Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

From what I can tell, we have several potential objectives at the moment.

1. Buying votes
I think this is a terrible idea because every inquisitor we meet will be looking to exploit us, manipulate us, and backstab us. We don't really have anything to offer other than access to the Beast, which Lord Sire wouldn't be too crazy about. We could potentially convince them that denying Siadwell access to a Rogue Trader's vast stores of information and artifacts would be in everyone's interests.

2. Booby Trapped Room
Aside from an Istvaan looking to start conflicts, no one ever said the grenade was intended for us. It could just as easily be us getting framed for something, said Inquisitor Lord trying to play everything off as a much smaller fish trying to knock us off, Jazmine having a good laugh at our expense, or the Occularians could have foreseen all of this and calculated a hand grenade booby-trap in our room was just what the Imperium needed. Welcome to the =][=nquisition, I suppose. The point being, we can't really leave it as a loose thread on the off chance we get blamed for it. Sending a skull with the right equipment to either disarm or trigger the grenade would be a good move. Maybe inform our dwarf friend that he should be careful and keep his eyes out.

3. Convincing a bunch of inquisitors we're innocent / convicting Siadwell of treason
To an inquisitor, everyone is guilty of something, so playing the innocence card is pretty weak. I think we should be looking for ways to investigate the heretical tendencies and exploits of a certain Xanthist, who is already hated enough by puritans that they're using him as a boogeyman, and our deceased xeno-loving cousin (those pictures of him with the eldar should be enough to make most monodominants sick or apoplectic with rage).

4. Delay Siadwell's project on the Beast
The prophecy we got was not specific about how long things would take, so if we find some way to slow things down for him (through disorganized documentation, an inundation of useless stuff, false leads on a staff, spreading the fighting towards where he is working / essential subsystems for his project), we buy ourselves some time. The trouble is how to get the message out / slow things down from where we are.

5. Athena
-We maybe want to give her the macguffin we picked up. Should probably wait for more order so we can work out what to do.

B / D / E : Find out why we might be on the poo poo-list of a powerful puritan faction. Find out what these two harpies want out of the trial and how they claim to view Siadwell. Figure out what might make them turn on him (their view on human-xeno relations: Istvaan might not care for being friendly with eldar, etc... / what they draw the line on as going too far for a Xanthist) Send a skull to deal with the booby trap. Consider finding a way to communicate with the Beast, get some more plots rolling, and say hi to husbando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Edourd reached out, placed a datachip into a machine. “We think it has to do with this.”
Black and white, a poor quality recording. You recognized a cargo bay of your ship - dozens of crates being filled and loaded with the Family files. Records, documents, books going back millenia. A few scribes were there, and Inquisitorial Guards watching them.

Edourd spoke carefully. “Whats important is that Siadwell is going through all your Family’s files. The longer the trial goes on, the more likely it is he’ll find whatever he’s looking for.”

LowellDND posted:

And above it all, the Inquisitor, Siadwell, only half paying attention. His focus was on the trial and looting as much of the books as he could, and an army of adepts and servo-skulls looked frantically through the papers for … something. Inquisitorial Stormtroopers went through Between on unexplained missions of their own, and not all of them came back. The Beast protected her secrets.

Right now Siadwell's our strongest lead as far as who's causing the time limit. He's been eyeing the Beast for ages and even recruited Limosa because of his Space Elf obsession and position as heir. Like Lord-Sire mentioned, there was that staff that disappeared around the time of "the darkness" that Inquisitors have been after for reasons. When Limosa died, Siadwell lost his chance at taking over the Beast and going through the records, so he improvised and first tried to recruit us (which would have allowed him the same authority and put things back on track) then tried to have us convicted (giving him time to rifle through the records and investigate with impunity). The time limit is probably Siadwell finding a reason for the Inquisition to take possession of the Beast and strip it of its warrant of trade (perhaps involving the darkness). This would leave our favorite tech-priest without a ship even if she was found innocent of killing Limosa.

It could easily be a misdirection or something completely different, but we don't have much to go on as far as that goes.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Faking our own death is kind of difficult with 100 of the most skeptical and paranoid people in the Imperium waltzing around. It's likely that we're being monitored at all times by at least somebody and any corpse we supply would have to be a genetic + implant match to us.

