Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
I'd vote regular flare but it's not going to win. If a flare disturbs something and it comes at us we're on flat ground in a holy(?) place when it attacks, or if it illuminates something dangerous we'll know about it. Low cost high yield. Plus a skull. Skull flare.

Brownview fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

B, C, D in that order.

Obviously our investigative skully's name is Dana.
Sounds good.

How does a group mind like Mother come to exist, anyway? Did the original astropath "eat" other psykers, did they merge in some Chaos ritual? I assume this isn't common protagonist knowledge but I'm wondering if that's come up in 40k before or it's just a neat idea of the OP.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

I'm not voting on anything because I don't know the systems, but just want to say that keeping the townsfolk under long-term control seems like a bad idea - it's not our control, it's Mother's, and I could see it taking control of them all again if/when we have a showdown with it. Burn them on something that isn't a clan of people bred for centuries under the control of a dangerous psychic creature.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

B. Just to tidy a loose end, nothing personal [soulless clone of some devious master].

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Waci posted:

What is it with this thread and letting all the bad guys go free.
The OP is going to keep finding stuff to throw at the protagonist and write a good story despite the voters not always being the brightest bulb. I don't think we had the firepower to take Mother* and I don't think we can rely on an expendable clone for information or double-crossery.

*I still think the people from Mother's village will fall back under its control when it comes back into the story.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Waci posted:

I'm not sure the clone considers himself expendable, even if his master and we do.

That's kind of my point. If he's willing to fold right now, why wouldn't he do the same for his hard-coded master, either out of worship or fear of punishment? I just don't see it working because he's unreliable.

Let's pop him open and get an exhaustive look at what the clones are about, and (if appropriate) apply that to the next one we come across.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

I was sure Filthy Lucre was a Man With No Name trilogy reference, but apparently it's biblical:

"For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:

Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake."

follow the dicks

I don't have much to contribute - there are so many plates in the air that I don't feel like voting a lot of the time, but I really like how prolific an OP you are! Great read.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Quit changes votes so LowellDND can :justpost:

E: oh nevermind he just posted

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

What are the events that resulted in Ohone's 27 insanity/14 corruption? I've only been following closely since the Mother/psyder scenario.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

B because more exploring is better than less.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

my dad's c/b combo seems good.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

At what point do we have the resources to buy/develop crazy cybernetics and augmentations to boost our base stats and ability rolls to absurd levels? That is my jam.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Im not hella familiar with the bionic rules yet, but this seems like where I can start

https://lost-worlds.obsidianportal.com/wikis/augmetics

I know next to nothing about the rules and get my setting knowledge from wikis, it just seems like it would be in-universe to be able to replace your arms and legs with Power Limbs or something. Probably doesn't gel with linear character progression, I just get a kick out of turning resources into monstrously powerful characters.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Uuuugh I want to see all of those things. THIS is a great CYOA branching path. None of this E bullshit for me, I want to pick one of the cool places the OP has sketched out.

Factory bay, which is my guess for the Magos's mission/maximum body horror? Engines, to get it ready to fly? Bridge, for maybe greater overall access to what's going on? Weapons, because weapons are awesome? People are going to write multiple paragraph essays explaining why their answer is the only way to go, and I think that's the sign of a great story.

I am going to go with A because I think the bridge will give us more options to try to take control of the vessel and rip out its secrets.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Anticheese posted:

A!

The bridge is going to make the Event Horizon look tame, isn't it? :gonk:

That's what I was thinking of with the Filthy Lucre. This time around my mind goes to Dead Space (which scared the gently caress out of me). Huge ship, fleshy monstrosities, tech savvy PC.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Dead Space didn't really feel that scary when you're given the tools to deal with any threat pretty much right off the bat. Ammo was never really a problem. It was atmospheric and interesting, sure, but I'm not sure that I'd call it properly scary.

It wasn't the gameplay so much as the setting and atmosphere. I was the player that sat there for a minute, terrified, watching some flickering shadow of a guy slowly beating his head against the wall. Just really got to me!

