Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Bring husbando, your mom, Eduard, Limosa, Caroline, the leader of the Iron Hands and the dwarf in on the Athena/what's at stake talk. After that inner circle meeting we bring in whatever other relevant bits of the beast leadership to get this thing up and running and back to Titan/Mars ASAP.

Keep the chimera creature files long enough to glean anything we could use for non-heretical purposes, then purge. Maybe his Rak'gol with mechanicus implants data will give us insight into making our super skitariiegers. This magos was really good at what it did and we could use this for making our humans better humans, without dipping into heresy. Probably.

Purge the Yu'vath and Rak'gul tech. That stuff does not play well with humanity.

Keep the Stryxis tech.

read the obliterator notes (know thy enemy) then purge.

Talk to the Iron Hand about the apparently perfectly benign spine. Can we use our techsorcist abilities and lore checks to figure it out? I feel like we should run it by the Iron Hands before we junk it. I Want To Know More.

Keep the contact info so we know where to call down the nukes. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Yeah when I'm voting for telling them about Athena I don't mean in an introducing your new girlfriend to the family sense, but more telling these guys that there is a thing that could wipe out the Imperium if it falls into the hands of Chaos. And that Chaos knows where it is.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Tran posted:

In the immediate, we should open up that powered human vessel the orks were banging on.

Major renovations can and should wait until we reach Mars.

This, plus try to figure out the radius/impact of our untested weapons. The null rod and/or high marshal artifact, etc. Can we use the Gargant Slayer with a mechadendrite while in power armor? If so, we should carry it. I want to understand what weapons are available to us and when they're most impactful.

I'm also serious about checking with the Iron Hands about that spine and using our huge brain on the Magos's library of data to see what we can glean. Make our Kreigers supermen or something, the Magos-level biologis data isn't going to be 100% heresy. Or some can be applied in a non-heretical fashion.

e: okay I re-read your post and realize you're looking at the immediate term. I'd prioritize the data and Iron Hand convo over the weapons testing.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

What do you do?

re: happy goodtimes a-ok not-evil spine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuB2yIrRNT4&t=12s

re: the human ship
Open it. Have some Krieger (is the plural Kriegers?) and Drusians with you.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Yeah, 20 profit factor is like, a "poor" rogue trader's fortune, right? That is a staggering sum. Far less would be sufficient. We need money for the upcoming arc, don't we? I'd rather weaponize the hulk than waste money on that livable nonsense.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Ask him about the spine.

His own. :getin:

Nah JK uhhh ask him if there are any secrets or tips that he didn't get to impart before faking his death. We are going to war. He is a brutal soldier. What does the Beast have for us to bring to bear?

Ask about the spine.

Ask how long he has to live. He's on a respirator, right?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Tomn this motherfucker

I don't know what this means. :ohdear:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Well after my big 3 questions I was thinking we bow out and wish him a happy retirement.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Install the plot-tek spine. We could look into removing it after getting the choicest info. And please, kill Devries.

Ask Devries about how old he is/what our predecessor was talking about with age and work together before killing him. But then do it. No gloating, or torture. We have galaxy-shattering poo poo to deal with, and these are the last questions I want to ask him.

Can we and Caroline do research and lore checks to theorize who could have given Dispensation for the spine? Both how high up in the church something like that would have to come from for Space Marines to accept it, or how powerful a force could mind-wipe them into thinking it's a-ok, etc. I would love to know who/what authorized the use of a heretical device that captures each Lord-Sire's memories. Could they be watching our moves while it's plugged in? Access our pre-spine memories?Shaking my magic 8 ball, Anastatia De Vocht is old and evil enough to be involved with that!

I know there's probably no way of knowing any of that, but I want to try. You installed this paranoia in me, Lowell! As surely as if you did it with your own mechadendrites.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I actually really like the idea of throwing our huge brains at hacking/interfacing with the spine remotely. changing my vote from installing spine to trying to accessing it remotely.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Non-comedy vote for as much insanity reduction as possible. The other stuff sounds appealing but we are shockingly nutso.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
When you hit 100 corruption you go full-tilt evil and work to become a daemon prince. What about 100 insanity? We're sitting at 49/100 now and I can't help but think situations like dying due to getting emotionally overwhelmed by "betraying" Athena could be eliminated by being less crazy.

Orrrr, it opens us up to safely accruing move insanity points! :downs:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Three apparent votes for Insanity -43. Come on, let's make Ohone kinda sane! It actually kinda makes sense for the point of the plot where we are!

I am excited at the prospect of approaching this galaxy-changing task with clear eyes and a full heart. You can't lose!

