Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

If you are a Soviet player reading, then get out, you Communist Spy and cheater!

For reference These are the infantry orders.

Hopefully, most of these are clear enough, but let me go through a few of them.

Move orders – the fast your men move, the more tired they will get. They will also be easier to spot.
Hunt means to move towards the enemy slowly until contact is made.
Assault orders will send your men forward shouting Charge!
Target arcs focus your men to a certain direction, rather than picking their targets.

Orders for Armour are similar, with reverse being added, as well as orders to button up and open up your tank.

Order Format

I would like orders to be done in the following format.

1st Platoon, 1st Company shall assault the building.

providing a map with the exact positions marked in some way is not 100% necessary, but will make me confusing your orders less likely. Using the correct movement colour would be amazing, if you can do it – if not, don't worry.

You must hold the line! The Russki's are coming for you, and after the failed attack on the rail line, you have no option to dig in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
AT guns, mines, TRP's, kill zones! Gentlemen, let's make this very painful for them.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Jawohl, Herr Grau Jäger, we shall do our duty.

I'm willing to help with logistic stuff - those of you who know me from other LPs may know I have a flair for the bureaucratic. Roll20 seemed to work pretty well for the Soviets, so we should probably set one of those up for ourselves...I'll see if AI can figure it out, but I'm ipad only for the next couple of days.

Superior German efficiency shall win out!

Edit: Hey someone who can still read the observer thread: I posted a transparent grid png in it. If the map screenshot is going to be the same size (a question for grey), would someone mind reporting it here? Anyone with an image editor should be able to combine it with the new map.

Edit 2: can someone go through the old CM LPs and take the combat primers? Seems like it'd be handy for those unfamiliar with the game and those with limited experience. I'll try, but again, iPad limited.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 18, 2014

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

If there's still room left, I'd like to get a unit under Herp :getin:

Dralun
May 22, 2012
Armchair General has a decent series that cover the basics. While done for the Normandy Combat Missions, most of it should still apply.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

TehKeen posted:

If there's still room left, I'd like to get a unit under Herp :getin:

I think we're waiting on Bac to tell us who is in charge of what.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'm Jaguars, and I'm here because I like theorycrafting and helping out the underdogs. I won't be commanding a unit, other than maybe the occasional interim order for whoever wants it but I'll help sniper with the XO duties and dispense tactical advice for anyone foolish enough to listen.

Now the Game's over, you can view the Roll20 sheet here

Handy links
Orders Banner

Link your orders on this spreadsheet

Rolld20 Planning sheet

Order of Battle

Casualty list (Current: Turn 16)

Paint.net is a free download that works like MSpaint, but has layers so you can edit easily. It will speed up order maps tons!

Artillery call-in times

Maps:(Thanks Dralun and Sniper4625)

Map with named features:

Editor Mode map with Building heights:

(Thanks Dirt Worshipper)
Contour map:

Town area maps:

Real life co-ordinates:
54.327211, 28.356228
(Paste into Google maps)

Videos
Map Preview
Vid 1 - 1:30'00" to 1:26'00" - The VVS - A primer
Vid 2 - 1:26' - 1:21'00"
Vid 3 - 1:21' - 1:19'00"
Vid 4 - 1:19' - 1:17'00"
Vid 5 - 1:17' - 1:15'00"
Vid 6 - 1:15' - 1:12'
Video 7 - 1:12' - 1:10'00"
Vid 8 - 1:10' - 1:08'00"
Vid 9 - 1:08' - 1:07'
Vid 10 - 1:07' - 1:05'
Vid 11 - 1:05' - 1:03'
Vid 12 - 1:03' - 1:01'
Vid 13 - 1:01' - 59'00"
Vid 14 - 59'00" - 57'00"
Vid 15 - 57'00" - 55'00"
Vid 16 - 55'00" - 53'00"Has frontline status check
29 October - Vid 17-Kind of - 53'00 - 51'00
1 November - Video 18 -51'00 - 49'00 - On the offensive!
BAAANZAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIII

Orders:

CO's orders: Ground and situation
CO's orders: Mission and support

Tutorials - Basic:

Orders, how to win a fight
HMGs, Tactical movement
A Panzergrenadier Platoon (Thanks Kenzie)
Ambushes

Combat mission wiki on move commands

Tutorials - other:
More detailed battledrills

Forest fighting by Kenzie
A tip on urban fighting by Kenzie
Tutorials and example games from Bacarruda
Tank Warfare

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 7, 2014

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Hello Germans. :godwinning:

Since we have no time to dig in, I take it this is almost immediately after the last battle. So do we get mostly the same OOB with some reinforcements or something? Fusiliers might not be so bad on the defensive.

Dralun posted:

Armchair General has a decent series that cover the basics. While done for the Normandy Combat Missions, most of it should still apply.

I've seen those before, and they're worth a watch. One of those videos was done with the Italy game as well, but all of the CM games are pretty similar. The biggest changes between games are with the different weapons and unit organizations. The hordes of Soviet SMG troops you can get with Red Thunder are quite a bit different from American troops.

Aside from weapons, another one of the differences in Red Thunder is that Soviet infantry are much more brittle when splitting their squads into smaller teams, as opposed to the more flexible western troops. Italian troops aren't allowed to split squads at all, and behave almost like a WWI-style army. Soviet troops had improved a lot by this point of the war, and they can split squads, but they get bigger morale penalties when doing so unless their teams are kept in constant contact with their officers.

The abundance of radios are another big difference between armies, and their importance seemed to be overlooked in the last battle (unless I missed something while reading those threads). Soviets get few radios, and usually only their battalion HQs or above get them (same with Italians). Germans on the other hand often have radios right down to the platoon level.

Germans can afford to split their squads, spread out quite a bit and still keep in contact with higher HQs. This means they can share spotting info more easily than the Soviets, and are usually more resilient under fire.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 18, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Okay, whose turn is it for the outhouse duty? (loving our thread tag)

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Reporting for duty!

Bacarruda, can we get a list of players that have been chosen for command? Thanks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Signed up as a company commander, reporting in.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

In the last game, we had a banner that was put at the head of all order posts, which was incredibly handy when you needed to locate someone elses orders, and no doubt helped grey out as well. To this end I've created the most cliché teutonic banner possible:

Alternatives welcome, but whatever we go with, should be consistent in size and colouration.

If you needed to edit your orders significantly after you posted them, the best way was to edit your original post and then make a new 'orders' post with a link to the original orders. That way there wasn't 2 copies of your orders hanging round. Someone also did a spreadsheet so Grey was provided with links to every order from one place.

I've just created a roll20 setup that can be used for brainstorming and planning orders. I'll need to send each player a link as the game is private. Hopefully as a free member I'll have all the privileges to needed to create everything. When I do the players I'll make, Baccaruda, Sniper and the company commanders admins as well.

Some advice to all commanders that I'd like to get in on the first page: Paint.net is a godsend. Mapped orders make the jump into the game actually resembling the commander's intentions. I urge you all to try it out, it's not too hard to bluff your way through it.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Thanks for getting that set up. I agree wholeheartedly that image orders are key - it takes only a few seconds, and will help Grey minimize inadvertent errors.

Here's the grid overlay. 1900 x 1600

Edit: huh, I forgot I pulled some impressions from the map when I isolated the grid. I'll do a cleaner version when I get the chance, but this should suffice until a better version is made (if the new map shot is the same size)

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 18, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I tried to look at the roll20. What does it do? We're not playing PnP RPG here so I assume there's more than just rolling the dice?

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 18, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Valiantman posted:

I tried to look at the roll20. What does it do? We're not playing PnP RPG here so I assume theres more than just rolling the dice?

