Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sorry if anyone's said this before (I've just caught up and only read Lowell's posts plus the last three pages)

If, then, we're trying to avoid combat as much as possible--except for grenades, of course, grenades have served us well so far and we should get more of them--we need a secure base to operate from. We don't trust our quarters right now (though, we should examine them in detail when we get the chance, simply so that we know who is spying on us, for future reference) and we'll want, I think, two things:

1) We're becoming familiar with the Shallows, and as a place of transit they're a good spot to monitor for any signs of the enemies of Humanity. We want a secluded place here, a place we can rest when we're tired, store weapons and equipment we might need to access quickly, and use as a sort of monitoring station from which to commune with the ship's Machine Spirit in safety and secrecy.

2) We'll also want a deeper storage spot, somewhere we could hide something (or someone) even from the Family if need be. We already have some knowledge of Between...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Azhais posted:

I find lies are best when kept as close to the truth as possible.

We came down here to deal with a quarrelsome machine spirit in one of the blast doors. Upon investigating its logs to see what the problem was, we found evidence of group of people in purple robes tampering with the doors for some presumably nefarious purpose. Tracking them down we were attacked and blasphemed and after dealing with the grave insult, tracked their activities here. Then the demonhost came. From where, we do not know.

Backing this, kinda. Say we were on an errand from the ship's Machine Cult--the Magos will back us up, if asked--to double-check some maintenance work in this area, we were attacked by the idiots, tracked down the ritual dealer, then WHOA DAEMONHOST and we hit the panic button.

Edit:

FireSight posted:

Their talk of a relic had us hunt down a relic merchant because *mumble mumble mumble*,

Because we were attacked! Us, nobility! The nerve of them. We decided to go find this relic merchant and make him share the fate of those who attacked us.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 11, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Outrail posted:

My dad has a good plan.

Also, if there's a chance we can get a hold of some of the daemon (like it's head, or liver, or hand) WITHOUT GETTING CAUGHT we should grab it.

I'm not saying we should pick a family member we don't like, kidnap them, and surgically graft demon bits into them, but I think it's natural for us to be curious about what would happen if we did. Not sure we're ready to leap straight into that kind of heretical behavior, though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

paragon1 posted:

Whatever we do we should make it absolutely clear to the Lord-Sire that what-his-face laziness and incompetence is what allowed the killings to continue and the Warp creature to go undetected. Who knows how long it could have gone undetected, and what it might have done, if we hadn't been so diligent?

I disagree here. For one thing, now is not the time for that--we can settle whose fault it is once we've explained what's going on and gotten things under control. And if we want to throw our idiot cousin under the bus, we shouldn't seem too eager. The Lord-Sire isn't stupid, he knows what he asked the guy to do, and if we lay things out he'll come to the obvious conclusion without us holding his hand.

But, do we want to lay this all on him? If there's a way we bump some heat off to a third party, or suggest that he be let off lightly, we should. We have plenty of family members, if we get him blamed for a Warp incursion and spaced (or worse), another will take his place. But if he stays where he is but owes us his life, he could be an asset. A stupid, clumsy asset, but times may call for a hammer to complement our scalpel.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

paragon1 posted:

You're forgetting that Lord-Sire has basically no information regarding the serial killer-warp entity link. And that our idiot cousin, and I can't emphasize this enough, overlooked a warp incursion in the process of murdering the wrong guy. We absolutely should throw him under the bus, because the guy in charge basically just asked us to do so. What time should we play this card if not immediately post-crisis when the man in charge is A) Giving us his full and undivided attention and B)is probably looking for someone to punish?

This guy is in direct competition with us. Trying to blackmail him after the fact will just give him every incentive to try to murder us. And what would we blackmail him with? We have no physical proof that he's culpable. And what would we say if we decided to follow through? "Oh yes Lord-Sire I only just now remembered that my dear cousin nearly got us all killed by overlooking a Warp incursion, I somehow completely let that slip my mind the other day when you asked me about it."

We aren't just trying to get this guy killed, we want him permanently out of the running to inherit the top spot. The Lord-Sire expects maneuver, and I'd say crashing your rival into his own blithering incompetence is a drat good maneuver.

Except: One, the guy's clearly too stupid to be a real threat to us. Two, we're already the closest possible thing to the hero of the moment. Not throwing Cruentus under the bus doesn't make us not look like hot poo poo here. It would just be gravy. Now, we can have our gravy one way--piss all over Cruentus to our maximum possible advantage--or we can get it another, by getting some kinda benefit out of Cruentus. Because, he's an idiot and a prick, but we can make him our idiot-prick, whereas if he goes away, some other idiot-prick steps up to take his place.

Family members are a renewable resource. Favors are not.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

my dad posted:

Or, he's working for that thing. (Or maybe even is that thing)

We're also the closest thing possible to a scapegoat for the mess, if we don't blame someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CIM5PnKuWA&t=830s

You're probably right given the gibbering paranoia of the Imperium.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sogol posted:

Don't directly implicate Cruentus. Just provide enough information the the Sire comes to this conclusion himself. The case is strong enough for that. This also takes extra scrutiny off why we were there.

