Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

thrakkorzog posted:

Perry isn't exactly known for being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

That said, he might have a legitimate first amendment argument. How is, 'I will veto this spending unless Lehmberg steps down,' significantly different from, 'I vetoed that spending, because Lehmberg is in charge?' In both cases, Perry is cutting off funding until Lehmberg quits. They're both political statements, the only real difference is tense.

You can make the argument that he could have just issued the veto without explaining why he vetoed the funding, but as an elected official, he is generally obligated to explain to voters why he vetoed a particular piece of legislation.

The second one wouldn't be an attempt at coercion. If he just vetoed the funding and then said it was because she wouldn't step down, at no point would she have been influenced to step down by a threat to veto her funding. It seems weird because "Do what I want, or I'll use my official power to screw with your ability to do your job" seems like a normal thing, but apparently actually saying that specifically about a specific issue is illegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's not a settled issue, that's the thing. This isn't yet at all like the Blagojevich case where he and his staff were convicted of wire fraud for trying to structure transactions and then many other things. It may turn out that way, and maybe this investigator has the goods, but as of right now it's one of those things where everyone gets to have an opinion, it seems, because the law doesn't seem to be 100% clear. Perry hasn't been accused of all this other adjacent criminal behavior, his whole alleged crime happened right out in public and involved his powers. That's obviously murky.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Once the Rosemary Lehmberg - the Travis County DA was arrested for DUI and the ensuing drama unfolded. Supposedly Rick Perry or his office went behind closed doors and promised her a job if she resigned voluntarily.

I can't find the source but if this is true and could be proven in court, Perry would be found guilty.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Once the Rosemary Lehmberg - the Travis County DA was arrested for DUI and the ensuing drama unfolded. Supposedly Rick Perry or his office went behind closed doors and promised her a job if she resigned voluntarily.

I can't find the source but if this is true and could be proven in court, Perry would be found guilty.

The Texas Tribune has backed that up and Lehmberg said that part of the reason she didn't agree was because she thought it was illegal.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

The Texas Tribune has backed that up and Lehmberg said that part of the reason she didn't agree was because she thought it was illegal.

If they prove it in court, Perry is hosed.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is why I wonder if the special investigator has something more. He made comments to the effect that he was pretty unnerved by what he'd discovered during his investigation. Now that's posturing of course, but it doesn't mean there's nothing there.

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT WILL SHOCK YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tab8715 posted:

If they prove it in court, Perry is hosed.

Going to be hard because the Perry administration is very meticulous about avoiding written communication. But yes if somebody hosed up and wrote that down or the special prosecutor has credible witnesses then Perry is in trouble.

It will still get overturned on appeal.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Why bring these weak-sauce charges, though? He's only had the special grand jury for 11 months now. You can keep a normal grand jury impaneled for 18 months, and I think a special grand jury for 36 months.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's not Governor Perry's fault that there's a crayon shortage.

Elotana posted:

Why bring these weak-sauce charges, though? He's only had the special grand jury for 11 months now. You can keep a normal grand jury impaneled for 18 months, and I think a special grand jury for 36 months.
There are only three possible explanations.

1) He's incompetent
2) He's lowballing the initial charge to lure the Governor into something
3) This is all he's got and he thinks it's a good case

EDIT: Oops, it's 03:00 here - respect for the office.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Going to be hard because the Perry administration is very meticulous about avoiding written communication. But yes if somebody hosed up and wrote that down or the special prosecutor has credible witnesses then Perry is in trouble.

It will get 100% overturned on appeal even if there was a handwritten note that says "I Rick Perry, as an illegal use of my official powers, do hereby veto this funding and order the Texas DPS to murder 4 prostitutes." The elected judges (R) won't stand for it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Yea, it'll become a "he-said but she-said" which never goes anywhere and I don't believe a Grand Jury would indict on that amount of evidence.

Which means they must have something...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tab8715 posted:

Yea, it'll become a "he-said but she-said" which never goes anywhere and I don't believe a Grand Jury would indict on that amount of evidence.

Which means they must have something...

