Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Reporting for duty!

Bacarruda, can we get a list of players that have been chosen for command? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I would also like the Roll20 invite. You can PM me. Thanks!

As for the battle, I find it more interesting to try to defend both towns instead of just packing everyone onto the west side and waiting. So let's deploy in the eastern town as well, and attempt some orderly retreats to further lines of defense. This has the added benefit of slowing the enemy down - if we just deploy to the west, we're giving them too much time to come and destroy us. Plus the western town is such an obvious defensive spot that it will be bombed to oblivion.

I would very much like to deploy my heavy platoon somewhere by the river on the southern half on the map, to provide crossfire on the eastern village and cover the open southern fields. The area is too open to deploy a whole company, but I think we can hide a couple o HMGs and mortars in the trees quite well.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

That overview goes both ways. If they can see us, we can see them... and our 88s are way less visible. I suggest hiding them somewhere where they can see the ridge, except to the obvious western village, which will inevitably be under artillery barrage.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

IIRC, tanks cannot go through woods, and there are only a couple of places where they can cross the wooded areas in the east. I'd place the mines here, not on the bridges. Mines are primarily meant to scare the opponent and slow him down, not necessarily cause casualties. If they encounter mines right away, they'd become pretty paranoid and will advance only slowly.

On the contrary, mining the bridges might be too little too late - by the point the enemy tanks start crossing the river, the battle might be already lost. The don't really have many reasons to cross the river with tanks anyway. Not if they can fire from afar.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 19, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Well, we'd probably not be worrying too much about East Town. It's West Town that we're going to focus on, right? If we can lure them over the river and isolate an enemy group to wipe them out, we'll be able to easily counter attack. And if we force them down to the fords, there is the chance their vehicles will be immobilised by nothing but nature.

I don't know how the scoring works, but if we have two objectives, and we manage to hold only one of them while the Soviets take the other, isn't that a draw, not our victory?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Also, do not mine the bridges it we want to withdraw our tanks over them.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

If I had to vote, I'd prefer deploying one company to the woods, and the other to the east town to guard the fallback position. Is that Emil?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Bacarruda, I just want to say I appreciate how you give enough leeway to subordinate commanders. After watching you in the previous thread, I was afraid you'd micromanage everyone to the point you'd be playing the game on your own. You've proved me wrong. Sorry and thank you. You're giving orders that are specific enough while allowing your subordinates to set details and actually determine something so they can enjoy the LP. We should all follow your example, down to the bottommost rank.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Kenzie, what do you think of deploying our heavy platoon (my command) to the large triangular peninsula south-west from the eastern village, or even more to the south? It seems there are enough trees to provide cover, and it should give us good line of side to both Gregory and the village itself (with the strategic point Wagner). Plus it would be easy to fall back.

My reasoning is that my HMGs have 1000m effective range and the small teams would get massacred in the woods, so I'd rather place them somewhere to the open where they have good sight of Gregory and can shoot soviet infantry from afar with impunity. You should still have enough firepower in the woods from our 3 regular platoons, plus the 1st company will have its heavy platoon to cover the north.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 21, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Affi posted:

do we have a orders spreadsheet?

We do.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

2 company, 4 platoon (heavy)

We will be deploying apart from the rest of the company. Our task is to provide long-ranged fire support on the Anna attack route – anything from Route 66 east is our killzone. Don't worry about the woods and the town itself, that's a job for the rest of the company. They have LMGs of their own. I don't want you to get drawn into close-quarters combat. If the enemy gets too close, we will withdraw and leave the fighting to the rest of the company while we establish firing positions further away.

Velius, deploy at McDonald's farm. The large building has an east facing window that has a great view. Sadly, tanks will likely fire at you once you're spotted. I want you to hold fire until you have a nice, juicy target, then open fire and once tanks will notice you, bugger off. Deploy the other HMG outside the buildings at your discretion. As you will have to abandon McDonald's sooner or later, start thinking about fallback positions.

vuk83, deploy somewhere around the following circle, at your discretion.

You will provide fire on the wheat field that goes along Route 66, the hedge between the field and the route, and the woody dong there. Finding good firing positions is the difficult part here. Please consult the sreenshots I'm reposting below, perhaps ask someone with the game for help. Two-floor building in the town are a good bet. Or there seems to be a hedge along the outer road (the red line) that could have line of sight. Another promising spot is the corner of the large trapezoid potato south of below McDonald's - there is a hedge there and it probably overlooks the eastern fields.

In any case, keep your distance. I want you to be 500+ metres from the wooded hedge along Route 66.

Tehkeen, await further orders.

