Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's not that hard to bypass the "security" features in the GTP ignition switch, if you want to eventually go back to the VW ignition switch - which should keep it looking a little closer to stock.

You'll have to perform a relearn once you do the modification (which takes about 30 minutes), but it should get rid of the security light - and also allow it to start reliably. I'd do some kind of immobilizer somewhere though.

Also, as you probably know, the GM ignition switch runs on 5 volts, instead of 12 volts; no idea if that'd cause issues on the VW switch, but it causes issues on higher mileage GM switches that haven't been replaced under the billions of recalls yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzKill posted:

Bypassing the security on a 2004+ GP and 2004 specifically is a non-trivial matter. Best bet is to license it with HPTuners and disable the codes, then wire up your own switch. This doesn't work on every car though, and I'm not going to be a guinea pig to find out. Also, the wiring, cylinder, and switch are all missing from the car so it would be just as much to put a stock unit back in.

While wiring the ignition switch, I was checking current draw on the VW system. With the battery wires hooked up, it drew .85A initially, and then dropped down to .3A. The ignition wires however, were drawing about 7A with nothing on in the car. That seems a bit to much for what should only be the VW BCM. Guess I'll need to start pulling fuses and see what is stealing my amps.

I assume it was similar to the anti-theft system on my Saturn :iiam: - does it actually use a chip in the key, or is it the style switch that has 2 switches (one of them is one that only the tip of the key can turn)?

I didn't realize the complete wiring/switch were missing though, and I can't see justifying the cost of an HPTuners license solely to disable Passlock. So.. carry on!

7 amps?!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I assume that year GTP was like most other late model GMs - with the chimes/bells/dings/turn signal sounds/etc going through the radio, instead of having a chime module (I'm pretty sure Saturn was the only GM brand not to do that, and they still gave in on the last models). Do you plan to address that, or just keep it silent? I imagine you would need the portion of the GTP's dash harness that went to the original radio...

Or does it actually have a chime module somewhere?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

Completely serious here- why the hell would you want to repair/reinstall the standard GM annoying buzzers and bells if you finally got away from them? WHY?

I kind of like being reminded if I left my headlights on or keys in the ignition. :shrug:

The turn signal clicker is annoying as poo poo though, and all of the chimes in general are way too loud. I've tried covering the speaker itself in duct tape, but it didn't do much to quiet it down (I assume because the base is open, I think some hot glue will take care of that).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I actually like the paint. :shrug: If anybody laughs at the paint, just step on the loud pedal and get sideways.

That exhaust is bugging me though - is it just me or is one tip sticking a bit further out?

• Locked thread