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Magos

I'll vote on abilities later today.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Waci posted:

Attempt to connect the spine to a brain box type of things to access the information without plugging it into ourself, even if doing so requires sacrificing some of the information in it.

Keep Devries for now, but take appropriate precautions keeping his inevitable escape plan in mind.

Xenos chimeras - Keep. Share with Ordo Xenos in case of parallel research by others. Study in case of future encounters, but do not attempt to recreate.
Human Shadow On the Warp , Transgenic blasphemies , Homoculites, Human/Ork/Rakgol/Damork/Genestealer/Psider chimera (tag: dangerous) - Keep. Study with care. Do not attempt to recreate, but since they involve the human form, some of the data may have less heretical applications.
Stryxis, Yu'vath, Rak'gol technology - Store securely, study slowly with extreme caution from a countermeasures perspective.
Research notes: Obliterator - Quarantine as strongly as we can, including from ourself for now. This is dangerous, but also priceless.
Red Schola, Footfall - Keep but mostly ignore? It's an open secret that these people deal with chaos. Notes are worth potential blackmail material at best, contacts useless to us.
Samech the Hellforge - Keep, share information with appropriate people on Mars. These guys are a bigtime enemy of the Adeptus Mechanicus.
Empyric Engineers, Calixis - Keep information, share with Ordo Hereticus.
Logicians, Calixis - Keep information, share with Ordo Hereticus. The logicians are a major cult under active investigation by multiple inquisitors. Don't waste leads.

This is A Good Post and I am voting for it.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Do we actually need a tow? Are we going to be Warp-ready soon?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I'm inclined to think that this is an ally of the dead Magos, or at least someone they signaled. Seconding scan it with every kind of lore roll, tech, psyker shenanigans we can.

Get Husbando and Limosa's input from a military and navigator(?) perspective.

If we end up still suspicious about who they are, let's see if we have any old-Magos codes or signals that we could use to communicate, see if they bite.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm seriously confused by Ohone at this point. If a guru is going to audit the character sheet can we get a breakdown and comparison of skills and stuff? Like I know 70STR is pretty drat high, but what to compare it to? We have a lot of really oddball skills and stuff too.

Yeah I was thinking about that. When it comes to character advancement and XP expenditure we have left things behind in favor of abilities or personal equipment. The laser rapier doesn't get a lot of use, and similarly Megabyte seems kind of underwhelming (and a puppy!). Can we improve the latter to Mattias-level?

:aaaaa: Can we incorporate the rapier into Megabyte AND otherwise turn Megabyte into a total goddamn murdermachine?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Tomn posted:

This is why I hate Tzeentch the most. The others are relatively straightforward, as Chaos Gods go.

That, and the fact that Tzeentch gets off on hope, among other things. You can't even try to improve conditions without making him stronger! He's basically the ultimate "No, gently caress YOU" Chaos God.

e: speaking of, I wonder if the pillar of Suln is changing rather than just cloaking Amacita and that's why it didn't match records. Changing her into what? :unsmigghh:

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 30, 2015

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Calling something a halo device or halo artifact or w/e is basically just throwing our hands up about [ancient, powerful device of unknown origin found on the out edge (halo) of the galaxy] right?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

Halo device

JT Jag posted:

halo device

Oh. I thought it was an intentionally vague thing - "we don't know where these come from, how they work, or who made them, but this artifact gives you very useful powers and strengths before [aforementioned corruption effects]". I didn't think there was a mechanic for it and the lore was left fuzzy enough that the Pillaring of Sulnron could be a halo device. That the devices aren't implanted, but rather eventually becomes part of the user's body.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

quote:

The thing that was once human is now so strong it can rip a man's head from his shoulders with casual ease, survive the touch of the void, and even return from death.

We've done that, they can't be that tough/marriage is a halo device.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I vote to not be wacky, and instead be mildly exasperated and encourage it to get it over with.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Somewhere on the planet we'll hit a Telltale Games moment where we have the option to choke the life out of any one of our female retinue members, only to later discover it was our Darkness-era ancestor that made the emergency call rather than anyone else. Oh well!

I'm still in favor of having a meeting with all the important folk to discuss being an Inquisitor/finding pristine, impossibly ancient tech buried beneath Golgotha/Chaos knowing about it. If we have a brief bullet points version of that with the husband solo, first, fine. Assemble the team for debrief.

*nuclear bomb detonates*

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Child of Mars, child of Hera. That title comes to mind since our future message had the Eldar Instagram filter. I wonder which, if any of those titles refers to bio-mom? I mean my first thought was Mars = Mechanicus, Hera = the Eldar/Lowell playing it loose with mythology to refer to Athena.

