Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
i work at a fancy restaurant at a very nice resort hotel. most people dont tip for takeout, but some leave a few dollars. its very very rare for someone to leave 20% unless its on just a coffee or something. the tip goes to the hostess who makes $8/hr otherwise.

some people get takeout and eat it in their room so they dont have to pay a 20% room service delivery fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Shrinkage posted:

I tip only when the cook can see me tip so I get larger servings as a regular.

Make sure to smile at the cook when you tip so they know whats up.

i tell my chefs which customers dont tip.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort,

sup 4 diamond resort buddy :hfive:

keys, colorado, or elsewhere?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

that's cool, i work in an office and make a crazier amount of taxed money, so much that i can give it away as tips

i mean its soulsucking and i have no stories to tell except the one time i got a cube by the window but someone kept closing the blinds

oh thats cool i use the money i receive as tips to purchase goods and services provided by the company that employs you as well.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Klauser posted:

Forgive my ignorance if this is 100% true, but I'm not sure it is, and situations may vary. As stated before, I feel like the price of the food includes the preparation.

Your tip pays the wage of the servers (or the host if it's a usual takeout), who tip out the busboys, (other) hosts and expos based on a percentage of their sales (not the tips). The price of the food prep is what it is because the restaurant doesn't have to pay any of the front of house staff a real living wage. It sucks but that's America and it's a weird libertarian system that we'll never get over.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Dude, you live in a loving fantasy world. The vast majority of people, if they had to tip at your fantasy rates, would just avoid eating out altogether and lots of places would close down.

Which would actually be good I think, since so many servers seem content to get rammed up the rear end by their boss, and are still dumb enough to get mad at the customers instead.

You are not wrong, "pants on head retarted" is exactly what tipping is in America. Employers are cheap, and their employees, apparently, have no loving dignity and are dumb as a post, so they blame the wrong people. It's a pretty American system in both it's execution and levels of selfish ignorance required to maintain it.

I mean look at Crunk Abortion in this thread, if he's not trolling, he is so dependent on tips, he seems to think they should be large enough for him to live off of entirely. He is clearly blind to the sheer idiocy and madness of this. Even though he admits his employer is loving him over and largely taking advantage of him

Ahhh no tipping system is going to be an adequate way to compensate for a lack of a health care.

It's really loving sad and pathetic to see servers push back the hardest when you mention trying to get their bosses to pay them fairly instead of tips.

These dumb fuckers.

You are blaming the wrong people. Yeah, it's the waiters fault for not enacting Full Communism Now. It's the bartender who is too stupid to do any better. Why don't they all just quit and start a new system, huh?? pants-on-head retards i tell ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Cesar Cedeno posted:

No I fully blame the greedy restaurant owners and our lovely society that lets them get away with robbery of what are generally some of the poorer more vulnerable people in society.

I do tip for a good waiter, but I loving hate the notion that tipping is somehow mandatory. It's not like most people eating out are loaded these days ether. I don't eat out often, but I sometime you have to go out with friends and such, and I can't afford much of a tip sadly.

The attitude that tipping is mandatory is pretty arrogant and foolish.

It's just sad and frustrating to see so many servers vehemently defend a system that treats them like such poo poo and pays them even less.

tipping isnt mandatory but neither is being a nice person. you're welcome to be as big of an rear end in a top hat as you would like to be.
i consistently get 20% tips and make pretty decent money, but i feel awful for the waitresses at Waffle House and tip them out at least 50%

• Locked thread