Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
A5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Peer: Ecclesiarchal
Reroll: Strength
Picture: 1 - Feral World

A noble-woman who helped the Ecclesiarchy set up a mission on her world to keep the heathen populace in line, I think.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Another vote for Tech Priest.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

my dad posted:

Copyist

NO Tainted Blood

Disciples of Thule
Tech-Use
Common Lore (Tech)
Trade (Technomat)

Let's go with a standardish techpriest for now. There will be plenty of opportunity to gain glances at forbidden techthingies in exchange for corruption and insanity points. Why waste them now with so little to gain in return?

Scarlet Ember

Like it. Another vote for this.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

D, we're a Tech-Priest, we need to act like one.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

FireSight posted:

Our servant always knows the information we want, or can find it for us.

Bearing this in mind, if we're set on gathering intel to completely devastate our family and sell out a Rogue Trader to the Inquisition, no time like the present to start working. 1A.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

B. Stick to what we know.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Oh, wow.

E - Do your best to stop that explosion while continuing the race. And if it happens anyway and we're one of the few survivors drifting in space thanks to being a Tech-Priest, blame Jeb.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

my dad posted:

e: They're all Everyone's lying.

You're not far wrong. C it is.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

A - you don't get to threaten a member of the AdMech and get away with it in one piece.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Obscil posted:

A, also call some greycloaks to where you are as back up.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

D, then C.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Yes, because heavy use of a sketchy non-Imperial artifact like this that tampers with human perceptions minimum, human minds probably, while there's a daemon-esque thing on the loose, not to mention a murder-cult, is a real sign of someone's trustworthiness and stability.

On the other hand, Limosa is probably a complete dick.

B1, though remember as a point of order to investigate the claims about the Magos later once things have stabilized a little.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

B, because it's good for you.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

A, you know what Al Capone said about kind words and big guns. This ship needs both.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

No dissection and Secutor.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Green Intern posted:

It's way cooler for Ohone to steel her soul in the face of evil than to just fall over at its feet. I mean sure Ohone might die anyway but that's the price of being a badass.

B

Spot on. A vote for B!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

C2, no daemon can stand up to our intelligence and resolve! ...or our allies' large caliber explosive rounds, for that matter.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

C, for heaven's sake people, killing it with fire is a perfectly accepted and highly regarded problem-solving solution right now. We just established a few updates ago we're not hereteks (or xenoteks in this case I guess) so why do we think screwing with the xeno toxin is a good idea

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

A1.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

^Good idea.

B and D, more information about the great foreman before we bump into the local xeno abomination / underground cult leader would be nice.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

May as well buddy up with the Tech-Priests, they get everywhere for everyone to do anything; they might have some useful information for us about things we can do for the General without bothering him directly.

Oh, and do speak to the Magos.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Slaan posted:

A guy like that would surely be under investigation by some Commissar or other authority. So lets make sure that they find evidence of some sort of heresy. It should be easy enough to dig up some xenos bits from a grave site or something to stash in his room.

A vote for Plan Slaan.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

VanSandman posted:

B and D.
Say you have an offer for Devries, dangle a variety of vices in front of him. See what he bites at. Set up a sting with the Commissariat after figuring out why he's tolerated.

B+D, this is a fantastic plan.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Go with the big guns and big mecha-tentacles, Sectutor!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Oh, boy. E.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Haystack posted:

So, my personal take on Ohone is that she's Machiavellian as gently caress, but not actually (very) sadistic in the classic sense of the word. Sure, she enjoys making people suffer in certain situations, but usually only in the context of a larger Machiavellian plot.

For example, while she did gloat over de-braining the pilgrims, she was mostly gleeful because she was making a point. In attacking her, they directly attacked and insulted the Family and the Tech-Church, the two most important organizations in her life. The theatrical executions served the larger purpose of defending those institutions, not to mention firmly established her as a Very Scary Righteous Important Person.

