Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Frank

Well gently caress. gently caress this magic poo poo I'm going with what I know.

Frank gets in the newly summoned ute, revs the engine to check it runs, and guns it at the oncoming four men.

Frank aims to run over as many of the attackers as possible in one go.

BCR fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Map:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dunstan usually would try to avoid a fight, he's not what one would call brave, but he was always there to defend what little friends he had when they needed it. He didn't like bullies growing up and he wouldn't like someone hurting someone near him. Smoke getting shot didn't anger Dunstan, but he became intensely focused on the immediate aftermath. He was in 'the zone'. Watching Smoke recover, stand and turn around and somehow change didn't shock him because he was in the zone.

That voice fades in again

"Lei va bene."

"Vai! Aiuto!"

Dunstan gets the geist's gist as he has now recognised where the voice has been coming from. Dunstan stands up and charges towards the nearest target intending to tackle them to the ground.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

I activate Primeval shroud 1. Is that my whole turn? If not, I'll head towards cover. I'm assuming the shooter is in the same direction as the other bad guys and I'm looking for cover from that direction.

Shroud is an instant activation so you can also move during your turn. Best nearby cover would be the ute, otherwise the thicker scrub to the east or south, away from the light of the fire.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Woodstock stares slack-jawed at the confusion of sights and sounds that have erupted around him. The past conversation has been filling his head to overflowing with a bewildering assortment of information and revelations. As everybody begins to move and make noise around him, he raises a trembling hand to his furrowed brow. Several beats of the heart tock in isolation, then another, as he struggles to react to this new situation. Time catches up in a rush and he steps backward, and runs to hide behind the nearest tree in the opposite direction from which the attackers came.

He can see the tree he has picked out, and it's not very big. It's not big enough to hide a man, but his brain has been fried from death, rebirth, and a Phish concert's worth of bush weed. He keeps running to the tree, planning to slide to the ground behind it and curl up into a ball. He gasps "poo poo, poo poo, Oh poo poo poo poo poo poo" as the ragged breath rips itself from his soft and spongy body. He can hear his geist howling in impotent rage as he runs.

One of those guys has a metal pipe, gently caress that poo poo. Roll to see if I make it to that sapling without being seen. After that I'm going to have a smoke and re-evaluate

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Shroud is an instant activation so you can also move during your turn. Best nearby cover would be the ute, otherwise the thicker scrub to the east or south, away from the light of the fire.

Going for the ute then! I'll be ducking into cover behind it, but if I get there in time and Frank is hopping in and cranking it up, I'd like to roll into the back of it.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
From left to right are Thugs 1, 2, 3 and 4. Thug 1 has the chain, Thug 3 has the pipe.

Smoke

Smoke charges towards the thugs, her body continuing to contort and grow as she runs. She grabs hold of the nearest one (Thug 1), a feat made much easier with an extra pair of arms. Thug 1 screams out "What the gently caress?", apparently not expecting to be facing a nightmarish seven foot, four-armed monster with a face full of razor-sharp teeth - grinning, literally, from ear to ear.

Frank

You run towards the driver's door of the ute, hoping like hell that there are keys inside. You fling the door open and jump in. There's a key in the ignition.

No rolls required this round, but getting to the ute, driving over the thugs and then bugging out is going to take a few rounds of combat. I'll keep moving you towards doing this goal but you'll have the chance to change your actions at the start of each round.

Michael

You attempt to channel your new-found power, calling on the strength of the wild to protect you. Visions of violent bestial attacks briefly flood your mind - flocks of birds tearing at a corpse, a dingo savaging a rabbit - but your mind clears almost instantly. A protective layer of plasm surrounds your body. You sprint towards the ute, looking to get out of the sights of the shooter. You easily leap over the side of the tray and twist your body in the air so that you land prone in the tray, facing the direction of the attackers.

Five dice for your Primeval Shroud activation (Shroud level + Animal Ken + Resolve), 1 plasm spent. Success. You have +2 armor bonus until the end of the scene. Six dice to jump into the back of the ute (Strength + Athletics - 1 die difficulty penalty), success. Nice rolls, almost an exceptional success on the jump.

Woodstock

You flee to the south, hoping to find cover in the bush. You cower behind a large gum tree, praying that the attackers can't make you out in the darkness.

Hiding roll (Stealth + Dexterity), four dice, result withheld.

