Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I have a ton of poo poo going on and I'm about to finally break ground on my new garage, but yet every day I find myself browsing craigslist.

Normally I'm just looking for auto parts or tools, but I was browsing the cars for sale for a friend and came across something very interesting.

This was the exact CL title "1999 VW Volkswagen GTI Drifting Race Car Supercharger Drifter" :raise:

Looking at the pictures (no engine bay shots) I came to a few conclusions:
1) Mid-engine, RWD, supercharged 3.8L engine swap
2) It has the cluster, PCM, ignition, and shifter from a 04+ GTP, so that was likely the donor vehicle
3) Fuel cell up front, engine/transaxle in the rear with a plexi window behind the front seats
4) Roof scoop for cold air and/or water intake :confused:
5) Whomever did this should not be allowed to install a light bulb
6) Hopefully whomever did this at least had decent mechanical skills
7) Someone dumped a lot of time or money into the body work but picked a terrible color scheme. Rear fenders are flared way out with the bumper to accommodate the wider rear track, everything is molded in as well as the roof scoop. After sitting in the sun for the last two years, there is no cracking/peeling on any of the fiberglass/bondo work.

Went and checked it out today. In the rear, the job is excellent. They grafted the GTP subframe to bolt into place in the back of the GTI. Welds are all professional looking. Likely done by a shop. Uses the GTP control arms, struts, bearings, axles, etc in the rear.
Engine looks weathered, but has been sitting for 2 years and the roof scoop dumping water on it doesn't help.
Wiring is gross. Wires all over the place, wires twisted together, no tape, no connectors on junctions, extra connectors doing nothing, crap just hanging around.
Need to take a closer look at the fuel cell and battery mounts under the hood. Looks like it was done by a different person.
Coolant lines run along the exhaust tunnel to the front to a large aluminum radiatior. Power steering lines as well, no A/C lines but it has a compressor.
Was told it used to run and then shut off. Would no longer crank, seller not sure if battery or something else.

The seller (pawn shop :tinfoil:) was ready to get rid of it after having it sitting in their lot for so long. I picked it up for $800. Was about 150 miles away, but I have AAA so I can buy/sell cars to flip so just cost me my gas to go there and check it out.

Just got it back home a couple of hours ago. Already got it running. Not bad for $800.
http://youtu.be/5YKJmYCG4WQ

Need to rip out the interior and start over on that front. Not sure what I'm going to do about the exterior yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's insane and hilarious. Truely the best use of a pontiac and a FWD VW.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is your area like some sort of localized 3800 SII swap disease zone? Does the CDC need to know?

Everyone needs to know because this is hella sweet. Who would build something this retarded and isn't already in AI?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
That is ridiculous and awesome.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

That is loving cool in the dumbest way. Following this for sure, I'm dying to see pictures and more details!

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Jesus Christ that's amazing.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
This is up there with the Morris/Suzuki Frankenstein in the "but why???" department.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

I want one.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
This is absolutely amazing. I want one so bad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't even want to know what disease leads to someone doing that, but at the same time I'm glad you picked it up. Holy hell.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FuzzKill posted:

3) Fuel cell up front,

First order of business is to relocate that to someplace amidships. See also: Lamborghini Miura

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
The roof scoop was letting rainwater get above the headliner, which would then make it's way down to the division window and down into the carpet. First order of business was to gut the interior to get a better look at the wiring and to dry out the inside.

This is the level of the electrical expertise we are dealing with:

Anyway, got the interior out. Might replace the carpet, may not, depends on how it cleans up. Not sure if I'm going to repair this job or start over with a new harness. Lots of poo poo wrong here.

Also, looking for opinions. They built a rear shelf over the engine, and installed two radiator fans on it (2 fans running off of a single 14ga wire!!!). I'm sure the roof scoop and fans generate some air flow through the engine bay, but the air filter is basically behind the driver seat and is closer to the ground. There is no floor pan around the engine, it's all open on the bottom and I feel that's where most of the air flow is coming from. I want to block off the roof scoop (to stop water from getting in) and then have a parcel shelf above the engine. It will probably get warm back there but I don't think it's any worse than a hot engine bay would be under the hood of a car or the interior parts on a hot summer day.

Having a shelf with no fans would give some cargo space which is currently non-existant. But then I would have a roof scoop that does nothing.

Found $2 in change, total cost now $798.

It runs, started every time. Shocking.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Please take a bunch more pictures. This is too good/funny/crazy to not see more of.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
That is flipping mad!

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Can't wait to see this doing donuts, I'm so following this thread.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Image dump!

Letting the inside and carpeting dry out some.

Any thoughts on the rear shelf idea?

Also the gas pedal wires (drive by wire) are long enough for me to remove from the car and stand 5 feet behind the car with the pedal in my hand. The fuel cell has been fitted with a stock pump and sending unit from what appears to be a Chrysler product judging from the connectors.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

What, you want your MR GM V6 swapped Golf to be practical?
Meh, the engine clearly has more space than it needs. I say make your shelf, modify the roof scoop so the passage rises before it goes through the hole so it doesn't drink as much water and duct it down- that way you don't have to fill the bigass hole in the roof.
Also I think a fresh harness is a good idea, it's not like donors aren't plentiful for either car.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 17, 2014

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I'm amazed this person got this to run. I was wondering how they defeated the anti-theft system (non-trivial on this year) and then I see the BCM still there next to the PCM. So they didn't defeat it, they just brought it along.

