Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Here's a question - how large would the Death Star Mark 1 be in the relative scale used in Armada? Is this even possible to create within a similar scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

SageNytell posted:

Here's a question - how large would the Death Star Mark 1 be in the relative scale used in Armada? Is this even possible to create within a similar scale?

If a VCSD mk1 is 3 inches long, at about 1km long real length, a Death Star 1 would be 30 feet in diameter at 120km wide. Death Star II was even bigger.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

alg posted:

If a VCSD mk1 is 3 inches long, at about 1km long real length, a Death Star 1 would be 30 feet in diameter at 120km wide. Death Star II was even bigger.

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo. Death Star segments as playmats, then? That's never coming into the game itself, which is lousy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

SageNytell posted:

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo. Death Star segments as playmats, then? That's never coming into the game itself, which is lousy.

X-Wing play variant: Prevent Luke Skywalker's X-Wing from reaching the end of the map.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Im planning an X-Wing event at my place.

We will be playing on a 4 x 8 table, at one side will be this

But the top and bottom will have the rounded parts as well so it will be a 4/5 circle, and the rebels will start at the opposite table, we are playing a super epic game, 4 Tantives 3 transports a ton of YTs, and countless fighters, against an empire armada, with station laser turrets and 4 Devastators.

I don't care if the scale isn't right, it will be awesome.

Edit:

Here are the top and bottom sets and one of the Laser turrets.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I've become convinced that Fantasy Flight and GMT Games want all my money.

The worst part is I know I'm gonna spend the money on Armada for both factions so I know I'll have people to play with. drat like I wasn't already behind of the Wings of Glory World War One planes .

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Armada is up on Miniature Market now.

Star Wars: Armada - Core Set (Preorder)
Be the first to review this product
Availability: In stock

Regular Price: $99.95
SPECIAL PRICE: $68.97

Only 70 bones!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Armada is up on Miniature Market now.

Star Wars: Armada - Core Set (Preorder)
Be the first to review this product
Availability: In stock

Regular Price: $99.95
SPECIAL PRICE: $68.97

Only 70 bones!

CSI want's a dollar less! 67.99 :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
We got a preview article for Empire vs Rebellion. I've not played anything like it, so I have no idea what a good comparison is...but it looks pretty interesting!

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

jivjov posted:

We got a preview article for Empire vs Rebellion. I've not played anything like it, so I have no idea what a good comparison is...but it looks pretty interesting!

It's a reskinning of this game: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24742/cold-war-cia-vs-kgb

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Which is basically 'Advanced Blackjack for two people.' It's filler game, but one I've enjoyed. I don't have CIA v. KGB anymore, so I might pick it up.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I grabbed a copy from my FLGS owner, who got two of them at GenCon. "Advanced Blackjack for two people" is about right. It's simple but fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got a big preview article about Armada today over at FFG's website. I cannot wait to get my hands on the starter box!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The first local place I've seen put it up for preorder listed it at $140 Australian dollars, which isn't exactly small change

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, FFG's wargame stuff is somewhat insanely expensive. It's pretty, but no chance I'd pick it up at retail pricing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm not terribly familiar with Descent, so I'm wondering: would it possible that it will be in scale with the old WotC Star Wars miniatures?

(And I guess those guys are probably kicking themselves for not keeping hold of the licence)

The Watch
Feb 10, 2014

He won't see the sun again for years to come...

He's posting on Something Awful
Megamarm
Armada looks really cool. The preview makes it look like the mechanics are really going to emphasize the size and lack of maneuverability of these ships. I really wanted Star Destroyers to play with in the Xwing game, but knew the size issues meant that would never happen, so this is really exciting news for me.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
You know I thought Star Destroyers were a specific type of ship. I didn't realize there were more than just 'Star Destroyers'. Either way I already have paid for Armada and I am pumped as hell.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Watch posted:

Armada looks really cool. The preview makes it look like the mechanics are really going to emphasize the size and lack of maneuverability of these ships. I really wanted Star Destroyers to play with in the Xwing game, but knew the size issues meant that would never happen, so this is really exciting news for me.

They'll be about twice the size of the Victory, so about the size of the corvette model in X-wing, and that's only if they are real sticklers for keeping the same scale for everything, which they've already proven not to be. I think the chances of our seeing the ISD and Mon Cal cruisers is good, assuming the base set sells well.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

You know I thought Star Destroyers were a specific type of ship. I didn't realize there were more than just 'Star Destroyers'. Either way I already have paid for Armada and I am pumped as hell.

Various authors have taken different directions with it. The most common view currently is that star destroyer is just a general weight class of ship without any kind of ethical burden attached, as the old republic had star destroyers before imperial times. But some authors have put out things like 'the new republic named its big ships star defenders because star destroyers sounded too eeeevul', which doesn't match with star destroyer just being a ship class.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Valatar posted:

Various authors have taken different directions with it. The most common view currently is that star destroyer is just a general weight class of ship without any kind of ethical burden attached, as the old republic had star destroyers before imperial times. But some authors have put out things like 'the new republic named its big ships star defenders because star destroyers sounded too eeeevul', which doesn't match with star destroyer just being a ship class.

