Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

and nothing of value will be lost OP

I'm not normally one to wish ill on people, but yeah Frank Miller totally deserves to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kelfeftaf posted:

at least cancer got something right for once

They say cancer is what'll get you if nothing else does. I wouldn't have expected a xenophobic, racist, fascist asshat to be so hardy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wouldn't have expected that 300 lb. Samoan MMA fighter to be so hardy.

I wouldn't have expected that brick shithouse to be so hardy.

I wouldn't have expected that triple-reinforced winshield glass to be so hardy.

I wouldn't have expected that Wailing Wall to be so hardy.

---

I guess you're right, although it does take on a bit of a different tone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

After that Promethea gpes on amazing journey through time and space (which is of course based on the Tarot) and another Promethea shows up who is a tough bisexual chick who totally owns that creepy old guy, then that homophobic old FBI agent realises that he really was gay for the version of Promethea who was really male, then there's an issue of you (yes, you the reader) meeting Promethea who tells you how amazing Alan Moore's philosophy on life is, there's a terrible meta-ending to the whole ABC Comics line, and then another issue about the Tarot, or maybe the Kabbalah.

Unlike you, I was desensitised to Alan Moore, which was both my triumph and my tragedy. I think he's still doing comics about younger women who go for older men.

Genuine big fan of Alan Moore, but yeah the wizard-sex and everything from about halfway through Book 4 of Promethea onward sucks the big one, and Moore is so firmly rooted in his "dirty old man" phase of writing it either indicates he gets so much sex he doesn't know how to talk about anything else or more likely he really really wants to be that guy.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's the comic with the rip-off of The One Electronic, right?

Yup. It's still pretty good though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Even Dark Knight Returns blows. It's so loving ugly I didn't even realize that I had no idea what was even happening until I tried to read it again a few years ago.

:qq: BUT IT WAS SO INFLUENTIAL :qq:

(actual defense you're going to hear because you literally cannot badmouth DKR without acknowledging how it cemented the worst interpretation of Batman ever)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:smug: Since you don't even know it's just called "Watchmen" *snrk* I suppose you don't realize that that one actually lives up to its hype and it's merely its xerox progenitors that suck, which aren't its fault :smug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey rad cool guy maybe post an example of a good comic?

Also those stories are cool, the art is gorgeous, evocative and haunting and the writing has amazing personality.

Like I get you hate cool stuff, ok, but these comics are good by many metrics so I don't get where your criticism comes from.

I abhor Frank Miller and once I wasn't 14 I was able to see and realize just how limited and lovely DKR/300/Sin City were, but even I've got to admit you're right that those comics are good by many metrics, however begrudgingly.

.lnk to the past posted:

thread title should have said "i guess it's miller's time"

Ew no way that grognard Linkara makes that joke every time he does a Frank Miller review. Even GBS is above that kind of memetic xeroxing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghaz posted:

lifelong fan

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He looks like Spicolli from Fast Times was kept as a living blood bank for some fascist vampires.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Early frank miller was all "IN TODAY'S NEWS: RAPE!!! RAPE EVERYWHERE AND SOCIETY IS TRASH!!"

Once again Alan Moore had us covered all the way back in '83:

Simstim posted:

Alan Moore wrote a comic called Neonomicon about a crustacean monster repeatedly raping a woman.

This was one of his more recent "dirty old man" comics right? I miss Top 10 Alan Moore. Like literally when he was writing the series Top 10, he was fantastic at that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

comic books are for 12 year olds so i can see how you'd mistake Superman punching Bad Guy to be masterful at that age

3/10 no originality.

Bimmi posted:

I am a grown man who reads superhero funnybooks and thinks they're art and you should take me seriously because

I think I have the right to talk down to anyone despite being a goon because

Phlairdon posted:

Is this an example of good comic art? Because it looks like they're all wearing inflatable muscle suits.

People who don't read comics always point to the anatomy as an example of why it's bad art. Most comics are done on crazy time deadlines so page composition and flow are more often the measure of how well the art "works." That's not to excuse poor anatomy in those drawings, but most truly great comics artists forego realistic anatomy in favor of having consistent anatomy, if that makes sense.

Jack Gladney posted:

Post his Reagan. There are like four pages in each issue where the characters look human and the narrative makes sense. Read those loving tvs and tell me you know what happens. I didn't even know there was a nuclear war in it until a friend pointed it out to me in adulthood like 20 years later.

True that. Miller did some good work in DKR but he was hardly immaculate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You can't make me feel bad I'm a goon :smug:.

• Locked thread