We should be able to mark up a big map, make notes, have a more private chat, etc. Lots of helpful stuff.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

It's mostly for the map and little unit cards to do planning and positioning with.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Think I was put on the German team. Hallo, leute. Would appreciate an invite to roll20, hope it works on my phone!

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Speaking of roll20 - I'm guessing I should post my email for an invite as I don't have PMs, yeah?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

TehKeen posted:

Speaking of roll20 - I'm guessing I should post my email for an invite as I don't have PMs, yeah?

I'll post an adress that I use for internet stuff and eveyone can send in. I can PM guys who have that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's make Herp proud.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I just realised that judging by the roster posted by Bacarruda none of the armour commanders (including me) has any CM experience.

This has the potential to end poorly.

Jaguars! posted:

I'll post an adress that I use for internet stuff and eveyone can send in. I can PM guys who have that.

I'm not sure I understand - are you saying you'll post a link in here that has a link to the roll20 thing? Or am I misreading it?

I appreciate having an advisor onboard, by the by. There will probably be dumbass decisions aplenty on my part. :v:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

If you want to get a Roll20 inivte, E-mail me with your forums name at

removed

alternately, you can just post here and I can PM you.

I've loaded up a bunch of player tokens, but there's no map as yet, so have a muck around with the all the tools. Note the player list is strictly a placeholder - we should be able to change the names once we know what everyone is going to do.

(BTW: we loaded up a bunch of vaguely german themed music, if you want to turn it down, theres a volume control under the gear icon on the far right.)

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 7, 2014

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Please PM me an invite at your discretion. I'm going to try and mess around with the game a bit today and get a little more familiar with the orders and options.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Requesting a roll20 invite. I have PMs (grenade icons represent)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've sent an email to you Jaguars, thanks for handling this for us, it'll help considerably.

Reporting in for Company Command, already have plenty subordinate officers willing to work with me.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Kommandant Bacarruda, you'll be happy to know that the fuhrer has allocated us overwelming superiority in infantry map markers.

Keep an eye on that guy on the left, he's been making rude gestures behind your back.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Any idea on the map yet? I'm reading German Field Fortifications 1939-1945 to try and get some idea of how this stuff should work IRL, and it's describing a 3-layer defense that's at least 6 km deep.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I doubt we'll have 6km to work with. How about we use the plans for the Maginot Line?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any idea on the map yet? I'm reading German Field Fortifications 1939-1945 to try and get some idea of how this stuff should work IRL, and it's describing a 3-layer defense that's at least 6 km deep.

Well, one demo mission definitely had foxholes and they looked horrible. I don't know how effective they are, since I spent a lot of time ordering T-34's to blindfire that location. But we can expect the other team to roll out all kinds of superheavy stuff, I guess.

Unless they decide to be cheeky and assault us with waves of desantniki on T-34/76's.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

JcDent posted:

Well, one demo mission definitely had foxholes and they looked horrible. I don't know how effective they are, since I spent a lot of time ordering T-34's to blindfire that location. But we can expect the other team to roll out all kinds of superheavy stuff, I guess.

Unless they decide to be cheeky and assault us with waves of desantniki on T-34/76's.

I just finished dying playing that mission as Germans. A T-34-85 firing a HE shell at the foxholes caused casualties with almost every shot but only 1-2 per shot. With infantry I was able to exchange fire quite effectively.

One other thing I found out is that you have to be SUPER anal about lines of sight. I suggest that every schreck team or tank commander or anyone with an intent on shooting at specific points, be it tanks or machine guns or whatever, toys with the idea of including their intent to Grey. He's not be able to put in if-clauses for things like "if spotted, do this" BUT I'm sure he can comply if you for example order a tank like this:

quote:

[IMAGINE MAP WITH VARIOUS MARKINGS HERE]

TARGET ARMOUR ARC according the image
HUNT along the purple line
if there's no line of sight to the enemy tank marked with a red circle from the end of the purple line, HUNT along the black line instead

We probably don't have the ability to check out every nook and cranny in-game so something like that might help.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm kind of expecting them to bring out the heavy guns - ISU-152s and the like. Certainly the IS-2s were scarily effective against our Panthers, and if we're on the defensive, well, they're going to know they need to break MG teams and structures. The 152 is just devastatingly effective at that, and at shredding armor. Coupled with the minute-by-minute turn structure limiting our ability to be reactive to enemy action, and I feel like the slow firing, potent weapons are more dominant than they might be if we could, for example, note that a particular unit has fired and attempt to capitalize while it reloads.