Dunstan

You race towards the nearest thug, not aware that everyone else is running away. You launch yourself Thug 4 but he dodges to the right. You sail just past your target, hitting the ground roughly. You quickly scramble to your feet.
Tackle roll is (Strength + Brawl) minus the thug's defence. Five dice, zero successes.

Thugs

Thug 1 desperately tries to break free from Smoke, but she has him held tight. Thug 2 takes a swing at Smoke, hoping to at least distract her from her grapple on Thug 1. He tries to kick at her legs, but misses.

Thugs 3 and 4 round on Dunstan. Thug 4 takes a wild swing, which hits Dunstan squarely in the stomach. Four dice, two successes. Dunstan takes two points of bashing damage, and has six points remaining. As Dunstan staggers back, Thug 3 swings the metal bar at Dunstan's head, but Dunstan manages to lean back and dodge the blow. Six dice, zero successes.

Another shot rings out from the darkness to the north. It hits the side of the ute, just above the front right-hand tyre. You hear shots being fired in the main section of the fair.

Please provide your actions for the next round of combat. I'm not going to bother with an updated map just yet - Smoke has moved up to thugs 1 and 2, Dunstan at thugs 3 and 4, the rest of you have hosed off into the bush / ute.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Frank

Smoke! Weirdo! Get out tha way!

Carry on trying to run over all four visible thugs.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Woodstock

Woodstock hugs his knees and tries to bury his back into the small tree. He can hear the yells and grunts of people fighting very close behind him, and the roar of a poorly-maintained ute skidding around in the churned up mud.

He realises that a spectral neo-nazi is crouched in front of his face, yelling and screaming, frothing at the mouth.

"Go and fight them, you stupid fairy gently caress! Use the goddamn lighter, what did you think I gave it to you for? Make those faggots burn!"

Woodstock looks down at the eagle-engraved lighter in his sweat-slicked hand. He cranes his neck around to look at the fight he just left. Merde. He used to be quite quick in high school. Maybe if one of them comes after him, he can just run away again.

He jogs back to the fight and feels the power of his geist begin to fill him.

Woodstock uses his key to attempt to pyre-flame rage the thug currently attacking Dunstan.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 13, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Michael sticks his head up over the lid of the ute's tray and tries to pick out where the concealed shooter is.

Can I spend a Willpower on the perception check?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dunstan

Dunstan staggers from the punch and is winded for a second. He immediately wishes he had a suit of ceramalite power armour...

Caul-Grave Digger

..and starts swinging!

Preferably punching iron bar dude first.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Smoke

In a single move, Smoke uses her free set of arms to rip the length of chain from Thug 1, swing it around her head, and hit him with it. Thug 1 screams in pain. Her other two arms have him held tight.
Smoke rolled an exceptional success on the grapple, allowing her to take two actions - taking control of the weapon and then attacking with it. Thug 1 takes four points of lethal damage, and has a 1 die penalty on all rolls from now on.

Frank

You turn the key. For an agonizing few second it seems that it's not going to start, until the engine kicks in with a deep roar. You rev the engine loudly, throw it into gear, and floor it. You drift the car around the fireplace, and in a few seconds you'll have a line on the thugs.
BCR take a look at the map and describe what you're going to try to hit. More thugs = harder roll, and failing the roll might hit Dunstan or Smoke.

Michael

You scan the bush to the north, where you heard the shots coming from. You can make out a shadowy figure standing about fifteen or twenty metres back from the treeline. The figure doesn't seem to be hiding at all, relying on the shadows from the tree to be concealed. The figure is aiming at the car. You can't see any others.
1 point of willpower spent. Roll succeeded.

Woodstock

Having received your pep talk, you run straight back out towards the men you fled from only seconds earlier. You clench the lighter in your fist, and feel the plasm in your blood build, before shooting out towards the thug with the iron bar. Ghostly flames immediately spring up around the thug, invisible to him but clear to you all. The thug immediately breaks out in a sweat, and his eyes unfocus slightly. He doesn't look well at all. You hear your geist screaming with joy. "Hahahahaha! Yes! Burn! Burn, you gently caress!".

