Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
A naive vote for exploring the dregs and serial killers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I think I may need to read some stuff to play. I am familiar with the games, books and movies from the OP, but have no experience with the warhammer genre itself other than a couple of passes at games with Warhammer in the name. What would be a good read?

(That Peake, Lem and Kafka are listed as source texts is a bit daunting in terms of imagined game play. Two of the listed books are notorious for essentially nothing happening for hundreds and hundreds of pages, despite the best efforts of the protagonist.)

My current non-understanding of the vote would be something like:

A) Trial combat and subordination. One group wins, ending this nonsense, and its minimal blood spilled.
Acting consistent with Family

B) Grab a few kids and have them perform a marriage ceremony. Then they can be in the mess of family alliances like everyone else is.
Acting consistent with Family

C) Racing machines! We can have the track go through the bowels of the ship, there should be some sweet crashes.
Acting consistent with Tech Priest

D) Walk them to the servitor machines.
Acting consistent with Tech Priest

Probably getting that wrong. What would be an example of an Inquisition consistent solution or act?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 25, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Xun posted:

Not sure if this helps but here's a big fat wiki

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki

And specifically for our character

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Adeptus_Mechanicus

Thanks. Been looking at the wiki references. I was thinking more along the lines of a novel in the genre. They must exist and it seems likely there would be some not completely remote from our setting or character. Are any of them readable?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am going to have to look around for copies of Eisenhorn locally. No ebook and listed on Amazon for $150 of something new and $50 used.

Oh!

C, even though I've no real idea what that means.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 26, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Grognan posted:

Tracks are yes, jets if you put them on are a probably.

Can we name it "The Luggage"?

If we can get something resembling something undead as a servitor we could name it "Carrion Luggage".

jng2058 posted:

RE: Eisenhorn e-books. You can buy all the Eisenhorn and Ravenor (the sequel trilogy) books direct from the Black Library for $70. That's like seven novels and five short stories, pretty much all of them good, though some people in the Black Library thread weren't too fond of Pariah. I liked it fine, but I acknowledge it's different in tone than it's predecessors.

I think this may represent a concerted effort in the thread to ruin my near term life.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 26, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
D. I like the chain arms too much not to use them.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Obviously this means one of the losing options wins doesn't it?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Use the chain arms of our servitor to grapple the vote.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I think we broke him with our tie vote antics. Could just be the normal curse of the CYOA though. Start one and things are bound to crazy in your life.

Whatever it is I hope it continues. The flavor is really cool.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
D

"While I do feel it very unfortunate that Jeb set off this disaster by carelessly losing control of his vehicle (I truly thought him a better driver or would not have allowed him in the race), and this looks very bad for the Blue Team as a result, I do confess I feel much worse about the stray torpedo that took out the Red Team. That was a truly unfortunate consequence of Jeb's incompetence. I do hope in light of this disaster and my clear victory that my judgment on the Batteries will be implemented within the hour. Thank you for your obedience in this matter."

How much did we win?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
A

Then the report, then the Inquisition message.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
D

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
C
With
D if that is possible.

Updates are great to read, btw.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
E. Always time to shoot him in the face next. First ask:
"What exactly does this look like?"

Then some follow up questions. Then shoot him in the face. One thing is certain. He is not innocent.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Obtuse Angol posted:

Just wanted to say I'm loving your writing, OP. You've managed to capture the over-the-top grotesqeuery of WH40K, but leavened it with a self-awareness and wit that's often lacking in tales of that grim, dark future.

Having just finished (what there is) of Gormenghast, I've got high hopes that you can provide my fix of byzantine machinations and awful-people-doing-awful-things-but-still-being-pretty-amusing for the foreseeable future.

One minor criticism, though. If possible, when choices are being made about things like character/skill progression could you provide more explanation of the mechanics and consequences? Thanks to a misspent youth I know enough about the 40K universe and P&P RPGs in general to get by, but the first few pages of character build discussions were borderline incomprehensible and nearly put me off the thread entirely.

Actually, not really even a criticism as far as I'm concerned, as I'm a lazy, lurking type and am content just to watch from the sidelines, but it might dissuade some of the more active posters who would join in but for their lack of knowledge.

I am also enjoying the writing and the flavor of the ship/world a lot. I have not yet popped for the bux to get the source material, but I kind of like picking things the consequences of which are completely opaque to me and learning in practice.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
In terms of influences I was sort of imagining the Peake playing out with family on the ship and Kafka playing out in the faceless unassailable bureaucracy of the Inquisition. Just a guess.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
B

We need more information because another family member (Widow Maker?) claimed this was solved. Why? Whether we definitively solve it or not we need the dirt on them. It is either laziness or an active cover up. Negligence or Malfeasance. Knowing would be quite valuable to us.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

LowellDND posted:

Always happy to steal from be inspired by my readers. :v:

edit: Wow, almost universally chosen B. I thought that would be the dead option too.

And miss the chance to humiliate Cruentus?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
He is probably the serial killer.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
If anyone has a bit of time and hasn't read Kafka I think this Kafka piece The Penal Colony has useful tone for the thread. Also "The Hunger Artist" maybe.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
[S/]C[/s] Vote Change

I confess I don't fully understand the implications of "E=static", e.g. What would that be doing to Megabyte, what it means for us, etc.

