Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Police Automaton posted:

typical non-plat post

Yah, because you gonna use plat to search for a better post, right?, dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i threw away the cardboard sleeve for my copy of metroid prime trilogy so its practically worthless to collectors

livin on the edge. the edge of video games

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Rapman the Cook posted:

Yah, because you gonna use plat to search for a better post, right?, dumb poo poo.

mods

What are you looking at? I'll report you!

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Only good game was Mario.

I've come to the realization that 90%of NES games were the on the same "engine" (was this a thing yet?)but with different skins.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kelfeftaf posted:

I did like that game quite a bit. Action RPGs should have been more of a thing. Much more interesting than tapping buttons mindlessly in random battles.

The Breath of Fire and Lufia games were good second-tier RPGs. I can't think of a particularly bad SNES RPG, but I'm sure there was one.

lagoon was really really bad but i finished it anyway

terranigma was my favourite snes rpg man that game ruled

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ashmole posted:

Only good game was Mario.

I've come to the realization that 90%of NES games were the on the same "engine" (was this a thing yet?)but with different skins.
Engines were definitely a thing, just compare Megaman and Bart vs. the Space Mutants.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Well duh when you write all your machine code by hand and design sprites on graph paper of course you want to reuse as much crap as possible. That's why kids back then said they could "feel" a capcom game, a konami game etc.

The hardware was limited as gently caress too, one of the main reason why everything looks similar is that all the graphics are grouped as 8x8 pixel tiles and everyone had to use the same limited colour palette.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System_technical_specifications#Video

You try being original when all you have are these!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kelfeftaf posted:

the first one was fun. i don't think i gave a poo poo about the other two. what was the point of not having donkey kong in those games?
i'll give you dkc3 because that game was all gimmick levels and kiddy kong. gently caress kiddy kong

dkc2 is the crown jewel of the SNES series- better music, better levels (except for Animal Antics. gently caress Animal Antics), and a better setting

the only cartridge i have in the series is the first DKC. some kid in second grade always wanted to come over to my house and play it. he's got good taste

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

error1 posted:

Well duh when you write all your machine code by hand and design sprites on graph paper of course you want to reuse as much crap as possible. That's why kids back then said they could "feel" a capcom game, a konami game etc.

The hardware was limited as gently caress too, one of the main reason why everything looks similar is that all the graphics are grouped as 8x8 pixel tiles and everyone had to use the same limited colour palette.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System_technical_specifications#Video

You try being original when all you have are these!

they got pretty creative with drawing larger composite images with re-used 8x8 blocks for different things, sometimes mirrored

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Remember legit Nintendo vs Sega wars? Like, some kid would have a genesis so you'd beat the poo poo out of him for having horrible taste. Good times.

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

Nathilus posted:

Remember legit Nintendo vs Sega wars? Like, some kid would have a genesis so you'd beat the poo poo out of him for having horrible taste. Good times.

surely you jest, good sir

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

nesbox.com posted:

What is NESbox?

NESbox is an emulator of NES, Super Nintendo, Sega Mega Drive video consoles, built on Adobe Flash technology and it can only be run directly in your browser's window.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

warroar posted:

surely you jest, good sir

Ah, a 90s kid. Believe what you will. The 80s were a different time.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Nathilus posted:

Ah, a 90s kid. Believe what you will. The 80s were a different time.

I'm a 90s kid who is a veteran of the Console Wars.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Ashmole posted:

I'm a 90s kid who is a veteran of the Console Wars.

Haha. No. War was different back then, son.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Not enough RC Pro Am love in this thread. Best game Rare ever made.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

guys remember hoop and stick

Aug 4, 2010

my family was poor so all i had was old commodore 64 and didnt get NES until much later, dont care tho C64 was awesome

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

www posted:

my family was poor so all i had was old commodore 64 and didnt get NES until much later, dont care tho C64 was awesome

I had a Colecovision in 1983. It rocked.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Carl Seitan posted:

Haha. No. War was different back then, son.

Yeah. As cool as it would be just to say "war. war never changes." in this context its not true.

We're all older and wiser now though. Most of us former Nintendo Crusaders even have the grace and wisdom to mourn the loss of Sega as a console developer, these days. Instead of dancing on the grave while murdering what Sega fanboys are left, which is what we would have done if it was still the 80s. Honestly I'm really glad that decade is over.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

www posted:

Doubleposting but I don't give a poo poo, yall are too slow. Yeah C64 owned. It gets double points for being an actual computer, much unlike the current machines we are all using. Being stuck without an NES as a kid back in the day was still about as bad a blow to your social status and human dignity as can be imagined tho.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
True lies on SNES was great although for some reason they had a level set in the forbidden city.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

empty baggie posted:

Not enough RC Pro Am love in this thread. Best game Rare ever made.