When I was a kid I quit Silent Hill for a full summer after getting to the sewers where the radio didn't work. I didn't need that poo poo in my life.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Can I introduce you to Marble Hornets?

Haha - is there some playlist or walk through for all the videos? I dipped into it a couple times and got creeped out, but following the thread as it was happening was draining and hurt my interest.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

I'm not sure how this is going to end for us but it looks like we're heading to a major life decision. Either we inevitably burn the ship destroying information and resources that could save untold billions of lives or we try to use it and take another step down radicalism.

This and another recent comment from the OP has me wondering. So when insanity or corruption hits 100 do we suddenly become mustache-twirling evil? Do people perceive us as corrupted and/or we can't do pro-Imperium stuff? Like at 95 corruption we could be using those robo-Tyranid to help the war effort, but come 100 we feel compelled to turn them on what passes for innocents in this setting?

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Grognan posted:

At that point we probably have bigger concerns.

Sure, not trying to detract from the current action. Just idly wondering if evil is like a switch that gets flipped or we experience an inexorable but steady march, and imagining how that would play out in the narrative. The road to Chaos is paved with heretical superweaponry.

Lock and load. :getin:

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

D. If the Krieg attack us despite whatever surreptitious message we can send them, i guess we deal with that. Maybe their faith in us will lead them to believe we have a plan?

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Download the research (if it can happen here), check the engines to see if we can jack some "inexplicable" tech, then weapons, then on to the factory bay. if we only get to vote on a single action - "get the research." Vote on a place? Engines. Arguments about how valuable the ship is or isn't takes a backseat to getting the next update! :choco:

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Waci posted:

(02:43:04) LowellDND: if you want to use the 'burn fate permanently resolve' I think I could be open to it

Suggesting we burn a fate point to channel the will of the Omnissiah into freeing the ship's machine spirits.
I feel like our hand isn't being forced yet. No showdown with the heretek Magos, the conventional Tyranids or IG aren't blowing the ship up. Maybe we have to make hard decisions in a couple updates/minutes from now, but I don't think we need to permanently burn fate points just yet.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Burn a fate point to put the primordial gods back behind miles of razor wire. :ohdear:

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Planescape
Games like that come to mind when I sperg about boosting PC stats. If only we had 25 INT, WIS and CHA for our dialogue with the AI!

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

We're on the bridge, right? Let's say hello.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Burn a fate point to repair Athena's speech software so it's easier for the OP to write out. That has to be a beating.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Relax, I got the train back on its tracks :colbert:

I was legitimately worried as I got caught up on voting that goons would vote to abandon the story you've been building.

LowellDND posted:

Looks like the current plan is:

Attempt to hack/confuse/subvert the Tyrant and the Magos
Crash into Magos with a truck
Shoot Magos with a snappy one liner
and Send Kriegers to their certain death against the Tyrant.

That about cover it all?

Sounds good to me. Bonus points if we snag something to bring back to the Magos that doesn't reveal Athena's existence.

Goons are gonna goon about that ship until it shows up again, but we need to get back to consolidating and building our power so we can do something with it once it's back in the story.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Ralith posted:

We might (or might not, depending on Athena's disposition when she returns) have abandoned our one opportunity for power that puts even the Lord-Sire to shame, for no good in-character reason whatsoever :negative:

I hear what you're saying. Without having read any of the fiction, though, I bet we've (maybe only temporarily!) joined a proud tradition of *almost* recovering a technology that would change the universe as we know it.

Out-of-character, I've really enjoyed the OP's storytelling and get a little burned out on the intermittent "E - something totally off the wall!" Options. Hybrid choices, sure. And the story isn't exactly on rails, but as less a player and more a reader I want to respect and enjoy the cool narrative, drat it. :colbert:

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

I vote we have a skeleton crew of Krieger occupy the Tyrant or otherwise protect us and then have the remainder, our sub-sixers, and anything else we have focus on the Magos. No resources spared, come at it from as many angles as possible.

e: hahaha I have this mental image of Devries waiting for us after we escape and I am SO MAD.

