Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The inditement might be legit or not, it doesn't matter because Rick Perry will win on appeals. Remember, Texas has an all Republican Criminal Court of Appeals (the final court for criminal cases).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Man count one of that indictment looks shaky as all hell. He misused funds by exercising a veto? that's the loving argument you're going with?

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CN/htm/CN.4.htm#4.14

The second count doesn't look as much like a hilarious overreach but if you take out the first count you can't run with the headline "PERRY FACES 109 YEARS IN PRISON"

Omi-Polari posted:

Perry has no authority over the PIU.

So I'm guessing the hullabaloo is over him vetoing an appropriations bill funding the PIU, am I right? Does anyone have an actual link to that? Super hard to find non lovely sources on this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

Man count one of that indictment looks shaky as all hell. He misused funds by exercising a veto? that's the loving argument you're going with?

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CN/htm/CN.4.htm#4.14

The idea is he exercised a veto with the express intent of getting an elected official (currently investigating Perry's slushfunds) to resign. He gutted the PIU not because he didn't like the work they were doing but so that their elected boss would resign.

However, I agree with you that Republican judges will likely find these non-criminal actions.

The source you should be looking for is http://texastribune.org they're the best source of Texas political news.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Edit: The forums in fact hosed up on this one.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Omi-Polari posted:

+ Perry has to submit to processing at the Travis County jail. This means we're getting a Rick Perry mugshot. (I hope.) But he'll be released under his own recognizance.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Py-O-My posted:

Does Rick Perry's veto not meet this criteria?
Or would the initial threat be the "action" in this case?

Pretty certain the veto meets the criteria and, I'm pretty confident, he'll get off of it based on it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Most of why this has come up is because Perry publicly threatened to the veto in order to force her to resign. If the funding had mysteriously disappeared with no commentary from Perry, the case might be weaker.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

The idea is he exercised a veto with the express intent of getting an elected official (currently investigating Perry's slushfunds) to resign. He gutted the PIU not because he didn't like the work they were doing but so that their elected boss would resign.

However, I agree with you that Republican judges will likely find these non-criminal actions.

The source you should be looking for is http://texastribune.org they're the best source of Texas political news.

Yeah, that's the coercion count, #2. The first count in the indictment says that exercise of that veto was tantamount to misusing funds.

I await the Perry mugshot with great anticipation too, I just don't think it's a good idea to say that the executive use of a constitutionally-provided balance to the legislative branch's power is criminal. Ideologically it's important to allow the executive branch to exercise the veto freely.

But from a realpolitik standpoint the executive veto is gonna be a big loving deal in state governments. People talk about Texas going purple due to changing demographics... the governor is gonna be blue long before the legislature keeps up, so setting up precedent that limits the executive branch is Pretty loving Stupid imo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

Yeah, that's the coercion count, #2. The first count in the indictment says that exercise of that veto was tantamount to misusing funds.

Instead, I think the second count is telling the DA "resign or else I'll veto" the first count is "I'm vetoing this in an attempt to coerce a public official into resigning".

However, yeah I'm sure the ruling on appeals will be that anything dealing with signing/vetoing a bill is exempt from these statutes.

Also Texas has always had one of the weakest governors. It wasn't until Perry was in office long enough he was able to overcome those protections and become so powerful. The next governor will likely have less control over state policy than the then-former-governor Perry will.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 16, 2014

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not sure how to parse it. The indictment doesn't list the statute, but based on the quotes from the article it looks like 39.02:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.39.htm

Maybe if you can prove Perry's intent in removing funding was to get the benefit of not being investigated for sleaziness, and can somehow tap-dance around the whole "Texas gives the governor line-item veto" thing, maybe...

Trabisnikof posted:

However, yeah I'm sure the ruling on appeals will be that anything dealing with signing/vetoing a bill is exempt from these statutes.

This is probably the best or else we'll see Governor Wendy Davis charged for misusing state funds for vetoing a bill requiring mandatory transvaginal ultrasounds or something.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Even if he somehow gets off, it's another blow to the already dead Republican Party.

It is very much alive, just not where you live apparently.

Nonsense posted:

Yes I suppose things could get worse, it just seems like something Perry could have easily not allowed to happen with everything else sliding off of him, this issue might end him?