That game was legit fun. Ballin music, too.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Nathilus posted:

Doubleposting but I don't give a poo poo, yall are too slow. Yeah C64 owned. It gets double points for being an actual computer, much unlike the current machines we are all using. Being stuck without an NES as a kid back in the day was still about as bad a blow to your social status and human dignity as can be imagined tho.

yeah we had a Vic-20 in the early/mid 80s, then my dad bought himself an NES at launch for his 27th birthday

I thought it was silly at the time because why would a grownup get a game system it is clearly for us kids but then I bought myself a Wii on my 27th birthday and it didn't really hit me until I got home and hooked it up

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nathilus posted:

Also the 3do was a thing.

with its smug commercials advertising it as a "middle ground" between the shamefully unassertive Nintendo and the flagrantly and needlessly confrontational Sega.

"What time will my daughter be home?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DfoXL5-oNM

(She never left. He had no daughter at all.)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how people seem to thing consoles only recently started to suck complete dick when in the 90's while babbies played Mario kart adults were enjoying the golden age of RTS and WRPG.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
I can't imagine having played that on the NES. Using the D-Pad as a mouse would have driven me crazy.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kelfeftaf posted:

I can't imagine having played that on the NES. Using the D-Pad as a mouse would have driven me crazy.

The part where you had to break out of the jail cell was infuriating

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
I downloaded the entire SNES library a few months ago and have been playing it on and off. Are there any RPGs you guys would recommend besides Chrono Trigger, Zelda, and Secret of Mana?

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Alexzandvar posted:

I like how people seem to thing consoles only recently started to suck complete dick when in the 90's while babbies played Mario kart adults were enjoying the golden age of RTS and WRPG.

*pulls u aside to discuss why your well intended post had some merit, but was terribly executed and now u must die*

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm here to stake out territory for the glory of Nintendo.

Down with Sega, and don't even talk to me about that commodore bullshit.

Aug 4, 2010

Durgat posted:

I downloaded the entire SNES library a few months ago and have been playing it on and off. Are there any RPGs you guys would recommend besides Chrono Trigger, Zelda, and Secret of Mana?

yea i recommend you stop wasting your time on lovely rpgs

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Durgat posted:

In order of quality:

1) Final Fantasy VI
2) Super Mario RPG
3) Earthbound
4) Illusion of Gaia
5) Final Fantasy IV
6) Breath of Fire I+II (II is much better than I from what I remember; same goes for Lufia)
7) Lufia I+II
8) Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Durgat posted:

earthbound.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Play this but just cheat your level high or something because the battle system is hot garbage. It's so hot garbage, there's a mechanic in the game where you can just autowin fights.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kelfeftaf posted:

In order of quality:

1) Final Fantasy VI
2) Super Mario RPG
3) Earthbound
4) Illusion of Gaia
5) Final Fantasy IV
6) Breath of Fire I+II (II is much better than I from what I remember; same goes for Lufia)
7) Lufia I+II
8) Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

Only play BoF 1 if you have high tolerance for ...well everything. Movement is slow on the overworld, somewhat high encounter rate. It is an early era SNES rpg, and has all that sort of thing implies.
The last two bosses also take loving FOREVER TO KILL. JESUS CHRIST.
However, I do enjoy the atmosphere of the game.

If you like ARPG like Illusion of Gaia, I would try Terranigma. It is part of the Trilogy. not in fact, but in a spiritual since.
Soul blazer - Terranigma - IoG. It was never released in the US.

You could also try Star Ocean. This as well was never released in the US. It is , in fact, one of the largest sized (in terms of MB) SNES games. They managed to do some amazing things with the SNES hardware by the end of it's life.

Bahamut Lagoon (again, Japan only, but is now translated) is an interesting duck. Sort of a proto-Tactics in combat movement, you can "feed" your dragons various weapons and items and direct their growth (and their transformations!).

Don't feel bad if you pass over Earthbound. I couldn't get past the damned inventory system. The game throws so much crap at you, I had to start trashing stuff just to fit in "Key Items".
Yes, items you HAVE to have take up valuable inventory space.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

You could also try Star Ocean. This as well was never released in the US. It is , in fact, one of the largest sized (in terms of MB) SNES games. They managed to do some amazing things with the SNES hardware by the end of it's life.

Decent translation too available. Seconding on this one.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Was there a reason Squaresoft didn't release FFV in the U.S. aside from its just not being a very good game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I too am a veteran of the console wars, and now, as the rubble has been fully cleared, admit to being a war criminal and a turncoat. I was a die-hard NES lover, to the point where I can still name 95% of the US releases off the top of my head (yes, a special kind of Nintendo nerd) but when it came time to move to the 16 bit era at around 12, I jumped ship at the very last second and switched to Sega, and rode them hard through the rest of their life as hardware makers. I would get into fights at school over Sega doing what Nintendon't. I nearly even bought a Nomad at one point. I've made my bed and now must lie in it.

• Locked thread