Green Intern posted:

I feel like if Gant wanted Ohone dead, it would have happened already. Also I find it pretty implausible that he's simply go "yeah it was me" when confronted with an accusation without proof.

Talking to Lord Anatolli Maruseva (the latest person being accused of trying to kill us) might not be a bad idea as he would make for a powerful ally. Siadwell is a natural enemy of his (with his dabbling in the forbidden) and Kozilek seems to have leanings towards his faction. We can use Jazmine's accusation as an ice breaker and a way of introducing the fact that there have been 1-2 attempts on our life here at the conclave. He'd probably take a keen interest in that. Talking to Gant might be a good idea as well. I'm skeptical that we can every really ally with Jazmine since she seems to thrive of betraying expectations, or just betraying in general.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 26, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Glad to hear you're feeling at least a little better. Sometimes there's a lag between treatment and some symptoms resolving, so hopefully the low energy improves as well.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

my dad posted:

If she really converts a planet into an attack force, she's pretty much a mechanical tyranid.

So what you're saying is that we need to get in on the ground floor now so we don't miss out on having our own Mecha T-Rex army, right?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Listen. From what I can tell, we have several goals.

1. Getting Athena's phone number
We appear to have a one way relationship with our current phone plan and she's being stingy with minutes. If we're going to make this thing happen, we need to be able to get in touch so we can set up our next date, have pointless conversations, and maybe even ask for clarification on vague requests.

2. Getting Athena a present to show her we care
We've made some progress on this already, but we haven't even started considering how we're going to wrap it or what kind of card we're going to attach. We should at least look up where the nearest space CVS is located.

3. Showing Athena we're a financially responsible and desirable individual.
We're kind of in a bad place in our lives at the moment, but if we play our cards right, we might walk out of this with a rogue trader ship, an inquisitor's rosette, and a lotta people we can throw under the bus later.

4. Teach Athena to love
This may require updating her firmware and may be a little awkward at first, but I'm pretty sure a tech priest of our skill could program up love.exe. Convincing her to run it may be difficult, but after some wacky misadventures we might have enough exp to buy some relevant skills.

5. Put a ring on her
Not sure if we want one on the ship or a software equivalent, but we should get cracking. Athena's a classy gal and there are plenty of fish in the sea of stars. If there aren't, she can probably make some and the last thing we want is to be doing this same inheritance clusterfuck against Servants #1324, #4387, and #6453.

6. Get hitched
We're going to need a radical tech priest to get hitched. Fortunately, we're in a conclave full of info on radicals of all shapes and sizes. Planning the wedding might be tough, especially since we're still in the closet about our love for an AI and the rest of the Galaxy doesn't understand our progressive attitudes.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

Ring...world?

Wait, wait, also called a halo.
Admit it, you're just itching for a Halo Device.

Those things have the worst tendency for developing xeno infestations.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

F. Quid Pro Quo

We're a bit busy with this whole trial business and trying not to get killed. Athena seems pretty handy, so if she can help us out with the trial (monitoring people, discovering plots, gathering evidence, etc...), we will have free time to go questing for her.

Otherwise, we should pay Miriam a visit.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

sullat posted:

Athena visited Terra, but probably isn't there right now. The communication just started, it's probably lurking relatively near to Footfall. Just in case we need a deus ex spaceshipina or a new complication.

She just sent a probe that got its poo poo wrecked by a teleporting guy with a hammer. I think she's still on the planet we found her on.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

How are we able to have point-to-point communications across the vast reaches of interstellar space?

Things from the Dark Age of Technology are more or less technology that is so advanced that it may as well be magic to the poor schmucks of M41.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

I should have specified - I meant Jazmine. Of course, this just could mean that she's the one who planted it.

Considering the individual who planted it gave off some nasty chaos vibes, I'm hedging against it being her own personal manipulation. Either there's a coincidental chaos infestation at the conclave involving people whose names we don't know just yet or one of Siadwell's goons is possessed / carrying a demonic knickknack.