Is Texas a one-party conscent state?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trabisnikof posted:

It will get 100% overturned on appeal even if there was a handwritten note that says "I Rick Perry, as an illegal use of my official powers, do hereby veto this funding and order the Texas DPS to murder 4 prostitutes." The elected judges (R) won't stand for it.

Pretty much. He would have to be Blagojevich levels of toxic.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
And stupid. Which, you know, is possible given how long he's been in power and how not-brilliant he is to begin with.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Is Texas a one-party conscent state?

A quick google search shows that Texas is a one party consent state. (Most states default to one party consent, unless the state actually requires second party consent.) Although if they actually had recordings of Perry making any unethical offers, it seems like that would be exhibit A against Perry. He said/she said arguments generally aren't all that persuasive, especially if one side has a strong incentive to lie about was said.

I'm not a big fan of Perry, since he was perfectly happy to go along with Emminent domain abuse, up until the time it became unpopular, then he tried to remake himself as a Tea Party populist.

At this point his oppnents just smash into their own stupidity. For example, He was willing to to spend $1500 per HPV vaccine. One of his buddies transferred out of the of the governor's office, in order to profit off the HPV vaccine. There is an argument to be made that he exceeded his powers. There are also people who accuse Perry of spreading autism. Guess which group gets more headlines.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 19, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

A bit off-topic but has anything come out of this?

Texas court overturns Tom DeLay conviction

USA Today posted:

The Texas Third Circuit Court of Appeals, in an opinion released Thursday by Justice Melissa Goodwin, said instead that "the evidence shows that the defendants were attempting to comply with the election code limitations on corporate contributions."

"The evidence was legally insufficient to sustain DeLay's convictions," the court said in its 2-1 ruling. The judges said they "reverse the judgments of the trial court" and acquit DeLay, once one of the most powerful Republicans in Congress, of all charges.

The Travis County District Attorney's Office said it would appeal the decision before the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

Was an appeal ever attempted?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
So he is turning himself in. Not really a huge deal but we'll get some mugshots at least.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Rick Perry has never taken a bad photo. Say what you will about him, but he's photogenic as gently caress.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I'd just like to note that @HipsterRickPerry is a twitter account and it's just too bad because there's some potential in the premise but the guy just isn't very funny.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Frackie Robinson posted:

Rick Perry has never taken a bad photo. Say what you will about him, but he's photogenic as gently caress.
Yeah he is. This is it:

The man. The hair. The mugshot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah he is. This is it:

Smug.jpg

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah he is. This is it:

Smugshot.

Bonus meme image.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah he is. This is it:

And then he celebrated by getting ice cream

https://twitter.com/GovernorPerry/status/501864028764110848/photo/1

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah he is. This is it:

Why do politicians always get to have mugshots like it's grade school picture day? Where's the little sign he's supposed to be showing, and the height measuring stick embedded in the wall behind him?

So disappointed, though I knew it would be like this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

Why do politicians always get to have mugshots like it's grade school picture day? Where's the little sign he's supposed to be showing, and the height measuring stick embedded in the wall behind him?

So disappointed, though I knew it would be like this.

Nah, that's a normal mugshot for Travis County. Perry just knew to dress snazzy because he was turning himself in.

(http://www.bustedmugshots.com/texas/austin/nicholas-willy/157246741)

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

That woman looks uncomfortable

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

The guy with the unbuttoned dress shirt and pink pocket handkerchief looks like a sleaze ball.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah he is. This is it:

Well, time to retire the Gingrich press release avatar.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Technogeek posted:

Well, time to retire the Gingrich press release avatar.

And just in time for the official avatar limit increase!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
There is not an ounce of shame, guilt, or regret in that grin. As ever the shithead we know him to be.

Just ran across this on twitter:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

There is not an ounce of shame, guilt, or regret in that grin. As ever the shithead we know him to be.

Just ran across this on twitter:

I am in loff!

History marches forward ya'll.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The only way this case could get any dumber is if the DA had not resi...oh, right, she's still there.

