Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I tip nicely because usually I get decent service and if nothing else I want to keep it that way (but it does make me feel better about myself too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I will tip less than HB 7s because I feel bad for them and will stiff everyone else. Especially guys. If the food sucks I will tip the server and then just leave. Cook better next time.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
I guess the lesson is not to eat at a restaurant if you're ever in Florida. The chefs can cum in people's food at will, and the way it's done is probably so haphazard that three or four plates of food for Regular Joes get cummed on in the crossfire of the cumming meant for The Cheapskate's food.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Klauser posted:

Sorry but I don't think I understand what you are saying here. I do pay for food, even if I don't enjoy it.

No I understood you just fine. I'm mocking you by taking an equally retarded stance and using your phrasing to enumerate it. Try to keep up.

As an alternative viewpoint, no sarcasm: Anytime I dine out with good service and the bill is under $100, I leave a 100% tip. Meaning I copy the amount from the total onto the tip line and add it up. It does a couple things for you: A) You get the satisfaction of doing something kind for a total stranger B) Any time you come back to that place, you get treated like a king. C) It makes eating out more expensive. Not so expensive that you can't have a little luxury now and then, but enough that you don't do it more than is healthy or responsible. You end up dining out just the right amount, and every time you do you have a loving excellent experience from staff who are genuinely happy to see you walk through the door.

The way I look at tipping is this: Will this server miss the tip more than I'll miss the extra buck or two? If so, just loving give them the little extra. It doesn't make a real difference in your bottom line (if it does you shouldn't be eating out in the first place) but it absolutely does make a difference in their ability to put food on the table and pay bills, and it makes an enormous difference in how they feel about their station in life. Serving is hard loving work, and lovely tippers/entitled douchebags make it difficult to stay positive, but small acts of kindness like that make a tremendous difference and make the job as a whole a lot easier to deal with.

I agree in general that restaurants should pay their employees a living wage instead of expecting customers to do it for them. Unfortunately, that's not how it works. The solution isn't to violate the social contract and take a poo poo on some of the hardest working people you'll ever meet. The solution is to remember that the people you encounter in life are human beings with the same amount of feelings and concerns that you have. They deserve dignity, and they deserve to be paid for the work they do. An extra $5 in your pocket is nice, I guess, but basing your lifestyle around compassion is a far richer reward.

Kelfeftaf posted:

I've always wondered at the ease with which chefs cum in stingy people's food. Do they keep dirty magazines in the kitchen?

It's not the chefs you have to worry about, it's the busboys. In their case, I'm pretty sure revenge alone gets them plenty hard.

the last signal... posted:

you sound like customer service is a high priority of your's

My tip average for patrons who dine with me at the bar is currently 26% of gross sales, so I'd say my guests agree with you. It helps that I pour a strong rear end drink

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hate when you tip in a jar and the fucker doesn't see it. gently caress you. gently caress YOU.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

Did you do a chargeback?

Well what was quite cool was that I didn't need to because the company advertised a 'no excuses' guarantee on all it's products and services on the website, and as such after requesting it customer services gave us a full refund which I asked for on the basis that we were left upset, hungry and out of pocket ($100 for an incomplete meal) on what should have been a special night. Was a little annoyed that the restaurant manager who I cc'd in on the email gave us the 'excuse' that needing adequate lighting for signing was an exceptional circumstance but let that one slide. I'm what you'd call a pain in the arse customer.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Crunk Abortion posted:

It's not the chefs you have to worry about, it's the busboys.[/spoiler]

Great. I get mistaken for a profligate cheapskate by a busboy who's nearly blind because of a darting accident, and I get cum in my food for no reason.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Kelfeftaf posted:

Great. I get mistaken for a profligate cheapskate by a busboy who's nearly blind because of a darting accident, and I get cum in my food for no reason.

I'd go over twelve percent for that.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Crunk Abortion posted:

Anytime I dine out with good service and the bill is under $100, I leave a 100% tip. Meaning I copy the amount from the total onto the tip line and add it up.