1 point of plasm spent. I'm assuming you wanted to go after the iron bar guy. Rage works a bit like the attack mechanism, so the target has a chance to defend. The formula varies depending on which key your using, in this case is (Strength(1) + Occult(2) + Rage Manifestation(1) - Thug's Stamina(2)), so only two dice. But you hit with one of them, so Thug 3 takes a point of bashing damage. Additionally, Pyre Flame key's special rage effect is that the target immediately becomes feverish, which weakens him on a few other rolls.

Dunstan

Your grade 8 teacher once said you thick head, which was pretty drat mean. Although you never forgot it you never took it to heart either, and now you're sure she was lying, because as the plasm melds with your skin, your head - in fact your whole body - seems to be thicker, more resistant to damage. You put all your weight behind a punch to Thug 3's body. The thug steps back but doesn't completely avoid the blow, and you catch him just on his left flank. Your geist starts urgently whispering to you. "Ossa. Cimitero. Forti. Multo forti. Strong boneyard, young one. Close."

Roll for the grave dirt caul activation is five dice, success. 1 plasm spent, you have immunity from being stunned or knocked out for the rest of the scene. Combat roll is five dice as well, 1 success. Thug 3 takes another point of bashing damage.

Thugs

Thug 2, last seen trying to line up a punch into Smoke's back, suddenly stops moving. He blinks slowly, turns about ninety degrees, takes a few stumbling steps forward, then falls to the ground, fast asleep.

You all hear an urgent shout from the bush to the north. "What the gently caress's wrong with Dwane? Let's get outta here!". Thug 3, pipe raised to swing at Dunstan again, looks into the darkness then back at Dunstan, before scowling and making a break for the trees. Thug 4 legs it as well, trying to both run towards the forest and be prepared to jump out of the way of the ute, which is heading their way.

Thug 1 isn't going anywhere, still held tight by Smoke. Thug 2 is fast asleep on the ground.

Zoomed-in map of the area:

Actions for Round 3 please folks.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 14, 2014

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Woodstock

Woodstock breathes a sigh of relief as the thugs run away. His geist is still laughing and making a neck-wringing motion with his hands, miming the murder of his enemies. "There's two left, go kill 'em! Stomp the fuckers!"

Woodstock ignores him, and jogs over to take a burning stick from the fire for some light. He heads towards the first thug, who is still struggling in Smoke's grip. They need answers, and that's not going to happen if Smoke kills him.

Tell Smoke to calm down, and use a point of willpower to convince the thug that they'll let him go if he explains what the gently caress just happened

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dunstan

Dunstan begins to chase after the fleeing thugs but is aware of the ute coming up on his right. He tries to change course and time it so he can jump in the back of the ute as it passes him.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I considered attempting a curse on the car so the engine couldn't ignite the petrol fumes and it would coast to a stop but I have (possibly misplaced) faith in BCR not driving like a country drunk into a densely wooded forest. Also it could be funny if he drives into a tree and cripples himself and starts a bushfire

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Going for thugs 3 and 4, use extra magic to make it happen

Or I can drift and just smash them with the tray end.

BCR fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 14, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Michael is going to throw his knife at the thug with the gun in the trees.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Smoke

Noticing that it's now a very unbalanced 1v1 fight, Smoke throws the chain away and twists the arm of Thug 1 up painfully behind his back. Thug 1 is considering his life choices that led him to this moment and is bitterly cursing that he didn't pursue his passion for accounting. Smoke looks like she's giving serious thought to pulling the thug's arm out of its socket.

Smoke easily succeeds in the contested grapple roll, and chooses to restrain Thug 1.

Ute action

The ute bears down on Dunstan and the two thugs. The ute hasn't had enough time to pick up serious speed, but nevertheless jumping onto the tray is going to be pretty drat challenging. Dunstan darts to his left as the ute roars past, runs alongside the cab and jumps, reaching out for the roll bar. His fingers wrap firmly around it and the momentum from his jump is enough for him to hold on as it yanks his arm. Dunstan clears the side and lands firmly inside the tray. Frank, noticing that Dunstan is now on board and therefore out of the way, puts the pedal to the floor. As the ute nears the thugs Frank throws a hard left and taps the brakes, causing the ute to drift almost 180 degrees, the tray swinging around in a deadly arc towards the thugs. Thug 4, having kept his eye on the ute as it was approaching, leaps out of the way at the last second and rolls into the treeline. Thug 3 is not so lucky. The corner of the tray catches Thug 3 square in the chest, sending him flying. He hits a tree and lies unmoving. As the ute slides past the treeline, Michael lines up the shooter that he had spotted earlier and throws his knife. But the movement of the truck proves too hard to compensate for, and the knife bounces off a eucalyptus tree and falls to the ground.

