Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort, and I am only paid $4.50 an hour by the house. I'm the son of a bitch who has to handle you and your takeout order. When you place that order, I have to walk out of my bar, away from my paying customers, and go expo and package your food myself. In contrast, the people sitting at the bar? Kitchen staff plate their food and deliver it. So it's significantly more work for me to prepare a takeout order than it would be if you dined inside the restaurant.

Fun fact: To compensate for undeclared cash tips, my employer calculates my income taxes based on 15% of food sales, including takeout, rather than basing it on the tips I declare. So when you stiff me on a takeout order, I still have to pay income tax on the tip you didn't leave me. You're literally making me pay for the privilege of getting stiffed by you. This practice is blatantly illegal and immoral, and there is nothing anyone can do about it because a pissant food and beverage worker has no leverage to negotiate with a multi-national company who pulls in $500 million a year, especially when you have mandatory binding arbitration written into your employment contract.

If you can't afford to leave a tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant, and you need to take your broke, cheap rear end to a grocery store, food pantry, or soup kitchen, whichever fits your scenario. What you don't need to do is go and pick the loving pocket of someone who's busting their rear end to take care of you and feed you. I go out of my way to do great work, but I have my limits. If you stiff people on takeout orders, you're a subhuman piece of bipedal refuse, and you should make like the genie and kill yourself ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

sup 4 diamond resort buddy :hfive:

keys, colorado, or elsewhere?

North florida.

The Belgian posted:

have you considered union/lawsuit/quit in that order?

Right to work state/binding arbitration clause/bills

Klauser posted:

For me it's not about being able to afford it or not, and again, when I eat at a restaurant, I do tip. We do disagree on WHY a tip should be left. I leave a tip for being waited on while I enjoy a meal, not because I feel like I need to supplement your low wage. The onus of paying you properly really shouldn't fall on the customer and I think your anger is misdirected there.

I don't pay for food when I dine out at a restaurant. I wait until the server leaves, then exit the building after I've eaten. I pay for food sometimes that I enjoy, but I don't feel like I need to supplement the bottom line of establishments that I visit.

Also just as a public service announcement to cheapskates: If you stiff a server who didn't gently caress up catastrophically, don't come back, because I guarantee the next time you get food, someone will have performed unspeakable sex acts on your dinner.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Klauser posted:

Sorry but I don't think I understand what you are saying here. I do pay for food, even if I don't enjoy it.

No I understood you just fine. I'm mocking you by taking an equally retarded stance and using your phrasing to enumerate it. Try to keep up.

As an alternative viewpoint, no sarcasm: Anytime I dine out with good service and the bill is under $100, I leave a 100% tip. Meaning I copy the amount from the total onto the tip line and add it up. It does a couple things for you: A) You get the satisfaction of doing something kind for a total stranger B) Any time you come back to that place, you get treated like a king. C) It makes eating out more expensive. Not so expensive that you can't have a little luxury now and then, but enough that you don't do it more than is healthy or responsible. You end up dining out just the right amount, and every time you do you have a loving excellent experience from staff who are genuinely happy to see you walk through the door.

The way I look at tipping is this: Will this server miss the tip more than I'll miss the extra buck or two? If so, just loving give them the little extra. It doesn't make a real difference in your bottom line (if it does you shouldn't be eating out in the first place) but it absolutely does make a difference in their ability to put food on the table and pay bills, and it makes an enormous difference in how they feel about their station in life. Serving is hard loving work, and lovely tippers/entitled douchebags make it difficult to stay positive, but small acts of kindness like that make a tremendous difference and make the job as a whole a lot easier to deal with.

I agree in general that restaurants should pay their employees a living wage instead of expecting customers to do it for them. Unfortunately, that's not how it works. The solution isn't to violate the social contract and take a poo poo on some of the hardest working people you'll ever meet. The solution is to remember that the people you encounter in life are human beings with the same amount of feelings and concerns that you have. They deserve dignity, and they deserve to be paid for the work they do. An extra $5 in your pocket is nice, I guess, but basing your lifestyle around compassion is a far richer reward.

Kelfeftaf posted:

I've always wondered at the ease with which chefs cum in stingy people's food. Do they keep dirty magazines in the kitchen?

It's not the chefs you have to worry about, it's the busboys. In their case, I'm pretty sure revenge alone gets them plenty hard.

the last signal... posted:

you sound like customer service is a high priority of your's

My tip average for patrons who dine with me at the bar is currently 26% of gross sales, so I'd say my guests agree with you. It helps that I pour a strong rear end drink

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Kelfeftaf posted:

in the US you tip your taxi driver, you tip your waiter, you tip your bartender, you tip your barber. if you don't do these things, you're an rear end in a top hat.

This right here. This is what a normal person who isn't a basement dwelling asperger patient on the internet does.