Relevant screenshots:

===============================

Kenzie, do you insist on keeping our mortars in the west? Since I have to be with them, that leaves me completely out of touch from my HMGs. I'd prefer to keep my platoon closer together. Is there a place in or around the village where my mortars would be useful? The northern farm perhaps? Or a copse of trees somewhere around the main bridge? I don't have the game so I can't check unfortunately.

===============================

Anyone with the game, I would appreciate your help with finding good firing positions in the town. As I've said before, we need something with a good view of the eastern fields. McDonald's is obvious, but is there anything else? High buildings, hedges along the edge of the town itself... So far there have been mostly zoomed out pictures of the town so it's hard to tell. If you could post some pictures from the point of view of our potential gunners, I'd be grateful.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 24, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I've suggested before that the southern (1st) company's HMGs could be placed in trees along the river and on the Porkchop Island to murder everything that tries to attack via Gregory.

I don't think it's very plausible that the Russians will go south though. That open ground puts them at a severe disadvantage.

EDIT: Wait, this is the north, not south of the map? Oh... I already have HMGs at McDonals's which covers all approaches to the nothern woods by the river.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 24, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

As for your HMGs - advice wanted on this front from anyone. I'd like to have them as far back as possible while still able to provide support - any thoughts on where exactly that would be is welcome.

This looks like a nice position for at least some of them.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Velius, those orders look fine. What is the reason for not starting already deployed though? Protecting from artillery? You're not likely to come under ground attack in the first couple of minutes so it's up to you.

Does that screenshot mean you have access to the game? If yes, would you please help us finding good firing positions in the town? See the rest of my order post. It'll be useful both for vuk83 and for our future fallback positions, so the more potential firing positions we have, the better. Thanks!

EDIT: Aand, vuk83 has posted in the meantime. Looks great. Good luck guys!

EDIT2: I'll link the post. But for the future... there is a # sign at bottom left of your post. Clicking it (or right clicking > copy link adress) give you the specific link to your post.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

An "amusing" fact I'm not sure has been mentioned thus far.

We've been pushed back quite a ways, it seems.

There's Studenkas everywhere, it seems to be quite a common name. Our map is actually "Studzionka" in Google Maps (it's a matter of transcription I guess). Then there is "Studénka" in the Czech Republic, and there are bound to be many others around the Slavic countries.

EDIT: The Russian wiki lists a truckload of them...

EDIT2: Posting a link doesn't work. SA seems not to handle Cyrilic characters well :( Ty googling Студенка.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 24, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Grey...

2nd Company, 4th platoon, HQ will deploy next to its mortars (see Tehkeen's orders for their placement). Please place me anywhere 20-30 metres from the mortars so that I have C2 with them and they can use my radio. Ideally, I want a concealed position with a clear line of sight to the east.

This is the ideal deployment. Please make sure I am in shouting distance from both mortars.

=========

Tehkeen, sorry for the delay, we've sorted this with our CO so our deployment is finally set. You and me will be deploying according to Kenzie's wish. Please issue an order for your men.

Kenzie posted:

4th Platoon

The best spot that I can think of for our mortars is in this treeline in front of the west village:

There is a great view from here and they can provide direct fire support to several key positions in front of 2. Kompanie's main line of defense in the town. From here they can hit the northern fields, the dong, some parts of the treeline along Route 66, some areas in the middle of town, and some parts of the Troll Forest, all with direct fire.

The mortar section HQ will not have a radio, which means the 4th Platoon HQ will have to be sitting there right next to them if I want to call in indirect fire.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 25, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Tekheen, when deploying your mortars, make sure not to deploy them on top of the 1st company's mortars. Use empty wooded spaces. See the screenshot below:

Dralun posted:

Markus_cz,

The other mortars are in about the same position as you propose.

Thanks, Dralun.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Dralun, I've just deployed into the western village and if I'm not mistaken, my HQ squad has an LMG. So we have at least my machinegun covering the north against sneaky scouts. And I'm only one of several squads stationed in the west. We do have fighting people there. Sure, they're mostly occupied by firing big guns, but in a pinch they can easily shoot a scout or two.

EDIT: Plus, they can't really sneak by the northern edge. There is an open field in the middle, covered by 2-4 of my platoon's HMGs.

EDIT2: VVV What? Those cheap Wehrmacht bureaucrats, they won't even hand out machineguns to their brightest minds?

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 25, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I didn't expect myself, being far west, to be one of the earliest casualties. :(

(Well perhaps I've survived - Grey didn't click the HQ team.)

What are those trucks BTW? I didn't know we had any.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Tehkeen, hide the cars somewhere. Also make sure your second mortar team doesn't die like the first (and my HQ). I suggest moving to the trees and using the hide command.