Yeah, of course--it would be gauche to come out and say, "I came to check up on Cruentus because he's a turd and I don't like his face so I wanted to make him look bad" but if we give a good enough cover story and lay out the evidence against Cruentus the Lord-Sire will come to that conclusion himself. Being too quick to point fingers makes it seem like we think the Lord is an idiot.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Cruentus got off rather lightly, all things considered.

We must keep up with our social engagements among the family... after we keep our own little household in order. Let's see what's going on with Woodhouse.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Finding nothing is a little suspicious. I'm torn right now on whether we should attend our friend's party, or our enemy's. But regardless, as un-40k as it sounds, we should take care of our own first.

E: we also need to report to our actual superior in the Inquisition confirming the presence of the Enemy on the ship. But for that, we need a method of communication we can feel confident in.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Yeah we should ask our Lord Sire for a secure communications package as well. You know, to report back to him.

Well... no, not this, because if we ask him for a comms package we'll 100% get one he's listening in to and we don't know if he's one of the Enemy yet. And asking him for help on it makes us seem like we're incapable of standing on our own.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We do need to involve ourselves socially, and we ought to verbally spar with Limosa sooner or later just to get his measure--without letting him see much of us. We've just taken out Cruentus so he's very interested in us now, if we don't go to him he'll come to us.

But we need our own affairs in order. Check on Woodhouse C, then examine the final battlefield D, then figure out a secure way to report our findings to the Inquisition. If we must choose between social engagements, we should extend our deepest apologies to Limosa for having to miss his party, making a perfunctory but passable excuse, and see what Amacita wants to say. But when we go... expect the unexpected.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Well, they're quite forward for underworld types.

Normally this wouldn't really be any of our poo poo to deal with, but we do seem to be positioning ourselves Below, and this drug poo poo is suspicious given what we just saw at the scene of the warp incursion.

We don't care right now about the gang infighting--and for that matter, let them make their overtures for our support before we decide. We should investigate the bodies, yeah, but we can't snub the rest of the family forever. What do we need to do to prepare for Limosa's party? And we shouldn't necessarily believe that Amacita's simply refused to play the game. We need to figure out what he's up to. And, ugh, we should do more investigating and find those organs--poo poo, that's everything.

In order, B C A D. I'm still suspicious of Amacita but he's not a known threat right now. Of course, what we don't know we don't know can be the most dangerous unknowns of all...

EDIT: Oh yeah also we need to find secure comms and report to the Inquisition at the earliest chance we get, and we should also get ourselves a pet servo-skull or something that we can send off to talk to people in our stead when we can't decide where to go first.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 13, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LowellDND posted:

For the Machine Cult, consider working on cultivating the Magos, they are always up to one project or another. And they already have you placed as the intermediary between Machine Cult and Family.

Oh yeah, we can't forget this--we should keep up our obligations there. What does the Magos think about the warp incursion? Any errands we can run for him?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Opportunity cost is a bitch. Not changing my answer though, we can save checking in with the Magos for another time. We've got this on our plate for now.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LowellDND posted:

Yes, Im picturing the servo skull doing a little pop-up hologram that'll transmit you and them.

r2skull2

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Knock them down to two and give each of the remaining gangs a torpedo. Mutually Assured Destruction.

Don't actually do that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Arkanomen posted:

Does a tech priest even poop or would we just like, leave a pile of wires and melted plastic and slap a holy seal on top of it.

Even in the grim darkness of the far future, everybody poops.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think this is the right time to defer to the superior expertise of others. We want the Magos to come take a look at this. And we can see what Amacita has to say... from a distance. Apologize sincerely for not being there in person, of course.

Now, now... opportunity cost. Limosa's party or the new murder site? I think the deciding factor here is that we're on the Lord-Sire's business right now. How confident are we in our Fellowship rolls? Extend our deepest apologies to Limosa that we won't be able to attend his event. Don't be smug, don't remind him we're on official important ship business, just be polite and humble and promise to attend another when you can.

Lastly, how can we get a message out to the Inquisitor? We have definitely Found Something and we should tell someone about it. Not reporting the presence of the Enemy is a dereliction of our duty, even if our message is "yep, definitely the Enemy, we're working on it"

(A B D)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kegslayer posted:

We can tell Limosa that we appreciate his offer but we have already taken our daily dose of nutrients for the day and invite him to join us tomorrow in our prayers and rituals to the Omnissiah but since he's not an initiate, he'll obviously need to wait outside for the several hours it may take.

No, don't be a dick. Limosa's probably a slimy poo poo but we must play the family game for now. Not going to this party is already going to come back and bite us, but not investigating what looks like a chaos cult will... probably be worse.

Go meet Amacita. Please don't meat Amacita, and if we do, be gentle, and remember to get clear consent.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kegslayer posted:

Limosa's not going to take us up on our offer but there's no way we should completely ignore and decline his invitation without offering some sort of recompense.