Also, I'm pretty confused about the point system; now that I've bought the game it looks like the pricing for units is not consistent with what Grey posted last battle, in particular the relative cost of tanks versus tank destroyers. Is that something that Grey tweaked himself, or some game setting? I'm just trying to figure out how to estimate enemy force possibilities.

Edit: I did a quick battle where an IS-2 managed one hit kills of both my Panthers, and then destroyed a King Tiger from the front in three shots. Those things are disgustingly effective. Given that we don't have anything in the arsenal that has the same combination of frontal invulnerability and overwhelming firepower, I think we need to do some serious planning about optimizing the effectiveness of our tank/antitank weaponry behind cover. Going over sight lines is going to be vital for the infantry spotters, too, and giving advice on how to keep our people alive to do so would also be helpful.

Velius fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 18, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Velius posted:

I'm kind of expecting them to bring out the heavy guns - ISU-152s and the like. Certainly the IS-2s were scarily effective against our Panthers, and if we're on the defensive, well, they're going to know they need to break MG teams and structures. The 152 is just devastatingly effective at that, and at shredding armor. Coupled with the minute-by-minute turn structure limiting our ability to be reactive to enemy action, and I feel like the slow firing, potent weapons are more dominant than they might be if we could, for example, note that a particular unit has fired and attempt to capitalize while it reloads.

Also, I'm pretty confused about the point system; now that I've bought the game it looks like the pricing for units is not consistent with what Grey posted last battle, in particular the relative cost of tanks versus tank destroyers. Is that something that Grey tweaked himself, or some game setting? I'm just trying to figure out how to estimate enemy force possibilities.

If I remember correctly from the OTHER demo mission, Panthers can kill ISUs at range (I think it's 152s in the demo). The question is, how many can we get? And would it be more prudent to just take 88s or whatever?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

What we need is for small, sneaky Panzerschreck teams to be positioned in places as a trap to the enemy armour. They'll pack a lot of it. Fangz will want to steamroll us with speed rather than any careful advance. We shouldn't expect them to be thorough, there'll be a clearly exposed flank which they'll ignore. We have to find that flank and exploit the living poo poo out of it.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

sniper4625 posted:

I think we're waiting on Bac to tell us who is in charge of what.

Ask and ye shall recieve!

--

Note: this order of battle is very much a rough draft and I want honest feedback about it. My apologies to those I couldn't squeeze in. I worked long and hard to make sure as many people as possible had spaces.

Grey has mandated that we spend 1000 500 points on fortification, which leaves us 4432 4932 points for tanks, infantry, and artillery.

German Order of Battle, Version 1

1 Battalion (Panzergrenadier)
-CO: Bacarruda
-XO: Jaguars!

1 Company (Panzergrenadier): sniper4625
-1 Platoon: Kangra
-2 Platoon: simplefish
-3 Platoon: JcDent
-4 Platoon (Heavy): FellFire
--1 HMG Section (2x MG42s): Mans
--2 HMG Section (2x MG42s): MrMenshevik

2 Company (Panzergrenadier): Kenzie
-1 Platoon: Valiantman
-2 Platoon: Dark_Swordmaster
-3 Platoon: eigenstate
-4 Platoon (Heavy): markus_cz
--1 HMG Section (2x MG42s): Velius
--2 HMG Section (2x MG42s): vuk83

