Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
"I built it with my hands. Straightened old nails to put the sheathing on. Rafters are
wired to the stringers with baling wire. It's mine. I built it. You bump it down—I'll be
in the window with a rifle. You even come too close and I'll pot you like a rabbit."
"It's not me. There's nothing I can do. I'll lose my job if I don't do it. And look—
suppose you kill me? They'll just hang you, but long before you're hung there'll be
another guy on the tractor, and he'll bump the house down. You're not killing the right
guy."
"That's so," the tenant said. "Who gave you orders? I'll go after him. He's the one to
kill."
"You're wrong. He got his orders from the bank. The bank told him, 'Clear those
people out or it's your job.'"
"Well, there's a president of the bank. There's a board of directors. I'll fill up the
magazine of the rifle and go into the bank."
The driver said, "Fellow was telling me the bank gets orders from the East. The
orders were, 'Make the land show profit or we'll close you up.'"
"But where does it stop? Who can we shoot? I don't aim to starve to death before I
kill the man that's starving me."
"I don't know. Maybe there's nobody to shoot. Maybe the thing isn't men at all.
Maybe like you said, the property's doing it. Anyway I told you my orders."
"I got to figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way to stop
this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing made by men, and by
God that's something we can change."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread