Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Everything looks good to me so far. I think we may have to worry about a slow, methodical advance. If I were the Soviets, I would be expecting traps and looking for unlikely places to strike.

Just so I'm clear, does 4 Platoon include the Heavy Machine Gun teams? What exactly am I in charge of? Any advice on placement would also be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

My main worry with any of the HMG teams is the open spaces between the West and East Villages. Any withdrawal has to go through them and we leave ourselves open to getting caught in the fields.

While I like the idea of deploying forward to disrupt their advance and buy time, what does time actually gain us? I agree with Dralun that deploying further west is to our advantage.

Could we get a list and location of fords and bridges along the river? What are all of the possible avenues of attack? I think we should narrow it down to the most exposed, eliminate the most defensible/covered, and start from there, before we choose where to deploy.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Did we ever figure out why the mortars were not moving in the last game?

I think we may run into issues with enemy artillery. They could easily be planning early barrages onto both towns to destroy an cover there, as well as the forests. The Soviets have an advantage in that they know what we need to defend, which means they can focus any attack there.

I see a few different options for the Soviet attack:

1. Straightforward, assault the East Village using the roads. Vulnerable to our interior lines and being able to keep our forces centrally located. One trouble with defending the East Village is that the trees come right up to it, meaning that any attack will have cover.

2. Harass any forces in the East Village enough to keep them pinned, but not enough to make them think that they need to leave. Send a force south to target the West Village. This would probably be done under the cover of smoke. There was talk of it in the observer's thread at the end of the last game of a nearly continual use of smoke. I don't know what the cost of this would be, but a well-timed barrage could cut off the EV from any WV support, effectively dividing our forces.

I think we risk having a substantial amount of our men trapped in the EV. We should limit deployment there to what is necessary for spotting and other harassing activities. It looked to me like there are only a few roads connecting different parts of the map, especially on the east. In terms of mines, I think we should concentrate there. Forcing them to come through the forest would slow them down greatly and reduce cohesion.

We also should not spread our line too thin, since an unexpected breakthrough (and what breakthrough is expected?) would leave a flank vulnerable. I don't think we should concentrate on one spot, but on three or four, say, the WV, armor focused in the open between the villages, able to cover the EV and the south, some spotters in the EV (but only in the part nearest to the bridge, so that they can leave quickly without getting trapped), and maybe one more. Possibly a unit toward the south, near where the road turns west? In case they ignore the south entirely.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

I think ambush tactics are a good idea. For a checkerboard formation, how far apart should we spread the units? What is more likely, that the Soviets counter by calling in an artillery strike, divert around, or both?

I am most in favor of Plan Emil. Failing that, I think Plan Cesar would be the most fun from a viewer perspective, and is almost certainly not something the Soviets would expect. I don't think we have enough troops to pull it off successfully, however.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Velius posted:

That's the trick, though: you're depending first on Grey to tolerate a crazy flow chart of orders for every unit on the team, and on the ability of that flow chart to include relevant contingencies. I agree that it would be great if we could, for example, have a situation where a column of enemy armor advances in front of their spotters, and we can kill them en masse from range without them updating orders. But it seems far more likely to me that we let them dictate where they're going, and we end up with our units desperately out of position at the six minute mark.

Grey has in other places said that he will not take If --> Then orders. If we could avoid having him alter the turn length to avoid revealing our strategy, that would be best.

I'd also like to note that he said he had to remove the rarity limits. I don't think anything we brought is that rare (maybe the Tiger?), so it suggests that the Soviets are bringing an interesting mix. High-end tanks are generally rare, I don't think infantry units are, correct?

I am worried about the ANNA infantry location. It looks exposed if they encounter a heavy force to the north. While GREGORY protects the southern flank of the village, if the Soviets crash north and blow by ANNA, they could cut off the entire detachment with no opportunity for withdrawal. I recommend moving the point to P4.

How long does it take HMGs to pack up? I think when we deploy we should have heavier units behind better defenses closer to point VASILY, while the more mobile troops take point.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

markus_cz posted:

This looks like a nice position for at least some of them.

I am not sure if placing them in an open area is a good use?

Here are where I would like the HMG teams, the mortars, and the company HQ to be placed. I want one HMG team covering the right flank of our line, as well as any units that try to come around to the south. I want the other unit able to cover the withdrawal from first contact of 2 Platoon. Target arcs for that unit should be set so that it reaches to where the first line of defense is placed. Units should be placed in foxholes.

Suggestions are appreciated. I hope I am not micro-managing too much.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

MrMenshevik posted:

Can I get some feedback on this proposal for HMG placement?

Or is this a better option?

Either way, the second gun supports the withdrawal of the first, then the 2nd moves while 1 covers.

Edited to include second option.

I prefer the first option. Retreat lines and locations look good.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Orders to 1-4 Company seem fine. Thanks Mans and MrMenshevik. Tehkeen, feel free to move your mortars further back, or onto a higher spot, as you deem necessary.

For the mortars, how will orders and spotting work? I know that having my HQ near the company HQ helps with speed, but should I also be near the mortars? What about spotting, since the trees are going to hide sight lines.