Some people read the Penal Colony as a commentary by Kafka on the process of writing. For myself, I prefer to remain confused about it.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 28, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Ok fine...Vote change from C to E

Enigma.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Here is a Kafka short story I feel synopsizes many aspects of Kafka.

quote:

A Common Confusion, Kafka

A common experience, resulting in a common confusion. A. has to transact important business with B. in H. He goes to H. for a preliminary interview, accomplishes the journey there in ten minutes, and the journey back in the same time, and on returning boasts to his family of his expedition. Next day he goes again to H., this time to settle his business finally. As that by all appearances will require several hours, A. leaves very early in the morning. But although all the surrounding circumstances, at least in A.'s estimation, are exactly the same as the day before, this time it takes him ten hours to reach H. When he arrives there quite exhausted in the evening he is informed that B., annoyed at his absence, had left half an hour before to go to A.'s village, and that they must have passed each other on the road. A. is advised to wait. But in his anxiety about his business he sets off at once and hurries home.

This time he covers the distance, without paying any particular attention to the fact, practically in an instant. At home he learns that B. had arrived quite early, immediately after A.'s departure, indeed that he had met A. on the threshold and reminded him of his business; but A. had replied that he had no time to spare, he must go at once.

In spite of this incomprehensible behavior of A., however, B. had stayed on to wait for A.'s return. It is true, he had asked several times whether A. was not back yet, but he was still sitting up in A.'s room. Overjoyed at the opportunity of seeing B. at once and explaining everything to him, A. rushes upstairs. He is almost at the top, when he stumbles, twists a sinew, and almost fainting with the pain, incapable even of uttering a cry, only able to moan faintly in the darkness, he hears B.--impossible to tell whether at a great distance or quite near him--stamping down the stairs in a violent rage and vanishing for good.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
If a Halo the question about Cruentus is still: negligence or malfeasance?

Did he simply go kill some random people and call it a day?

Is he benefitting from or enthralled by the Halo and has knowingly misled the Sire?

The Halo carrier seems to be in the primary stage at this point. Closer examination, which we may not actually want just yet, may reveal something else of course.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

LowellDND posted:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Halo_Devices

The initial symptoms do fit (mass murders, eating blood and flesh, inhuman strength) but that could be anything really. :)

Check there.

close call, right?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
C. I think this thing will be gone by the time the Calvary arrives. Plus, summoning the Calvary means we have to account for why. This will alert Cruentus, and if the thing is gone make us chicken little or the boy who cried wolf. Granted there actually is a wolf and the sky actually is falling.

Deceive
Pack Hunter
Constitution

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

paragon1 posted:

Tech Use +20

Int Intermediate Advance

Ok then.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Grognan posted:

Let's never shoot things again and just hack the ship to kill them. Smashy doors, firebreath suppression systems, old void fields flickering to life at the worst possible moment, grav plates making jelly of our enemies, power conduits overloading, steam vents opening on unsuspecting victims and all other manner of things that can go wrong on a ship.

We are the ship. I like it.

E: the infestation of humans may eventually become problematic I suppose.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Don't directly implicate Cruentus. Just provide enough information the the Sire comes to this conclusion himself. The case is strong enough for that. This also takes extra scrutiny off why we were there.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
B?

Unite the Gangs

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Just so I am clear she has just unknowingly brought an alien artifact she is using to build a secret coalition one of the aims of which is to oppose the Magos to the attention of a member if the Inquisition, namely us.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am just catching up. I want to say that your writing started out good and has gotten better, IMO.

I have no idea about skills.

Yes on the secret mission.

I forget which of our dear family members is the psyker. Mightn't they be a suspect for xeno tech that in low doses makes averting more susceptible to psyker powers?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Though the skills still confound me a bit (even with the training wheels version) I wanted to check about overarching goals the skills serve.

1- sufficiently hack the ship to become the ship. Granted the scale and scope of this may make us insane, but the price of greatness and all.
2- sufficiently impersonate meat bags to infiltrate the superficial and quarrelsome goings on of their sociopolitical doings, allowing for effective social engineering. Also likely to make us insane. (see item #1)
3- be a sufficient badass by means both immediate and extended to handle whatever is occurring situationally.

Am I tracking here?

If done well this could mean we don't actually need or want to be Sire, but could instead groom a puppet Sire. Of course this means eliminating the psyker I think.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Amacita is currently our best candidate for a pawn/puppet in the family. She appears utterly incompetent. The question is, if that is true how has she managed to stay alive for this long?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Slaan posted:

All of our troops are riding war racers. We have speed on our side. Have them detach, slay these 'pilgrims' quickly and continue to the Food vats with all speed. Meanwhile, we shall continue to help the Sisters hold the line.

As a plus, having a bunch of gangsters attacking from behind will probably make the reinforcements hit harder!

+1

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Just to scale this, can we hack the ship's lighting?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Can we hack the lights in the room where the battle is occurring in an attempt to create an optic overload before we enter?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
In that case we should probably flood the room with sensory overload just as the next wave occurs and then sally forth just as it takes effect, falling on their flank or rear.

If we could hack comms to warn the Sisters that this is about to happen that would be good.

Do we also have access to the lights, horns, buzzers etc. on the vehicles of our small force, essentially making them look much larger and noisier to the overly sensitive, than they actually are?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 12, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Ok, so...

- hack the comms and tell the Sisters to be ready
- wait for the attack to begin
- flood the room with an overwhelming amount of sensory stimulation particularly in the appropriate bandwidths
- as it takes effect sally forth with an additional barrage of light and sound from our amped up flanking force

Oh... And beware sources of static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
You and your silly details. Lights! Noise! Let loose the hounds of chaos!!!