Lots of rolls here, and most worked out well for you guys. Dunstan's jump roll was Athletics + Dexterity, with a three dice penalty due to difficulty. He nailed it. Frank succeeded in a perception roll to see that Dunstan had jumped onto the tray. For carmageddon, Frank had two contested rolls: Frank's Drive + Wits vs each Thug's Athletics + Dexterity. Frank took a -2 penalty to both rolls due to difficulty, and Thug 4 had a bonus die because he was paying attention to the ute. So 5 vs 5, and 5 vs 6. On the first roll Frank rolled three successes while Thug 3 rolled zero, and the ute at speed does three bonus damage if it connects. So Thug 3 copped six points of lethal damage, one short of killing him outright. For the second roll Frank rolled one success vs Thug 4's three successes, so no luck on that one. Michael's knife roll was (Dexterity + Athletics - ShootyThug's Defense - 2 penalty dice), so only 2. No successes.

Woodstock

Woodstock calls out to Smoke to temporarily hold off on the beatdown, and tells Thug 1 that they'll let him go if he talks. The thug looks across at the death ute doing dougheys around the fire, and then at Thug 3 twitching at the base of a tree. He doesn't seem too convinced. But as you talk he seems to realise that even the chance at being freed is worth it.

Roll is (Persuasion(1) + Manipulation(-1) + three bonus dice - 1 die difficulty penalty). The -1 on Manipulation is an additional penalty for having no points in the skill. Final tally is two dice, and you had one success.

Thugs

Thug 1 is subdued and no longer struggling against the arm lock that Smoke has on him. Thug 2 is still asleep. Thug 3 is out of action under a tree. Thug 4 and the shooter are in full retreat. Woodstock can vaguely make out Thug 4 about ten metres away from the treeline, and none of you can see the shooter.

That's it for combat-time for now unless you guys want to try to chase down the remaining thugs.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dunstan is fist pumping after that ute mounting.

hot

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Woodstock

Woodstock points at the shadowy figure of Thug 4 in the trees. "There's one over there, make sure he isn't coming back!" He yells.

He turns to the captive thug and looks into his face.

"Is he human? He looks human," he says. He pulls a pre-rolled joint out of his pocket and crams the bruised little thing into his mouth.

Woodstock gets blazed as gently caress because he is a little baby with no capacity for dealing with stress.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Frank

Can't go wrong with a Kingswood. Frank gets out of the ute and gives it a loving pat on the bonnet.

Alright, look lively you two he yells as Frank goes to check the third thug and his wallet.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Michael stays in the back of the ute, waiting to see what's going on and if anyone needs help.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

BCR posted:

Frank
Alright, look lively you two he yells as Frank goes to check the third thug and his wallet.

Frank walks up to the semi-conscious thug and rifles through his pockets, before relieving him of his wallet and phone. The thug feebly cries out "Hey, c'mon man!", but otherwise doesn't offer any resistance.

There's no further sounds of fighting coming from the fair.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Woodstock
"Is he human? He looks human," he says. He pulls a pre-rolled joint out of his pocket and crams the bruised little thing into his mouth.

"Looks human to me too."

Smoke turns towards the fair and shouts for someone to bring over a rope. After a short while another two of the Royals come over from the main area, one carrying a length of rope. Smoke moves the thug she's been holding over to the tree where the ute-catching thug is still lying, and sits him down roughly. The other Royals drag the sleeping thug over to the same tree, and bind the three of them tight with the rope. Once the thugs are firmly tied up, Smoke heads over to the fair to speak with Jim. As she's walking she starts to shrink, her mouth and teeth return to normal, and the extra pair of arms recede into her back.

Smoke returns shortly after and notices Woodstock looking a little strung out. She walks up to him and clasps a hand on his shoulder.

"Look, don't stress out too much. We're not going to kill them. Jim against it, for a start. Says there's too many ghosts around without making new ones."

She looks back at the men tied to the tree.

"That's not to say that they don't owe us some answers." She raises her voice slightly as she addresses the rest of the group. "Any of you freshers want to sit in as we have a chat to our new friends?"

