Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Post about your training camp Hall of Famers and your lost seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The Packers offense looks incredible (as expected) and combined with the new Points of Emphasis I think we're going to see multiple offensive records broken this year a la 2004 Colts. The Packers defense has talented players but can't pull it together (as expected). The Packers injury rate is definitely not living up to expectations and may be cut before the end of preseason.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
the chargers are poo poo and bad and will be lucky to win 4 games

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
How has Peppers looked? Most of the Packers fans I work with have been grousing that he's been looking like he didn't give a poo poo.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

the chargers are poo poo and bad and will be lucky to win 4 games

Buck up, Ross. Pretty much everyone loses to the Seahawks.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

Buck up, Ross. Pretty much everyone loses to the Seahawks.

what a silly world we live in

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DupaDupa posted:

How has Peppers looked? Most of the Packers fans I work with have been grousing that he's been looking like he didn't give a poo poo.

He looked pretty good and managed a bunch of pressure on the quarterbacks. There was one play in particular where he got held the entire play and still knocked down the QB. Also apparently he's already picked up a stupid nickname, "Green Peppers" :geno:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

DupaDupa posted:

He's doing what he's supposed to be doing, which is to say pressure the QB. He only got, like, one drive last game in poo poo weather, but today he got a bit more time and had two hurries (I think) in a handful of drives. Anyone who is worried about his production in the preseason as an ancient player with a guaranteed roster spot is kinda dumb.

But, yeah, offense looks great. Tretter held his own against a great D-Line. The OL doesn't seem to have any questionmarks at all for the first time in forever. Defense looked good but not great.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sorry to sperg on about Peppers, but I'm not sure where anyone's hearing that Peppers looks lackadaisical during camp or pre-season.
I'm actually IN Green Bay, and I haven't heard or seen anything that supports that people thinks he doesn't give a poo poo.
There are concerns because he's an older player being asked to play in a position where that may play a factor due to drop offs in stamina or strength or whatever. However, that certainly hasn't looked to be the case so far.
In today's game, he looked effective, had a couple hurries (as mentioned), and I saw him flat out break through the line untouched on a play that ended up going to the other side. Certainly he could have been allowed through given the play call, but he broke through COMPLETELY untouched.

There's been no slow down in any category that I've personally seen, and the general vibe from people here is that he's going to be an excellent 'Matthews-enabler', or whatever you want to call it.

I'm certainly not saying that he alone is going to be a game changer for this defense, but he's also certainly not shaping up to be a liability.

If anything, it seems to be the secondary's inability to work together to read how a play is developing and properly defending against it. I don't know if that's personnel related or a coaching issue (DOM CAPERS RABBLE RABBLE). However, I've seen Ha-Ha Clinton Dix analyze a play on the field, bark out changes and react accordingly. I don't know if he's been right or wrong in his decisions, but it's been pretty incredible to watch a rookie first rounder do something like that, and it gives me hope that he and the defense are on the right track at least.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
Hey at least all these CB injuries for the Saints are allowing some young guys get reps, right? :downs:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Peppers hasn't cared about football since ~2006.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Joe Flacco looked inaccurate and bad early on against a really poo poo defense. This is somewhat comforting. Regardless of OC, without concern for personnel, there will be Good Joe and Bad Joe. Inconsistency is the only thing he's ever done consistently and that doesn't look like it will be changing any time soon.

Still the best QB the Ravens have ever had :shrug:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Peppers hasn't cared about football since ~2006.

He's been pretty good even so. Maybe too expensive but he's had a nice career either way.

I was going to make fun of SA2K but I realized I'll probably say the same thing about the Chiefs tomorrow.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Luck looked great and I'm liking our WR core. Purfoiy looks like a solid returner, which I'm not sure the Colts have every had. The starting defense looked great, but I couldn't tell if that was them or just the Giants being awful.

Trent Richardson still looks like he's the slowest running back in the league.

And Pat McAfee got try a 64-yard FG for the win. Hooked left at the end, but it was still awesome.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

This

Then this

plus no ints from Fitz has me much happier than last week.

Edit: Sorry about Baker though Falcons; Not sounding too good for him.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Falcons looked like poo poo and our starting lt looks like he is going to be lost...again...not a good night.

Julio did play so there is that I guess.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Houston had excellent special teams tonight and I don't know how to react

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

rebel1608 posted:

Houston had excellent special teams tonight and I don't know how to react

I feel you, it was really surreal after living through a special teams nightmare the last few years.

