Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Whats that Vortec in the background for. :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FuzzKill posted:

Need to get to the junkyard to get more connectors and some VW interior bits. From what I can gather the interior parts from a MkIV Jetta are the same? Can anyone confirm this? Unfortunately I won't be able to go until next weekend.

Interior dash, seats, console are the same.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Interior dash, seats, console are the same.

Yeah, *most* of the stuff is the same. Well, except where it obviously isn't.

Good luck! VW = Varies Widely

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why do I not see plans to move the fuel cell to the passenger seat and reinstalling the GTI engine to go along with the pontiac? Full time 4x4 rally car.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Elephanthead posted:

Why do I not see plans to move the fuel cell to the passenger seat and reinstalling the GTI engine to go along with the pontiac? Full time 4x4 rally car.

Some crazy bastard did mostly that with a VR6 Jetta and a Passat's W8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT9RJljgtz8

I say do it! :getin:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
So what color should it be? Was originally red as you may have gathered from the pictures. Probably going to be dipped as it is cheaper than wrap.

First condition: Color is terrible now, it has to go.
Second condition: No lime green.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think a car like this should almost be a boring, but still non-factory colour.

Something like a light slate grey, with the metallizer sprinkled in a bit.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Harlequin Golf. Always the correct choice. It needs a batshit color to match the batshit engineering.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

FuzzKill posted:

So what color should it be? Was originally red as you may have gathered from the pictures. Probably going to be dipped as it is cheaper than wrap.

First condition: Color is terrible now, it has to go.
Second condition: No lime green.

Black and white stripes like a prisoners outfit.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Harlequin Golf. Always the correct choice. It needs a batshit color to match the batshit engineering.

This. Harlequin plastidip would look fantastic.

...or like utter poo poo. No middle ground, really.

This whole thing is goddamn bonkers and I love it.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Auto or manual trans?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Haha this. One different color can of Plastidip for each panel, it would look awesome.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Its coating must be either boring or all-out ridiculous- but it could be both simultaneously.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Silver or dark red. It should be a pedestrian color.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dazzle camo, some sickening purple/green combo. It makes sense as the engine is in the wrong place you shouldn't be able to see which way it's facing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Slow is Fast posted:

Silver or dark red. It should be a pedestrian color.

Since it has a Grand Prix heart, it should have something like the poo poo tan metallic that most Grands Prix seemed to have been.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Since it has a Grand Prix heart, it should have something like the poo poo tan metallic that most Grands Prix seemed to have been.

I think we have a winner

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hmm that color plus GP wheels....

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Factory silver, replace factory badging.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

T1g4h posted:

meatpimp posted:

Or both.... Harlequin style with boring GP colors.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I changed my mind. Factory GTI color, steel wheels, and Dora the Explorer sunshades blocking any view of the engine.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Either IROC blue bass boat paint or rattle can primer grey.

There is no in-between.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

revmoo posted:

I changed my mind. Factory GTI color, steel wheels, and Dora the Explorer sunshades blocking any view of the engine.

There was a dude on here who had a geo prizm or something stupid that was sprayed to hell and back and maybe turbo'd. It was purple and had a Dora shade and baby on board poo poo.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012
People has to see you! Go high visibility yellow and use a bunch a lot of high visibility tape.:frogsiren: some spider-man sunshades to cover the engine will make it a killer car!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Slow is Fast posted:

There was a dude on here who had a geo prizm or something stupid that was sprayed to hell and back and maybe turbo'd. It was purple and had a Dora shade and baby on board poo poo.

Yeah that is the car I was referencing. The dora shade was hiding his nitrous tank.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

revmoo posted:

Yeah that is the car I was referencing. The dora shade was hiding his nitrous tank.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I happen to have a Dora window valance I would be willing to mail. My second kid is much more into Mickey Mouse then Dora the Explorer.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I'm still up in the air as the car has to be mechanically fine before I mess with it cosmetically, but I kinda like the matte orange color.

Also, a comical side note. The wheels on it are universal 5 lugs, using the smaller 5 lug VW pattern on the front and the larger 5 lug GM pattern on the back. Smart guy!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FuzzKill posted:

I'm still up in the air as the car has to be mechanically fine before I mess with it cosmetically, but I kinda like the matte orange color.

Also, a comical side note. The wheels on it are universal 5 lugs, using the smaller 5 lug VW pattern on the front and the larger 5 lug GM pattern on the back. Smart guy!