It sounds like there's a pretty heated argument happening over towards the bonfire.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Michael slinks out of the back of the ute, retrieves his knife from the woods, and drifts over to the bonfire to listen in.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Woodstock follows Smoke around like a lost puppy, a bit zoned out but just happy that somebody else is taking charge. He reaches into his pocket and starts trying to roll another joint. After five minutes of fumbling around he realises that he's probably okay for now and puts it away. He is a bit sad that the music has been turned off in all the kerfuffle.

That's right, kerfuffle. Roll to see if anybody has a goddamn problem with that

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dunstan walks over to listen, but is really mostly caught up in his imaginary battles.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Frank

Frank gives thug 3 a sharp kick, and walks back to the group. He looks through the phone call manager and makes a note of the last calls received and sent. He pockets the phone, cash and licence. The wallet he throws back over his shoulder.

"gently caress, I could go for a Bundy right now." Franks hands are shaking a little.

"Alright Smoke lets get this show on the road, so we can gently caress off before any more surprises happen." catching the scent of marajuana, Frank smiles a little.

"Hey Woodstock, roll us a rollie, I need the something to take the edge off."

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Just so I'm clear, Frank and Woody are going to help Smoke with the interrogation, Michael is checking out the argument by the bonfire? Which one is Dunstan going to?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dunstan will follow Michael

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

BCR posted:

"Hey Woodstock, roll us a rollie, I need the something to take the edge off."

Woodstock

Woodstock extracts his squashed little bag of goodies from a pocket, sits down cross-legged on the ute-shredded grass, and dumps its contents onto his lap. He peers through bloodshot eyes at what seems like a Chinese finger trap puzzle. A little pink stub of a tongue worms its way out through his teeth as he focuses on the Herculean task before him. He picks up a green little nugget and begins to shred it between broken fingernails. This could take some time.

Roll to see if Woodstock is too baked out of his loving mind to roll another joint

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 17, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

BCR posted:

Frank

Frank gives thug 3 a sharp kick, and walks back to the group. He looks through the phone call manager and makes a note of the last calls received and sent. He pockets the phone, cash and licence. The wallet he throws back over his shoulder.

The wallet has about $200. You slip the cash, and the thug's ID, into your pocket. Unfortunately the phone has a pin code, so you can't access the numbers.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Woodstock
Roll to see if Woodstock is too baked out of his loving mind to roll another joint

gently caress it, why not. Gonna call that a Dexterity + crafts roll.

Woodstock has a look of pained concentration on his face as he gets to work on the joint. He almost drops the half-rolled joint, but his muscle memory kicks in and he brings it to his lips, licks the edge of the paper, and rolls a serviceable J. He passes it over to Frank.

Woodstock and Frank

Smoke leans into the two of you, and speaks under her breath. "Listen, I doubt you guys want to be here all night questioning these assholes. But to be honest, most of the Royals aren't much good at your typical interrogation type work. I need one of you to team up with me for a bit, until we get this guy talking. Whoever volunteers gets to pick their role - good cop or bad cop." Smoke looks at Woodstock's red, unfocused eyes. "Assuming you're up for a speaking role at all, of course".

Tirade fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 17, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Dunstan and Michael

You have a look around the flesh fair, trying to figure out what happened.

It doesn't look like any of the bound here for the fair were killed in the fight, or even hurt. There's another thug tied up near one of the stalls, and the body of another near the bonfire. A small crowd of sin-eaters surround Jim Royal, and they all look pretty pissed off. A tall, gaunt man is leading the crowd.

"You better have a good explanation for this, Jim. Flesh fairs are sanctuaries, not warzones. We assumed you had security covered. Don't tell me you didn't even have a boneyard up?"

Jim tries to calm the small crowd down.

"Boneyard? No. This is Canberra, not New York. You think we felt that kind of security was necessary? You know the cost of running a boneyard for hours. You're telling me you'd be running one for your fair in Brisbane?"

"The Brisbane flesh fair's never been disturbed like this, and we get twice the turnout. I always figured you were running amateur hour here, Jim, but this is beyond a joke. Party's over, and our deal is off. You can deal with your 'problems' here yourself."

"This wasn't an attack, Grant. Not seriously, anyhow. Think about it. These guys had no idea who we are. You think anyone who knew what we are would send a dozen mortals against two dozen sin-eaters?"