Tab8715 posted:

No jury will convict, even given the above. If there's no set mechanism for removing the chair of an ethics committee from office for a .239, you can spin that conversation as extraordinary measures. I'm not even sure it's spin. An offer of a lower ranking job to save face is something that would happen in a whole lot of other countries and in a non-politicized situation it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The office prosecuting him is the office whose funds he vetoed?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Adar posted:

The only way this case could get any dumber is if the DA had not resi...oh, right, she's still there.

No jury will convict, even given the above. If there's no set mechanism for removing the chair of an ethics committee from office for a .239, you can spin that conversation as extraordinary measures. I'm not even sure it's spin. An offer of a lower ranking job to save face is something that would happen in a whole lot of other countries and in a non-politicized situation it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

The Travis County DA is an elected official and responsible to the people of her district. If they wish for her to remain in her position - so be it. We could discuss at length as to if there should be some way to remove her but that's a completely different topic. My own state North Dakota had a judge accused and convicted of sexual harassment yet he still holds his position.

Why he hasn't been voted out is beyond me...

Adar posted:

No jury will convict, even given the above. If there's no set mechanism for removing the chair of an ethics committee from office for a .239, you can spin that conversation as extraordinary measures. I'm not even sure it's spin.

A special independent prosecutor that reviewed the investigation from the Travis County DA and a Grand Jury thinks otherwise.

Adar posted:

An offer of a lower ranking job to save face is something that would happen in a whole lot of other countries and in a non-politicized situation it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

Eh, maybe but it was to squash the investigation - which is illegal under State Law.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The office prosecuting him is the office whose funds he vetoed?

Yes, however the idea that it's just partisan mudslinging is rather misleading.

I don't know the exact terminology or process but when the Travis County DA completed their investigation of Perry they take their findings to a special prosecutor. He's non-partisan (or claims to be) reviews the case and if he feels there's something substantial then he takes it to a Grand Jury. The Grand Jury (non-partisan or at the very least a mix of democrats/republicans) scrutinizes the special prosecutors review and if they feel beyond the benefit of a doubt there's wrong doing and indictment will be issued.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Everybody I've talked to has commented on how smug he looks in his mugshot, but I just don't see it. To me it looks like barely contained anger papered over with a fake smile. Like he can't believe these loving plebians are putting him through this process like a "normal". His eyes are screaming "I will loving bury you!"

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Grand juries hear no exculpatory evidence and will indict a hand sandwich. Indictments are paperwork to go through (unless there's a cop involved lol) before getting to the important part. For a Texas jury to convict on these facts is going to take a minor miracle.

Tab8715 posted:

The Grand Jury (non-partisan or at the very least a mix of democrats/republicans) scrutinizes the special prosecutors review and if they feel beyond the benefit of a doubt there's wrong doing and indictment will be issued.

Also, you got your standard of proof significantly wrong ("probable cause")

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

While a grand jury could indict a ham sandwich they didn't return a true bill against Lehmburg?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Adar posted:

Grand juries hear no exculpatory evidence and will indict a hand sandwich. Indictments are paperwork to go through (unless there's a cop involved lol) before getting to the important part. For a Texas jury to convict on these facts is going to take a minor miracle.

Also, you got your standard of proof significantly wrong ("probable cause")

While grand juries are easy to get to indict anything, a Bush-appointed prosecutor knows better than to stake his reputation on a flimsy case.

I don't think this case is so easy for Perry. I know the defense is arguing that anything he does as a veto is legal, but that's clearly not the intent of the law and Perry made many statements of quid-pro-quo. In a state where previously appointed/elected officials are a direct and intentional limit on the governor's the ability to remove them at whim (and appoint your own), by line-item vetoing any funding they approve of until they resign would dramatically shift the balance of power in Texas.

We've basically impeached a governor for this before....(vote Ma, she'll do what Pa says!)

I'm pretty sure the jury will be from Austin anyway, so there's that to consider.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

Everybody I've talked to has commented on how smug he looks in his mugshot, but I just don't see it. To me it looks like barely contained anger papered over with a fake smile. Like he can't believe these loving plebians are putting him through this process like a "normal". His eyes are screaming "I will loving bury you!"

Yeah.

• Locked thread