Also, a reminder that setting up retreat positions is great, but you will only go to them if you order it. Grey will not send you there if the fighting gets hot.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Units

Confirm that you are where you intended to be, based off of Grey's video.

Otherwise, all units should sit tight, continue previous orders.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Can someone confirm, is my unit the ones in purple? It looked like when it was highlighted on the video that one of the HMG units is all the way back in the east village, which is not where (I think) was intended in the orders.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company

Continue previous orders (stay put). Double-check target arcs. Also, double-check that the unit you are giving orders to is actually your unit.

Could I get an answer as to where my mortars and HMGs are? Are they the purple highlighted units?

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Thank you!

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Mans posted:

It takes two minutes to dismount an HMG, right?

I believe so, yes.

1-4 Company

Remain in place, continue previous orders.

Mans, you are cleared to move to the town. Other 1 Company units take note that your support is shifting position. A withdrawal may not be covered.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company

Sit tight, but don't break out the cooking stoves.

On the West vs. East issue, not only does this offer a more entertaining battle, but I think that it gives us more options for our defense.

That said, we should still destroy the bridges north and south of town soon. We are likely to get bogged down in town at best and it is better to do so sooner than have to divert resources when they are needed.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company

Remain calm. No further orders.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Platoon

HQ: remain in position

Mans: Orders look good. Is the more eastern HMG far enough forward to support McDonald's Farm?

Mr. Menshevik: Orders look good.

Jeoh: I think it is safe for you to unhide and get ready to fire.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company

HQ: continue previous orders.

All units' orders look good.

Does anyone have a fire order out for Jeoh's mortars? I've never written one out before, so I would have to go back and check how to do so. I think we should get some artillery onto the Russian line as soon as possible, especially near where 2nd Company is.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Jeoh, looking at the map, I would want a bombardment to parallel the Green Belt from near the sound contacts down to where 2nd Company is being engaged.

Could we use more than one mortar unit for this? It sounds like our ammo is fairly limited, or at least it felt that way when going through the demo. One unit could hit the sound contacts, another the more southern force.

Sniper, I am busy for the next few hours, so I can't put together a map and orders yet.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company HQ

Remain in place

Mr.Menshevik Post your orders to the spreadsheet.

Mans Post your orders to the spreadsheet.

I will try and come up with some provisional orders for them in the next hour or so, if they don't get orders in.

Jeoh Fire plan looks good and is approved.

See revised orders

Fell Fire fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 30, 2014

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Fell Fire and Jeoh, keep in mind that you don't have a spotter for that mission. So Dark_Swordmaster's HQ team will have to move to an exposed position at the edge of the woods to call that in. It'll take about 6 minutes to call in that mission without TRPs. So by the time you get a spotter into position, call in the mission, and rounds start falling, the Russian will probably be headed towards you.

Your best bet will be to use our existing TRPs. This cuts the time for missions to 3-4 minutes and allows us to call in barrages with no spotting rounds.

In other words, I'd hold off on calling a fire mission for 2-3 more minutes. Then I'd call in a mission to hit the Russians as they cross Route 66 and head into town.

Thanks for the information Bacarruda!

1-4 Company Revised Orders

HQ: Remain in place

Mans: No orders posted. Continue previous orders and deployment. I copied your last orders into the spreadsheet for this turn.

Mr. Menshevik: No Change

Jeoh: Given what Bacarruda said, I am going to cancel your fire order until we have a better idea of where the Germans will be when we hit them. It looks sound, but the time delay is too great right now. We should plan one for TRP 4 (or a less exposed spot with a spotter) either next turn or the turn after that.

That said, can anyone hit where the Russians are in the next few minutes? I would like to not just let them get away.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company

HQ: No changes.

MrMenshevik: Continue previous orders

Mans: Continue previous orders

Jeoh: Is anyone still alive? This may be my fault, I did order you to unhide.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Orders

HQ: No changes. I am going to fall back to the town next turn.

Mans: Remember to update the spreadsheet.

MrMenshevik: Looks good.

Jeoh: Weeps softly.

Addendum to Jeoh's orders. Move any remaining men along a line parallel to the road to the forest southwest of current position. I think a couple units have already run there themselves.

Move the truck to cover in a similar area.

That was a really well-timed and executed artillery strike. They will be pleased with themselves when they find out.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Orders

HQ: Maintain position.

Mans: Orders look good.

MrMenshevik: Please post orders. Based on these images, it appears that your teams are out of position:

These are your orders.

This is how they appear in the video. The HMG in the forest needs to pack up and move to where it is in the first image, with a facing along the arrow as indicated. I am unsure from the photo if the second team is in the building or not. If they are in the building, I think that that is a better spot for them at present.

Jeoh: Orders look good.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Fell Fire posted:

These are your orders.

This is how they appear in the video. The HMG in the forest needs to pack up and move to where it is in the first image, with a facing along the arrow as indicated. I am unsure from the photo if the second team is in the building or not. If they are in the building, I think that that is a better spot for them at present.

