Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Just plowed through this, don't suppose we know enough forbidden lore that next time we get a super generic "join us for everything you could ever want" offer from the warp we could possibly go "No, and frankly if I ever did decide something was worth inevitably getting turned into a tortured pawn for I'd sooner start eating human flesh and ordering everything in sets of 11."
Honestly I think there were times where if Malal came a-knocking Ohone would've taken the offer in a heartbeat processing cycle though not so much at this particular moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

You realize that Malal keeps it 100.

Well, sometimes he doesn't tell you when he makes the "alright now first you get to hurt the people you hate and then after that you spend your whole life hurting who I hate" deal he doesn't let on that the people you hate are ALSO people he hates.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think Ohone does believe in the Omnissaiah. She's also either convinced herself or is lying to herself that the Omnissaiah would approve of the whole Athena deal, but doesn't REALLY believe that Athena is an aspect of the Omnissaiah. She just REALLY REALLY wants the whole Athena deal to work out because if it does work out it'd be such a game changer to the better, and at this point a return to the status quo doesn't even seem possible. Athena taking over the Imperium is probably inevitable at this point, the only question is whether that will be a good thing, or as a mad AI, or at chaos's behest.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You know if the grey knights are already going to be in the warp searching for Fabiyan, we should try to talk them into having a few try out doing the Great Crusade heroquest. Going into the warp to try to have affects on the real world, less likely to be willing to do experimentally, but if it's basically what they're already doing...
(I suggest the Great Crusade because finding the primarchs was initially its primary purpose and the reunification of humanity a nice plus. I imagine its king of dragon pass list would look something like "find someone missing, reunite the divided, then the standard strengthen the quester bring back a treasure.")

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 2, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Now I'm all for :tinfoil: but I THINK that was saying "more patient, less omnicidal [than the Iron Men]."

And well, a drone probably wouldn't have had a boot-up sequence that said "ATHENA ONLINE." That's not PROOF of course, but I think it can at the very least be considered weak evidence.

I do hope we didn't inconvenience "test out her capabilities without revealing yourself" with our binary "you knowing binary shows YOU'RE not unique."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well we could hand over her dataslate and say it seems to have belonged to our founder. Willingness to hand over a family relic could serve to convince them of our loyalty to Mars over our family.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
So if we do decide on full honesty, it'd probably be worth revealing that the grey knights have been working with a lesser full ai for omnissiah knows how long.

I'd generally think that even if he's not down with an ai that might possibly be convinced to be loyal to mars, the dark mechanicus getting its hands on it is a no-no. There's a good chance we won't be getting out of here alive for unleashing that on the galaxy though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure the mere existence of the Mars federation is not actually a secret, especially within the mechanicus itself. Outside its a little inconvenient to the imperial cult and probably not advertised, but techpriests don't really have any reason NOT to know about it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Even telling 'everything' its PROBABLY best go leave off "oh and my dynastic founder says a chaos primarch invented the imperial cult."

So uh, everything except for anything about the origins of the imperial/omnissiah cults

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well my first instinct is now we know why they rebelled: because odin had predicted/foreseen something that made it appropriate, but evidently was wrong.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You guys aren't thinking like rogue traders.

We need to sell them, for their amazing warp-calming properties.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Don't want to kill Amacita, but yeah definitely not opposed to a tighter leash. Possibly under the guise of more responsibilities, except ones that keep her away from telling other people what to do.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
From the other side, tau don't really believe in chaos because of the fact that chaos doesn't generally bother possessing any of them, and just think that chaos is a rival human empire with a rival religion. Which also means when there was a battle where they killed a greater demon of slaneesh they started telling everyone from the imperium they could get in touch with that they just killed slaneesh, you're welcome, see what the greater good gets you?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

LowellDND posted:

edit: And yes, Amanita is pretty much the last Family member who is standing and doesn't have other obligations. So she's been running the day to day stuff.

So what I'm getting here is we should sidequest a wife for limosa?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Come on, you're a good writer, you don't need to crib from other people's work.

It's not cribbing, it's just a saying that survived through the ages :v:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

The Chaos gods must hate us. We hate disease, don't take a whole lot of pleasure in much, avoid physical battle when possible. Who's left?

Come on, what's a little consumption of human flesh between friends?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Secondly, I propose we sell of the Abrogates.
Thirdly, I propose we also sell of Amacita as their leader.

I'm sure someone would appreciate their warp-calming effect.

And of course there are bound to be plenty of pilgrims stranded on earth with the ships they were expecting to leave on heading for Golgotha. We can probably sell the abrogates, and then sell off the freed up space to stranded pilgrims too.