Brownview fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 21, 2015

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

I totally hear you. I don't mean that I want to dumbly follow the tropes of the 40K universe or some unwritten rules of CYOA threads, and more I'm really curious to see the story the OP has planned and when the choice was to scrap the remaining arcs or delay that for awhile and ride out the remainder of the story, I selfishly vote for the latter.

If this were a tabletop game I'd have tried to break it several times over by this point, but here I feel like an audience member that gets to vote on what happens next episode. I want to keep watching my stories. :corsair:

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

C, B, A in order from most to least important if we are on a time limit.

We want to control the info that gets to the Magos and secure as much data on Athena as we can. Implants and then weapons/armor are secondary. I don't want to get caught with the body.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Is B saying send the Kriegers at it as guinea pigs? That sounds pretty good.

Do we have any obligation or need to return to HQ? We don't have a game-changing retinue, do we? B then D. Throw the Kriegers at it and then return to the Beast. Make sure our men are there to greet us, I'm still worried about getting jumped before we can work through all this data and determine what to hand over.

Sorry, I forget. What was the mission Quint sent us on? I guess we had some kind of cover for our Magos quest.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

LowellDND posted:

I picture a handful of shuttles, since you are carrying vehicles. I put the Kriegers on a different shuttle in case you want to crash it.

B sounds like an opportunity to let the Krieger die as they see fit. Send them down, if the camp's still around later we can follow through on our offer to fit them with cybernetic limbs and/or blow them up.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

'Ere we go!

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

I'm a dummy - what would our trap for Limosa look like?

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Option 2 feels the Rogue Trader-iest. The rest as below:

JT Jag posted:

D: The Magos' instructions were to make a copy and destroy the original. We will make two copies. The first copy will be the one we will give to the Magos. The portions of the log involving Athena will be corrupted beyond retrieval. It will reveal that the Magos decided to fuse herself with the Tyranids for reasons unknown to us. The second copy--- and be sure it's the second, in case the Magos can somehow tell that something was taken off the dataslate before we give him his version---- will be the full file, for our purposes.

And we do not tell anyone about Athena.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

If options 1/2 tie we should turn it over for the Lord Sire to decide. We get personal influence with him (probably!) and he can figure out if we go for IG fame leveraged for future profit or the immediate profit (maybe!).

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

I feel like there are a lot of flashier or more immediately appealing options but I vote Mech-Deacon. It really sounds like it fits our playstyle and boosts the stats we use over and over. We have time for Heretek and semi-forgotten lore later, we still have an Inquisitor, Lord Sire, Magos, psyker, tea-drinking murdermom and too-quiet smiley up-to-something figure to balance against each other.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

I'm only voting for cerebral implants because I don't want something else edging this out! Though in the time it took me to write this spergy post people seem to be voting the way I'd like.

that wiki re: cerebral implants posted:

These grant the user the :siren::siren::siren:Unnatural Intelligence (2) Trait:siren::siren::siren: (see page 158) and a +20 bonus to Logic and Lore Tests, thanks to the superior mental capabilities he now enjoys.
The +20 bonus to logic and lore would make this worth it alone, but the unnatural intelligence trait is ridiculous Remember how the Ork PC in another recent CYOA could soak so much damage? Orcs get Unnatural Toughness, which doubles bonuses from that stat. Also, keeping track of that stuff was a major factor in making it unfun for the OP, but ignore that part

More info here: https://wh-40k.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/unnatural-characteristic but here are the highlights:
• During Opposed Characteristic Tests, on a success, the bonus multiplier is added to the degree of success.
• When taking a Skill Test based upon a Characteristic with the Unnatural trait, the base Difficulty of the Test is staged downwards one level for degree of multiplier past normal

What I think this means:
• Effectively doubles our intelligence stat??? This part I'm confused about. Someone that plays these games please weigh in.
• Anytime we succeed at an intelligence check, we add two degrees of success.
• Anytime we tie at an opposed intelligence check, unnatural intelligence is the tiebreaker.
• Anytime we face an intelligence check, its difficulty is reduced by 10 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

adding my second implant vote for baleful eye