Chunky Monkey posted:

Any chance I could get some screenshots of what those guys can see and shoot at? It looks a lot like they are either not in good cover or in places where they can't actually see anything to shoot. If they are in crappy spots, and depending on orders from above, I'd be tempted to move them a bit to better spots while we still have a moment.

Here is a copy of the latest with your units highlighted (The unit near the center of the image and the one in the house in the middle-left) and an image of MrMenshevik's placement orders. Final placement is up to you, but I believe that the center unit needs to be moved to be more effective. Potentially closer to the open area to the bottom of the images, so that it can better cover the area. I think the one in the house is fine, but final placement for both units is up to you.

I am not aware if the target arcs were ever cancelled. If you have the time, please be specific as possible in your initial orders. Welcome aboard.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company Orders

HQ: Stay put.

Mans: Update orders if necessary. I put a "no changes" in your blank.

CM: Orders look good.

Jeoh: Update orders if necessary. I put a "no changes" in your blank.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company

If anyone lower down wants to take one of the other commands, go ahead, I can run that unit as well as my HQ.

HQ: Remain in position. I need to find a good place to fall back to. It looks like the position the southern half is in may end up forming a salient.

Mans: Please post orders. I have asked for a confirmation of position/facing.

CM: Orders look good.

Jeoh: Please post orders.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company Orders

HQ: Remain in position

Mans: Seems good. There should be Soviets headed your way before too long.

CM: Orders look good. Make sure that your units take up position and deploy.

Mortars: Thanks Jeoh for all the work you have done.

Can someone post these to the spreadsheet? It will not load for me.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company Orders

HQ: Move toward Company HQ. Directly right in the image.

Subunits All orders look good.

Will this put me back in contact? I originally tried to put my HQ near the Company HQ, since Sniper mentioned that being closer would mean faster communication times. I don't own the game, so I am not sure what caused the lack of communication and what I need to fix it.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

markus_cz posted:

Is this your HQ?

I thought your HQ (1 company, 4 platoon) was back in the western town, next to your mortars. When I look at the map Grey posted, there is a HQ unit next to your mortar - which I assume must be you.

In any case, the HQ unit in the west town needs to be moved next to the mortars.

I have no idea. Whenever Grey Hunter clicks around on the units, it shows as my unit, right next to the 1st Company HQ in the forest.

Does anyone know?

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Kangra posted:

I can't get a screenshot since I'm on a crappy connection, but check out this point in the click-through.

The HQ in the woods is definitely 4th platoon HQ. The one back in West Town is the [Section?] HQ for the mortars, as far as I understand it, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable on CM units.

I've been a bit busy but do plan to put some preliminary orders up tonight (pending company orders, unless I missed them), and hope they don't get too screwed up this time.

Thanks.

I strongly suggest pulling back out of the forest and heading for Downtown. We are being overrun and cannot maintain our position without support.

In retrospect, trying to hold the houses just northeast of the forces was a mistake. I didn't chime in when we were discussing it and I would have agreed with holding them, though.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Company Orders

HQ: Move QUICK as indicated in the image.

Mans: Current position seems fine. You might actually get to do something soon!

CM: Positioning of Gun 1 looks good. I am a little concerned that Gun 2 is too far back to support, though. Looking at the most recent map, it is well behind the current defensive line and I don't know how well it can see. Please consider repositioning.

Mortars: We have one mortar left, with 2 crewmen, and the 4 mortar support personnel. Is it possible to combine them? Beyond that, does anyone have advice on using them? I am not sure how effective they will be.

Edit: See revised orders on the next page.

Fell Fire fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 30, 2014

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

markus_cz posted:

Don't know about combining them but your problem right now is that the mortars are out of contact. You need to move the 4 platoon HQ (the one near the mortars) next to the mortars. This will make them available again.

Are these the correct locations?

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

Yes, they should have moved to scavenge with the mortars man, but didn't. The marked HQ is actually Mortar section HQ, 1-4 Platoon HQ is the one you've given orders to in the troll forest, I believe.

Thank you for the clarification. I was not even aware there was such a unit.

Revised 1-4 Company Orders

HQ: Move QUICK as indicated in the image.

Mans: Current position seems fine. You might actually get to do something soon!

CM: Positioning of Gun 1 looks good. I am a little concerned that Gun 2 is too far back to support, though. Looking at the most recent map, it is well behind the current defensive line and I don't know how well it can see. Please consider repositioning.

Mortars: Move units QUICK as indicated in the image. We have one mortar left, with 2 crewmen, and the 4 mortar support personnel. Combine units if possible. Please advise if this is not possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

markus_cz posted:

Fell Fire, an idea... If your mortars are out of contact, they should still be able to fire directly on their own, right? I mean - they should be able to fire at whatever they see. You might want to try giving them a direct order to fire somewhere.

No idea what their field of view is, though.

==

EDIT: In related news, can someone with the game (Velius, Kenzie?) please check what my mortars can directly see? I'm most interested in the area around McDonalds. Thanks.

Thanks for the idea! Could I get the same for my mortars? Looking at the map, I don't think they have a good LOS where they are now.

• Locked thread