ll build another. Or use Mars.” She met his eyes. “Humanity has many planets, and a nearly infinite number of people. We can’t spend our best piece just to save one planet. Even if it is the first one.”
Fabiyan looked at her thoughtfully, then switched to Athena. Perhaps a certain coldness in his words - Ohone didn’t appear to notice, although Athena had a faint smile. “Athena.”
“Yes, General?”
“Can you close a gate to Acheron?”
She gestured. “For a little while, maybe. I have … tremendous … control over the rules here, but Acheron’s bleedthrough means the rules change locally. Given time, anything I set up simply won’t work in the new conditions.”
“Mm. So if we were to rescue Centurion - and I remain unconvinced that he will want to leave, or that we can persuade or kidnap him - we need a stopgap. A stasis wall around the breach.”
Athena nodded. “I can do that.”
“And … I want to bring the Iron Hands.”
Ohone pursed her lips, nodded. “I can ask them.” She smiled playfully. “Anything else?”
“If you are determined in this - your Titan, any other DAoT tech Athena feels like sharing. No one who is baseline human.” He met Ohone’s eyes unflinchingly. “We’ve done this before. You went insane and cast across the galaxy, I was trapped there for untold years. I am not as capable as I was. This is far more risky.” Fabiyan paused to emphasize the point. “We are attempting the worst of two strategies - trying to hold a position, and also trying to retreat from and destroy it. I am unsure any asset, even an Eidolon, is going to be worth it.”
She looked at him for a time, nodded. “It is. And he likes you.”
“What?”
“Mm. I promised him your hat. And you wouldn’t to break a promise to an Eidolon, would you?” Her smile was all innocence.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arc 6
Ching Shih
Observation Deck

She couldn’t see the Olympus leave, after it detached - it was gone in a moment, ignoring everything everyone knew about physics or FTL. There were no solar sails, no spinning drives, no gateways to Acheron - just here one moment, gone the next. And, presumably, skipping months of travel in seconds. She sighed briefly. The thought of it made her wonder about the first time Humanity had found Acheron, leapt across the galaxy. Skipping all that time lost …. It made her melancholy.

She blinked in startlement as Limosa appeared next to her. “How long have you been there?”
“Few minutes. Wanted to see our dear leader go.”
“Any idea when she’ll be back?” Ohone’s habit of vanishing for years was well known.
“Hopefully, a couple days. But you know her.”
“Yeah.”
“Drink?” He offered her a flask. She took it cautiously.
“What is it?”
“Elfwine. Born in the orbits of Al Farawis, some fifteen centuries ago.” Ching Shih held it back in astonishment. “drat, Limosa. You drink this all the time?”
“This particular vintage? Mm, no. Expensive, even for my tastes. Special occasions only.”
She gestured the flask at the void outside. “Special occasion?”
His eyes seemed to sparkle. “We are going to do something extraordinarily stupid.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arc 6
Limosa
Alpha Deck

Elven voices - or, as well as human tongues could manage them - echoed quietly through the corridors. Neither Limosa or Ching Shih often got the chance to speak Elven anymore, and it also gave an added level of security. The people who spoke the langue of the alien were very few and far between.

Ching Shih looked about her curiously. “I don’t think I’ve seen this area before.”
“Mm. It’s very quiet. Only the Lord-Sire, as a rule, knows about it.”
“Then why do you?” She raised her eyebrow at him.
“I was almost Lord-Sire, as well you know. It’s useful to collect bits of information.”
“So that passcode you used…”
“Was given to me, yes. In case Di Musio died suddenly, I was to be fully prepared.”
“Does Ohone know you know?”
“She’s never said anything about it.” He chuckled. “She probably will when she gets back though.”
“Any guards up here?”
“She took them with her.”
Ching Shih narrowed her eyes. “My dear cousin, I think she might be laying a trap for you.”
He gestured. “Or seeing how I perform in her absence. Inquisitors are all twisty like that.”
“Or both.”
“Or both, right.” He approached the final door, entered the security codes meticulously. The door opened silently, the room inside having a feel of … pressure, of rot.
“I’m rather surprised you are showing me these secrets.”
“Well, you technically are a Lord-Sire, or will be. So you should know them.”
“Sure, but I’m surprised you are showing them to me.”
Limosa smiled humorlessly. “In the event of my death, of Ohone and Fabiyan, someone needs to rule.”
“Cousin, are you making me your heir?”
“More of a … back-up plan. For the Family.”
“I see. So, what is this place?”
Voices rose up from the walls, barely sane. Overlapping, demanding attention.

“This, my dear, is called the Attic.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arc 6
Ohone

You blinked in surprise as Terra appeared in the viewscreen. “Athena, have you been working out?”
She chuckled. “I’m relying on the FTL engines, I’m afraid. Teleporting each part individually would take years.”
“What’s the difference?”
“Range, mostly. I can move person sized objects across the galaxy essentially instantaneously, the Olympus does a series of jumps for an entire ship.”
“How long would it take for the Olympus to cross the galaxy?”
She shrugged. “Couple seconds, maybe a minute?”
“That sounds remarkably close to what you do.” You teased.
“From the human perspective, definitely. From the Mind, there are … a bunch of tricks that might go on.”
“Yeah?”
“Yup. Only comes up when Minds are fighting though.”
“Okay.” You looked downwards at the homeworld. “So, what’s going on out there?”
She listened for a moment. “The Palace hasn’t been breached yet - your Centurion is holding. Emergency alerts though, all troops to to the Palace. Higher level broadcasts, people of importance to evacuate immediately.”
You nodded. “Can’t let the dregs be clogging up the evac routes.”
“Yup. And the Elves are collecting … random people, from what I can see.”
“Some relevance to future tracks, probably.”
“Probably. They are also securing various art objects. The curators either fled or were killed.”
“Fair enough. Can you drop us on the Palace?”
“Do you want to be airdropped outside, or teleported somewhere in the interior?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

:catstare:

Limosa, what the fresh hell are you doing?

I gently caress off all evening and sleep in, and we go charging into Terra with no backup whatsoever. This cannot possibly end well.

Ohone and Fabyian remain adorable tho.

Edit: get DiMusio first then head inside

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 19, 2016