Al Capone, tax evasion, yadda yadda etc.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

I'm not sure how to parse it. The indictment doesn't list the statute, but based on the quotes from the article it looks like 39.02:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.39.htm

Maybe if you can prove Perry's intent in removing funding was to get the benefit of not being investigated for sleaziness, and can somehow tap-dance around the whole "Texas gives the governor line-item veto" thing, maybe...

This is probably the best or else we'll see Governor Wendy Davis charged for misusing state funds for vetoing a bill requiring mandatory transvaginal ultrasounds or something.

I don't think there's much tap-dancing when the stated deal was "Resign or I will veto the funding for this thing we both think is valuable". That's what makes this criminal, Perry explicitly made this point. That's the illegal part, not the tool he used. So unless Abbott/Davis was trying to get an elected official to resign through their use of their government powers its not the same thing.

One of the core limitations on governors is the fact that there are many powerful commissions with commissioners that rotate in a staggered fashion. So unless you're Perry and just get reelected forever, there is a limit on your ability to influence these commissioners appointed before you. Until you can blatantly say "unless you resign, I'll defund everything you care about" and have that be legal.

Instead, I hope that the Republican judges who grant Perry his win use some other loophole to get Perry off, so that we don't end up changing the balance of power in Texas over this.

Texas had a governor before that tried to veto funding to get people fired.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

What the gently caress are you even trying to say? Do you even have a point, or are you just spewing nonsense out of boredom? Or do you really have THAT much trouble with the term "relevancy", because the things you are saying certainly don't seem relevant to the things I'm saying!

The DA, after being picked up for drunk driving, admitted on camera to her participation in local corruption in the county of Travis and you for some reason feel this is irrelevant and are getting pissy about it, which is very funny to people who live in town and have been following this story for longer than the last 24 hours. This indictment might end Perry's career, and its probably the one thing in the last five years where Rick Perry kinda has a point, actually. Rick Perry being Rick Perry, he's of course going to do this in a way that also causes maximum benefit to Rick Perry and Friends of Rick Perry, and now the schweeny ineffectual Austin liberal bloc is trying to oppose him with procedural political games of their own, but because of their tragic Austinite handicap they're doing it in the stupidest way at the least effectual time.

Again, this all very, very funny to people familiar with the story and the tender mercies of the Travis County DA's office, which you clearly are not.

To reiterate:

ReindeerF posted:

No, no, I don't disagree - but even within that narrative it's all political. This is the issue. He didn't rob a liquor store, he's playing politics and they're playing politics back. There's no doubt that Rick Perry is old-school corrupt like the day is long and that all of this is entirely about political corruption, but this is about the worst case imaginable to bring against him because there's no way to unwind the actions of either side from one another.

He isn't on trial for the UT stuff or the pharma stuff or the cancer stuff or anything else, he's on trial for a political pissing match with a DA's office that's notoriously political as well and the central issue is my corrupt Governor trying to force out of office a corrupt DA. He's leaving office soon as well, so it's not really helping to remove him from power.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 16, 2014

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think there's much tap-dancing when the stated deal was "Resign or I will veto the funding for this thing we both think is valuable". That's what makes this criminal, Perry explicitly made this point. That's the illegal part, not the tool he used. So unless Abbott/Davis was trying to get an elected official to resign through their use of their government powers its not the same thing.

One of the core limitations on governors is the fact that there are many powerful commissions with commissioners that rotate in a staggered fashion. So unless you're Perry and just get reelected forever, there is a limit on your ability to influence these commissioners appointed before you. Until you can blatantly say "unless you resign, I'll defund everything you care about" and have that be legal.

Instead, I hope that the Republican judges who grant Perry his win use some other loophole to get Perry off, so that we don't end up changing the balance of power in Texas over this.

Texas had a governor before that tried to veto funding to get people fired.

I absolutely agree that Perry's explicit "resign or veto" is criminal. Under the second count of the indictment.

I don't think you can legally establish that it's criminal under the first. Look at the statute and tell me how. Seriously I'd love to be wrong and see a piece of poo poo like Perry in jail for ONE HUNDRED YEARS, I just don't see how it happens with the law written as it is.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

I absolutely agree that Perry's explicit "resign or veto" is criminal. Under the second count of the indictment.