But frankly, who the hell wastes a vortex grenade on a nobody like us? Then again, what's the point of being an inquisitor if you can't be ludicrously extravagant in your assassinations? I suppose if it's a plot by Siadwell, it fits his less-than-subtle personality well enough.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Grognan posted:

And since Jazmine's whole thing is stirring up conflict, she could very well have planted it there as a gift to us while pointing us at the monodomonists. She likes us because we stir poo poo up, but if killing us would stir MORE poo poo up then she would do that.

Never mind, you're right. I misunderstood the text and thought Megabyte ran into a chaos possessed individual planting a grenade, whereas the ozone and danger dialogue were referring to the grenade itself.

Jazmine probably planted the grenade and this whole thing is one big wild goose chase. At least we got a vortex grenade out of the exchange.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

I think that everything in this act has been really well done, but there are some traits that are inherent to the setup that make things difficult. Not to say anything bad about it (I'm having lots of fun), but so far it's a little unclear as to how we're going to progress. We tend to be at our best when we have a clear goal in mind and a good understanding of some potential ways we can accomplish it, but we don't have either of those at the moment.

1. Too many things going on
We are standing trial and could be found guilty. Rather than simply acquitting ourselves by searching for evidence / politicking, we have been instructed to get Saidwell found guilty. On top of this, there are a bunch of factions playing their own game and trying to use us to their own ends / backstab us and we're supposed to be courting them to get votes. Also, there's someone trying to kill us at the conclave. Don't forget that all of our pals are back on the ship and there's a potential civil war we'll need to resolve at some point. Plus Athena wants us to fetch a bunch of stuff and will probably be less than pleased if we fail. We're being torn in a bunch of different directions wanting to do everything, but there's also a time limit involving Saidwell doing something on the ship / looking through records and the trial is starting at some point. All of this stuff is really interesting and make for great hooks, but everything's happening all at once. If you're trying to pressure your players into making hard choices, you're doing a good job. However, because we have a lot of potential paths to pursue, including other possibilities (research, acquiring weapons, getting training, exploring, looking for artifacts), we've lost our usual drive to indecision.

2. We don't know what we're doing
Inquisitors are scary and being stuck in an entire conclave of them while in a vulnerable position is nightmarish. We don't really know how to actually look for evidence and have so far been stumbling from one plot hook to the next. I think a major weakness of all of this is that we don't really know what the rules are, what we can get away with, how closely we're being watched, and what the consequences are. We consistently assume the worst. Add to that, we don't even know what all of the potential options are for exploration and mischief. Because of all of this, we're trying to play it safe, which is why we aren't seeing the equivalent of disco-zombie armies and plans to steal hive tops. Having the dwarf explain some of this stuff to us would clear things up.

So far we're following a pretty classic structure of having gained wealth, power, and influence only to lose it and be placed in a vulnerable position and forced to prove ourselves once more. Starting out slowly in the conclave while trying to wrap our heads around what's going on is pretty much expected. Right now we need to focus wrapping up one loose thread to build up our confidence / understanding of the situation and have it give us clues about how to accomplish the rest. Personally I think we should stop bothering trying to politick with inquisitors since they are a bunch of sadistic jerks who are much better at that game than we are and having to interact with a bunch of them will eat up time that could be spent reenacting scooby doo and exploring the spooky conclave for clues.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

As I said before. Call Athena to bail us out, grab the contraption she wants, get back on board the Beast, assume control and bail!

Bailing out now means Devries wins and gets the ship.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Outrail posted:

I want to get back to the beast and turn it into a xenoheratical-tech enlightened ship.

Using Athena to kill him / get the ship is akin to admitting you can't beat him at his own game and flipping the table. At the end of the day, it isn't as satisfying to tell mom about how mean Devries was to you and having her beat him up for you vs a family movie night style retribution (and that was what we did to someone who mildly annoyed us) where we outsmart and outmaneuver him then rub his smug little face in it before the fun begins.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Outrail posted:

I never said anything about using Athena. I think one of the reasons we lost so much of the Beast to Devries so quickly is that we've been off having adventures with Athena rather than hunting down rats in our home.