But what if Mars is the Mechanicus or Athena or whatever, and bio-mom is that figure that always made trouble for Zeus/Olympus/the Imperium whatever. A figure that (I think?) hated her husband's kids and would try to kill them, always sabotaging and undermining her spouse's poo poo. A person that at the surface level was allied with the entities she was associated with, but defied them at every turn.

All that is to say I think I'm inclined to blindly side with the Imperium and the steadfastiest chapter of space marines on this one because in general that's what keeps you from falling to Chaos. Athena is heresy enough. If our Ultrabros pull their masks off and our mind breaks, I'll feel better about THAT transition to the evil campaign vs. mom's shadow organization/heretical approach taking us there willingly.

If it helps with voting, know that no matter what Tzeentch is going to be smug as gently caress if we fall. Scene: we crumple, defeated, before Tzeentch's ever shifting throne. The Changer of Ways raises its bulk on impossible limbs and chortles: "lol knew u would do that" :smugdog:

e: so I vote to be as skeptical as everyone else in the room. Unless she totally pulls the curtain back and convinces us we have to return those sanity points I just voted for and let Fabiyan relive his commissar days on yr mom.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 3, 2015

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

ElrondHubbard posted:

To be fair, if the Smurfs served Tzeentch then all of the contradictory, bizarre, and needlessly roundabout maneuvering is pretty much expected. The fact that it has yet to accomplish anything in millennia, mostly being convoluted nonsense for the sake of convoluted nonsense, is a testament to their devotion.

Tzeentch owns

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

falcon2424 posted:

Ask first. Then consider killing

This seems like a weirdly stupid way to trick us into a conspiracy. Like, if you're making something up, why lead with this?

Because we'd consider that. :unsmigghh:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

ElrondHubbard posted:

Because the Eldar are dumb and needlessly vague.

Because a Tzeentch demon fed us the same line.

They are gambling on us thinking the Tzeentch demon was telling the truth in order to taint and cast doubt upon their supposedly noble crusade in a bluff maneuver, making us susceptible to persuasion. But in reality it is a double bluff, except its Tzeentch so the demon is purposefully outing it's followers for the just as planned cred. Except, since its Tzeentch, there were millions of bluffs, double bluffs, counterstrokes, sacrifices of billions of lives, false sacrifices, and a million other things happening over millennia with this moment in mind.All of it so he can flip the table at us and yell JUST AS PLANNED. Except he won't do that since that's what he did when we walked into a nuke. Doing that again would be passe and its time for a change. He'll flip a demon world while wearing a monocle and yelling AS EXPECTED!

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I still don't see anything about the Darkness (as related to our dynasty), the Beast, or even how she's been working to uncover this conspiracy save for the video she just showed us. So far all she's presented is a deeply heretical take on the Ultramarines. Where does anything related to us come in?

If she's now sitting and waiting for us to make a decision and what she's said so far is the extent of what she has to give us... eesh. How can she expect anything but incredulity at the theory and outrage that she usurped our meeting? If this is all she has to say right now, put her in major lockdown until we get to talk to her cryotube 9/11 truthers. I really don't want to box her (part insanity points about effective matricide, part not wanting to have to build her a body if we keep her in a spymaster capacity) but I really don't want her walking around either. There's not nearly enough here to warrant anything but punishment and we're in front of loyal servants of the dynasty and Imperium, half of which are ready to kill her. Gotta put her in chains.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

mepstein73 posted:

So, uh... We've had this little bit of foreshadowing for a while now (since the end of Arc 1). Just sayin'. e: BTW, we're going to Agatha's World now.

Shiiiiiit

mepstein73 posted:

Also, if we make the call, we're protecting Athena at the cost of many worlds. What's to stop us using Athena to reclaim those worlds after they fall?

And for this conspiracy our mom alerted us too, Ohone's not blind or stupid; she'd at least follow up on some of the stuff, and keep an eye out for UltraMar meddling in the future. I don't think we should box our mother yet. That seems inhumane, and shortsighted. I do not want to be the rash, just-blown-up Ohone anymore-- we've moved past that part of grief and anger, at least a bit, I feel.

I already said this earlier so I don't want to double-vote (if that even is a vote we're taking) but I also don't want to kill this character whose story was just introduced. I mean, we are entering into "sacrifice worlds to save an all-powerful artifact from before the Emperor was the Emperor" territory, why can't there be some truth to her Ultramarine stuff? Weird things are happening and we're at the core of it.