The gaunt man - Grant? - suddenly notices the two of you.

"This isn't politics, Jim. It's tradition. Let's ask the newly bound here. What do you think, freshers? You think this is acceptable? Should we ignore the fact that one of our most inviolable celebrations has been violated due to the Royals' carelessness?"

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Tirade posted:

Smoke leans into the two of you, and speaks under her breath. "Listen, I doubt you guys want to be here all night questioning these assholes. But to be honest, most of the Royals aren't much good at your typical interrogation type work. I need one of you to team up with me for a bit, until we get this guy talking. Whoever volunteers gets to pick their role - good cop or bad cop." Smoke looks at Woodstock's red, unfocused eyes. "Assuming you're up for a speaking role at all, of course".

Woodstock

"I'll do it. I'll be good cop. I'll good cop the poo poo out of this guy. By the time I'm finished with him we're going to be spooning in the park and feeding each other strawberries. Do you have any strawberries? No. Ok, that's ok. I'm not really hungry. Let's do this. I'm the good cop, yeah? Right on. Good cop. Good cop. Wait, what about my uniform? Oh no, I get you. Nevermind. I just confused myself for a second. I'm good, let's do this."

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Michael

It sure sounds like politics to Michael. He looks over to Dustan, trying to gauge his reaction.

Can Beet and I make some kind of roll to see if we can briefly communicate our thoughts discretely?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Frank

"Thanks mate." Frank inhales and relaxs a little. "You sound ready to go with being a good cop. Tell you what give old mate over there a go." Frank stabs the ash of the joint at thug 3 up against the tree. "He's already had some good news from a Kingswood and could use some TLC."

Frank runs his fingers through his hair. "Alright, I'm going to be a bad cop. Just so you know, they're getting broken hands at the least. Glassings, chains and pipes sometimes happen in a fight. Bringing a gun, yeah, really pisses me off."

Pre empting a possible look, "I'll do my own dirty work, but I'm not about to send these guys back needing only a good nights sleep to do this all over."

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

Michael

It sure sounds like politics to Michael. He looks over to Dustan, trying to gauge his reaction.

Can Beet and I make some kind of roll to see if we can briefly communicate our thoughts discretely?

You try to catch Dunstan's eye, but he's not really paying attention to you. He's not really paying attention to anything, actually.

Gave each of you an intelligence + empathy roll that you both needed to succeed. Beet actually made his roll while you failed, but it's more in character that Dunstan's not quite in the moment.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Michael

Michael, failing to really communicate with Dunstan, decides to take the initiative. He's also very willing to forgive carelessness, especially if no one actually got hurt.

"Well, sir, respectfully, back at the academy, we tended to judge a good party by how many people tried to crash it. After we threw out the wannabes, the best way to rub it in their face was to keep going as if they never existed." He looks around, realizing this next part should be said confidentially but failing to see a way to do that with everyone's attention focused on him. He decides to pitch his voice slightly lower and hope everyone else realizes they should pretend they don't hear this. "And uh, if you're taking suggestions, I'd recommend taking the troublemakers somewhere quiet, telling the band to pick up where they left off, get everyone a round of drinks, and forget about it."

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade posted:

Dunstan and Michael

You have a look around the flesh fair, trying to figure out what happened.

It doesn't look like any of the bound here for the fair were killed in the fight, or even hurt. There's another thug tied up near one of the stalls, and the body of another near the bonfire. A small crowd of sin-eaters surround Jim Royal, and they all look pretty pissed off. A tall, gaunt man is leading the crowd.

"You better have a good explanation for this, Jim. Flesh fairs are sanctuaries, not warzones. We assumed you had security covered. Don't tell me you didn't even have a boneyard up?"

Jim tries to calm the small crowd down.

"Boneyard? No. This is Canberra, not New York. You think we felt that kind of security was necessary? You know the cost of running a boneyard for hours. You're telling me you'd be running one for your fair in Brisbane?"

"The Brisbane flesh fair's never been disturbed like this, and we get twice the turnout. I always figured you were running amateur hour here, Jim, but this is beyond a joke. Party's over, and our deal is off. You can deal with your 'problems' here yourself."

"This wasn't an attack, Grant. Not seriously, anyhow. Think about it. These guys had no idea who we are. You think anyone who knew what we are would send a dozen mortals against two dozen sin-eaters?"

