Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

We certainly don't need more foxholes; 20 is enough to put almost every man in a foxhole, and ideally there will be some buildings to use. If they come in units of 10, then only 10 is a few too little if we want a flexible defense (unless the map is small/there are lots of buildings).

Also requesting PM for the strategy doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

In real life, snipers are as much information-gatherers as trigger-pullers. And that's the role I want to use you in.

You have high-powered optics. If you're well placed, you can see a great deal. Don't expect to be getting long range kills. Take a few potshots to button up their tanks and maybe kill their officers, then bug out.

Game mechanics question: If you put a target circle order on a unit, will it continue to spot outside of that radius? I tried doing this in the demo with the sniper, but was never quite sure if it was working.

I did find setting a target circle seemed fairly useful for mostly-obscured infantry trying not to be killed by a tank. I wouldn't mind using it as the situation demands, unless we're advised against it due to the risk of non-responsive units. I'll defer to someone with more CM experience there.

(For those noting that this isn't mentioned in the OP, or if I have the terminology wrong, I'm talking about where you set Target Arc but hold down Shift. Then you set a range, and units will only engage targets within that range.)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm for option 3. We have to make them pay for the objective, not give it up for free. Any time slowing them down on the east side means they'll have less time to plan the action on the west. I realize I may be volunteering to have my men killed earlier, but I'm okay with it.

e: My thoughts would be to keep the defensive units on the east in the town itself. Mine the main bridge and use the north path to retreat vehicles, any of the bridges to pull back infantry.

Question for those who can load the map: How well can units in the west town cover/spot areas of east town?

Kangra fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 19, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I like that plan; as a Soviet I'd probably push heavy along Anna but we do need to figure out what they'll actually do.

I'm not a big fan of the 'spread out' first line, as it exposes a fairly small force to essentially their whole force at the start. While it would delay them some, I think we'd be taking more casualties that way. I'd be in favor of ambushes in less exposed locations which will require them to keep shifting more forces to respond.

One possible problem I see is that they'll likely shell the town, but if we're in defensive positions, we can probably take it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

A: We can't retreat over the river effectively without losing a lot of troops.

Bacarruda posted:

Withdrawing anyone is going to be very difficult. The river valley is extremely exposed. Crossing will be very difficult, especially if the Soviets manage to get tanks in overwatch positions on the eastern bank. I've purposefully put the mortars and the infantry guns in positions where they can direct lay smoke into the river valley (I also might put a TRP there), but don't count on having much cover.

I think it's critical to this plan that we have at least some plan for withdrawal toward the west from the start. At the moment it appears to be over the main bridge using smoke for cover? If that's the case, maybe a few foxholes close to that bridge would help. (Close enough to protect from fire from East Town, but far enough from West Town that the enemy can't use them effectively if they advance.)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Personally I kind of like Bruno, but that is essentially playing for attrition and not as exciting as other options.

On the other hand this ambush in the woods looks good, and I'm in favor of Emil especially if command is leaning that way.

I think we have to keep the option to drop the idea of ambush and get to the East Village quickly if things don't look favorable. (I'm specifically thinking that a charge in the north past the woods to rush toward the town could cut us off).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think the northernmost TRP might be better off being moved a bit. This is a route to some of the best positions for the Soviets, so we have to find a way to slow them down.

It'd be ridiculously dumb of them to send tanks right by the forest without knowing what's in there. This means they'll either skirt north of Point 1863, or send infantry to the woods first. But they can get vehicles fairly close to the point where they have to decide and still get a look to the east while covering attacks, somewhere around R2 or Q2.

I think the TRP ought to be pushed back to there (allowing a strike on scouting infantry, or to slow down tanks), or slightly north of where it is to counter a move around Point 1863.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Kenzie posted:

Yeah, each one is a small minefield.

Specifically, they occupy one grid location/tile on the map, which is the same granularity to which orders are given. About 8m on a side.

I kind of liked the idea of putting AP mines in and around some of the buildings.

Affi posted:

So how do we defend against aircraft? Do we have our own?

Get out of the open and pray it doesn't hit you. We wouldn't really be able to do much about aircraft in a set-up like this, I don't think, other than run if we get a chance. It may well attack wherever it feels like, including the Soviet positions.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Are there any zoomed-in maps to work on yet? something covering K-S would be good.

I hope for an infantry briefing that specifically details options for splitting squads (and maybe relative in-game usefulness).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

Haha, I was going to go with Kompanie von Kriegerspitz (keeping my old name from the Axis and Allies and CM1 LOs.)

May both our K Kompanies find success. If anyone has suggestions for their graphic, feel free to include them, otherwise I'll just play around with stuff.

Don't have a name yet, but as we're 1/1, I'm thinking a graphic would be something incorporating the 1 theme. Motto: "Die Ersten unter Gleichen"

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was just about to post this suggestion:

It seems to be about where Fell Fire put #1. It's a good anchor on our right. Ideally that position has good sight on the southern fords and forces any tanks to button up, any troops still on them or in transport to stop. While any tanks that engage it would be vulnerable to fire from the west. It would also be able to spot some distance along the woods path.

One question about splitting teams: If I break off the 'Schrecks as an AT team, and then split the rest, do I get three teams of three or two of 4 and 5?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Intentions: Deploy to southern end of 1. Company's area of operation, along the eastern edge of the Troll Forest. Avoid being spotted from long range. Engage enemy at close range to delay their advance toward East Town. Fall back after brief engagement. Attempt to knock out any armor as the opportunity arises.

All positions to be followed per the map. Preference for the moment is to be positioned deeper into woods as apposed to having a better field of view. The map should be the reference for target arcs, but rough values will be given as well.
Dot in center is Squad Leader's team, Chevron is AT team.

All squads will Split into AT (Panzerschreck) Team, then into two fire teams. I'll refer to them as 1/1/1/AT, 1/1/1/Ldr, 1/1/1/Fire but can switch to using A,B,C if those are indicated.

1/1/HQ
Position in woods, at least 30m from treeline.
Target Circle, ~60m.

1/1/1
Deploys in north. Splits as noted. Covers creek to north, and field to the east.

1/1/1/AT
Position near treeline.
Target Armor, as marked on map. Roughly 100m, avoiding targets directly to the east.

1/1/1/Ldr
Position near treeline.
Target Circle, ~100m.

1/1/1/Fire
Target Arc extending 300m along treeline/creekbed, reduced to ~180m at south end of arc.

1/1/2
Deploys in middle. Splits as noted. Covers against creekbed attacks from the southeast.

1/1/2/AT
Hide. No Target orders given.

1/1/2/Ldr
Position inside forest.
Target Circle, ~100m.

1/1/2/Fire
Position near treeline.
Target Circle, ~100m.

1/1/3
Deploys to south. Splits as noted. Covers against attempts to move on southern approaches. As armor is expected, will not attempt to engage except at closer ranges.

1/1/3/AT
Position near treeline. Hide.
Target Armor on west side of creek. Arc as shown, ~160m.

1/1/3/Ldr
Position inside forest.
Target Circle, ~100m.

1/1/3/Fire
Position inside forest.
Target Circle, ~140m. (Target arc should not reach the path to the south.)

Kangra fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 24, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

Kangra, confirm: The chevrons are the AT teams?

Yep, added a note to clarify that bit.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Oooh! Could I get one for Battalion HQ? They can be the "Pencil Pushers."

One quick note on Combat Mission mechanics. Panzerschrecks aren't especially accurate past 30-40m, so it's generally best to have multiple AT teams able to engage targets as they appear.

Considering this, it might make sense to give 1/1/2/AT a target armor arc, rather than hiding it. You might also want to shift 1/1/3/AT's target arc so it covers more easterly ground. That'd give you overlapping fields of fire for your AT teams and an even better chance of hitting Soviet tanks.

Just want to mention I've noted this, and it's in mind for the next turn. I figure the Russians would be pretty foolhardy to run anything close up right away, but they might well be trying to spot our AT teams, which is why they're hiding for now.

The current arc of the 1/1/3/AT was designed to allow vehicles a chance to hit the mine first. The long range is because this is about the only place where we might be able to distract a possible push along Gregory, and with luck a few shots would slow them down, or cause them to turn and be exposed to fire from our guns in the west. But all of that works better with a second team down there anyway, so if it looks like it might happen, I'll set it up. I also realize that given this presentation format, missed shots might end up completely unnoticed if Grey doesn't show it.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 25, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Why did we have foxholes if there's no foxes to go in them?

Kenzie posted:

If you hold down the shift key while placing a target arc, it will give you a full circle. Very useful if you want to cover more than just what's right in front of you, but make sure your unit is facing the right way before giving them this order.

I have a question on target arcs. I was under the impression that target arcs (including circles) are usually not about where you want to fire, but about where you don't want to fire. In that case, it's best to have the largest possible arc (or no arc at all) unless you're doing things like setting up an ambush, conserving ammo, or trying to avoid distractions. Is this how it is, or does setting an arc actually provide some benefit when shooting at the area within the arc?

Another question: Are the effective ranges for infantry weapons given in the manual accurate? (500m for our rifles, 1000m for MG, 800m+ for Sniper and 100m for MP40)

Kangra fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 28, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

edit: I'm an idiot and edited this post instead of quoting it for Turn 3. For Turn 2 no changes were ordered.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 3, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Given that we aren't seeing much coming directly up Route 66 in the south, and that the infantry contact may also be moving along the path (southwest through the woods), it seems about equally likely that they're either sending the "2 Company" to scout the bridge or down towards Gregory. Vehicles are either being held back or are routing on those paths and we just haven't spotted them. Affi's guys ought to notice one way or the other.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 2, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

A quick point arising from our Roll20 discussion this morning:

Should we do a preemptive mortar strike on the mirkwood treeline that will arrive right as the southern russian infantry come into the area? Even if it doesn't cause casualties it will cause them to slow down as they realise they are being watched and they have no idea where we are.

Also talked a bit about 2 Company, but you guys should be fine to sort it out.

My thoughts on this is that we still don't know where those troops are going, or if that's the main thrust of the attack (e:in this area). I see three possibilities:
1) They are moving straight through Mirkwood, most likely to clear the road approach to OK Corral.
2) They are only heading through Mirkwood on their way down to a path like Gregory (or to approach Troll Forest from the south). More or less movement on Mirkwood Path.
3) They're clearing Mirkwood to make it safe to move tanks down there.

I'd put #1 as most likely, with #3 somewhat less likely and #2 least likely. If we don't use the mortars here we have a fair amount of firepower already in this area which should work to slow them down (in which case anything that's not a direct hit is kind of wasted).

I'd just question if it's the best use of resources, but ultimately the call is up to the big picture folks. If we guess right and hit them, it could well be a major factor in shutting down their approach in this direction.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 3, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Only one team is doing anything new:

1/1/2/AT
Set Target Circle, 60m Radius
Unhide. MOVE SLOW as indicated, into position at treeline near 3 Squad.

All other units: No change in position. Maintain current orders.

(Link to original orders for reference.)

=end of orders=

I expect to have a better armor arc and maybe a slight reposition later this week. Just wanted to get the movement out of the way.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Is there any advantage to trying to mislead them about retreat routes by, say, moving the troops they've seen (assuming we withdraw them) a bit north, as if they're pulling into the Entwood to join with a company there? I'm not sure how long the moving troops will be seen for, and whether that is worth the extra distance they'd have to travel to actually pull back properly.

I feel like any time we get them to traipse around the woods checking for soldiers is time well spent for us. We get more time to position in the town and they have less time to fight us.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 5, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So do they have a pre-planned barrage that isn't accurate, or do they have some FO that managed to spot that area from some far-off position (I don't see how they could have rushed anyone into position to spot it up close)? I would expect smoke to be coming in from where that hit, or is that still a possibility?

Also, it seems to me there's a chance they just got shot up by their own planes, unless we were being fired at and missed.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Taking cover.

All units except 1/1/1/Fire, 1/1/2/AT, 1/1/3/Fire : HIDE if not hidden already. Avoid falling objects.

Units that aren't hiding, no change in orders. Keep a lookout or keep moving.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Also had a thought that may be relevant to the spies being hidden: Keep in mind that there is no "Hold Fire" command in the game. If you issue an order like that, it might turn how you want it, but you're at the mercy of how the Prime Mover decides to implement it. The closer you can get to actual in-game commands, the less likely it will be that things get screwed up.