I don't think you can legally establish that it's criminal under the first. Look at the statute and tell me how. Seriously I'd love to be wrong and see a piece of poo poo like Perry in jail for ONE HUNDRED YEARS, I just don't see how it happens with the law written as it is.

As an official, everything you say or do is either in an official or personal capacity. While Lehmberg was in custody, she made threats of a personal, and not official, nature. If she had said, "If you don't let me go, you will all be in jail on corruption charges," such a threat would be an illegal use of official capacity for personal gain. As an elected official, you're allowed to imply that official powers may be used to achieve political purpose, however, it is illegal to explicitly state that official powers will be used for a political purpose. Perry made the mistake of making an implication into a statement.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'm really so confused by this and it makes me feel stupid. It would seem this all boils down to the wording Rick Perry used to use a veto or something? I'm stupid.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Agrajag posted:

I'm really so confused by this and it makes me feel stupid. It would seem this all boils down to the wording Rick Perry used to use a veto or something? I'm stupid.

The DA (a Democrat) whose office was investigating Rick Perry's corruption got drunk, did a DUI, and might've said a thing to the police that maybe approached corruption. Perry saw a chance to get rid of her and appoint someone (a Republican) who might've "looked into his corruption" for him.

But he hosed up. Basically Perry said "resign or I veto your funding"; therefore, coercion.

If he said "mumble mumble you lost the trust of the people" and vetoed the funding, we wouldn't be here.

never underestimate rick perry's buffoonery.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

The DA (a Democrat) whose office was investigating Rick Perry's corruption got drunk, did a DUI, and might've said a thing to the police that maybe approached corruption.

It basically has approached corruption,

Former chief commercialization officer of the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas indicted.

Granted, he hasn't gone to trial but he resigned his position. If it weren't for the Public Integrity Unit this would have never been unearthed the fraud.

Perry attempted to squash the investigation and used the DUI of the Public Integrity Unit employee as cover.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 17, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I think Johnny Cache Hit was talking about Lehmburg talking poo poo in the drunk tank about how she'd get out free.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Really, I care less about Rick the Dick going to jail and more about exposing what a horrible corrupt prick he is so people stop taking him seriously. Also maybe it'll reflect badly on Greg Abbott merely for claiming the same party affiliation.

Can we just have Ann Richards back now? I was okay with her.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7y7oJ266qI

Here's the video.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I just don't understand the part where slick rick hosed up? Because of the wording he used to fire her?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm just hoping this is some sort of karmic punishment for when he steamrolled an innocent man's execution and then abolished the committee investigating the execution.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Willie Tomg posted:

The DA, after being picked up for drunk driving, admitted on camera to her participation in local corruption in the county of Travis and you for some reason feel this is irrelevant and are getting pissy about it, which is very funny to people who live in town and have been following this story for longer than the last 24 hours. This indictment might end Perry's career, and its probably the one thing in the last five years where Rick Perry kinda has a point, actually. Rick Perry being Rick Perry, he's of course going to do this in a way that also causes maximum benefit to Rick Perry and Friends of Rick Perry, and now the schweeny ineffectual Austin liberal bloc is trying to oppose him with procedural political games of their own, but because of their tragic Austinite handicap they're doing it in the stupidest way at the least effectual time.

Again, this all very, very funny to people familiar with the story and the tender mercies of the Travis County DA's office, which you clearly are not.
I am fine with Perry being indicted for this because Perry is a huge piece of poo poo, but it's a goddamn mystery to me how a grand jury could indict Perry on this set of facts but no-bill Lehmberg (which they did two weeks ago IIRC).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elotana posted:

I am fine with Perry being indicted for this because Perry is a huge piece of poo poo, but it's a goddamn mystery to me how a grand jury could indict Perry on this set of facts but no-bill Lehmberg (which they did two weeks ago IIRC).

She didn't actually do anything to abuse the power of her office. Perry actually did.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

GlyphGryph posted:

Are you aware that you say some really stupid loving poo poo and appear to have difficulty reading other people's posts and figuring out what they are saying and with the entire concept of one point being relevant to another point rather than just related?
Now now, there's no need to get personal. No one's touching your cookie bag. It's just people arguing on the internet, it happens all the time.