And there's surely to be a relatively capable administrator we can snipe from the shipyards, get married into the family and have take over the duties Amacita was doing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Kill her, but be sad about it. We tried so hard not to do this, but we just can't trust someone who's made so many bad bets with power and now she's insisting on taking it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Regrettable, but we couldn't let her have that much power when the next Abraxus or Devries came along.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Grognan posted:

Who the hell is going to want to run the ship? We'd probably murder them for sneezing.

Well, I'd like to point out that my previous replacement of marrying her replacement to Limosa will have the side benefit of an inquisitorial interrogator constantly looking over their shoulder.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
So, Amacita didn't have a bad point in that it looks like we kill off anyone capable enough to even theoretically be a threat. Which is going to serve to dissuade people from appearing capable.

As a solution we should fake having a very public very noisy falling-out with Limosa.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Hexenritter posted:

Her mistake was challenging Ohone in public rather than addressing her concerns in a more private setting and in a tone and manner befitting the Lord-Sire of a Rogue Trader Dynasty. She basically pulled the 40K equivalent of calling Queen Elizabeth I a clueless ginger fuckwit in front of multiple witnesses.

Oh, I'm not disputing that, but I still think there'd be value in people thinking you could get into a spat with the lord-sire and survive, as long as you don't do anything that looks like a coup.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The problem with limosa is that I think we're usually more inclined to use him for inquisitorial business, which doesn't always lend itself all that well to profit.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Nah she was ALSO a threat because she was the galaxy's worst judge of character and it was only a matter of time before the next abraxus or devries came along.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JT Jag posted:

But competent and sane? She was, at most, only one of those.

I think she was both, but unfortunately only one at a time. (And yes, sometimes neither.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Find someone skilled on Luna and marry them into the family, (though I'm not entirely opposed as revealing ching shih as "an ancient family member we recovered from cryogenic preservation" so that she can do family things if needed.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If we're going to give ching shih an official role I'd kind of like it to be as a moral voice. When something comes up, ask how it would have been handled in her day, back when humanity could afford to be nicer. Don't necessarily do it if it doesn't make sense NOW but at least that would kind of keep in mind part of what we're trying to fight for beyond our own personal power.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"Sorry, no you're right, she will be missed, and I miss her already, but I still think it was the right call."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Waci posted:

Why would we regret killing a traitor? For fucks sake people, just because a dying traitor claims she was the good guy all along doesn't mean it's true. Stop taking heretics at face value.

We put a lot of work into not killing her, regretting it doesn't inherently mean thinking it was the wrong call it can also mean 'I wish it hasn't come to that.'

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well, definitely leave some patches that still at least LOOK space hulk-y for the opportunity to sell space-hulk tours to bored nobles.and

And for "are you okay" I vote just "my childhood friend forced me to kill her" because honestly even of she DIDN'T intend to usurp (which I think phone is like, 80% sure she was) she needed to be removed from power because she was a dagger aimed at the heart of the ship ready to be used by the first person with a kind word and ill intent to come along, and she had made it VERY HARD to remove her from power WITHOUT killing her.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 8, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
While I don't think we should let up that the throne is failing (though we should probably tell edourd in private) but I think we should probably say "I spent seven subjective years on titan, I've spoken with the fabricator-general, believe me when I say that the imperium has been assigned a death-date if nothing changes."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Anticheese posted:

So if Slaneesh came into existence after a species orgied it into the world, what will happen to Athena, being at the full focus of literally the whole galaxy at war?

"I'm sorry khorne old chum, but your services are no longer required."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Ask the techpriest if he wants to play test subject enjoy the fruits of his discovery first.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well I guess it's only fair to test out it out on both something 100% organic and on something 100% machine.

Edit: also if we're going to use it on a psyker use it on a much less important psyker before limosa.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 11, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Not just a cat, one of the semi-hairless battery tribe cats. To see if it heals biological damage.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
From the "takes things to a great Crusade level" I imagine not really, because the astronomicom is already great Crusade level.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well, someone scout it out and confirm, and have others on standby nearby.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

falcon2424 posted:

B + Minions.

This seems like a perfect task to use to test some of our second-tier assistants. Pick 2 or 3 of them at random. Give each a group of Grey Cloaks, and have them do the initial investigation.

Yeah actually i'm gonna throw my support behind this.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I don't suppose athena can get ching shih to get someone who knows about her to have a servitor with a rope tied around its waist sent through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Tell Hera about the Athena fragment on Titan. Better source of information on what the hell is actually going on than she's likely to find otherwise.