...that's kind of genius.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This is fantastic, though I'm surprised it hasn't caught fire with that wiring by now.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Took the BCM connectors apart and removed all the unneeded wires from the connectors. I double checked what was there versus what I would deem necessary, and shockingly it was correct.

Also, removed the 'driver information center' display from the car and figured out the wiring for it. It stores the mileage, trip, and avg speed. It can also display volts, boost, trans temp, compass, outside temp, as well as some other parameters and warnings. Since I did a VIN history with GM on the car and realized it was scrapped very early in its life I suspected it was going to be a pretty low mileage swap ... I was right.

Donor car was a 2004, car had a branded title in 2006. DIC shows only 24,000 miles. Score.

Pics in a few.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Kotaru posted:

Whats that Vortec in the background for. :crossarms:

I promised my brother in law the the 5.3L that came out of the Colorado for his El Camino. I sold that engine but quickly replaced it before he noticed it was missing. Will be a thread for that once it gets tackled. It's going to be a ways away though.

As for the GTI, here are some pics.

Working DIC display, showing current stored mileage.

One of the BCM connectors after removing the rats nest (just power and ground on this one)

The other BCM connector. This one has data communication to PCM, OBD, DIC, and cluster, power, ground, and the security wires going to the ignition switch.

I snuck off to the junkyard at lunch today and got pigtails for a few things. Pictured is the ignition switch.

New PCM pigtail (one of three)

This is one of the most :wtf: moments I've had thus far. The single large pin is the main ground wire for the PCM and all sensors to chassis. They wallowed out the connector and soldered the individual wire to the pin on the computer. And then 3 inches up they twisted it to another wire. No tape, no connector. I think the connector can't be saved, which means I'll keep the ground wire on the new connector and remove all the other wires and then transplant the wires 1 by 1 to the new connector. Better than soldering them all, I guess.

Also have a new pedal/pedal position sensor assembly and a proper pigtail for it. Probably won't need the pedal but I have it if I do. The local junkyard had a 04 Grand Prix last week and that row was gone today. No other local yards have any 04+ GP's :argh:. Also scoped out some Jetta interior parts, going to pick them up as time allows.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus :stare:

I'm assuming you have a really nice soldering station, seems like all you do is wiring :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

leica posted:

Jesus :stare:

I'm assuming you have a really nice soldering station, seems like all you do is wiring :v:

I hope not, he'd better be crimping all those joints :can:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

CountOfNowhere posted:

Good luck! VW = Varies Widely

Got a console from an Mk4, it's different than mine but that could be from the PO frankensteining something to fit. Also got a glovebox from the same Jetta and it does not fit. All mounting points are the same, but the Jetta gets a larger (on the inside) glovebox for some reason and it will not fit into my dash. Awesome. Found another Mk4 Jetta in the junkyard and it did have the right glove box but it was broken. Every other Jetta (10+) were all missing the gloveboxes. They must be made of paper.

I did get some nice black manual cloth seats that bolt in, some interior trim pieces, sun visors, and a few little pieces that were missing/broken. Since I'm going to have to open the hood to fill up, I also replaced the terribly rigged hood release mechanism and cable with some from the junkyard. Works well now.

Back to the wiring, I'm thinking of mounting the ignition switch in the console, Saab style. Otherwise still untangling the rats nest I have inherited.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Any updates on the GTIGTP?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

wolrah posted:

Some crazy bastard did mostly that with a VR6 Jetta and a Passat's W8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT9RJljgtz8

I say do it! :getin:

I want to know how this thing is to drive, what with the 5 speed manual attached to the front powertrain and an automatic connected to the rear. I bet it's pretty scary when you floor it.

OP, this GTIP is awesome and you are living out my highschool fantasy right now.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Have a real firewall 2/3 done, not much time since last update. Once I have the firewall done, going to mount the computer and fusebox and get to work reconnecting things.

Will be exciting to have a firewall that is made of non-flammable materials!

Also, about to re-start my garage build thread. Should be breaking ground in the next week or so on the foundation. The building itself is arriving tomorrow! 30x40x14

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Updates!

I decided to make the firewall out of two pieces, so that I can run the wires into the cabin between the two halves. Extending the wires to put them anywhere else would be a major undertaking and they're better off inside the cabin anyway for heat/weathering/accessibility.

I mounted up the fuse box and PCM, then re-installed the seat to make sure there isn't any issue with clearance. In the pictures the seat is slid back all the way and when reclined it touches the top bar of the firewall before it gets close to the PCM or fuse box.

Looks better so far. Still need to tie in a couple wires and fix a few connectors yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I might have missed it, have you done a burnout in this car yet?

• Locked thread