Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was going to say just treat it like suppressive fire but I checked the index and oddly enough there doesn't seem to be rules about it..

Maybe a firearms roll with successes adding 1 setback die per 2, advantages adding 1 per 1 and Triumph meaning you pegged some unlucky sod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, but that's like using a tank's main gun on a soldier. Anti-vehicular weapons aren't made for pegging individual people. You might get a stupidly lucky shot but you're more likely just eating ammo. Some ground vehicles have anti-personnel guns; their stat blocks mention such weapons where appropriate.

Alternately, a weapon with blast has a much higher chance of doing damage. Dunno if any starship weapons have that quality though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Eh, I just let em have it because the fight was against a handful of Minions and it was cool. I just made it an appropriately ranged Gunnery shot.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
when firing ship based weapons against minions the collateral is always more interesting.

We usually roll with the "less collateral damage for what you're about to do = higher difficulty on the gunnery check." There is always collateral damage. The dice tell us how much there is and if it benefits us.

VVVV yessssss

fosborb fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 19, 2014

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

Eh, I just let em have it because the fight was against a handful of Minions and it was cool. I just made it an appropriately ranged Gunnery shot.

My players did this as they were leaving in the initial Mission and they blew a hole in a load bearing wall and collapsed the spaceport. 3 Despair. Killed those Stormtroopers good though!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheTofuShop posted:

My players did this as they were leaving in the initial Mission and they blew a hole in a load bearing wall and collapsed the spaceport. 3 Despair. Killed those Stormtroopers good though!

That's a whoops right there...

Finally got my F&D beta book, and even with low art, this is a drat fine publication. Why can't every RPG have art this good?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Adversary cards are available finally!

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=uSWR03

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=uSWR02

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=uSWR01

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Other RPGs aren't being published for sixty bucks a book by a company that has ties with legions of artists that they use to produce the graphics on piles of board and card games. They'd probably look great too if they were. Same reason Wizards tends to have high-quality art design for D&D stuff.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Valatar posted:

Other RPGs aren't being published for sixty bucks a book by a company that has ties with legions of artists that they use to produce the graphics on piles of board and card games. They'd probably look great too if they were. Same reason Wizards tends to have high-quality art design for D&D stuff.

Man D&D 4E was a fun game but the art was dreadful. A lot of it was recycled from previous editions and they just shoehorned it onto pages.

I know I'm a huge FFG Star Wars fanboy but they do so much more with their amazing art than most companies, it's really weird looking at other books now. The only thing I've found that comes close is the IKRPG.

edit: I think FFG has an advantage that X-Wing and the LCG also use a ton of art, and make them money. They get a lot more out of their art than most companies

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

edit: I think FFG has an advantage that X-Wing and the LCG also use a ton of art, and make them money. They get a lot more out of their art than most companies

They do also recycle some art for the LCG and for X-Wing. It always gives me a bit of pause when I see an LCG card that's obviously a from a book cover I'm familiar with or something.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
A few goons and I Just started a Star Wars Saga game. I was wondering is this an extension of those books or is this a new design to them to try to reboot the series and bring it back into play.

The books we got are all out of print and we only have PDF's. I played a ton of D&D when I was a kid and the campaign we started is just D&D in Star Wars Space.

I guess my question is this the same as the saga books or is this somewhat new ?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

wiskibubbles posted:

A few goons and I Just started a Star Wars Saga game. I was wondering is this an extension of those books or is this a new design to them to try to reboot the series and bring it back into play.

A totally different system made by a totally different company with absolutely no links to anything that came previously except for the name Star Wars.

It's also much better than Saga.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
oh cool. Ill have to check it out then. I haven't played games like this in years so when I was approached I decided why not.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

wiskibubbles posted:

I guess my question is this the same as the saga books or is this somewhat new ?

Yeah, its more than "somewhat" new. This uses a unique gaming system as well, its not just a Star Wars reskin of a d20 system or anything, this one uses what's known as Narrative Dice and has a three-pronged success/failure spectrum. Instead of just a pass/fail, you also look at advantage/threat and triumph/despair. It take a session or two to really feel comfortable with, but its now my favorite table-top system of all time.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
In fairness saga is better if you want some clone wars action star wars.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013

jivjov posted:

Yeah, its more than "somewhat" new. This uses a unique gaming system as well, its not just a Star Wars reskin of a d20 system or anything, this one uses what's known as Narrative Dice and has a three-pronged success/failure spectrum. Instead of just a pass/fail, you also look at advantage/threat and triumph/despair. It take a session or two to really feel comfortable with, but its now my favorite table-top system of all time.

Now I'm interested in the whole thing. Being a massive Star Wars Nerd since about 1995 or so all of this looks fun an now very different. Gotta find time to look at all the books and that fun and then see who plays

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

wiskibubbles posted:

Now I'm interested in the whole thing. Being a massive Star Wars Nerd since about 1995 or so all of this looks fun an now very different. Gotta find time to look at all the books and that fun and then see who plays

Come hang out in our IRC channel. #sweote on SynIRC

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vuk83 posted:

In fairness saga is better if you want some clone wars action star wars.

I hated the saga system so very much. I set up a game in the old republic era with some friends, and it seemed to be calibrated with the utmost care to remove as much joy and excitement as possible from the game. Everything was just...meh. This is the best Star Wars RPG system to date, in my opinion. It's not perfect, but it meets the stated goal of cinematic roleplaying very well in my book.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Valatar posted:

I hated the saga system so very much. I set up a game in the old republic era with some friends, and it seemed to be calibrated with the utmost care to remove as much joy and excitement as possible from the game. Everything was just...meh. This is the best Star Wars RPG system to date, in my opinion. It's not perfect, but it meets the stated goal of cinematic roleplaying very well in my book.

Definitely. Saga was a fun game, but the burden on the GM was absurd. Remembering hundreds of feats and force powers just to run NPCs and trying to build encounters especially after level 13, was impossible. Not to mention the CR system, which was impossible to understand. Saga books were also badly priced and had tiny print runs.

There's a lot of great content in the WEG system and Saga to bring into FFG's games, but their systems are pretty awful.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was going to say just treat it like suppressive fire but I checked the index and oddly enough there doesn't seem to be rules about it..

Maybe a firearms roll with successes adding 1 setback die per 2, advantages adding 1 per 1 and Triumph meaning you pegged some unlucky sod.

Treat it as "Use a Skill" Action rather than as an attack. Gunnery versus Discipline. Give them the option to actually roll attacks for each success beyond 1

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Any advice on handling droid characters? My brother is toying with the idea of making a technician and a droid fit with his backstory, but he's not sure about being forced into specializing super-hard, which seems necessary with the droid's lower xp budget.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Droids and their expanded free skills let you be fairly un-specialized. You just have to not be afraid of keeping some unnecessary stats at 1 and by and large a droid character will have a broader base of trained skills to work with than the meatbags.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Adversary decks and new talent decks for AoR are out: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5076

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5074

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The adversary decks have actually been up for purchase off their shop for a few days now. Dunno why the official release announcement was so late...

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Valatar posted:

Droids and their expanded free skills let you be fairly un-specialized. You just have to not be afraid of keeping some unnecessary stats at 1 and by and large a droid character will have a broader base of trained skills to work with than the meatbags.

Ok, so generally you get a few stats to 3 and one to 2, then pick up a big pile of skills?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Arcturas posted:

Ok, so generally you get a few stats to 3 and one to 2, then pick up a big pile of skills?

The optimal usage of your starting XP is to dump it all into the stats you'll use since the only time you can buy characteristics with XP is during character creation. Get one to 4.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Arcturas posted:

I'd take 5 points of extra obligation and go 432211 for stats.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Arcturas posted:

Most races get one potential "dump" (1) stat, except Humans which have a minimum of 2. In that case the advice is to get your main two-three stats up to 3, and ideally get one up to 4 if possible.

Droids can have multiple dump stats since they start at 1, meaning you can potentially get one to 5. Agility, Intelligence, and Cunning are good candidates for that since they have the widest number of dependent skills; if you can, get one of those to 5 and the others to 2-3 (or all of them to 3-4) and spend the rest on picking what your "dumps" should be.

The "skill bonus" refers to the fact that droids get more "free" ranks in their starting skills. If you choose wisely you can get "free" XP by overlapping the Career and Specialization skills so you get 2 ranks. Either way you start off with a much broader variety of skill ranks while still putting a majority of your XP into the 'ability' economy.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Droids are pretty good in this incarnation, I wouldn't balk at playing one. The way they're laid out really sort of begs for a person to specialize by boosting just one or two stats very high, but that makes sense given that droids are machines usually optimized for a small range of tasks that fall under their specialty. The only thing that irks me about FF's droid implementation is the lack of crunchier droid building rules. Specifically there's nothing for starting as a droid that flies with repulsorlifts instead of having legs or wheels. Most other things can be handwaved away by the whole 'you can treat the character's equipment as being installed directly in the droid' part, which makes perfect sense, but there is no flight equipment in the financial reach of a starting character. So any GM who doesn't want to be all 'Oh sorry Tim, your probe droid can't afford a repulsorlift. You'll just have to drag yourself around on those tiny arm things until you get more cash' will have to pull something out of their rear end.

