Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Voting icons here and here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Plan sounds good to me

As far as recommended reading, the Cain, Eisenhorn, and Gaunt books are all good angles on the Imperium in general, the Inquisition, and the Imperial Guard respectively. However, for stuff about the Adeptus Mechanicus to which we belong, I'd recommend Titanicus by Dan Abnett. You get a lot of good AdMech stuff in there. For starship stuff, the two novels by Gordon Rennie Execution Hour and Shadow Point get you decent shipboard life angle albeit from a military vessel rather than a trader one like ours. Finally, the three Shira Calpurnia novels by Matthew Farrer are good for a more civilian rather military point of view as the main character in all three is a member of the Adeptus Arbites (space cop). The second book in particular, Legacy is useful as it deal with a succession crisis in a Rogue Trader family just like ours.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Sogol posted:

I am going to have to look around for copies of Eisenhorn locally. No ebook and listed on Amazon for $150 of something new and $50 used.

Oh!

C, even though I've no real idea what that means.

It appears to mean we're riding a lobotomized slave in a race that other people are bringing cars to. I'm not exactly sanguine of our success unless the other teams crash and we tortoise and hare them or something. Besides, someone here needs to stand up for the Machine God.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

RE: Eisenhorn e-books. You can buy all the Eisenhorn and Ravenor (the sequel trilogy) books direct from the Black Library for $70. That's like seven novels and five short stories, pretty much all of them good, though some people in the Black Library thread weren't too fond of Pariah. I liked it fine, but I acknowledge it's different in tone than it's predecessors.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Sogol posted:

If we can get something resembling something undead as a servitor we could name it "Carrion Luggage".

I think this may represent a concerted effort in the thread to ruin my near term life.

You're welcome, it's been days since I ruined a life. Once you've started reading 'em, feel free to come by the Black Library thread and let us know what you think!

e:sp

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 27, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

1 - Inquiry and Tracking now!
D - Servitors!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Interrogate the survivors. Until then, fight!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

He's already scared, let's work with that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

gently caress it, someone's gotta...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E-MtJBAZvw

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Well THAT'S encouraging. I'm sure nothing bad will come of this. Jump on the E bandwagon, my brethren! :aaaaa:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Sure, Plan my dad.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

None of these things are mutually exclusive, so why not do them all?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yup

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

serious talk here we should confiscate his Warrant for being stupid enough to strap into one of these

jesus it's like an xzbit meme

No, that's a Dreadknight. Only Grey Knights get those. What he's got is a Centurion which is...well, not much better, actually.

LowelDND's got the right pics.

e: And hell, since I found the pic:

A Devastator (long range) Centurion as opposed to the Assault Centurion that LowelDND posted.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 14, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

I haven't really kept up to date with the fluff but what's the difference between the centurion suit and terminator armour?

Is terminator armour still the premium in protective armour or is centurion a step up?

If centurion armour is so rare, would a tech priest like us even be able to begin to understand and modify it? Would we even be able to recognise what it was?

In game terms, the Centurion increases your Toughness but lacks the Invulnerable Save that Terminators get. What that means is that a Centurion is actually harder to kill with infantry weapons like lasguns and bolters and the like, but easier to kill with dedicated anti-tank weapons like lascannons and melta-guns.

Centurions carry bigger guns than Terminators, but since Centurions are piloted by regular marines as opposed to elite veterans the way Terminators are, Terminators are arguably better in hand to hand combat than Centurions. Certainly Assault Terminators will probably crush Assault Centurions in a hammer vs drill fight.

In short, Terminator Armor probably is rarer and more elite than Centurion Armor, as indicated by the fact that only veterans and officers get to wear Terminator suits while they'll put any old Marine in a Centurion.

