Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

You have to be mentally retarded to be perfectly fine with Arsenal missing out on Cesc. He's great, any team in the Prem would be better if they have him.

It's one thing to have a realistic outlook and say "well an option like Sanchez and a Sagna replacement were the priority for the summer" but to try and argue its somehow a bad thing for players to compete for places and that Cesc would have been a detriment to the team is just so loving out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Fabregas is incredible and if chelsea don't walk the league mourinho will be sacked lol

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Steve Evets posted:

Matic was the 'restricted' player, not Cesc. One of Matic or Ramires, or even both of them will support Fabregas and allow him to play.

Cazorla played mostly in the wide areas. Yes Fabregas is better than Cazorla out wide, but Sanchez is better than both of them out wide. Fabregas has never been played in a position where he has to put in more than token defensive work in midfield, and I don't see how people would expect him to suddenly be able to absorb the defensive midfield burden. Arteta isn't the greatest, but the fact that he is a more limited player than Fabregas makes him more suited to a more limited role. In other words it would be criminal to tell Fabregas to sit there and play in a restricted area and play 5 yard passes with whoever is nearest, and then be responsible for breaking up the oppositions play, which he isn't good at doing in the first place. Only Wilshere and Rosicky play in Fabregas' natural position, and while Fabregas is better than both and would have improved the depth in that area, it would have also meant that you would have had a situation with Ozil Fabregas and Ramsey, all 3 of whom are too good to drop but only two of them can be fit into the core of the side effectively. It would have taken half the season to figure out which combo works best and Wenger probably thought it better to just get what we actually needed around what we already had than to keep tinkering.

Bottom line, bringing Fabregas back either means playing a daft, unbalanced team, or regularly benching one of Ozil, Fabregas or Ramsey. It wasn't a no brainer to bring him back and the fact that Fabregas looks good on a football pitch doesn't mean it was a bad decision.

Arsenal are a shite team for tossers, mate

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

Arsenal are a shite team for tossers, mate

they are

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

chuggo is BACK posted:

Fabregas is incredible and if chelsea don't walk the league mourinho will be sacked lol

I want Chelsea to fail both on general "gently caress Chelsea" principles and also cause it'll get Mourinho fired.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
We need an official Arsenal fan mental gymnastics megathread for these posts its lovely

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

blue footed boobie posted:

I loving hate this forum.
it's no worse than usual, just that arsenal are the topic.

ta-ra

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Close this thread, the matchday is over ffs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's was only Burnley, lads, let's wait and see if "cesc" can handle a wet saturday evening at Goodison before declaring he would walk into any team in the league.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
loving lmao Fabregas is better at Ozil's job than Ozil and better at Ramsey's job than Ramsey. Buying him would mean you could actually play someone when Ramsey dies and Ozil forgets how to play football in the winter.

"We had no need for Fabregas because the only spot available in our midfield is for a defensive midfielder" is an insane thing to say. Fabregas is good enough that you make room for him. Ffs. Besides all that competition for places is miles better than "Yeah Mesut you start every single game when fit, don't worry about your poo poo form and lack of work ethic oh no your foot fell off and now we have to play a pensioner".

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

vyelkin posted:

loving lmao Fabregas is better at Ozil's job than Ozil and better at Ramsey's job than Ramsey. Buying him would mean you could actually play someone when Ramsey dies and Ozil forgets how to play football in the winter.

"We had no need for Fabregas because the only spot available in our midfield is for a defensive midfielder" is an insane thing to say. Fabregas is good enough that you make room for him. Ffs. Besides all that competition for places is miles better than "Yeah Mesut you start every single game when fit, don't worry about your poo poo form and lack of work ethic oh no your foot fell off and now we have to play a pensioner".

United fans last year 'We didn't need Ozil as he's not a defensive midfielder'
Arsenal fans last year 'Lol why wouldnt you ever want a player that good just because he doesnt play defensively?'

Arsenal fans this year 'We didn't buy Fabregas as he's not a defensive midfielder'

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Arsenal didn't have room in their formation for Ozil when they bought him.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Fabregas this thread

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Hamas, hamas, cesc fabregas

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Lol I love that fabregas having a good game against loving burnley is some great indicator but all the bartha performances are discounted because of the level of the competition, not that he will be bad but it's seriously burnley

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

tbp posted:

Lol I love that fabregas having a good game against loving burnley is some great indicator but all the bartha performances are discounted because of the level of the competition, not that he will be bad but it's seriously burnley

Idg where you're coming from with this, the same exact conversation happened two months ago and arsenal fans were always going to go mental when they saw Cesc playing for Chelsea:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

Idg where you're coming from with this, the same exact conversation happened two months ago and arsenal fans were always going to go mental when they saw Cesc playing for Chelsea:

I triggered hard

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Why are we talking about Wenger being an rear end for not signing Fabregas? Do we even know if he wanted to come back to Arsenal?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Xabi posted:

Why are we talking about Wenger being an rear end for not signing Fabregas? Do we even know if he wanted to come back to Arsenal?

who wouldn't

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Xabi posted:

I'm pretty sure cesc put up a Facebook post that he talked with Wenger about coming back, and that Wenger said they didn't have a spot for him, or something like that. Could have just been PR fluff, though.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
He asked around in trp and since the arsenal posters said that there wasn't room for him, well...

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

tbp posted:

playing a bad team doesnt make you better at passing though

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Yeah it does. More time, less pressure, more options etc.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It doesn't make you better at finishing either and yet bad sides seem to concede more goals? :iiam:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Besides if last season is any indicator it's the poo poo teams that we need to be better against anyway!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Fabregas has Arsenal DNA and he turns to poo poo every second half of the season every season

August to December he's great though

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just watched the Schurrle goal and Burnley literally left Fabregas on the edge of the box to chip a pass in. He's a top top player but maybe save the hyperbole until he's played for a while.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Just watched the Schurrle goal and Burnley literally left Fabregas on the edge of the box to chip a pass in. He's a top top player but maybe save the hyperbole until he's played for a while.

True, I haven't even heard of this Fabregas guy before. Did he even have a good world cup?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

RVProfootballer posted:

True, I haven't even heard of this Fabregas guy before. Did he even have a good world cup?

real answer: I dunno, Spain was pretty poo poo as a whole imo but I was too busy gloating over their losses to notice who in particular was doing well.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 20, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

real answer: I dunno, Spain was pretty poo poo as a whole imo but I was too busy gloating over their losses to notice who in particular was doing well.

More that Fabregas owns and is a known quantity and that has nothing to do with Burnley being poo poo against Chelsea.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

you guys are loving idiots

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

My wife is not an idiot

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

straight up brolic posted:

That's no way to talk about yer mam

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It absolutely does lol retard

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

tbp posted:

Agreed, whenever I play a bad team everyone says my transition is going really well

I also agree that playing against a bad team will mean you will have a better first touch and hit more passes because you're getting pressured a lot less on the ball but it's more about the playing style of that team rather than their ability imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

tbp posted:

Wow ableist much

Clearly he's not going to play like that every game but some of his passes were impressive regardless of the calibre of the opposition

• Locked thread