Sorry for misinterpreting your previous post. With respect to this one, we've dedicated multiple subordinates and considerable effort trying to hunt down Devries to no effect while spending next to no time doing anything for Athena (we grabbed something that was in the same room as us). The reason we haven't taken him down personally is that we've had bigger problems to deal with (assassins, tyranid invasions, crazy tech-priests, pain-in-the-rear end inquisitors). At the moment, the pain-in-the-rear end inquisitors are still a bigger threat, but hopefully we can get something out of this debacle.

We should probably keep some things in mind going forward (not an exhaustive list):
1. Do we want to become more involved with the inquisition or less? More means more access to archeotech, info, and a bulwark against individual inquisitorial fuckery at the expense of being mired in constant collective inquisition fuckery and having responsibilities. Less means we go the rogue trader route of playing fast and loose as Lord Sire would have wanted.
2. Do we want to kill two birds with one stone and start attacking Devries from the conclave? He is a potential suspect and having him brought over to be held until trial will undermine his ability to exert influence over the ship and weaken his position. What else can we do to strip him of his assets?
3. How committed are we to being pals with Athena? Should we be spending a non-zero amount of time and effort completing her plans? Is there anything that she can do for us that's useful to our goals?
4. What can we get here that will make our life easier once this trial blows over? Information? Alliances? Technology?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

sheep-dodger posted:

What I think we should do:
- indicate through non-audible means the presence of the wire to the Eldar (hand gestures, writing on the 40K version of an iPad, something along those lines)
- if they don't have any countermeasures (they likely have) get the book somewhere out of the way and then talk to them
- ask them how they want to help us and what our role will be fighting She who thirsts (This is apparently Slaanesh they are talking about there)
- try to find out what is so important about the staff that everyone is after it

This is a pretty good plan.

Eldar are tremendous dicks to humans and at no point should we actually trust them not to omit the part where we and our ship get sacrificed to possibly save the life of some Eldar schmuck accountant from maybe getting the flu 300 years in the future and causing a minor inconvenience. We need to know what game we're playing before we can discuss strategies and getting these guys to cough up some details (even if they are flowery, cryptic, and mostly lies) will at least be a starting point.

We should definitely mention the staff (without anyone listening in) and really emphasize how THEY can help US and not the other way around.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tran posted:

To give a little context, Craftworld Eldar like these pointy eared jerks tend to be fixated on prophecy and acting out a pre-determined sequence of events. The reason for this is the fact that they're led by literally precognitive sorcerers, and they're terrified of deviating from the course those "Farseers" lay out. If Ohone really is integral to one of these prophetic visions, they'll go to extreme lengths to see her play whatever part they intend. Whether that's to our benefit or not is hard to say though.

Don't forget that the visions are sometimes imperfect. Also that they care as much about human casualties as you care about cockroach casualties in your house. Add to that, many Eldar choose to go out of their way to dick over humans for fun and bragging rights, especially corsairs and harlequins.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Sogol posted:

Don't do anything yet. Ask about the Staff that shows up in the Ships history. What is it? What is the significance of the Beast to the Eldar? Specifically what great Truths are they planning on revealing?

Keep in mind that there is a wire. If Saidwell or one of his cronies is on the other end, the answer to those questions could stack things in their favor.

Tran posted:

:bandwagon:

Also for the record, Daughter of Mars is just their ridiculously overwrought way of mentioning Ohone's status as a tekpriest. Daughter of Hera is likely a reference to Athena and our connection. The fact that they probably know that link is also incredibly dangerous to our well being. If push comes to shove, the space elves will likely lean on this to enforce compliance.

Daughter of Hera could be a reference to Eris. Given our penchant for going from one sticky situation to the next and causing trouble (releasing psyker abominations, booting up Athena, letting Devries on board our ship, being at the heart of inquisition dickery), I'm not willing to discount that possibility just yet. I'm also imagining the Eldar going out of their way to study ancient human history just so they can sound extra pretentious and condescending in conversation.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Outrail posted:

Yes sure, don't shoot ourselves in the foot. But if the option comes up to do something that doesn't effect us either way, but does mean an Eldar prophesy is ruined I say we take it.