Civil posted:

It is absolutely insane to leave a $40 tip on a $40 meal. Why on earth would you throw around that much tip money when you're talking about how difficult it is to live on tips a post earlier? I make a comfortable salary and only feel obligated to adhere to social norms.

It's called "generosity", try it some time. I make good tips because I'm loving awesome at my job. I also do private events on my own time to help out with cashflow. I'm not exactly starving, because I'm smart with money and I work my rear end off.

As it stands, I don't eat out very much. But to go to a bar, order a $5 drink and give the bartender a ten ain't gonna break me, you, or anyone who should be out drinking. If I'm going to sit down and eat a meal, it's usually a special occasion, and I budget for them (and the tip) accordingly.

I fail to see how a $40 tip is insanity, but you'll drop $10 to register and another $5 for an avatar on a comedy forum. Me? I've spent $40 on way dumber poo poo than making another human being's life tangibly less awful, even if for a brief moment.

Cesar Cedeno posted:

lmao I love this backward loving logic. look how loving mad you are at the completely wrong people.

"My lovely employer is basically robbing me, and values me so little as a human being that he does not pay me enough to even barely survive. YOU loving CUSTOMERS BETTER TIP ME, HOLY poo poo YOU FUCKERS ARE CHEAP ASSHOLES! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

Restaurant owners have a brilliant scam going. Make your customers pay your employees for you, and if they don't make sure your employees get mad at the customers for their poverty.

It works so loving well it is amazing, the biggest con job in America.

Could you possibly be any more of a walking Objectivist punchline? Maybe say something about "bootstraps" in there?

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

I lived in new York for a while, I sit down to eat a meal because I need to eat food and was out 6 nights a week so a 100%+ tip on all services is absolute loving madness.
you live in a very particular bubble not many others also inhabit, most people go out a lot and tip a little rather than save all their cash to bring Christmas to a student once a month

I'm not saying it's a lifestyle choice everyone can or should adopt. It fits the situation I'm in in my life right now. My point is, if my prole rear end can tip 100%, there's no reason to not be a dick and at least leave 20% (unless they gave poo poo service, then it's fair game IMO)

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Cesar Cedeno posted:

No I fully blame the greedy restaurant owners and our lovely society that lets them get away with robbery of what are generally some of the poorer more vulnerable people in society.

I do tip for a good waiter, but I loving hate the notion that tipping is somehow mandatory. It's not like most people eating out are loaded these days ether. I don't eat out often, but I sometime you have to go out with friends and such, and I can't afford much of a tip sadly.

The attitude that tipping is mandatory is pretty arrogant and foolish.

It's just sad and frustrating to see so many servers vehemently defend a system that treats them like such poo poo and pays them even less.

I'm not defending the system, the system is hosed. My employer should pay us all a living wage, this is absolutely true. What I'm doing is calling you out for being a degenerate. If you can't afford to leave a tip even though the service was good, your answer to your friends should be "sorry I can't afford to go out to eat right now". What's arrogant and foolish is for you to expect another human being to literally be your servant for free, and heap scorn on them for not seeing that as your inherent right because you're "not loaded" these days, so you shouldn't have to pay them, your servant. If you're not loaded, cook your own god drat food. You wouldn't hire a maid to clean your home and then refuse to pay them. Those are both luxuries. If you can't afford your luxuries, modify your lifestyle or budget. The only "insanity" in this thread is that people expect people who make less than $5 an hour to gratefully subsidize luxuries that they claim they can't otherwise afford. If you need welfare money from the pocketbooks of working Americans in order to eat, go get a loving EBT card.

Here's an experiment. If you really have the conviction to back up your bluster, next time you go to a restaurant with your friends, inform your waitress that regardless of food quality and service, you won't be leaving much of a tip because you're not that loaded right now, and see how your dining experience goes. If you're going to be a stingy rear end in a top hat don't also be a coward too. Own your bullshit.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Dude if this is really how you see yourself, as a literal loving servant, you need a new job and some loving self-respect.

Did lowtax let you pay for your registration with food stamps? I know you're having a hard time right now. You should start waiting tables, I'll leave you a big tip so you can afford plat.

Crunk Abortion fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 16, 2014

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Dude. Sazeracs. Mmmmmmmmmm.

I ran a drink special the other day that was a mishmash of an absinthe drip, a Sazerac, and a Vesper. So loving good.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

TOILETLORD posted:

just eat at the bar and tip the bartender directly, for best service.

This is the secret to free drinks. The last time I went out I was drinking high end tequilas all night and my server comped my alcohol in its entirety, charging me only for my entree. Feels good, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Professor Tomtom posted:

The help is beneath me.

Does anyone have a bandage? I seem to have cut myself on this edgy post!

• Locked thread