Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

your trunk is open!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Powershift posted:

your Frunk is open!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Is that a color-shift paint, or is there an orange to red fade in the back?

I think it looks awesome, just needs some details to make it finished externally. What are your plans?

Is the entire rear open motor? Any way to double-panel the divider to cut down on noise more?

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

FuzzKill posted:

What to do about that hideous color ...

Roll with it by getting neon orange rims.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

Is the entire rear open motor? Any way to double-panel the divider to cut down on noise more?

drat, I was just about to make this suggestion. I nice double-pane window should cut down on noise and heat intrusion nicely.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Can you build another panel to fit on top of the engine?

For color, you could always wrap it. Or rock it as is.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FuzzKill posted:

Tires tomorrow!
Registration sometime!

Don't forget the burnout video before the tires. Or else.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
One possible solution albeit in a different mid engine conversion

http://www.enercalc.com/porsche/

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 16, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 248 days!)

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

One possible solution albeit in a different mid engine conversion

Who the hell has ever seen a bong that large?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Viggen posted:

Who the hell has ever seen a bong that large?

Thats actually a incredibly intricate e-cig setup.

*not pictured giant man wearing fedora*

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 248 days!)

Valt posted:

*not pictured giant man wearing fedora*

how does a fedora wear a man? you crazy!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This car crazy.

I vote the paint stays, with lime green wheels.

I'm still impressed by the dual bolt pattern wheels, so simple and elegant. Speaking of which, could you transplant rear calipers and discs onto the drive axle?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 16, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I actually like the paint. :shrug: If anybody laughs at the paint, just step on the loud pedal and get sideways.

That exhaust is bugging me though - is it just me or is one tip sticking a bit further out?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Needs some wider rear wheels, flairs up front, and some nice meat all the way around.

I love this thing!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Bought 4 tires, got 2 mounted. I got some Continental extreme contact 225/40/18 for the front and Dunlop sport something or other 255/40/18 for the rear. Should give some grip ...

Turns out the front spline drive lugs are different than the rear. The rear uses Dorman/Gorilla/generic spline drive M12x1.5 (6 spline). The key from my Genesis works to remove them. The fronts are spline drive as well, but they are some obscure (to me) 7 spline. I checked at work (Advance), then went to Pep boys, Napa, and Zone. All were 6 spline. I ordered a master locking lug removal kit at work - we'll see if it has the right one in it.

I managed to get one off with the socket + hammer trick. Turns out it is 1/2-20 thread. I'm somewhat confused by this, as I think the GTI came with wheel bolts originally and they would almost surely be M12-1.5 as well. Someone got a wheel stud conversion kit for it (a good idea), but how or why they make one that converts it to a standard thread instead of a metric one is puzzling to me.

Also, the work and headache involved in getting the one lug off wasn't worth the payoff. I was using my cheap tools because I didn't want to damage any good sockets or extensions with the hammer. This ended up causing more headache, as the extension broke off in the socket that was just sledged onto the lugnut. I ended up having to weld another lugnut on top of the socket and then use that to remove the lugnut socket lugnut combo. Not something I want to do another 9 times (If I can even get the lugnut out from the socket now)

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Got the other 2 tires on and got it registered! First (legal) road test will be today!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Make absolutely certain that you measure the threads on those stud conversions because having this happen sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z51HgIouwE

(M12 studs, 1/2-20 lugs. They go together just well enough to feel fine and torque down but any real driving loads and they part ways with the vehicle rather suddenly.)

This is a properly mental project and I love it.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Paint thoughts: Just dip the car flat black and call it a day.

Also, congratulations on the registration and being almost done!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

After using plastidip a couple times and never using vinyl, I'd suggest vinyl before plastidip. :v:

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

This car is crying out for a Harlequin paint job.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Chrome wrap.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Godholio posted:

Chrome wrap.

For the inside maybe

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ultimate Mango posted:

For the inside maybe

Good point. Which leaves 1990s Pontiac Manta Green Metallic. Maybe some superfluous plastic body cladding.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Ultimate Mango posted:

For the inside maybe

Nah, put a black strip on the hood and maybe under the mirrors and you'll be good. It's the other poor assholes who will suffer.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Figured out (mostly) what was loose in the front end. The strut mounts were completely shot. I have new ones, but I've put off installing them until I got my new wheel stud conversion kit here. That arrived today, so with any luck I'll get the new struts and mounts installed over the weekend.

I really don't mind wheel bolts that much, but they are going away now because:

1) I don't have the handy wheel installation helper tool
2) The bolts I bought are stock length but a pain in the rear end to get them to bite at first when trying to hold everything together
3) The brake rotor retaining screws broke on both fronts, so in addition to trying to line up the wheel you have to keep the rotor aligned and firmly pressed to the hub

gently caress that.

STUDS!

