Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Assuming you aren't trolling, the reality is that a masters degree and professional certificate without any experience puts you in the "paper qualifications" zone and you are probably worse off than if you did not have these have things. Recruiters know you will expect more pay, and hiring managers know you will likely not be as productive as someone with real experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GILF Hunter posted:

Now, it's entirely possible that this stream of posts has taught me that my degree is less valuable than I see it. I won't deny that; but I see it as a settle to work in a place that I don't particular want to live (or commute to) and be paid less than my colleagues. Is that not fair?
They aren't your colleagues. You haven't started your career yet.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
GILF: Everyone here is saying the same thing, take the stupid job. It's entry level and probably won't challenge you, but it will put experience to your credentials and make you more marketable in a year or two. Also, if my kid turned down a paying job to live with me, after I presumably put them through or at least helped them with graduate school, I would throw them out on their rear end and they would be working at mcdonalds, regretting the day they turned down a real, honest to god career.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GILF Hunter posted:

My parents would want me to be happy. Would you not want that for you kids?
In my experience, a big part of being happy is making your own way in the world. Regardless, if she told me a Ferrari would make her happy, I would tell her to go to medical school.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I would recommend you reread this entire thread, but pretend that you are not the OP and you are just reading something that someone else wrote (and replied to).

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GILF Hunter posted:

Would you want to live in a place with the characteristics I just described?
You can commute.

Let me tell you a bit about myself. When I was just starting my career, I worked a thankless version of it (helpdesk) on third shift in a town 40 minutes away from home. I drove to and from this job five days a week. After a while I was promoted, to a still thankless job (level 2 helpdesk) but no longer on third shift. I hated both of these jobs, but liked the people I worked with. I was also poorly compensated for my time, though not out of line with the job. After these two stints, I was again promoted to Network Administrator. Since I was a consultant, I was given a new assignment and was the only IT guy at a ~100 person company. This company was a 50 minute commute away from home, but the job was something I wanted because it was great experience. The reality was that most of the people I worked with were terrible people and I hated the assignment, but I knew if I stuck with it the next hop on the ladder would come soon enough. Sure enough it did, and I was moved to another assignment (still network administrator) at a great company with great coworkers. Since then there have been more career moves, but they are not relevant to my point. Most people pay their dues with lovely jobs in the beginning, and only get a great job that they like once they reach mid career. As much as you probably feel that getting a masters degree entitles you skip that part of your career, it sounds like the entry level job in the field requires that level of education and therefore you have to start at the bottom like everyone else.

GILF Hunter posted:

Only then might you learn how to spell.
Based on what you have posted in this thread, you should not be criticizing the spelling or grammar of other posters.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Rudager posted:

To repeat it again, why would anyone hire you as an assistant or associate planner over someone with experience as a technician?
Because his college classmates were hired as such. Can't you read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GILF Hunter posted:

Considering people that graduate from my university with my degree obtain Assistant positions with roughly the same experience -- I've said this a few times too -- I would say it's very likely.
In what time frame? From the sound of it you have already moved from the norm into outlier. Other interviewers are going to look at your difficulty in finding a job and assume that there is a reason you were not already hired.

• Locked thread