The Texans didn't absolutely suck tonight. Baby steps.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Just got back from the Houston/Falcons game

-Baker injury did not look good at all.
-Apparently the order of QBs appearing was Fitz->Savage->Fitz->Keenum?
-Grimes is sick
-Swearinger is going to take someones head off
-Lechler seems to be de facto special teams coach on the sideline

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 17, 2014

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Seahawks own and so does Pete Carroll for throwing a challenge flag in a preseason game where they're up by 20.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mark Sanchez good, Eagles D is very bad

Very bad

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Still the best QB the Ravens have ever had :shrug:

Amen

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
:lol: that was amazing. preseason is best season

Garbd
Dec 29, 2008

lol what just happened

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Blitz7x posted:

Just got back from the Houston/Falcons game

-Baker injury did not look good at all.
-Apparently the order of QBs appearing was Fitz->Savage->Fitz->Keenum?
-Grimes is sick
-Swearinger is going to take someones head off

They had planned for Fitz to come in during the 2-minute drill for extra practice. I can definitely see Savage becoming the QB2 after this game.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Raiders/Lions

-Stafford looks real good, but Tarell Brown looks real fuckin bad for a CB1
-Schaub has no time to throw, nor audibles yet so I wouldn't worry about Schaub
-Derek Carr seems super promising
-"Whiners complain about doing their best, winners go home and gently caress the prom queen" -Matt McGloin
-Andre Holmes went from WR1 in the first preseason game to playing the last snaps of the second preseason game. Dropped everything
-Greg Little caught a long ball that mattered except he dropped it and the officials didn't see lol
-They say Derek Carr had a concussion but I bet he cracked a rib or two

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
:lol: What the hell kind of ending is that, Cards-Vikings?

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Huh? Sanchez good?

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

All I heard about in pregame was this amazing Rams D-line and how their defense was one of the best in the league. Then I watched Rodgers and the Packers 1st team offense carve them up for a quarter. I know it's just preseason, but it made me smile.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Clowney is terrifying.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Did he ever go against Jake Matthews? Because that would be a match up I'd actually like to see.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I don't understand the officials ruling that gave Arizona their late touchdown but I'm glad it happened just to see Bridgewater run a 2-minute drill.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I didn't see the game, but how did Teddy B do? His stat line looks pretty good.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Its Miller Time posted:

Huh? Sanchez good?

He looked pretty solid in a situation where he just had to make quick reads against backups.

He's not a good starting quarterback, but compared to the legion of lovely backups, he's near the top of that crop.

Patriots looked pretty solid. They were trying out different offensive line combinations in the first half, and the depth seems fine. Odds are they'll be cutting a guy who can be a mediocre starter for somebody.

Kembrall Thompkins looked much better then last year running with the ones, had a real nice backshoulder catch for a touchdown early on and god I hope he's taken that sophmore step forward. Beyond that Edelman and LaFell looked fine, and Brian Tyms has looked very solid against backups, and is making a solid case to beat out Josh Boyce and the hopeless ones for the last WR spot.

I'd say something about the starting defense, but they lasted four plays before substitutions started happening, but those were a forced fumble recovery and a 3 and out, so yay. Front seven depth is a big issue (see the 2nd and 3rd quarters), as is figuring out who the 2nd safety will be, because holy gently caress is Patrick Chung a disaster. Beyond that I can't say much about secondary play as that part of the game is just unwatchable now.

Oh and Ridley fumbled, but recovered it, because of course he did. Backups didn't look great against what I think was most of the Eagles first team defense, but ran all over their backups. Offensive line was opening mondo holes though against everyone.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Jets were horrible against the Bengals starters in drat near every possible way. No injuries for the Jets though, so I consider it a pretty good preseason game. Next week we might even have a healthy CB on the roster.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Did he ever go against Jake Matthews? Because that would be a match up I'd actually like to see.

I don't think so, I think he left a little before or shortly after Baker got hurt.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

swickles posted:

Decent progress. It's somewhat stunning to have decent QB play after years of Ponder. Cassel is sharper but Bridgewater is showing some zip on the ball, some decently deep passes, some good decision making.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

swickles posted:

Solid game overall. Handful of passes were high that the receivers still wrangled, really good decisions and drove 80+ yards with minute and change to win it. This was all with and against 2nd/3rd stringers of course but still very entertaining.

My favorite play of his wound up being incomplete but he saw one-on-one coverage at around the Cards ' 25 I think and dropped the ball right where only his receiver could get it at fill stride in the end zone . It bounced off Thielen's hands bit still a fantastic flash of Teddy's potential and stark contrast to Ponder.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Giants O-line still very bad

Corey Washington might be good

our depth might be better than yours 27 pt comeback woo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Anyone wanna watch Clowney's TFL in slow motion? :fap: