Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
When Fantasy Flight Games picked up the Star Wars gaming license they launched 3 game lines; the X-Wing miniatures, the Edge of the Empire RPG, and the Star Wars LCG. Now, the RPG line has expanded out into 3 core games, each with their own supplements, the X-Wing minis game is on its 5th wave of expansion packs, and the LCG has a good handful of cycle packs and boxed expansions.

But over the last few weeks, and culminating at Gen Con 2014, FFG has been wildly expanding their Star Wars gaming offerings. The big three things we know about now are:

Armada

In a nutshell, Armada is X-Wing writ large. Snubfighters are represented by the squadron using a single game piece and the primary scale of conflict is capital ships.

Using this fancy maneuvering tool, Star Wars Armada aims to accurately represent the lumbering inertia of gigantic capital ships, compared to the nimble banks and turns of snubfighters in X-Wing.

We also got glimpses of the first wave of expansion content for Armada; looks like they're using a similar model to X-Wing.

Empire vs. Rebellion

Empire vs. Rebellion is a more traditional head-to-head card game for two players, pitting the war machine of the Empire against the plucky rag-tag Rebellion using a variety of cards

Imperial Assault

Inspired by the rule-set of Descent, this board game offers two different styles of play, a multi-mission cinematic campaign and head-to-head skirmishes. With loads of miniatures and map tiles, this is gonna be a big one.

Star Wars: Rebellion

Some manner of Star Wars Grand Strategy game? Said to be asymmetric, comes with over 150 plastic minis, has a huge 2-part board. This looks...intense. (Looks like its similar in scope to War of the Ring?)

Other Links

Star Wars Threads: X-Wing, Star Wars LCG, FFG Star Wars RPG Lines.

Fantasy Flight Games Homepage

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Reserved in case I need a second post

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Regardless of if I collect/play Armada (spoiler: I loving will), I'm getting a Gladiator or two. My favorite underused Star Destroyer design.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

7thBatallion posted:

Sup, Gladiator buddy? You'll need a Victory as well, if you want to keep proper formation. Having a Nebulon B wouldn't hurt either, seeing as at the time the Gladiator was flying around, the Empire still controlled the majority of its Frigate fleet..

Oh god, what have you done. Welp, looks like I'm buying everything then. Are you an FFG plant?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I thought I was a huge star wars sperg since I read all the books and played xwing and tie fighter. What the hell is a gladiator and where is it from?

A couple episodes of the old Droids cartoon series (the one with THE DREAD PIRATE KYBO REN!), and Force Unleashed 2.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can feel the complaints about variety in the X-Wing core box...but FFG is always trying to balance "Having a bunch of cool stuff in the core box" and "Keeping the core box at an affordable, casual-buy-in, price point". That's why you frequently have to buy multiples of their card game boxes/packs to have a complete tournament playset.

That's honestly why I'm surprised that the Armada starter box is so expensive.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Paragon8 posted:

An ISD is still going to be bananas at Armada's scale. Probably be like 60 bucks too.

If its anywhere near in-scale it's gonna be the size of the Tantive and probably be closer to $100

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm not sure where all the cool Mon Cal ships are...maybe they're having trouble sculpting the Mon Cal bumpy hulls and having them look good?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm yet to start getting into these games, but I want both X-wing and Armada :( Should I just choose one or is it worth going after X-wing right now?

Well, Armada isn't gonna be out for a while yet, so if you want to move some plastic ships around right now, go with X-Wing. Its a drat solid game and has all sorts of ships out for it, so you can cherrypick whatever list tickles your fancy and just buy that and have some fun before Armada hits.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We got a preview article for Empire vs Rebellion. I've not played anything like it, so I have no idea what a good comparison is...but it looks pretty interesting!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got a big preview article about Armada today over at FFG's website. I cannot wait to get my hands on the starter box!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The first wave of expansions(?) for Imperial Assault have been announced. I'm a little confused on the business model here...all these characters are in the base game box, but just as tokens, and then these packs replace the tokens with unpainted plastic minis, and also come with a little side scenario?

I wonder if there will be any purchase option to just get the scenarios without the minis, for people who are fine with tokens.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

No, the expansion packs have characters that aren't in the Core game which does have minis. Well, except the AT-ST is both in the base set and an expansion pack, but anyway.

According to the article, "these new figure packs contain detailed plastic figures to replace the tokens provided in the Core Set."

So the minis are to replace tokens of characters that are already in the box. And I can't see anything in the article suggesting that the packs come with any unique characters other than the Rebel Saboteurs which are described as "new allies"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly I'd be all over the expansions if the minis were painted. They do it for X-Wing and keep expansions to $15 for a ship, a handful of cards, and tokens, why not for the board game?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's the exact same business model they use for Descent. I only know a few die-hards who bother to buy those upgrade packs.

With unpainted minis, its gonna depend on how cool/fun the expansion scenarios are

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Swagger Dagger posted:

I completely forgot that Imperial Assault is also supposed to be an actual minis skirmish wargame so it makes sense to sell more characters and troops for that, too.

I haven't been following ImpAss (teehee) news that much...are they seriously trying to have a 'campaign driven' board game experience and a freeform skirmish game? I'm starting to think this is gonna end up being a muddled product that's trying to do too much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like FFG is continuing their trend of only including enough dice to make sure their game is technically playable and not giving a drat about edge cases or late-game...as a dice pack for Imperial Assault has also been announced today.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

zVxTeflon posted:

Are those expansions gonna be $15 each for 1 figure or whatever like X-wing? Ill prob skip it then.

