Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
late, but David Wright makes me sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Echeverria goddamn

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
When I imagined Marlins @ Coors, I thought about dingers dingers dingers and not this poo poo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, hypothetically, if the season was over right now, the As and Angels would have a 1 game playoff for the West title and the loser of that game would play Mariners for the Wild Card?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

So, hypothetically, if the season was over right now, the As and Angels would have a 1 game playoff for the West title and the loser of that game would play Mariners for the Wild Card?

There are built-in tiebreakers, I believe. The first one that comes to mind is the head-to-head. Is that tied up?

(If the tiebreakers are all... uhm, tied, then yeah, there is a play-off.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Athletics are leading the Angels in the season series 8-3, so I guess they'd take the West, but is the Wild Card taken by whichever of the two teams has a better season record against the other?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

tarlibone posted:

There are built-in tiebreakers, I believe. The first one that comes to mind is the head-to-head. Is that tied up?

(If the tiebreakers are all... uhm, tied, then yeah, there is a play-off.)

They do not use tiebreakers anymore in almost all circumstances where the 2 extra days can be used. They used to not care as much with 1 wild card, but now winning the division means a hell of a lot.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

The Athletics are leading the Angels in the season series 8-3, so I guess they'd take the West, but is the Wild Card taken by whichever of the two teams has a better season record against the other?

Basically, since the A's would win the season series and thus the division in this scenario, then the Angels would simply fall to the Wild Card race. Now, if the AL Central and East had better 2nd place teams than the Angels (in terms of W/L), then the Angels wouldn't even get to the play-in. I don't know what the AL standings look like, though.

Every team that doesn't win its division is tossed into the Wild Card race, and it doesn't matter what the Angels' record vs. the A's is like in the Wild Card race. The Angels' record vs. any other team would only matter if they were tied for a play-in spot with that team.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

tarlibone posted:

Basically, since the A's would win the season series and thus the division in this scenario, then the Angels would simply fall to the Wild Card race. Now, if the AL Central and East had better 2nd place teams than the Angels (in terms of W/L), then the Angels wouldn't even get to the play-in. I don't know what the AL standings look like, though.

Every team that doesn't win its division is tossed into the Wild Card race, and it doesn't matter what the Angels' record vs. the A's is like in the Wild Card race. The Angels' record vs. any other team would only matter if they were tied for a play-in spot with that team.

MLB revised their tiebreaker procedure in 2013 with the introduction of the 2nd wild card. They now basically assume that they can break all meaningful ties on the field in the extra 2 days. There are some extremely unlikely nightmare scenarios between 5 teams fighting for divisions and wild cards where statistical tiebreakers might be necessary, but that is very unlikely.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/playoff-tiebreaker-rules?ymd=20130904&content_id=59527184&vkey=news_mlb

edit: if two wild card teams have the same record for the 2 wild card spots and there is no 3rd team, they just break that tie statistically. I'm only talking about cases where the division is on the line or when you are figuring out which team might be out of it entirely.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, cool, looks like I was right. The As and Angels would play with the AL West title on the line. The loser would be the second Wild Card team and they'd play the Mariners for that spot.

What a heartbreaker it would be if the Mariners won that game. Tied for first in the Division and not going to the playoffs.

• Locked thread