We're a tech priest and anyone remotely familiar with the cult like the inner Family members will know the importance of the rituals as well as their secrecy. Being invited by a tech priest to attend supplication and maintenance rituals is a pretty big deal and is the equivalent of say being invited by a Space Marine to watch him clean his weapons.

It's a big honour but it's also going to be mind numbingly boring for the observer. It's the best way we can both thank and attack Limosa.

Okay, I misunderstood you. My bad, we should actually do this.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Arkanomen posted:

That in turn convert the organs into more spiders. ALL PRAISE THE ARACHOSIAAH!

I'm only pretty sure making grey goo spiders is some form of heresy, but there's one way to be really sure about it...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

paragon1 posted:

Let's just kill her.

Well, not right this instant. But that thing in the room sure as hell seems like it's a sign of the presence of The Enemy, and Amacita did just admit to using it deliberately, and we are, technically, an acolyte of The Emperor's Holy Inquisition... so let's kill her. Sometime. Because that thing seems weird as poo poo.

B 1 for now though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LowellDND posted:

Assuming she's just an Adept and not ... augmented in some way.

Try to see if we can do it subtly. For all we know, if she catches on she'll rear back, flare out her neck, and spit poison like those little dinosaurs from Jurassic Park.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grognan posted:

I put my vote for Flamer(anything), dousing things in white hot combustion should be a nice way to deal with heresy.

We'll want to pick up training with them before we try using flamers. Let's stick with what we know for now: las-weapons and our growing menagerie of killer robots. We should buy ammo for our guns.

Do hellpistols use the same skill tree as las pistols? Can we get one? Also, how about armor? If we're going to suck at shooting things we can at least be good at getting shot.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

paragon1 posted:

Circles within circles you say? Hmm...

I'm thinking of a thing that starts with a T and ends with zeentch.

Ooh, this is the least fun game of twenty questions.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LowellDND posted:

K, heres the plan. I have an exciting amount of papers due this week, so that is what I am doing right now.

However, NANOWRIMO is coming up in about 9 days, which means I get to write 50,000 words for the thread over the course of November.

For context, the entire story so far is about 30k :D

How much of a buffer have you been keeping, out of curiosity? Do you have descriptions of people/places/things ready to drop into posts as we see them, or have you written out some possible story segments for where the thread seems to be going?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Anticheese posted:

Relatedly, what do people in the Imperium do to unwind?

There's usually somebody it's okay for you to kick in the head. If you're unlucky you're a dreg but even then you can kick other dregs in the head and the arbites won't care.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We must crush this heresy, of course, but if we are too quick to blow this whole place to bits we might miss the chance to find out more about who's doing this and what their plans are. Let's do B, and hold off on anything else until we know a bit more about what's going on.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The writing in this update in particular is really, really solid.

We volunteer, of course, and while the gangs are likely quite busy right now, perhaps the tribes have noticed something...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It would be horrifying... to let sentimentality get in the way of our holy duty. Sorry, Fluors.

Dissect and Emissary.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wait, before we kill her--do we have a freezer? She's valuable data, we don't want her to rot away before we can analyze her. If we don't, though, oh well. There's plenty of data around here anyway.

Kill her, call the banners Tribes, get to the food center, do our holy duty no matter the cost. The Emperor protects.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We don't have time to gently caress around and we can't let Amacita out of our sight or who knows what headache that will bring later. She's been exposed to the Enemy. Do our duty and :commissar: now, then call up the tribes and get our rear end to the food center.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Leave Amacita out of this, but alert the Lord-Sire to the threat to the food. Amacita may be a minor family member but she's become dirty laundry. She also knows too much about our involvement here. We might mention her to the Lord-Sire later, after she's no longer talking, to show that we're looking out for the family discreetly.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What's more important, the villages or the whole ship? I suggest plan you're not my REAL dad--offer to let volunteers from the riders go back to guard the villages, an offer that most clearly won't take because they'd be abandoning the greater cause. Social pressure keeps our group intact while making someone else responsible for letting the villages burn. We ride to the food processors in force.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I agree with all of that, actually, I just think that in the moment and in-character we should be loathe to part with more of our fighting force than we absolutely must.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

my dad posted:

Question: Do we have anything in our arsenal that could cause a bright, rapidly changing flash of light on frequencies just outside normal human vision range? Because I have an epileptically evil idea regarding our hypersensitive friends outside the food processor...

One vote for Plan: Ultraviolet Disco Grenade

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So wait, where are we now? On the other side of a door out into the middle of the corridor?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Enemy! Enemy enemy enemy enemy enemy. The Enemy. Call for backup. If any of the tribesmen look like they're buying this thing's sales pitch, redeem them by our own hand. B.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I would say that Slaanesh can go piss up a rope, but I'm afraid that if we say that, he/she/it actually might do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, you dig? Pop smoke and find the best position we can around here.

As for the artifact, it may be dangerous to use it, but it's probably not more dangerous than being face to face with The Enemy. We need all the tools we have at hand, here.

D1