Valatar fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 24, 2014

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Valatar posted:

Droids are pretty good in this incarnation, I wouldn't balk at playing one. The way they're laid out really sort of begs for a person to specialize by boosting just one or two stats very high, but that makes sense given that droids are machines usually optimized for a small range of tasks that fall under their specialty.

Example: our PC droid is doing quite well never ever firing a shot in 20+ sessions and just remaining behind the scenes and hacking the hell out of everything in a planetoid-wide range.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Hubis posted:

The "skill bonus" refers to the fact that droids get more "free" ranks in their starting skills. If you choose wisely you can get "free" XP by overlapping the Career and Specialization skills so you get 2 ranks. Either way you start off with a much broader variety of skill ranks while still putting a majority of your XP into the 'ability' economy.

Eh, droids get three free career skills, which is usually 15-20 XP, rarely 25-30. Humans get two free non-career skills, which is always 20 XP.

When considering a droid, you either want to specialize in 1 or 2 attributes and be total rear end at the rest, since you can dump a couple stats to 4 and leave the rest at 1; or you feel like being inorganic (so no need for food, sleep, or air; better access to cybernetics; and immunity to Force mind powers) is worth about 30 XP on it's own, because as a well-rounded character that's about how much you end up behind other species.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, we might not even end up with a droid in the group. My brother's thinking that his droid backstory doesn't feel quite right and might reconsider.

I appreciate the advice, though. It's a neat way to set things up and I can see why they didn't just give droids equivalent xp.

Now I just have to decide between Colonist and Smuggler for my character...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, we might not even end up with a droid in the group. My brother's thinking that his droid backstory doesn't feel quite right and might reconsider.

I appreciate the advice, though. It's a neat way to set things up and I can see why they didn't just give droids equivalent xp.

Now I just have to decide between Colonist and Smuggler for my character...

Colonist, then make a Marshall because they're loving awesome.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Colonist, then make a Marshall because they're loving awesome.

What book is Marshall in?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Droids are the best. I'm having a blast playing a Protocol Droid that's dumped everything into Deceit and Charm and just schmoozing/lying his way across the galaxy. Half the time I'm going around deliberately mis-translating Hutts and Sand People to start poo poo; the other half I'm dodging restraining bolts because I'm just simple property.

All Droid, All Day.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Arcturas posted:

What book is Marshall in?

Far Horizons, the Colonist book.

I'm gonna echo the sentiment that Droids are super fun. You have a lot more choices to specialize and FFG's Droid mechanics are the easiest ever.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

The Colonist expansion book (Beyond the Rim?)

We have a droid in our group, and I'd say that how much fun they are depends on a few things, like group size and composition. We have a fairly large (6 player) group, and there have been times where the droid played just sits around doing nothing until "the thing he's good at" comes up. Then he slams the roll and is done for another 10m. The key thing about droids is that their general weaknesses are just as much a part of their character as the tremendous specialization, so you need to invoke both to really make them feel fun and not just munchkiny. For 4-person parties there's enough rolls to go around that you can force some off balance situations.

Think of C-3PO - he spends basically the entire series being completely out of his element, only to wind up on Endor, roll double Triumphs, and not only save the day but become a literal Golden God.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
R2 is a more fun example of the things a droid pc can do, I think. He hacked the hell out of everything, repaired important stuff, and rode shotgun on a starfighter. 3PO just stood around being gay most of the time, up until he saved the galaxy.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Valatar posted:

R2 is a more fun example of the things a droid pc can do, I think. He hacked the hell out of everything, repaired important stuff, and rode shotgun on a starfighter. 3PO just stood around being gay most of the time, up until he saved the galaxy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX0CDwZJe-s

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The EotE campaign I'm in is ending soon, and the GM is going to be doing AoR next. I've already got a character lined up, because "R2 unit starfighter ace" is the best. Just stick some frumpy human dude with a mustache in the pilot seat and let him think he's doing a great job.