Anyway, GlyphGryph aside, IANAL but my reading of the charges is that they're linked - as in, if the first count doesn't stick then the second count doesn't either and vice versa. It is an interesting use of the law, is this pretty standard or what? The first count basically says he misused state property, period. That's the entire first count. In order for that to be true, the second count also has to be true. If they don't find that the second count is true then he didn't misuse state property. Sounds like a shaky case. I mean it sounds like it's entirely possible that the just would come back and say yes on count two but no on count one because vetoing funding is a normal part of his job.

Obviously, I also know full well that he did this to get back at the people who were investigating him and making his life difficult, but Republicans in Texas going after the Travis County DA is news on par with the Travis County DA going after Republicans. The curious part to me is whether what he did is actually something you can't do. I don't mean among the hyperventilating lefties, but among people who are trying to view this objectively. There's obviously a law about coercing a public official, which is basically the second count of his indictment, but if you're the Governor and you're required to either sign or veto funding for stuff and you say it all very publicly then doesn't that sort of fall under your powers of being the Governor? It seems like the case would be a lot stronger if he had hidden everything and there were deleted emails or voice recordings unearthed from his Niggerhead Lair.

The thing that gives me pause is that the investigator they appointed really sounds like there's more going on than he's been able to charge and he seems like a pretty legit guy. I don't know anything about him, but he seems pretty well respected.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

She didn't actually do anything to abuse the power of her office. Perry actually did.
What the gently caress? Watch that booking video and tell me she's not at least as guilty of official misconduct and coercion as Perry is.

ReindeerF posted:

Anyway, GlyphGryph aside, IANAL but my reading of the charges is that they're linked - as in, if the first count doesn't stick then the second count doesn't either and vice versa. It is an interesting use of the law, is this pretty standard or what? The first count basically says he misused state property, period. That's the entire first count. In order for that to be true, the second count also has to be true. If they don't find that the second count is true then he didn't misuse state property. Sounds like a shaky case. I mean it sounds like it's entirely possible that the just would come back and say yes on count two but no on count one because vetoing funding is a normal part of his job.
I might as well not be a lawyer when it comes to state criminal law, I haven't touched it since 1L year, but that's my impression as well. The first count of this indictment reads like some weak-rear end poo poo to me.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 17, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Elotana posted:

What the gently caress? Watch that booking video and tell me she's not at least as guilty of official misconduct and coercion as Perry is.

She had a .23 BAC. You're, uh, kinda not 100% accountable for everything you say while under the influence of mind-altering drugs.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Elotana posted:

No, I did watch the video. She has not commited an illegal act of misconduct in the video. You are allowed to imply that you will use your official powers for political purposes. It is illegal to directly use your official powers for political purposes. She did not use her official powers, nor did she say directly that she would use her official powers, for political/personal gain. Meanwhile, Perry used his official power (veto) for a political purpose (force Lehmberg to resign). That was Perry's public statement.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MrBims posted:

She had a .23 BAC. You're, uh, kinda not 100% accountable for everything you say while under the influence of mind-altering drugs.
Stop whitewashing the Bush Presidency.

My Imaginary GF posted:

No, I did watch the video. She has not commited an illegal act of misconduct in the video. You are allowed to imply that you will use your official powers for political purposes. It is illegal to directly use your official powers for political purposes. She did not use her official powers, nor did she say directly that she would use her official powers, for political/personal gain. Meanwhile, Perry used his official power (veto) for a political purpose (force Lehmberg to resign). That was Perry's public statement.
Well Governor Perry threatened her, but she still has her job, so I guess he's clean too!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elotana posted:

Drunken babbling is not a power of her office.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It is, however, Rick Perry's debate strategy.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

MrBims posted:

TPC 8.04(a) says you kinda are.