Only if we get to say "Didn't foresee that coming, did you?" then activate our Adam Jensen shades.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

All of this is fine and all, but as much fun as traipsing after the Thousand Suns legion might be, we still have the slightly more pressing issue of our impending execution to deal with.

How about we ask these Eldar for some assistance with regards to Siadwell.

Edit: If I recall correctly, the thread consensus was that the Darkness was the Night Lords.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 15, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

This whole staff thing seems like a bust. Taking on either the Night Lords or the Thousand Suns is several notches higher on the danger scale than anything we're prepared to face. Even in the unlikely event we manage to survive that and succeed at retrieving this fate weaving relic, the Eldar are going to snatch it in time for several inquisitors to decide to kill us for assisting xenos.

Hopefully the Eldar will actually be of some use with the trial, assuming they want our full and undivided attention on the staff. As for the trial itself, I recall we have some pieces of evidence against Siadwell:

LowellDND posted:

Setting up the board

Holographs of Limosa and Eldar. He looked happy.

LowellDND posted:

Slice of Life XXXVII

Sister Suffer glanced at her data slate. “The stormtroopers’ quarters were broken into.”
“Right, after that.”
“Someone managed to switch their uniforms while they slept, to exact copies that were one size smaller.”
“And then…”
“And then, the room registered a ship fire. The internal sprinklers went off, and the doors were magnetically sealed.”
“So when the fire response team arrived, they saw our stormtroopers dressed in ultra skin-tight clothes, while also being soaked. It was described as ‘fetish wear that could have been worn by the Great Enemy.’ ”
“And one of them happened to have a pict-taker…”
“Which was immediately distributed across the ship. The Church is trying to seize all the copies.”
Inquisitor Siadwell rubbed the bridge of his nose. “This Ship is a madhouse.”

In the darkness of Between, three old men giggled like school boys.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

sullat posted:

See, this is why we should get to the Beast as quickly as possible. Tell the Eldar what they want to hear, it costs us nothing. Alternatively, vortex grenade to the face of the lead eldar. Either way, we vamoose, tell the inquisition we ain't got time for their trial, we'll pick it up in a couple of decades if they still care. Then we get teleported back home, and make like a bulimic and begin the purging.

The Inquisition, famous for being reasonable, understanding, and accommodating of other people's needs and beliefs.

Also, keep in mind, the guys you're considering purging are Astartes, each with the armor and firepower of a tank. The Night Lords, in particular, specialize in hit and run + terror tactics, while the Thousand Suns are goddamn wizards. So who exactly are we taking to fight these walking death machines with millenia of combat experience wrecking the poo poo out of fortified worlds?

I suppose if we get some kind of trade deal going with Athena helping us get the staff, in exchange for the Eldar helping us convict Siadwell / get stuff for Athena, followed by the Inquisition helping us stab the Eldar in the back and grab the staff for Athena, things might work out.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

sullat posted:

No, I mean purging the idiots who are supporting Devries, so we can get on track for chasing down the astartes who are presumably mucking around the galaxy with our family's staff. Whether or not we use it the way the Eldar want to is up to debate, but getting control of the Beast is the first step. Also, there's a saying, "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission", so we use the Beast's teleporter to boogie on out of here so we can get to work on the real task. We've accomplished our main goal here, getting the widget for Athena (even if we had no idea it existed before yesterday), so there's nothing more here but delay, procrastination, and maybe avoiding a death sentence.

We don't have permission to move around freely and we don't have enough control of the Beast to suddenly bail out of the system (or even a personal teleporter to get onto the ship as you suggest). We'd probably be shot the moment we tried anything, if not by the inquisition, then by anyone who is afraid of crossing them (hint: everyone). Besides, we'd probably lose a civil war vs Devries at present considering he has a much larger and well situated base of support, while our ditching the Inquisition makes us look like a traitor / heretic.

Also, we don't have the necessary components for Athena's mystery macguffin, nor have we assembled it. So that's also an issue.

Finally, our shadowy pals might be closer than you think:

LowellDND posted:

Heres the relevant Darkness stuff:

Slice of Life XXIX
Some say the Darkness still exists. Some say that if you want it enough, you can reach out to it, call for it.

