Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Poniard posted:

legend of zelda, i think

Same here. My siblings stuffed a NES controller in my hand in front of Legend of Zelda and it was all downhill from there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Frostbite or Pac-Man or Combat or Centipede or Frogger or Firefly or Popeye or Donkey Kong or Dragonfire

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Rad Racer 2. What a poo poo game.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Okay i need some help. One of my earliest video game memories was an NES game and I have not been able to figure out what it was. You play as a SWAT team (I think). When you start out you are in a city scape and you have to sneak past these spotlights by jumping into cover or ducking into shadows, otherwise you are shot all to hell. After that part theres a sniper section where dudes will appear in randomly lit up windows on a building, you shoot them and after a while you get control of a dude who rappels off the roof and breaks into a window. After that you get a sort of pseudo fps where you go throught the hallways and rooms and shoot green sort of ninja looking dudes. This has bothered me for years, I played it a lot as a kid and I need to know what it was.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Doctor Goat posted:

this game loving owned because the death routine was part of the standing routine so if you never stopped jumping you couldn't die ever

captain comic 2 owns bones too

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Okay i need some help. One of my earliest video game memories was an NES game and I have not been able to figure out what it was. You play as a SWAT team (I think). When you start out you are in a city scape and you have to sneak past these spotlights by jumping into cover or ducking into shadows, otherwise you are shot all to hell. After that part theres a sniper section where dudes will appear in randomly lit up windows on a building, you shoot them and after a while you get control of a dude who rappels off the roof and breaks into a window. After that you get a sort of pseudo fps where you go throught the hallways and rooms and shoot green sort of ninja looking dudes. This has bothered me for years, I played it a lot as a kid and I need to know what it was.

There's a thread in games for this: Help us remember the name of a game!!!!

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k-f5XWjUbQ

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pizzatime posted:

giant bomb played that in one of their game room quick looks, pretty funny, can't find it right now tho

I only know what giant bomb is because it's the only thread that has probably ever generated reports from the podcast forum. anyway I used Astrosmash as an example in my final presentation for an artificial intelligence class. Have a great day.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Adventure on a neighbors atari

I was like three and just walked right in their house

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

In an arcade - Space Invaders.
On a home computer - 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81. This is it - http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/emulate.php?tzx=0/3DMonsterMaze.tzx.zip@0&title=3D%20Monster%20Maze&scale=2
Don't get too scared..

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

the castle of dr. brain

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

deez nuts

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

CharlestonJew posted:

motherfucking Duck Hunt
Yeah either this or that early 80s Star Wars game with the vector graphics. Can't remember which. poo poo owned.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The New Zealand Story, I played it on the amiga, but the NES port's music was far better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq_HnUgXe5E

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

:smugdog:

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Smurfs for Colecovision.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
had to be either doom, nhl 95, or gus goes to cybertown

or metroid 2 the return of samus

FUMF
Mar 31, 2014

We used to have this old copy of Hugo På Nya Äventyr, in which you're basically some kind of goblin/elf shithead, dodging various objects as you scate towards the horizont, trying to save your wife and children from an evil witch of ultra evilness.

Oh hey here's a video!

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I've been playing since before I can remember, but I'm pretty sure it was Alex the Kidd on the Sega Master System II.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oh it's a pretty old game, you probably won't have heard of it.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

GelatinSkeleton posted:

That sounds kind of like the Golgo 13 game.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
nes: super mario bros/duck hunt
genesis: can't remember but probably sonic 1 or nba jam
pc: mad dog mccree
gameboy: the amazing spider-man (gently caress this game and its amazingly lovely controls)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It's honestly hard to say a this point. I was born late 1986. Among the list of what I recall playing is Mario/duck hunt, Sim Ant, Arkanoid, x-wing tai fighter, or maybe lode runner or kings quest or some poo poo. I wish I knew. Games back then were loving great.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
assassins creed 3. I am trolling.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Either Pokemon Blue or Turok, OP.

Crewmine posted:

unironically too spooky for me

what a poo poo load of gently caress.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I remember back in the day, while playing on the Gameboy (my most recent memory) I was playing Dr. Mario. Now, this was around Decemberish because someone sent use a holiday gift tub of various popcorn flavors. I think the flavors were: Butter, Cheddar Cheese, and Caramel (like what you find in a box of cracker jacks). I vaguely remember, while playing Dr. Mario, for the Gameboy, that I got very sick. I don't recall how I got sick, but I legitimately got sick. For the next 48 hours I was in bed with some sort of bug.

To this day I cannot play Dr. Mario without feeling a bit nauseous. I have no problem eating anything, but if I were to play Dr. Mario I would start feeling sick. It's the first video game I've really played, but man does it leave a permanent sour taste in my gaming repertoire.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I don't remember but it was probably either Super Mario Bros. 3 or Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Those are the two games I remember earlier than anything else. I'll never know which one I played first and I kinda like it that way

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Ralp posted:

I only know what giant bomb is because it's the only thread that has probably ever generated reports from the podcast forum. anyway I used Astrosmash as an example in my final presentation for an artificial intelligence class. Have a great day.

i like the idea of only gaining knowledge about a thing through reports in a lovely thread

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
not 100% sure but I know it was on the intellivision. Probably something dumb like frog bog or hockey or skiing.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
The first game I owned and I know I played for sure was Enduro but I'm almost certain that I played this on my cousin's house:

I was really bummed out when my Atari had a Enduro cartridge instead of Pitfall.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Bowling for the Dec VAX 11/780. My dad had a VT-100 at home for work, and, among such things as being able to balance your checkbook, compute your taxes and play Chess, you could bowl. The ball was square, and the carriage return key bowled. This is all I remember; I think there were PC-speaker-esk sounds from the keyclick simulator speaker, but I may be wrong on this detail.

Anyone else have their first gaming experience on a mainframe or minicomputer? Or even some other esoteric non-home-use machine like an H/P 80 series?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
donkey kong for nes I think

but transport tycoon was the first game I really got into hardcore

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Was probably some edutainment games for my parent's mid 80s Tandy computer, or whatever they had in demo booths in the early 90s.

Also here's the astrosmash giant bomb thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm24YfVpW_Q&t=8s

Concordat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 18, 2014

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Moola posted:

donkey kong for nes I think

but transport tycoon was the first game I really got into hardcore
everyone should have a randomly generated transport tycoon avatar

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
it was either some nascar game or some 101 dalmatians game. both of them owned

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003