The gaunt man - Grant? - suddenly notices the two of you.

"This isn't politics, Jim. It's tradition. Let's ask the newly bound here. What do you think, freshers? You think this is acceptable? Should we ignore the fact that one of our most inviolable celebrations has been violated due to the Royals' carelessness?"

Dunstan hated being involvedin quarrels, especially when he wasn't really aware of what the quarrel was about. This was often. His parents, before they separated always invoked Dunstans opinion to try and side with either of them. It's probably where Dunstan developed his 'retreat into fantasy land'.

Dunstan listened to Michael talk and kind of nodded as a way of backing up the new friend who was first to shake his hand at the lookout.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Frank

Frank has a quick look in the back of the ute tray looking for a toolbox. No luck. A quick look behind the drivers seat and there's an old hammer stickng out under a pile of yellowing roadmaps. "Just the job"

Frank looks over the thug, "want a smoke?" And watches for which hand moves.

"I'm an honest man, there are only two ways you're getting out of this

1) Dead after being hit by a hammer, because I really don't like getting shot at.

2) Alive and dropped off at the nearest road.

Now I've hit someone with a ute, and I can make a few jokes about that, so that should let you know what kind of man I am.

So who sent you?"

Roll to get an answer, hit his favoured hand with the hammer if I fail the roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

BCR posted:

Frank

Frank has a quick look in the back of the ute tray looking for a toolbox. No luck. A quick look behind the drivers seat and there's an old hammer stickng out under a pile of yellowing roadmaps. "Just the job"

Frank looks over the thug, "want a smoke?" And watches for which hand moves.

"I'm an honest man, there are only two ways you're getting out of this

1) Dead after being hit by a hammer, because I really don't like getting shot at.

2) Alive and dropped off at the nearest road.

Now I've hit someone with a ute, and I can make a few jokes about that, so that should let you know what kind of man I am.

So who sent you?"

Roll to get an answer, hit his favoured hand with the hammer if I fail the roll

There's not going to be much work needed to get this guy talking. He's trying to maintain composure but he keeps looking towards Smoke uneasily. It's clear that he and his colleagues didn't know what they were getting into when they attacked the fair.

He offers a half-hearted "Get hosed, gramps" when Frank asks his question, but immediately starts talking the moment Frank raises the hammer.

"Woah, hold on, Christ. So we got a tip that there was a wild party due to happen up here, satanic poo poo, orgies and blow, that kind of thing, alright? We figured we'd come rough up a few of ya, help ourselves to the coke, your cash and whatever else worthwhile we could lift while you were all poo poo scared. Except instead you turned into loving monsters! What the gently caress is that about?"

Smoke leans forward until her face is inches from the thug's.

"And who gave you this tip?", she asks.

"Swear to god lady, I don't know. Some guy spoke to Davo - the guy with the gun - said we'd be doing the Lord's work. The 'helping ourselves to the spoils' bit was more our idea."

Smoke pulls Woodstock and Frank out of earshot of the thugs, and talks under her breath.

"This hasn't come at a good time. There's... politics involved, bad blood between Jim and some of the others here tonight. Jim'll want these guys tracked down and publicly brought to justice. And no offence, but he'll want his own on this job, rather than you lot. It's going to throw my plans for the fair right out the window. Assuming this little incident doesn't call the whole drat thing off anyhow.

"I said before I had business to attend to tonight, and I meant it. I have a few jobs that I don't have the capacity to do, and I was hoping to find some sin-eaters willing to take them on. Small chance of that happening now. Tell you what, I'll come find you later on and give you the rundown, some of them might be a good way for you guys to test out your new-found powers. But for now, you'd both best head back to the fair. I need to talk a bit more with our friends here" - Smoke points her thumb back over her shoulder towards the tied-up thugs - "and you probably don't want to be around while I do."

Smoke notices Frank's hand clenching around the hammer. "No, not like that. Not exactly. Jim's got a thing about killing. Physical torture, too. But strangely no issue with the mental variety. And believe me, if these guys don't tell me what I want to hear they're going to have nightmares for a very, very long time."

Sulla / BCR, I'm gonna punt you both back up to the fair unless you've got any burning desire to ask Smoke or the thugs further questions

• Locked thread