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

I still fail to understand how people have such a hard time with wheel bolts. Every car I've ever owned has had them with the exception of my miata. All you have to do is hoist the wheel up onto the centering ring and rotate it until the holes line up. Then, you use one hand to hold the wheel against the disc and thread the bolt with the other.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

They're alright if you're using factory wheels, though still a mild pain in the rear end. But once you get into multi-fit wheels (or wheels off a different car with a larger hub bore) without adapter rings, or have broken rotor retainers like FuzzKill poo poo gets massively painful very quickly. Studs are just easier.
And let's not get into all the Mercedes parking brakes I've seen destroyed by people who used the wrong length of lug when changing wheels.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

charliemonster42 posted:

I still fail to understand how people have such a hard time with wheel bolts. Every car I've ever owned has had them with the exception of my miata. All you have to do is hoist the wheel up onto the centering ring and rotate it until the holes line up. Then, you use one hand to hold the wheel against the disc and thread the bolt with the other.

**MY GF'S** 03 jetta has wheel bolts and honestly every time I loving do the brakes on her car I want to drive myself off of a cliff in it. After the wheel bolts are off you need to spend like 10 min per wheel with a deadblow trying to get the wheel off. I have no idea how it's stuck on that hard.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That's got nothing to do with the bolts, it's just a tendency for the hubs/wheels to seize together. A handful of brands have it bad, but BMW is by far the worst. One time while pulling a set of E30 bottlecaps at a junkyard I had to get the loader op to drop the car with all the weight on the last wheel, and it still took 3 hits :catstare:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Good god, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have to whack the hell out of the wheels on my e30 to remove them. Rears only for some reason, though, and it seems to be worse if the parking brake is on....
drat, now I'm wondering if the bolts are the wrong length.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

**MY GF'S** 03 jetta has wheel bolts and honestly every time I loving do the brakes on her car I want to drive myself off of a cliff in it. After the wheel bolts are off you need to spend like 10 min per wheel with a deadblow trying to get the wheel off. I have no idea how it's stuck on that hard.

Slap some antiseize on the face of the mating surface. I remember a few years ago buying the '97 that was in terrible shape and from out east. Both drivers' side wheels were stuck on hard with a firm layer of rust and needed a baby sledge to dislodge.

It doesn't need a lot, usually just a ribbon between where the studs will go.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 11, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Slap some antiseize on the face of the mating surface. I remember a few years ago buying the '97 that was in terrible shape and from out east. Both drivers' side wheels were stuck on hard with a firm layer of rust and needed a baby sledge to dislodge.

It doesn't need a lot, usually just a ribbon between where the studs will go.

I'll do this - thanks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I found working on cars that wheel-siezing rust built up the most between the hub ring and wheel; on the rare occasions I used anti-sieze, that's the only place I really put it.

Rotate your wheels regularly, folks.

And yeah one of my coworkers there had a GTI with no retaining screws, tyte coilovers cranked way down so the camber was out of whack, and a spacer that was only one the front drivers' side wheel, to bring the wheel out flush and match the passenger side, because of how hosed the suspension was. Between the wheel, the spacer, which was a loose fit and didn't want to stay on the hub, the loose rotor, and the hub itself, I had four pieces of metal to line up to get those bolts in. Yeah, I openly started cussing him out after about the second time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fucknag posted:

And yeah one of my coworkers there had a GTI with no retaining screws, tyte coilovers cranked way down so the camber was out of whack, and a spacer that was only one the front drivers' side wheel, to bring the wheel out flush and match the passenger side, because of how hosed the suspension was. Between the wheel, the spacer, which was a loose fit and didn't want to stay on the hub, the loose rotor, and the hub itself, I had four pieces of metal to line up to get those bolts in. Yeah, I openly started cussing him out after about the second time.

I think I would refuse to work on that, for liability reasons :jebstare:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Anti-seize between the wheels and hub is pretty standard here in Canada.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cakefool posted:

I think I would refuse to work on that, for liability reasons :jebstare:

Yeah, this was Sears. Take a guess how well refusing to do anything went over.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.
Do VW's not come with a tool like this

[img]http://www.t4srus.co.uk/ekmps/shops/t4srus/images/vw-t4-t5-quick-align-wheel-tools-[2]-1431-p[ekm]400x463[ekm].jpg[/img]
(random pic stolen from google)

so that you can hang the wheel off of that & have it line up with the other holes?

I swear I saw something like it on a friends E36 toolkit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GrantC posted:

Do VW's not come with a tool like this

[timg]http://www.t4srus.co.uk/ekmps/shops/t4srus/images/vw-t4-t5-quick-align-wheel-tools-[2]-1431-p[ekm]400x463[ekm].jpg[/timg]
(random pic stolen from google)

so that you can hang the wheel off of that & have it line up with the other holes?

I swear I saw something like it on a friends E36 toolkit.

It comes in the toolkit, but it's made out of plastic on a lot of the cars and frequently goes walkabout.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It comes in the toolkit, but it's made out of plastic on a lot of the cars and frequently goes walkabout.

And no-one reads the manual to figure out what it's for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

GrantC posted:

And no-one reads the manual to figure out what it's for?

IDK, I stole one from a VW I flipped because my VW didn't have one.

I still don't use it, but I have it.

Also, wheel bolts don't bother me at all. Both my cars have them... the VW is even missing its rotor set screws and it doesn't bug me much.

• Locked thread