4 Company (Heavy) Dralun
-Light Infantry Gun Platoon, 75mm: Dralun

1 Recon Platoon: HerpicleOmnicron5
-2x Scout Teams: HerpicleOmnicron5
-2x Sniper Teams: Affi

1 Armored Platoon:
-King Tiger VIB: Soup_Inspector
-Panther VA (mid): anilEhated
-Panther VA (mid): Arbite
-Panther VA (mid): Chunky Monkey

1 Heavy AT Platoon: Dirt Worshipper
-2x Pak 43/41 88mm

Artillery:
-Mortar Section (Heavy), 120mm mortars off-map

Fortifications:
-Target Reference Point x5
-Trenches x10
-Foxholes x10
-Foxholes x10
-Concrete MG42 Bunker x3
-Wood MG42 Bunker x2

e: Grey has changed his mind! Only 500 points must be spent on fortifications!

e2: so, what fortifications should we delete? What should we spend our shiny new points on?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 18, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The indomitable Konig Tiger! Proud German steel indeed.

I gladly accept command responsibility for 1st Company.

Do we have a map yet?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe swap some heavy mg42 sections w/81mm mortars? And the at guns are gonna get plastered as soon as they open up. Maybe swap w some marders?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Someone give me a lowdown on how sniper teams work.

(I promise to kill as many headquarters as possible, or tank commanders.)

(are there tank traps or mines available?)

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Why did I choose this force?

Let's start with tanks and anti-tank guns. The Russians are probably going to bring heavy tanks (IS-2s) and heavy assault guns (ISU-152s). We should also expect at least a company's worth of various T-34s. To counter this, we need well-armed, well-armored units that can quickly and accurately destroy Soviet armor at range.

The three Panthers can kill most Soviet armor at range. If well positioned, they'll make mincemeat of T-34s. But as we saw last game, they're going to struggle against the Uncle Joes. This is why I've chosen to bring along the King Tiger and the Pak 43/41 88mm AT guns. The AT guns can frontally-penetrate any Soviet tank. They're low-profile weapons ideal for locking down key chokepoints. The King Tiger can be used as a mobile reserve, using pre-planned ambush positions to counter Soviet heavy armored advances.

Now for the infantry. The Panzergrenadiers I've chosen have two MG42s, a Panzerfasut, and a Panzerschreck in squad. This gives them a great deal more flexibility and punch than the Fusiliers we used last time. If used well, they're more than a match for Soviet armor and infantry. Good positioning will be critical, though.

On the artillery front, we're a little more undergunned than I would like. We only have the 75mm infantry guns and a 120mm mortar section. Having the 5 TRPs will help speed the reaction times of our fires, though.

I'm not married to any specific fortifications . I want all/most of the infantry units to have trenches or foxholes. This will greatly increase their survivability to Soviet artillery, small arms, and tank fire. We'll see what the map looks like, but it may make sense to put some points into barbed wire or mines.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What we need is for small, sneaky Panzerschreck teams to be positioned in places as a trap to the enemy armour. They'll pack a lot of it. Fangz will want to steamroll us with speed rather than any careful advance. We shouldn't expect them to be thorough, there'll be a clearly exposed flank which they'll ignore. We have to find that flank and exploit the living poo poo out of it.

I'm glad you brought this point up. You're probably right that the Soviets will simply try to use weight of numbers to hammer us. As the recon platoon commander, you're going to be my eyes and ears. Put your men far forward of our main line, get eyes on the Soviet's main effort, let us know how many people they have, and where they're heading. That'll give us time to readjust our lines to meet their attack.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Damnit, demoted. :arghfist::hitler:

I will earn my collar decorations back with most valorous performance here!

e: 88s will draw enemy indirect fire like no tomorrow, for a good reason. How well can we fortify them?

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Grey Hunter posted:

You must hold the line! The Russki's are coming for you, and after the failed attack on the rail line, you have no option to dig in.

I'd like to know more specifically what our mission is. Stop them from reaching something? Destroying something? Capturing something?

• Locked thread