Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Closeknees posted:

The best SNES game was Earthbound. Every time I see it on ebay I want to beat the poo poo out of my early teen self for not buying it.
if you have a Wii U it's on virtual console for a mere $10. buy one and thank me later

also i agree with this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kelfeftaf posted:

the first one was fun. i don't think i gave a poo poo about the other two. what was the point of not having donkey kong in those games?
i'll give you dkc3 because that game was all gimmick levels and kiddy kong. gently caress kiddy kong

dkc2 is the crown jewel of the SNES series- better music, better levels (except for Animal Antics. gently caress Animal Antics), and a better setting

the only cartridge i have in the series is the first DKC. some kid in second grade always wanted to come over to my house and play it. he's got good taste

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Don't feel bad if you pass over Earthbound. I couldn't get past the damned inventory system. The game throws so much crap at you, I had to start trashing stuff just to fit in "Key Items".
Yes, items you HAVE to have take up valuable inventory space.
you have access to escargo express for a reason you scrub

by the way, i hate how every article written about earthbound in the past... let's say three years includes the word "quirky" as a descriptive adjective. that game isn't in the same league as an indie movie where a worthless guy falls for a "manic pixie dream girl" played by zooey deschanel, which are also described as "quirky." gently caress off

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what was that NES game that was made by a japanese guy who hated video games and made it impossible to beat so that he could troll people?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i like smrpg, but it's easier than earthbound, has less cool sidequests than chrono trigger, and has a worse battle system than both of them. it easily goes number three on the essential SNES RPG list (i haven't played FFVI but it would probably rank above SMRPG if i did)

it's still a must-play

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

timed hits are a cool mechanic but i think they make the fights trivial :shrug:

but you're right about its charm and humor, it's why i love earthbound and it's just as abundant in SMRPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh wait wait, no. Good lord, let's not get into making lists or saying what is best. That way leads to madness.
Fun is fun. Just in different ways.
you're right. at the end of the day you can't go wrong playing any of those three games

• Locked thread