Because apparently naming something after a real class of naval vessels is 'too eeeevul' but Star Cruisers are totally fine.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The real crime is that a Star Destroyer has nothing in common with a naval destroyer in terms of role. :colbert:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Going to buy so much of that Armada stuff. It's got my usual group excited as hell and they basically ignored X-wing.

Are those Imperial Assault miniatures 28mm? I hope they were smart enough to make them that scale...

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Has there been any info on what the Skirmish rules are that come with Imperial Assault? I can dream of a tabletop skirmish game, but I am willing to bet its just 1v1 on their tiled game board.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Corbeau posted:

The real crime is that a Star Destroyer has nothing in common with a naval destroyer in terms of role. :colbert:

The Fantasy Flight RPG has a list of ship classifications. According to them it goes corvette, frigate, cruiser, heavy cruiser, star destroyer, battlecruiser, dreadnought. Star destroyers have always seemed to be the battleship class in everything I've ever seen of Star Wars, so why battlecruisers are bigger is a mystery to me. But several ships listed as battlecruisers are three or four times bigger than most star destroyers, so someone over there clearly has a somewhat hosed up concept of what a battlecruiser is supposed to be. Although if you really sit back and think about it, the system in general just plain doesn't work. Naval role warfare really sort of breaks down when one side's strategy consists of "throw hundreds of mile-long ships with the firepower to level cities at the target". Nobody's going to be thinking, "Wow, I sure am glad we had these five frigates handy to screen our flank from the thirty star destroyers. They really turned the tide." Smaller ships are going to have a tricky time performing any specialized combat role when they all get blown away by turbolasers within the first five minutes of a fight.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5112

:swoon:

Gonna scan the heck out of those tiles for my RPG, too

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The first wave of expansions(?) for Imperial Assault have been announced. I'm a little confused on the business model here...all these characters are in the base game box, but just as tokens, and then these packs replace the tokens with unpainted plastic minis, and also come with a little side scenario?

I wonder if there will be any purchase option to just get the scenarios without the minis, for people who are fine with tokens.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
No, the expansion packs have characters that aren't in the Core game which does have minis. Well, except the AT-ST is both in the base set and an expansion pack, but anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

No, the expansion packs have characters that aren't in the Core game which does have minis. Well, except the AT-ST is both in the base set and an expansion pack, but anyway.

According to the article, "these new figure packs contain detailed plastic figures to replace the tokens provided in the Core Set."

So the minis are to replace tokens of characters that are already in the box. And I can't see anything in the article suggesting that the packs come with any unique characters other than the Rebel Saboteurs which are described as "new allies"

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
drat, you're right. I read the article twice but somehow skipped over that line. And when I checked the Core set description page, all the images etc had pictures of totally different minis than the ones in the first expansion wave, so I thought that my explanation makes sense.

But yeah, it seems like a pretty weird business model.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

drat, you're right. I read the article twice but somehow skipped over that line. And when I checked the Core set description page, all the images etc had pictures of totally different minis than the ones in the first expansion wave, so I thought that my explanation makes sense.

But yeah, it seems like a pretty weird business model.

It's kind of what the board game Eclipse did -- the base game has the same ship models for every player in different colors of plastic. You can get the expansion that has new, unique ship models with some other new components for the game.

It also allows them to set the base game at a lower price point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly I'd be all over the expansions if the minis were painted. They do it for X-Wing and keep expansions to $15 for a ship, a handful of cards, and tokens, why not for the board game?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's the exact same business model they use for Descent. I only know a few die-hards who bother to buy those upgrade packs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's the exact same business model they use for Descent. I only know a few die-hards who bother to buy those upgrade packs.

With unpainted minis, its gonna depend on how cool/fun the expansion scenarios are

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I completely forgot that Imperial Assault is also supposed to be an actual minis skirmish wargame so it makes sense to sell more characters and troops for that, too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Man those minis look amazing. Gonna be hard to resist wasting money on them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Swagger Dagger posted:

I completely forgot that Imperial Assault is also supposed to be an actual minis skirmish wargame so it makes sense to sell more characters and troops for that, too.

I haven't been following ImpAss (teehee) news that much...are they seriously trying to have a 'campaign driven' board game experience and a freeform skirmish game? I'm starting to think this is gonna end up being a muddled product that's trying to do too much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like FFG is continuing their trend of only including enough dice to make sure their game is technically playable and not giving a drat about edge cases or late-game...as a dice pack for Imperial Assault has also been announced today.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

jivjov posted:

I haven't been following ImpAss (teehee) news that much...are they seriously trying to have a 'campaign driven' board game experience and a freeform skirmish game? I'm starting to think this is gonna end up being a muddled product that's trying to do too much.

I really want to be excited about Imperial Assault but this is one of the big concerns I have. Also, I have already invested too much in probably bad dungeon crawl games (curse you kickstarter)

I'm also having trouble finding images that provide some scale for the Armada miniatures. About how large is the Star Destroyer miniature it comes with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Are those expansions gonna be $15 each for 1 figure or whatever like X-wing? Ill prob skip it then.