My Imaginary GF posted:

You've got it exactly backwards. Look at the actual coercion statute:

quote:

Sec. 36.03. COERCION OF PUBLIC SERVANT OR VOTER.
(a) A person commits an offense if by means of coercion he:
(1) influences or attempts to influence a public servant in a specific exercise of his official power or a specific performance of his official duty or influences or attempts to influence a public servant to violate the public servant's known legal duty;
(2) influences or attempts to influence a voter not to vote or to vote in a particular manner.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor unless the coercion is a threat to commit a felony, in which event it is a felony of the third degree.
(c) It is an exception to the application of Subsection (a)(1) of this section that the person who influences or attempts to influence the public servant is a member of the governing body of a governmental entity, and that the action that influences or attempts to influence the public servant is an official action taken by the member of the governing body. For the purposes of this subsection, the term "official action" includes deliberations by the governing body of a governmental entity.
Note that the (c) exception I bolded seems to apply to Perry more so than to Lehmberg.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReindeerF posted:

Well Governor Perry threatened her, but she still has her job, so I guess he's clean too!

It is legal to imply a personal threat. It is illegal to threaten through the use of official power. If Perry had veto'd the funding with the following statement, his veto would have been legal: "The agency is headed by an individual with a DUI conviction. I veto this funding." What is not legal is to veto with the following statement: "The agency is headed by an individual with a DUI conviction, therefore I veto this funding."

You can make the two statements as long as they are unconnected. Lehmberg never threatened a direct use of official power. Such a threat could have taken the form of, "If you don't let me call the sherrif, I will indict you." However, Lehmberg never connected her personal and political statements with official use of her elected office. Were her actions unethical? Potentially; there is an ethics review board somewhere that has the power to decide that. Were her actions in the video illegal? No.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Well, I'll leave it at her not being the one up on charges, so it doesn't really matter I guess, but I'm pretty sure that when a DA threatens the job of the law enforcement officers arresting her that's a personal threat just as much as "if you don't blow me, you're fired" is sexual harassment when a manager to whom you're not a direct report says it (even if he's drunk).

Elotana makes an interesting point with his last post in that the (c) exception actually does look like it could help exonerate Governor Goodhair. Vetoing funding is basically a normal part of his job. Now if he'd gotten drunk, arrested and indicted and then screamed at her threatening to have her fired, he would obviously be not guilty.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Seriously, I would like nothing more than for Rick Perry to go to jail for a century, but ever since this story broke and I looked up the actual statute I have asked every Texas Dem I know (most of them through law school!) to explain to me how 36.03(c) doesn't 100% apply to Perry's veto and nobody can. Maybe the judicial precedent is some abstruse interpretation that's totally at odds with the text, but I can't bill Westlaw research to "idle curiosity" :v:

Elotana fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 17, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How about "arguing on the internet"?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReindeerF posted:

Elotana makes an interesting point with his last post in that the (c) exception actually does look like it could help exonerate Governor Goodhair. Vetoing funding is basically a normal part of his job. Now if he'd gotten drunk, arrested and indicted and then screamed at her threatening to have her fired, he would obviously be not guilty.

The way my campaign lawyer explained it to me was, you can make any political statements you want as long as you don't attach a political statement to an official act. I expect Perry's appeal to rely upon (c). However, by combining an official act (veto) with a political act (demand to step down), the act of veto becomes a political use of official power.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I agree that's going to be their case from what it looks like. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

The way my campaign lawyer explained it to me was, you can make any political statements you want as long as you don't attach a political statement to an official act. I expect Perry's appeal to rely upon (c). However, by combining an official act (veto) with a political act (demand to step down), the act of veto becomes a political use of official power.
From the text of the statute, if the criteria of (c) are met, which they appear to be, they would prevent the application of (a)(1) entirely, so we wouldn't even get to the statement if the action was official. Like, assuming there's no drastically skewed precedent (and I don't really think there would be, this seems like a specific enough set of facts that it would turn on the text of the statute), and this indictment is as thin as it seems at first glance, Perry has a good shot at a directed verdict, which would really get people steamed who aren't following the case except on a partisan level. He's almost certainly in no real danger of conviction.

I'm genuinely not trying to be That Contrarian Guy here, I hadn't followed the Lehmberg/Perry affair at all and was stoked when I heard he was indicted out of the blue the other day. But the more I learn about it the less impressed I am.

• Locked thread