And something will answer.

Slice of Life XXXIII

He formed an organization to look into every aspect of the ship, to find where the Darkness had gone. The Lord-Sire made some random story as an explanation, and let them go on their way. The lower ranked members would simply look for things, and tell them what they found.

The highest ranking members of that Guild, they were told the truth of what they were looking for, and what the Lord-Sire wanted it for.

Some would say they found it.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Waci posted:

And how would you achieve this?

Voting no to any plan that is nothing but suicide by inquisitor.

Doubling down on this.

We're probably not the only techpriest around and Inquisitor conclaves tend to have beefier security than what we're really capable of trouncing without setting off every alarm in the place.

JT Jag posted:

So I think Ohone's move right now is to try and be granted a stay of trial, by any means necessary. We have dire things to attend to, we can't afford to spend much more time here. If we can get some evidence that we didn't kill Limosa and if we can get our hands on something that indicts Siadwell before we bounce, even better.

A stay of trial will be rejected. Every rear end in a top hat Inquisitor in the sector just showed up to the party and they aren't going to let you cancel the main event.

I don't think we should be playing politics, but we can get other people to play them for us:
1. Ask the Eldar to help with the trial (how to deal with Siadwell and whether or not they can buy some time by sabotaging / spying on him)
2. Get in touch with our Istvaanian friend to find out if she can help us deal with Siadwell (she certainly seem to know what's going on and we apparently have friends in common)
3. Consider gathering stuff for Athena, if we want to avoid pissing her off / have a backup plan in case things go south, otherwise consider how to best betray Athena because fighting her will probably end up being the final arc if we're a lovely servant.

Edit: Also, find out what the hell is going on with that wire.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

JT Jag posted:

We will probably have to steal that thing from the prediction matrix as we leave. Minimize the chance someone catches or stops us.

Don't forget, she also wants us to build a device using the vortex grenade, which will require gathering lots of parts and finding a secluded place to put it all together. She seemed highly insistent that this was an IMMEDIATE concern. We could probably try to ask her for assistance with the trial as well as the Eldar, depending on how helpful they turn out to be.

Waci posted:

Exactly. Plus, their request (the staff) isn't in any way against our interests. We do not want to give a future-altering warp-stick to servants of Tzeentch. In the hands of eldar, it's an unreliable ally for our dynasty. In the hands of chaos, it's an inevitable, certain enemy. In addition to that, the eldar might repay us in some useful way elsewhere, and at the very least help us get into a position where we can actually do something to find the staff (which would require getting through the trial alive, as well as loving up Devries, both of which we could use help with). Plus, getting rid of the Darkness in the process would be unambiguously beneficial to us, regardless of what happens to/with the staff, and would almost certainly be expedited by the same efforts that would have to be undertaken to find the staff in the first place.

It's in our interest to work with the eldar on this issue. We can reconsider our relationship with them after the staff is in non-chaos hands.

Offer them our help, and ask them what they'll provide in return.

Agreed.

The Darkness is definitely a threat we have to deal with since it appears to be intrinsically linked to our ship. Being remembered as the one who got rid of it would also cement our authority aboard the Beast and elevate us to legendary rogue trader status. But until we are in a position to actually do so, we should focus on the immediate here and now, while slowly picking up allies / resources / knowledge to use against it.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Agreed. Tell them that if they can help us get out of the trial free and clear, they can have our soulstone, as a token of good faith. They want that too after all, I can only presume. Once that's done with, we'll start working towards this staff nonsense at our own drat pace.

While we can give them the soulstone, as a token of good faith, it should be without any implication that we're holding one of their precious brethren hostage contingent upon their help. Otherwise, they can just take the soulstone from us, either through psyker witchery or beating us to a pulp.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

"Oh hi it's us, the Eldar."

Man, this is a whole bunch of terrible Inquisitors.

Could be some particularly articulate ork infiltrators.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

We have some basic options:

Safe option: Investigation, frame Saidwell and co, win over voters, get stuff for Athena

Dangerous option: Unleash Saidwell's demonhost, figure out where heretical artifacts are stored and frame Saidwell for their theft, find some way to drive Saidwell's retinue off the deep end (they're probably teetering as we speak), possibly using recently acquired chaos artifacts.

I'm not necessarily completely against this approach, however, are we really sure this will work? Devries was able to play us like a cheap violin with the BONE incident and that was just one rear end in a top hat, not an entire conclave.

Arkanomen posted:

Just follow the old Rogue Trader's adage. "Dead men tell no tales". If everyone on the station dies as a result of malfunctions, welp, that's just the sort of thing that happens when you let inquisitors run rampant with xenotech and heresy. Real shame.

I think this may be the more entertaining approach. Rather than causing lots of tech malfunction and tech related deaths, just figure out ways to make things go horribly wrong with all of the xenotech and heretical knick-knacks floating around. Have it so Inquisitors are blaming each other and further deteriorate relations between Puritans and Radicals, preferably with Siadwell in the middle of the whole mess. If we conveniently find some way to rob the place blind during the commotion, before things go horribly wrong for everyone that isn't us, all the better. Plus, the Eldar can finally make themselves useful and help us carry our loot (preferably mind controlling people into looking the other way).

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

We're just a humble recongregator busy demolishing the old so we can pave it over with the new.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Listen to the terrifyingly competent inquisitor, then start making preparations

Go RV! posted:

So if that's his last order as it Inquisitor, he's either leaving for good, or we are.

It's his last order with us as his Interrogator. He might be giving us a promotion pretty soon, so that could be swell. It's a shame we didn't get the chance to cash in some credit with Kozilek to help us cleanly wrap things up aboard the Beast.

We still need to do that thing for Athena, make some more Inquisitorial contacts for later / schmooze with the ones we already have, and get ready to pay a certain blue lipped soon-to-be-servitor a visit

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Go RV! posted:

I know we weren't strictly given a prompt here, but can we follow him with cameras, or something? This is a rare occasion that we actually know where he is, and in a setting that we seem to be in decent control of. It may be beneficial to see how he gets around, being a legend and all. I doubt too many people walk through the halls are seeming unknowns.

I still don't like his implications, and want to do a scan of the area, as well. Check the grenade, etc. Make doubly sure that the hack we're about to do isn't a setup. K made the security here, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he put some triggers or honeypots in as well.

I feel that this is an excellent idea and that we should make it a priority.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

Edit: If kozilek can hack through a mech-deacon's security, and built most of the security here, and he's asking us to do something basic like -hack cameras in a hallway, which we just learned are the least secure nodes- then my suspicion is hella aroused and yours should be too.

He may not necessarily have built it himself, instead having a tech priest do it and add backdoors that only he has access to. Otherwise he may have a particularly good set of machine spirits dedicated to cracking security via brute force (recall when we ran into him with his killsquad). Building mech-deacon level security systems tends to require a mech-deacon and mechanicus' higher mysteries tend to be well kept secrets that even the Inquisition aren't privy to. So even if he can break the security to our room, he may not have the necessary knowledge / skill to do a camera trick with Siadwell's simulated image.

Tran posted:

Kozilek is a clear and obvious good for humanity. Pissing him off over some half-assed plot to gain leverage is doing the Enemy's job for them. Ohone may be greedy and ambitious, but I don't think even she would piss off her own drat inquisitor when he's very likely sponsoring her for the tests.

Every Inquisitor tends to be a little nuts and whats good for humanity may not be good for us. We aren't necessarily trying to gain leverage so much as we are trying to stay ahead of the curve. Kozilek could easily know or suspect something about our eldar connection (he hates them), our Athena connection, our xeno loving magos connection, or any number of imagined transgressions that would lead him to want us dead. What he's doing now with this camera altering business could be a trap meant to get rid of us along with Siadwell, letting him remain a very effective ghost, so taking some basic precautions couldn't hurt (like keeping an eye on him).

Edit: Well that went well.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 6, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Grognan posted:

Ordo Machinum

Perfect

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Maruseva tossed the fragments of a grenade on the empty marble floor, which clattered and slid. Automatically, your mind categorized them - vortex grenade, ancient. In the briefest moments of panic, you thought it was yours. But no - Megabyte had given it up earlier this evening, when you had completed the device for Athena. A one way, one time use teleporter. In some glorious day, you hoped to have the time to build more.