In the current situation, I would say that Ohone mostly just doesn't care about this kid. He's just a bothersome mess left by a rival's lazy plot. The Machiavellian thing to do is to use this kid for whatever small benefit he might give us, or clean him off the gameboard at our convenience.

So I'm gonna suggest an alternative plan for what to do with this kid:

:siren: F. Make a spectacle of him. :siren:

Think about it. He's public murdered an innocent laborer, a little girl, and attempted to murder a respected war hero (all on camera, no less!). Moreover, he's a snooty, entitled, stupid little brat with no power base and a strong link to a real setback in the war. We can make the IG hate him. We can give him the trial of the goddamn sector. And the best part? One of our rivals is heavily involved. We could do some real damage to him. Sure, it might embarrass our Family a bit, but everyone is willing to forgive a Family the occasional bad apple, especially if said apple is, say, a dirty filthy psyker.

edit: Incidentally, I suppose this changes my vote from E to F

Oh, that works well. Voting F.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

VanSandman posted:

I reiterate: No hive fleet is coming. Consider the facts.
1. This world is a crucial staging area for the war. From here, offenses can be launched to wrap things up over the course of a decade.
2. As such, it is remarkably well protected by Navy fleets in nearby systems.
3. The Nids are clever. Why spend a hive fleet when infiltration is so much cheaper?
4. The planet went from Genestealers to Bioforms directly. This is not the standard pattern. Bioforms generally show up only after a hive fleet has arrived.
5. What better way to gently caress over the Imperium than taking a crucial planet and spawning a surprise hive fleet?

I tell you, there is no hive fleet coming. There is a hive fleet under construction, however, likely in Gamma hive.

Maybe, but I'd say hive fleet is still more likely.

1: Sure, it's almost certain by this point that there really has been a nice deep Genestealer infiltration in the planet for a while now, so the Nids may well have been aware of this world's importance to humanity/food source A for some time - but Tyranids simply haven't ever created hive fleets out of bolts of cloth planetside until the entire planet is being eaten. They simply can't because they have to do the whole "spore the atmosphere and biosphere so it can be dissolved into food slurry" thing to actually make use of all that lovely biomass. We have seen no signs of that at all.
2: Don't forget that the Shadow of the Warp doesn't just muck with psykers, it inhibits Warp travel. Sometimes it's just a few days delay, but it can be much longer than that if the modified currents feel iffy. This is a classic pre-hive fleet invasion sign. As an aside, this means we can't really rely on fleet support other than what we have - and let's not forget thanks to that memetic virus we're already a big supply ship down.
3: Because the infiltration kind of already happened? Lictors aren't committed to the infiltration phase, they're specifically committed at the pre-invasion phase to soften defences up and act as int/psy-ops, not infil assistance or post-victory biomass harvesting (which as said is mandatory for the scale needed to make hive fleets). That poo poo's all Rippers and Biovores.
4a: Lictors don't obey that rule anyway, as said.
4b: As for the rest, when you're at the stage of Lictors fully engaging local forces, thousands of genestealer implanted/halfbreed troops resisting local rule (the rabble that tried to oppose our landing) supported by bioforms it's not beyond the realms of reason and Tyranid battle plans to assume that the (presumably now liquidated) genestealer cult got things going properly with biomass-making smaller forms and making bigger forms from their victories to 'fund' the big stuff.
5: Because as said in 1, Tyranids physically can't and don't do that. And if they want to gently caress over the Imperium/Food Source A, they'll just invade and eat poo poo.

poo poo's undoubtedly going down, but unless Lowell's really gone off the canon scale for nids, it's not what you're suggesting.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

So one of our guesses for how this happened was the bio-modding nobles picking up Tyranids from somewhere and trying to engineer/tame/enbiggen them for fun and profit, followed by the xenos reliably escaping and taking over most of the planet?

Is the responsible noble house Van Der Weyland Yutani Umbrellum?