I really hope that since the minis are unpainted they're a little closer to $9.99 or so.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Han $9.95
Chewbacca $9.95
Royal Guard Campion $9.95
IG-88 $9.95
General Weiss (can also be a regular AT-ST) $19.99
Rebel Troopers $14.95
Reble Saboteurs $12.95

I'd be perfectly okay with these price points. I mean, I'm a completionist. I'm gonna get them all anyway (provided I enjoy the base game at least a little bit), but I'm glad they aren't charging X-Wing dollars for lower quality minis.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
According to this new news post on FFG's site the Empire vs Rebellion card game is now officially available! I've really been looking forward to this one after hearing the reports from GenCon...I hope I can get my wife into this one better than the LCG.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LumberingTroll posted:

Its pretty bullshit that its released in europe and not in the states.

Pretty sure it just hasn't arrived yet; would you have preferred them to just sit on the ones that are currently in Europe until they could sell them worldwide?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

And what would be gained by that?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

blackmongoose posted:

There really isn't much out there from the films beyond what's in Wave 1, especially if they don't want to compromise too much on scale. From the films for the Imperials, you've got ISDs, which would be gigantic, and the Executor, which would be a table to play on, not a ship. All the Rebels have left from the films are transports and MonCals (also too big). Everything else is around fighter scale.

Presumably there will be a lot of EU stuff due to this issue, though I'm not sure how the new Disney policy will affect that. I'd expect to see Carracks, Lancers, and Dreadnoughts most likely for the Imperials and stuff from video games mostly for the Rebels since even the books don't give them a lot of unique capital ships. I do wonder if it was a mistake to go at Victory scale since there's a lot more big ships out there than medium ships, probably because writers think they're cooler to write. ISD-MonCal would have been a solid, recognizable starter set and you could include Victory's and Nebulon-B's as small ships to round out a force.

Doubtful that the Disney thing will affect them at all. FFG has put out books that bear the Disney logo on the back, but still have old Legends EU stuff in them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm honestly just surprised the newer supplements don't have a Legends banner on the cover. Maybe Disney is making all those species and planets part of the new canon? Since it's mostly plot points that would get overwritten by new stuff. Or maybe I'm just thinking too hard about it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I preordered from Amazon, I hope they honor the price...

Amazon always gives you the lowest price over the life of your preorder.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

zVxTeflon posted:

One thing that irks me with ImpAss is the campaign books mission layout on each page. I wish it was separated better instead of just a clump of bullet points with random poo poo the rebel player is allowed to know scattered around. Also this poo poo is written like a friggin legal document. Is it just me?

Fantasy Flight rule books are never the most organized things...they have a really bad habit of formatting everything as a teaching exercise that introduces you to points one at a time....which is fantastic for learning how to play but terrible for future lookups and rule checks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Star Wars Dice app got an update adding Armada and Imperial Assault dice. Nice to see the support continuing there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Obama 2012 posted:

Is it worth $5? I thought about picking it up, but was appalled (APPALLED I SAY!) that they were asking that much when I can get most complete games for, like, $1.99.

Also, is using it for X-Wing considered 'tournament legal'?

Eh, "worth it" is really subjective, based on how you feel about digital dice in general; I personally really prefer tactile dice, but I did get some use out of the app before I got my 2nd X-Wing core set/extra RPG dice.

It's a well designed app, has a bit of Star Wars-y flavor to it, so it's not a ripoff by any means.

And yeah, if you're using the official app, I believe that it's tourney legal. (Although like the other goon said, probably not preferred/ideal).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

gently caress yea

Please please please please please please let them release a new model X-Wing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Fantasy Flight just posted a statement about the port delays and the like, citing the following products as delayed:

• Rogue Squadron cycle for Star Wars™: The Card Game
  • Fly Casual supplement for Edge of the Empire
  • First wave of Imperial Assault Ally Packs and Villain Packs
  • The Lost Realm deluxe expansion for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
  • Star Wars: Armada Core Set
  • Star Wars: Armada Dice Pack

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I like that they're bringing the Imperial Raider into other product lines. Can't wait to get RPG stats for it too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CoolStuffInc

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Imperial Assault; I've finally got around to picking up a copy and since I haven't really been keeping up on the news, I have no idea what the recommended "buy order" for the expansion stuff is. Can I play through the stuff from the core box and add in the expansions later? Or should I pick up some expansions before I start playing?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, and other than "Make sure you read the Rebel players everything in the mission briefing" are there any other Newbie traps I should know about ahead of time?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

FFG revealed the wave 7 stuff for X-Wing at Gencon, and it heavily featured ships from Star Wars Rebels, so I'm guessing we're gonna see some Armada entries from that in wave 3 or 4 - the Pelta command frigate (medium), Gozanti class cruiser (small), Ghost as part of a second Rogues and Villains squadron pack

Small point of correction, that was Wave 8 that got revealed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Judge me by my size, do you?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Geisladisk posted:

This is reflected in the X-Wing game with Wedge having a pilot skill of 9 - The highest in the game. The only other pilots with 9 are Darth Vader and Han Solo. :wotwot:

e: Okay and some guy named Soontir Fel too, who is apparently a big deal in expanded universe fan fiction I don't know

Baron Fel isn't just from fanfics, he was a pretty major character in the X-Wing comics/books. And yeah; he's one of the best pilots around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

Thanks to Disney, fanfic is all it is now :v:

Well it all still is officially licensed, its just not canon to the upcoming films/ongoing releases.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Val Helmethead posted:

Technically in the X-Wing book as long as you shot something at least once you got credit for the eventual kill. So as long as Wedge fired even 1 laser shot at the DS1 surface, he gets full credit for the kill.

:goonsay:

There were several instances of partial kill credits; one pilot got to paint half a SSD in recognition of her taking out a shield generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
With Fantasy Flight products, a second set of dice is not exactly mandatory, but its always helpful. X-Wing technically works with 3 dice of each type...but you frequently need to reroll some in order to roll enough. I presume Armada is the same way.