Steps to start car:
Turn on rocker switch for ignition
Turn (Pontiac) key to 'on' position
Push start button (will not start if Pontiac key is missing)
There is some sort of LCD next to the start button. Not sure if it's some sort of OBD readout or one of the info LCD's from the GTP. Currently doesn't power on.

Need to figure out why the VW system isn't getting ignition power (windows don't work). VW headlights, taillights, door/vanity lights, keyless all work. GTP cluster works with tach and speedo but ECT and fuel level don't seem to correspond correctly. Turn signals, headlights, MIL indicators don't seem to be hooked to the cluster.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Hahaha holy poo poo that paint job! :downsgun:

If you can get this thing moving and driving it'd benefit from a really good vanity plate. "GMTI" or "ChryWgn" could work, but this car kind of feels like a troll in car form and those aren't THAT mean :)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
HOLY gently caress. hahahaha.

Nice score!

this counts as making a GTI fast, right? :D

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
R38?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Holy poo poo this is awesome. Cant wait to see it all sorted out. Best use for a MK4 GTI.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks to me like somebody wanted to make their own Shogun. AI indeed.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Can you take photos of the blended subframe between the VW chassis and GTP subframe? This sounds amazing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
This is loving ridiculous, I love it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
New favorite thread. Holy crap.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

You're a braver man than I for taking that thing on. Dat wiring :stonk:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Any ideas on what looks like the trip computer thing?

The firewall consisted of a foam panel with foil backing, a thin layer of fiberglass, a layer of fabric insulation, and then the carpeting. I think at least one layer of the firewall should be non-flammable, right?

Fabrication on the front end all looks great, either a shop fitted the engine and this idiot did the rest or maybe the project changed hands once already when the first person ran out of money or something. There is no way both parts were done by the same person.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You found a 3800 project crazier and (perhaps) more awesome than the Corolla... so you had to buy it. We all understand and approve.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

How do you feel about Megasquirt?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Tommychu posted:

How do you feel about Megasquirt?

Eh, not the biggest fan. Would make the wiring easier, but would leave a lot of things on the table. This will be easy to have the gauges, trip computer, pedal, all that working with no headaches. You don't see a ton of GM's running MS, because the factory ECU's are so tunable - and this one is no exception.

Speaking of the trip computer, turns out that is the factory 04 GTP driver information center, just disassembled. It stores odometer, trip, distance to empty, mileage, as well as some OBD parameters (trans temp, etc). Will be useful to have. I'd like to see the mileage stored, I did a VIN history and the donor vehicle was a 2004 GTP that was scrapped in 2006, so it is likely a low mileage swap. Of course, it could have been pieced together too, I'll never know for sure.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Hahaha, everything about this is bonkers, right down to the tailpipes. This is going to be an awesome project.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

FuzzKill posted:

Of course, it could have been pieced together too, I'll never know for sure.

Might I suggest a Saturn Ion Redline styled bodykit?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

ugh that wiring looks worse than my Scirocco's when I got it. When I did the engine swap I ended up just tearing everything out and putting the new ECU's stuff in.

I'd suggest starting from scratch and grabbing an engine wire harness from a GTP. The fuel gauge thing can probably be rectified by putting a GTP pump and sender in there. Would definitely put some fire resistant material in between you and the engine.

How hot is the engine getting? My guess is those rad fans probably aren't doing alot, but putting a shelf over the engine would probably generate enough heat to make it impractical for any sort of luggage use. If it was me with the car I'd probably get some venting so the roof scoop goes through a small radiator for the transmission or oil and then to the ground.

The fuel cell looks ridiculously huge, any thoughts on getting a smaller one lower to the ground and converting the front into luggage space? that would seem like the best solution to me.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

those wires :stare:

This... Well good luck!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'd hate to be the engineer who would try to sign off on that work to make the car roadworthy (if that is a requirement).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Is that a series 3 with the electronic throttle body (and updated supercharger)? The trip computer and its associated controls probably needed to be present to the ECU for the thing to run.

E: oops, looks like you already knew that.

Anyways, that is insane and awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

I'd hate to be the engineer who would try to sign off on that work to make the car roadworthy (if that is a requirement).

In most states, the most they care about is whether or not any of it is stolen. Of the ones that care about more than that (any CARB state) they mostly want to make sure whatever engine is in the car is same-year or newer, and not out of a truck.

So, yeah, Fuzzkill is probably the most qualified person who will look at this thing before it gets marked as roadworthy by the state.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

This is an entirely awesome project. Seriously looking forward to seeing this thing move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Ordered some pigtails at work today so I have something to mess with tonight. Also printed out about 50 pages of connector views and diagrams.

Need to get to the junkyard to get more connectors and some VW interior bits. From what I can gather the interior parts from a MkIV Jetta are the same? Can anyone confirm this? Unfortunately I won't be able to go until next weekend.

I think the engine harness can be saved, just everything between the VW poo poo and the harness needs to be started over from scratch.

• Locked thread