Led by Ser Tricell, no doubt.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

A!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

A, burn it, burn it all, why aren't you people listening to Arkanomen and burning it already

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Shogeton posted:

...But we can make a better world.

The cheery, whimsical, ignorant wishing of a madman. The only way your grand story works is if a situation of lucky strokes equivalent to rolling a string of Nat 20's comes to be, and even then, only maybe.

Your concept only happens if Athena actually wants to listen to any attempt at authorisation and doesn't just jump straight to "purge all unauthorised passengers".

It's if even if she does want to hear us out we can out-bluff a milennium-old AI that was built and crafted by far better Tech-Priests than us.

It's if even if we somehow pull that off the ship doesn't blow itself (and us) apart trying to get off the surface.

It's if after somehow convincing Athena of our good intentions and desires we deal with the Tyranid/Mechanicus abomination army currently crawling around in here, not to mention the possibility of dealing with some of our own manpower who may not be too keen on going straight to Hell/the Warp with us.

It's if we somehow get away with stealing an Ark Mechanicus in the eyes of Inquisitor Kozilek, General whats-his-name from the Nallani, our own drat family (who will be livid that we're basically destroying their reputation and profitability in exchange for personal gain) and the Magos who sent us here in the first place, all of whom we are flipping the middle mechandrite at whilst carrying a burning banner of heretical bio-teknological matter reading "gently caress You All" above our heads as we burn straight for Mars.

And above all, it's if we somehow expect the Imperium as a whole - because you know the Mechanicus just has to drop the words "tech-heresy" to get the other major arms of the Imperium pissed at us too - doesn't simply move to annihilate us outright to prevent the threat we pose to their order.

It's also if you are completely head-in-the-clouds about how hosed up the whole situation is. Are Ark Mechanicuses (Mechancii?) a truly wondrous thing? Yes. Are they going to allow a Tech-Priest of some infamy at only a sector/Rogue Trader family level (with none of the authority that brings once we're branded heretics and/or runaways by our own dynasty, mind) to have any chance of success? No.

Put your head back on your shoulders. We've unleashed Athena, now we need to do our best to make this stupid situation we've got ourselves into work.

To the Warp with this! Purge the xeno-human hybrids now, with a particular emphasis on organising a man-hunt for the old Magos. Try and convince Athena of our good intent and that the Mechanicus is the inheritor of the mantle of the Martian Federation so she doesn't just destroy the institution we've devoted our life and soul to on a whim.

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 20, 2015

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

2, get the gently caress out sharpish! Seriously, nothing saying we can't work with/under/alongside/etc. her later, but now? Now, we do not want to be decontaminated.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

After Arc 5? Athena + Ohone adventures all the way.

Right now? Well... if the Kriegers can still absorb more casualties wearing down that Tyrant, get our retinue to start battering the Magos with fire while you assault her mind with trash programs. Use the vehicles as a firepower reserve to put onto the Tyrant or Magos depending on who's weakest - if the Tyrant-corpse-servitor is only going because of the Magos' command of its cybernetics, killing her may be a quick way of winning this.

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 21, 2015

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Hmph.

Plan modified accordingly.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

my dad posted:

Ok, let's get this show on the road!

Jaded (200XP) - Holy poo poo, we've seen things. Everyday horrors of the Imperium simply don't have the punch they used to.
Intimidate (100XP) - I'm pretty sure the family movie night gave us an understanding of how to terrify people.
Forbidden Lore (Inquisition) (200XP) - I'm sure our mentor will be more willing to trust us now. And share his knowledge with us.
Binary Chatter (100XP) - After having to deal with so many murder servitors, we've become quite adept at manipulating them.
Speak Language (Tecnha Lingua) (100XP) - And I'm sure brushing up on our secret machine language skill would be useful.
Logic +10 - It's time to sit down and think. How do we approach our numerous, numerous problems and opportunities now?
Actually, Pack Hunter(100XP) would be better. Our murderbuddies can always come along. :3:

Trade(Knitting) (100XP)
Basic Weapon Training (Knitting Needles) (100XP)
:colbert:

LOSE 10 INSANITY POINTS - 1000XP - Meditate, knit, talk to a priest, spar with Sincera, focus on building a really shiny cog, sit in your room and cry, whatever, just put your mind back together Ohone. Going insane would be a BAD idea right now.