As far as recognize it? We'd be able to recognize it, sure. You've never heard of them because they've only been added to the game in the last few years, but retroactively, Centurions have been around for centuries. Understand and modify? That's a whole different kettle of fish, and would probably require us moving farther down the Tech trees as opposed to the infiltration unit direction we've been heading.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Also, if the Inquisitor keeps giving us shotgun shells, we should buy guns for our ammo, stupidly enough. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Outrail posted:

What exactly is a hell gun? And whatever the answer I support implanting one in our arm

There are a ton of variances across the galaxy, but this pic sums it up pretty well. The lasgun is on top.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hey LowellDND, how much are we allowed to use knowledge that I the RL person have vs what Ohone might be expected to know based on her stats and skills? Because I've got a hunch, but it requires knowing about the sacred numbers of Chaos that I dunno if Ohone would be in position to know...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Plan Horrible Lurkbeast

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

D1

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

No Dissection

Servo-Master

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

(Vote hasn't changed. Now that I'm home and not posting from a phone, I can use an icon instead. If you want icons, you can get them here or here.)

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 14, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Shogeton posted:

B I'm perfectly ok with seeing Ohone tread on the Path of Glory one day. But for reasons that fit her more. When her thirst for knowledge outreaches Imperial Law too much, when perhaps those we choose to attach ourselves to become victims of the Imperial machine, when the backstabbing of politics makes the alternative uninteresting.

But right now, right now this demon is not offering anything we don't feel we can get on our own. This offer is a boilerplate 'I'll offer you all you desires' thing, could have been made for everyone. If Chaos wants us, they'll have to try a bit harder than this.

Yeah, that's my thinking too. It's like Emperor Palpatine's half-assed offer to Luke in Return of the Jedi. You could see Anakin falling in Revenge of the Sith because Old Palpy had been working on the guy for years, since he was a little boy in fact. Anakin trusted him and when the moment came it kinda made sense for him to go with his mentor. But twenty something years later? Palpy's gotten soft and weak. Who the hell gets offered "hey, switch sides! I mean, sure, people working for me killed your aunt, your uncle, your first teacher, tortured your friends, and blew up a whole loving planet! But hey, you're pissed off so that's enough to make you jump ship, right?" and says yes?

It's not that I necessarily think we shouldn't go Radical some day. Maybe it'll make sense some time. But this bullshit? This is disrespect, is what it is. It shows that Xeno Boy here doesn't respect us enough to try for a real seduction into darkness. And that disrespect cannot be allowed to stand.

Kill that fucker! (Or try, anyway.)

(Not a vote. My vote is recorded above.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Shogeton posted:

I like to imagine Ohome having the 'shoulder angel, shoulder devil' moment, with the angel going 'No Ohome, don't betray the Omnissiah, kill the demon' and on her other shoulder the shoulder devil just looks disgusted and is like 'What, we merit no more than some improvised, one-size-fits-all Chaos. eal? From this loser? gently caress him, never take the first deal order. Kill the demon.'

I know which side my votes are coming from. [STATIC] :devil:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

B1

Since when are we smart enough not to use dangerous toys? We're fuckin' Mechanicus! Screwing around with machines we don't understand is our JOB! And the flaming sugar bath is too funny not to try.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Plan my dad

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We can't take the risk. If we're wrong about the bleach, we lose everything. If we purge this vat we can be certain we eliminate the infection.

EDIT: Vote changed below

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 25, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, okay, that works.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Goddamn do you paint a pretty picture. I can see the nightmarish warren in my mind as Ohone races along the catwalk towards the massive vat.

We really should bleach the whole drat thing and make that cocoon doesn't make it out.

Edit: Oh a new page huh. Well then enjoy this picture of what I believe Ohone looks like. I did not draw this, it's from a friend's art page.

Not enough red. :colbert:

Nice drawing, though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

C'mon, the power sword move is awesome!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

B

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mother's got no reason to gently caress with us since we're doing what she wants, and the Subsixers wouldn't go against Mother's wishes either. Seems safe enough.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

D

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

D

Burn the spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Re: Eating Souls.

Slaanesh eats the Eldar, which is why the regular Eldar use Soulstones and the Dark Eldar use....torture? You know, I never did figure out how that was supposed to work. :shrug: Also, I think the Rubric of Ahriman did something similar when it sucked out the souls of the mutated Thousand Sons and boosted the power of the ones still in good shape. I don't think that was what was supposed to happen, mind you, but that's pretty much what did.

So while on one hand, more than the Emperor can do it, on the other it's only other major Warp entities and universe-changing magics. So probably not something a hosed up hive mind Astropath can manage just yet. Probably.