Kenzie, don't you worry about those mortars. They're under my and Tehkeen's command, we'll figure something out. We promise you will have your firepower when you need it (well at least some of it). Our mortars are placed where they are because the spot you wished was already occupied by 1st company's mortars.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Velus and vuk, your task is to provide fire on Route 66 and the surrounding treeline. Its up to you which part you'll target though I think the Russians are unlikely to go north.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Sorry, I was phoneposting, now I'm finally at my computer. Our HMGs are supposed to cover the whole road all the way down to the village (where the wheat field ends and houses begin). I want the whole area covered, though deciding how many machineguns to point where is at your and Velius' discretion. As long as you have at least one covering the northern section, feel free to point the other one more to the south.

My guess would be that most of Russian troopers will be coming from the woods to the east, not through the open areas in the north. However we could use your fire to make their tanks button up.

However you decide now, I'm fine with it. We have recon at the front so we should have enough information to eventually reposition as needed before the fight begins.

EDIT: Herpicle or Affi, whoever is up north, I dare you to headshot their tanks' commanders!

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 1, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Orders for 2 Company, 4 platton, HQ squad

Grey, please make sure my HQ is concealed in trees or bushes. If it isn't, move it FAST to nearest trees/bushes. In any case, let them HIDE on the spot.

I'm confused as to which team is mine, hence the vague order. If you could spend a couple of seconds in the video to click through the various squads and teams around our mortar deployment, I'd be grateful. Seems there has been some confusion with deployment orders.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Oh yes, they are. It's visible in the video.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I am alive! It was indeed my assistant who died!

Velius, please doublecheck your HMGs. They seem to have abandoned the main building. Specific placement is still up to you, I'm just making sure this is not a mistake. And since you have the game, please send me screenshots of what you can see from your intended positions. I'm particularly interested in how far to the SE you can fire. Thanks.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

vuk83 posted:

Im gonna be away from my computer the till sep. 10th.
Markus_cz can you cover.

Oh OK. I'll try not to get you men killed.

2 company, 4 platoon, 2 HMG Section (vuk83)

No change in orders.

2 company, 4 platoon, HQ Section

If the squad is already hiding in trees or shrubs, face east and keep hiding.

If it isn't, move FAST to nearest trees or shrubs, face east, then hide.

END ORDERS

============

Velius, when you are back to the game, I'll need you to help figure out where to place our HMGs. I was thinking of redeploying one of vuk's HMGs to the south-east to help the rest of the company, but if I move them to any of the houses Baccaruda recommended, they will be far too close to the frontline and completely open to a flanking attack from the woody dong. At the moment, I think we're most vulnerable to attack from along the woods around the southern part of Route 66 and the wooden dong... and we're deployed to counter just that. So I'm thinking our current deployment might actually be the best?

Anyway, if you figure out something better while looking around the map, please let me know.

Kenzie, I'd appreciate your input as well.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Somebody with the game, can you please send me pictures of what you can see from this house:

Thanks!

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Dralun posted:

It's a one story barn. Looking north is blocked by houses, NE you can see part of the wheat field as it drops in height. You can not see any part of the dong or the woods along route 66. You also cannot see down the road that runs in front of the house.

I can do pictures later on. What is it you want to be able to see? Might be able to give you options that way.

Oh well, an useless building then.

I was thinking of moving one of the HMGs closer to our guys to help them defend against attacks from the woods – it seems the Russians will be attacking mostly along Gregory. So I was trying to find alternate firing positions that wouldn't be to exposed to a flanking attack from the dong. Anything with a line of sight over our final defense lines would be great.

But I think we have enough time and we can probably stay where we are for the time being.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

We're discounting a mass attack along Anna too easily. I'm still worried that they could pop down a huge smoke screen and then humanwave their infantry into the town.
Fortunately out scouts don't confirm any movements like this ATM.

Kenzie posted:

[micromanaging]
Maybe I'll have the most trouble with this one. Since I have the game and can zoom around the map anywhere I want, it will be hard for me to resist ordering everyone around and saying "put this team here at this exact spot, dammit!" I'd like to give a lot more leeway to the units in my company once the battle for the town starts.

I think the best way here is for you to provide options to your subordinates. You have the game so you can find the best spots, which is OK - we platoon commanders appreciate this info since we don't have the game and can't see it ourselves. But it's best to provide several suggestions and let the platoon commander themselves choose, even if you know which one is the best. In other words, be intentionally vague. This might not be the most effective way - the platoon commanders might end up in weaker positions - but it's the most engaging one for everybody involved. If people start getting demotivated, we lose.

That said, I think you're doing a splendid job!

Also, speaking about it, I'm still looking for good HMG positions. I already know the one in the blue circle is good. What about those two houses with yellow arrows? Do they have windows on the top floor? What can I see from them?