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp
Am i supposed to tip when I get a takeout six pack from a bar? I mean they already do a shitload of markup for convenience but am I supposed to throw in an extra buck for the bartender ringing me up?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Best post of the thread, hell in GBS.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
i tip if it's an immigrant, but not if it's an american teenager. also, if it's a black and he/she smiles i'll tip.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

one of those images is not like the others

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

It all depends on how hot the cashier is actually.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort, and I am only paid $4.50 an hour by the house. I'm the son of a bitch who has to handle you and your takeout order. When you place that order, I have to walk out of my bar, away from my paying customers, and go expo and package your food myself. In contrast, the people sitting at the bar? Kitchen staff plate their food and deliver it. So it's significantly more work for me to prepare a takeout order than it would be if you dined inside the restaurant.

Fun fact: To compensate for undeclared cash tips, my employer calculates my income taxes based on 15% of food sales, including takeout, rather than basing it on the tips I declare. So when you stiff me on a takeout order, I still have to pay income tax on the tip you didn't leave me. You're literally making me pay for the privilege of getting stiffed by you. This practice is blatantly illegal and immoral, and there is nothing anyone can do about it because a pissant food and beverage worker has no leverage to negotiate with a multi-national company who pulls in $500 million a year, especially when you have mandatory binding arbitration written into your employment contract.

If you can't afford to leave a tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant, and you need to take your broke, cheap rear end to a grocery store, food pantry, or soup kitchen, whichever fits your scenario. What you don't need to do is go and pick the loving pocket of someone who's busting their rear end to take care of you and feed you. I go out of my way to do great work, but I have my limits. If you stiff people on takeout orders, you're a subhuman piece of bipedal refuse, and you should make like the genie and kill yourself ASAP.

restaurant servers are the most lazy entitled piece of poo poo people. seriously. quit your stupid loving job and get a new one if you don't like it loser. sucks to be poor

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Like the chefs give a gently caress about tips...they actually get a real salary, so they don't need to be subsidized.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
lol at the GED restaurant worker making 4.50 an hour calling other people poor

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Vengeful Turtle posted:

Am i supposed to tip when I get a takeout six pack from a bar? I mean they already do a shitload of markup for convenience but am I supposed to throw in an extra buck for the bartender ringing me up?

I say no, but the shame never washes off. What if you go back for a burger and fries? :ohdear:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bigzak posted:

lol at the GED restaurant worker making 4.50 an hour calling other people poor

also lol at his hard work of putting styrofoam boxes into a bag. such invaluable service

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
my rule of thumb is i only tip people who bring me more to drink if they see my drink is empty

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Wait, he's saying more work goes into him putting plastic utensils and napkins in a bag than a line cook to cook the food, then plate it nicely, and then deliver the food to his customers at the bar?

All while making more than 20% per check?

WTF? This bartender is lazy as gently caress.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Crunk Abortion posted:

As an alternative viewpoint, no sarcasm: Anytime I dine out with good service and the bill is under $100, I leave a 100% tip. Meaning I copy the amount from the total onto the tip line and add it up. It does a couple things for you: A) You get the satisfaction of doing something kind for a total stranger B) Any time you come back to that place, you get treated like a king. C) It makes eating out more expensive. Not so expensive that you can't have a little luxury now and then, but enough that you don't do it more than is healthy or responsible. You end up dining out just the right amount, and every time you do you have a loving excellent experience from staff who are genuinely happy to see you walk through the door.
It is absolutely insane to leave a $40 tip on a $40 meal. Why on earth would you throw around that much tip money when you're talking about how difficult it is to live on tips a post earlier? I make a comfortable salary and only feel obligated to adhere to social norms.

Also - this is an interesting read on our lovely tipping culture.
http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/the-gratuitous-injustice-of-american-tipping-culture-1608009017

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Crunk Abortion posted:

No I understood you just fine. I'm mocking you by taking an equally retarded stance and using your phrasing to enumerate it. Try to keep up.