I don't want to discard a huge plot line just yet. We're in the interlude between arcs - maybe this grows in credibility over time. It would suck for the spymaster connected to all this to be dead or incapacitated.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Anticheese posted:

An outsize Hawaiian shirt draped over the armour of the Lord-Sire.

dog kisser posted:

'alright guys keep a low profile'

*steps off landing craft onto wooden dock, falls straight through, landing in water up to her waist - pauses for a second, then walks towards the shore, tearing through wooden planks with every step, daring anyone to say anything*

'... nailed it'

Hahahahaha. I imagine power armored Ohone stomping around like an ED-209 so this is perfect.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

sniper4625 posted:

-Some unknown scientist, shortly before the Iron Men Wars

With all the time fuckery it was probably Ohone.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
That was a cool post. I am: in favor of throwing lots of warships and machines at each other in close proximity to Athena. Momma needs parts.

Did Limosa die sending that message?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

No, but everyone else did, and he's severely trauamtized. You'll need a new choir before you can leave.

Is that a mandatory thing? Is a warp ship without a choir like a car without a steering wheel, or just like not packing roadside flares in your emergency kit?

e: I was thinking they were just for communication but WHOOPS if those were our pilots.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

ElrondHubbard posted:

It would be nice to see how the Pillar of Suln affects her, given that it's supposed to be a weapon to defeat her. We should make nabbing Amacita a priority if for no other reason than securing that thing.

When did we learn that?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Knoxie is a Greycloak that miraculously managed to not only NOT die defending the bridge during the Magos’s failed coup, but saved a Family member whose importance was elevated significantly by the sudden bodycount while doing it. Was brought into the Family shortly after the bodies were recycled.

Already extremely loyal to the Family, Knoxie threw himself into the worship of Living Saint Fabiyan with a legitimate zeal... he figures it'll either take the Family's connections or the Emperor's own intercession as these flashes of insight and sudden warning whispers continue to pop up. Knoxie's low grade(?) latent psyker abilities – some kind of precog/plot armor/luck bullshit that helps him be in the right place at the right time, combat or other-wise – surfaced during the fighting on the bridge, saving himself in a series of unlikely combat maneuvers before he suddenly collapsed due to the human shadow on the warp… on top of the aforementioned Family member that later had him married in.

A good soldier that doesn't know how to do a great deal else, he has earnestly served the Family for a lifetime before suddenly finding himself on the inside looking out. He’s still driven by that hypno-conditioned love of the Family that’s taken him in, AND the sincere belief that he needs to make himself very useful very fast before what are apparently psyker abilities come to light. God-Emperor help him.

Name: Jonn "Knoxie" Knox

Description: Athletic, "large" for a void born which is still under average height. Long ropy limbs, muscular but compact. Not handsome.

Personality: Earnest and friendly personality that he unblinkingly buries when it’s time to commit ultraviolence for the Family or in combat. Reasonably “good” person that suddenly has to deal with the high likelihood that he’ll end up on the Black Ships unless he’s very useful to the Lord-Sire, or cured by Living Saint Fabiyan, or both, or …?

Skill set:
  • Excellent shootyman with experience leading Greycloaks into combat.
  • Disarming personality coupled with not being a Kreiger/church-member/tech-priest could be useful on or off the Beast when something needs to get done without a lot of fanfare or overt clout.
  • Low likelihood of ever being an actual threat to the throne… right?
  • Low-level psyker abilities related to precognition/luck/some bullshit that lands him right-side up in combat and sometimes helps him find that right place at the right time. Probably not yet known by others.

Why did Ohone choose you:
  • The non-[huge power structure on the ship] background gives him that “outsider” perspective she seems to find appealing in her paranoid hierarchical approach to things lately (like Astin De Merode)
  • Being a new addition to the Family with a lifetime of Greycloak loyalty conditioning means he’s probably can’t/won’t make a power play due to lack of personal ability and resources
  • bae caught me slippin Found him fervently praying to Fabiyan in a Family-only shrine in a serendipitous moment that made all the above click that had absolutely NOTHING to do with bullshit luck-related latent psyker abilities.

bio | discovery | black ship 1 | black ship 2 | to terra | SANCTIONING | training 1 | training 2 | training 3 | limosa | eduard | coward

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 1, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
For you, the day Oxenforth graced your thread was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
later: http://youtu.be/zMRh5JPGuqo only with the blank talking to a squad of silent, immobile dudes in NBC armor.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
We should be in his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
But for me it was Tuesday. Don't calendar-shame.

LowellDND posted:

SoL edited above.

:perfect:

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 9, 2015