I can't say that I'm unhappy that we are following in the steps of the illustrious Orkimedes, who built the great Translorkator.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Waci posted:

Fearless
Armour of Contempt
Forbidden Lore (Tech-heresy)
Forbidden Lore (Cults)
Forbidden Lore (Ordo Malleus)

This plus Malatek

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Given the whole Athena situation, I'd say we should definitely specialize in Forbidden Lore (Archaeotech)

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

We may as well just take a chunk of Footfall with us. We're already going to be taking charge of a goddamn space hulk, may as well see how big we can get it by assimilating part of every world we come into contact with. Besides, we need to replace all the dregs we're currently losing.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tran posted:

Footfall is ruled by a consortium of Rogue Traders. They don't care what you do unless it screws with commerce. Taking a noticeable portion of the entire population with you qualifies. Even as an Inquisitor/Magos/Rogue Trader getting ourselves on the hit list of nearly every other trader in the expanse is probably unwise.

Considering we were trying to find a way to steal a hivetop in the middle of a war using a nuclear payload, stealing a chunk of Footfall without the various powers knowing or understanding what happened is simply another challenge worth overcoming on our path toward becoming a legendary rogue trader. It wasn't really a serious suggestion anyway, since there are far more pressing matters to attend to aboard the ship.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Keep the rosette hidden until we learn how to use a twitch mask

Everyone knowing we are an inquisitor will bite us in the rear end, especially as a rogue trader / magos. If nothing else, we can take advantage of the fact that two Inquisitors (Ed and Lyn) seem to be interested in helping out and probably would be happy to declare Devries a traitor to the Imperium on holovid shortly after we enter a room with him to parlay.

Edit:

Mr Apollo posted:

If memory serves, being an Inquisitor in 40k is basically being the right hand of the God-Emperor. In theory our authority is near limitless, entire planets could live or die with a single word from us, our enemies on the beast should throw themselves at our feet and beg for mercy. Now that won't happen of course, but being an inquisitor means we have the backing of a secret and powerful organization which means that a lot of his supporters just trying to back the winning side will begin to second guess their decision, the grey guards might be convinced to fully back us and the criminal gangs might run in terror. For the average person to being on the wrong side of the inquisition means being on the wrong side of the God-Emperor himself.

It also means no one with any power will trust you and everyone will resent your presence. Every xeno, mutant, and heretic will immediately start gunning for you to the point of ignoring other potential targets because they'll assume you're on to them. Mechanicus will consider you compromised in your loyalties. Rogue traders and anyone interested in black market deals will avoid you like the space plague.

One of our greatest assets is that we're a tech priest, making us easy to overlook/underestimate, and a rogue trader, making us someone people want to make deals with while avoiding red tape.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Meetings in order of importance.

1: Meet with Kasabillica. Tell them yes I'm interested and I will hear you out, but there are some existing obligations that might take precedent.
2: Meet with the Drusians. Yes, we'll need them to replace our existing Ecclasticy
3: Meet with the Spire. Maybe they can help with our cousin, maybe they want to take out Devries, maybe something else. Who knows?
4: Go to the auction!

Edit: Do we only get to choose one group to meet then?

Agreed on the first two points

1. Kasballica are pretty great when you're on good terms with them and pretty terrifying when you aren't, so looking into mutual benefit would be a good move.
2. Drusians are pretty handy right now since we can replace some of the losses we've taken with the dregs, weaken the ecclesiarchy on board the ship (which hates our mechanical guts) and get some loyal forces against Devries. We can always get rid of them later if we manage to get our own people appointed as chief ecclesiarchs. Double and triple dealing is the prerogative of rogue traders after all.

Disagree on the others:

3. We're a Magos with a bunch of tech priests we can take advantage of to fix whatever the problem is. We shouldn't be trusting space drug dealers to have all the right answers.
4. Knowing the sorts of artifacts floating around at those auctions, we'll end up with junk at best or a halo device at worst.