I didn't say you didn't understand me, although now I'm pretty sure you don't. I tip for the service I am getting when I go out to eat. When I get take out, I need to plate the food, serve myself drinks and whatever else goes along with the meal like napkins and silverware, and clean up the mess. These are a lot of the things I consider a value I get when I sit down and eat at a restaurant.

It sounds to me like you tip for a different reason than I do. To make someone feel good, to make someone like you and treat you better the next time you go there, or to keep your dining out habits in check.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Drunkboxer posted:

also lol at his hard work of putting styrofoam boxes into a bag. such invaluable service

Ugh, look at all the scrub non-plats posting in this thread. Way to go OP, the dirt people love your post.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I usually tip around 10% on takeout. Part of tipping is for the food preparation. It's not just the service.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I usually tip around 10% on takeout. Part of tipping is for the food preparation. It's not just the service.

Interesting. What do you mean by food preparation though? The plating, or the people actually making the food, or what?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Waltzing Along posted:

Food preparation is covered by the "price you pay for the food". Stop wasting your money. If you're just a charitable type, there's lots of organizations that could use your money.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Klauser posted:

Interesting. What do you mean by food preparation though? The plating, or the people actually making the food, or what?

When you sit down to eat at a restaurant, part of what you are tipping for is the cook who made your food. The waitresses usually tip out the busboys and the cooks.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

When you sit down to eat at a restaurant, part of what you are tipping for is the cook who made your food. The waitresses usually tip out the busboys and the cooks.

But what if the food is lovely? I'm not going to pay extra if I feel that the food I'm eating is of a far lesser value than the price I paid. When that happens by paying full price I am essentially providing a 'tip'.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
dEPENDS ON HOW the takeout person or staff are getting paid. Tipping is essentially a way for restaurants to trick you into paying for their staffs to work, depending no the joint, they may be trying to avoid paying fair wages to the people who deal with the takeout too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

But what if the food is lovely? I'm not going to pay extra if I feel that the food I'm eating is of a far lesser value than the price I paid. When that happens by paying full price I am essentially providing a 'tip'.

It's a gamble.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
only on holidays

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Forgive my ignorance if this is 100% true, but I'm not sure it is, and situations may vary. As stated before, I feel like the price of the food includes the preparation.

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I don't think 'when the bill comes' is the time to voice your dissatisfaction. The goods have been provided and the service has been rendered, no matter what you think of the quality. If you really feel strongly enough about your experience to not want to pay for it, just don't go back.

Klauser fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 15, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm convinced. I am not going to tip any more. At all. In fact, I am going to try to pay less and play it off like I didn't notice.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
When I was in the US taxi drivers expected a tip, please explain why I should give them extra money for doing their job of driving me the fastest route from one place to another? Also barmen/ladies expected tips why should I tip someone for reaching into a fridge and handing me a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale?

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
i tip the fat cow behind the counter over.

also called cow tipping..

hahah, fatties.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

When I was in the US taxi drivers expected a tip, please explain why I should give them extra money for doing their job of driving me the fastest route from one place to another? Also barmen/ladies expected tips why should I tip someone for reaching into a fridge and handing me a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale?

Because America is horribly broken. Everything is based on making money and profit. So the people at the bottom are constantly poo poo on.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I tip cab drivers $2 flat, unless they deliver a baby on the way or something.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Waltzing Along posted:

Because America is horribly broken. Everything is based on making money and profit. So the people at the bottom are constantly poo poo on.

pretty much.

I guess the idea originated that if your driver was actually really good, cautiously, and got you someplace quick then you would pay him more than some really crappy middleeastern guy who gets you nearly killed at every intersection and/or drives around in circles clocking it up. which makes sense. It just got turned into some way to give people bare lovely wages.

same thing for bartenders. if they actually put time+knew their poo poo into loading up a good drink then you give them a little extra. generally this is still the case so it's worth it to tip your bartender and you'll make up for it in free booze+better drinks.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
I tip my Turkish barber because he always offers me a coffee, puts a golden cape around me, asks if I want any 'foodge' or 'wax' on it, trims my eyebrow hair if required.

• Locked thread