This is a solid XP plan.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Oh, wow, 360 posts I missed? What the hell happ--

Goons posted:

Wedding Madness

Oh for god'sOmnissiah's sake.

+1 Sanity. There is a time and a place for "wacky shenanigans" like overly-melodramatic wedding declarations, and immediately prior to an Inquisitorial Conclave where we are going to be judged, probably to a death sentence if we gently caress it up, by our conduct and decorum, and the funeral of our father and lord-sire is not it! And if you want an alternative, here's one.

We need to appear like the popular misconception of Magos-Deacons the masses expect; cold, calculating, ruthless, and with no care for the melodramatic. And we need the masses because now that DeVries has - thanks to his own clever planning - pretty much cornered most of Limosa's old support in the officers and bigwigs, we don't have an alternative power source. Not to mention the officers and uppers are hardly going to back someone who's been brigged by the inquisition unless they're dead drat sure we'll win - and we've no way of proving that, yet. What's the point of impressing a load of bigwigs who'll bend the knee to us after coming out of an Inquisitorial Conclave innocent and a Rogue Trader dynasty to our name (and with any luck DeVries smeared across the engine room) when we can fish for either entrenching our support in / conning the masses into backing our lead? Go to the funeral and act in a completely expected manner. We've been playing the "unexpected underdog" family game since this adventure started and winning by brains and deception. Let's not gently caress it all now by acting up.

And as a reminder, the Conclave is going to think we're loving loony if we go ahead with the wedding now, and remember, even if we despise Siadwell and want no other ending to the conclave than him dead aand (and I must agree with that), we need them on side. Ghost legend or not, Kozilek won't be able to take Siadwell down on his own words and influence. That's what these Conclaves are for, preventing individual inquisitorial feuding and replacing it with judgement of peers. I can't think of a better way to ruin our (and thus Kozilek's) reputation than acting like we give more of a poo poo about an obscure and not particularly well known rule (if we only found it out through copious research, I seriously doubt many onboard the ship will know) than their Conclave.

And there will be many, many chances to act like the flamboyant, AI-worshippin', dress-loving, scarf-knitting tech-priestess we are later. We need to really get our priorities straight here.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Well hey guys what happened while I was in inquisitor jail??? Oh hey Devries is the Lord Sire now I wonder how that happened!? If only I had someone who was an elligible candidate to become Lord Sire here while I was gone a bloo hoo hoo.

We don't need to do it at the funeral we can do a reception later, all we need is a minute with the body to have a cake cut.

Not the problem. It is still a social stunt that really isn't anything we couldn't do more sensibly when we're not in the crucible - and even if it's only the "dead hand of the Lord-Sire" thing, no reception involved, it kind of makes clear to both the masses (who we need) and the Conclave (whose fears we need to allay) that our priorities are skewed.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Tran posted:

B: Respectfully ask who he is and what he wants of us. If he identifies as one of Kozilek's people, ask him for a rundown of the situation so far. I suspect this guy is here to coach Ohone on trial etiquette and provide basic information on the people we'll be testifying before.

Edit: To pre-empt the obvious, don't steal, vandalize, hack, or otherwise misbehave here. At all. Not even a little.

Hear hear. Do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

VanSandman posted:

We have no real proof our inquisitor is the actual Kozilek, do we? It could be an heir of his, possibly a clone? Someone who could conceivably get their hands on his Rosette, anyway.

Or indeed another Inquisitor with something to gain by impersonating Kozilek. Particularly seeing as we're now learning that ol' Koz is something of a legend in the sector with a reputation to build power off of.