Velius, if you can, please send me screenshots of the view from McDonald's top windows. Thanks.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

2 company, 4 platoon, HQ squad

Continue doing nothing. Stop hiding if you are hiding.

2 company, 4 platoon, 2HMG Section (vuk83)
(taking over for vuk who's not present)

Undeploy both HMGs. Move them QUICK along the following routes:

HMG labeled 1 is to enter the the building at the end of the arrow. Go to the top floor, and deploy the HMG facing from the eastern window. I repeat, deploy and face east.
This is the building and window I'm talking about :

HMG labeled 2 will go to the trees at the end of the arrow. There should be foxholes. Find an empty foxhole and deploy the machinegun, facing north-east over the open fields.
If there are no foxholes there or they are all occupied, deploy in the area using some bushes for concealment and face north-east over the open fields.

END ORDERS

==================

vuk83, I'm sorry I'm commandeering your guns. I wanted to wait for you but you've said you'll be away till the 11th, and we probably need to move those HMGs faster. The reason for doing so is that in their current positions, they can't see poo poo (read previous pages). I'm moving them to better positions. When you come back, you are free to seek for better positions and redeploy the guns again as needed. The current placements are not set in stone.

Velius, I know it's not your fault but you're HMGs are running around like chicken and not doing what they should be (= be prepared to fire on route 66). I need you to fix this ASAP! Devise some sort of orders that will make everything clear to Grey Hunter. Make sure you link the order post to the spreadsheet on Google Docs. Good luck.
Also, bear in mind I will withdraw you if you come under tank fire. Since you have the game, you might want to start planning your fallback options and alternate firing positions.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 7, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Well if you have any special plans, I'm listening. I'm like three meters from you (unless you're already dead) with nothing to do so we might at least scheme to overcome the Russians.

EDIT: sorry, I know commanding mortars isn't the most thrilling job around. Hopefully someone will eventually drop out and you will take their place.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I think it's a re-posted map from the previous turn. That would explain a lot.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

We should immediately move all our tanks to the north and move them in pairs. For example, that ambush position in the dong is very nice but if we only put one tank there, it will destroy one Russian tank and be blown up itself. So keep our forces together. If we go in peacemeal, they'll kill us one after another.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

People with the game, how does HIDE work? If I've issued it once in the past, will my people keep hiding forever? If yes, I think we have several squads and platoons that need to be specifically told to unhide. Their commanders might have forgotten about it.

Tehkeen, this is up to you:

Bacarruda posted:

Kenzie
Get your mortar team's ammo trucks into cover. They'll still in the open.

Dark Swordmaster, what happened to the Russian platoon that you've caught in the open? Seems you have lost it out of sight. I would recommend moving at least one team forward so that we see what they're doing.

Baccaruda, thanks for the map of good firing positions. That will come in handy for the HMGs.

vuk83, your HMGs are still moving so if you want to put them somewhere else that where I've sent them to, please refer to Baccaruda's map and choose some nice firing positions.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Are you sure withdrawing most of 1st company is wise? We aren't sure where the main attack is coming from, and there are Russians in Mirkwood coming towards the 1st company's current position - the enemy has even bombarded the area. I'm not sure where Baccaruda got the confidence that the main attack will happen in the north. So far we have seen almost no infantry.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Velius posted:

let me know if something else is desired.

IIRC, the team in the building isn't facing north-east towards route Anna, but rather south-east towards the positions of the rest of the company. This is not necessarily bad - we still don't know where their infantry will be coming from. But keep this in mind and don't forget to redeploy as/if the situation changes.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Perhaps each officer should make sure that his direct subortinates are accounted for.

(Mine are. You go, 2nd company, 4th platton! :):respek::) )

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I've just realised that the grid - with density like that - actually makes the map less readable. Perhaps we should stop using it.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

So the airplane again hit my platoon? Seems like we've earned ourselves a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Kenzie, have we actually ordered the mortars to deploy smoke? TehKeen surely hasn't. Is your HQ supposed to do this?

=======

:siren: Attention all higher officers :siren:

I suggest we use separate posts for (a) giving orders to your subordinates, i.e. people in the thread; (b) giving orders to your HQ squad (i.e. Grey Hunter) and posting the link to the Google spreadheet.

Ideally, the Google spreadsheet should only contain links for actual in-game squads, without all the chatter that you send to you subordinates. For example, I've just noticed that Kenzie links this post as orders in the Google Spreadsheet. But that post is useless to Grey Hunter. It doesn't contain a single command for Grey Hunter to do, and there's so many other words that it's actually quite likely to confuse Grey.

Come on, people, we know that Grey is prone to create "fog of war" effects, let's try to make everything as clear and simple as possible.

• Locked thread