(As for 'Hold Fire' in particular, the CO explained it earlier.)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There are two images here, to cover all the squads. First up is 3. Squad, and our HQ. Aside from the HQ, the orders for the units are given from "right" to "left" or south(ish) to north along the line.

1/1/HQ
Unhide. MOVE normal toward town on path indicated.

1/1/3/AT
Unhide. MOVE QUICK as shown.
Target Circle, 60m.

1/1/3/Ldr
Unhide. MOVE QUICK as shown, end with indicated facing.
Target Circle, 100m.

1/1/3/Fire
Unhide. MOVE QUICK as shown, end with indicated facing. If there is a foxhole here, move into it.
Target Circle, 100m.

1/1/2/Ldr
Unhide. Pause 30 seconds. MOVE as indicated, including QUICK segment.
Target Circle, 100m.

1/1/2/AT
Target Circle, 60m.

1/1/2/Fire
Target Circle, 100m.

1/1/1/AT
Target Circle, 60m.

1/1/1/Ldr
Unhide. Pause 30 seconds. MOVE normal to north, with facing as shown.
Target Circle, 140m.

1/1/1/Fire
Hold position.

= end of orders =

I drew these orders up before seeing the secondary posts on where we're headed, but it turns out I was fairly in synch with command anyway. Adjustments will be made later (or can be made before the turn goes; I just wanted to get something in since we weren't given a deadline yet). 1. Squad is simply pausing longer, and will start moving next turn.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 12, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'd be comfortable with just the grid labels on the edge (so precision can still be used in referring to position), but with black lines every 5 or 10 squares. Not to force extra work on anyone; I'm not particularly bothered with how it is now.

The other advantage of the grid (gauging distance) is obviated by the ruler tool on rolld20, which I find extremely useful.

Although speaking of that map, are the foxhole positions accurate on it?

And have we ever received notice that our TRP and mines are where we wanted them?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Affi posted:

gently caress. No matter if that was a IS2 or a medium that trade is not in our favour.

Also that was not a very good spot for a tank, no concealment, apparent because the russian tank fired even before ours did and it was on an open road.

The good news is that your scout can actually see something.

I think we're still doing well on time here. They're moving slow enough that unless they really overwhelm us in the next half hour an attack on West Town isn't feasible. Their northern infantry are walking through the woods (even with the ents that wandered off leaving a hole, that's a good 10-15 minutes wasted for them) and the southern group doesn't seem ready to attack quite yet. Once they actually get troops in range they will still have to fight their way to town.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

JcDent posted:

My dudes weren't leaving their positions for redeployment. Is it because of lovely order maps?

You're Third Platoon in 1. Company, right? I think you missed putting your orders in the spreadsheet (either under the wrong turn or on the wrong line, maybe). If you have your squad in foxholes I'll probably move into the same spot within 1-2 turns. Unless we're ordered to move in a different fashion.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

Yay, I'm helping.

Kenzie, I think your men are probably closer to the vacant tank? If I'm mistaken, let me know.

I noticed that one of the squads Kenzie circled, and possibly the closest unit, is part of 1/3/1 (JC Dent's guys who didn't get their orders). They'll be on their way sort of in that direction toward town anyway, although it kind of depends on whether that's the squad leader or not. Could save Kenzie having to pull someone off the line.

JCDent, you know if that's your leader in AX-27? (e: I'm not stalking your platoon. It's just that one of my teams was 'missing' on the map [I think it's just covered by another icon] and I was trying to figure out if had somehow outrun the rest.)
vvvv

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 14, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No changes in orders. Keep moving.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't think that's the correct map (looks like the one from last turn).

Also, do planes strafe unbuttoned tanks? Or would it be going after dismounted infantry/scout car/truck?

Kangra fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 16, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Dralun posted:

Their guys in the south could have made contact with us by the bridge at this point. That they haven't leads me to believe they are going to either wait for all units to get to a jump off point before commencing the main attack and/or are waiting for a few waves of artillery to hit our forward defenses first.

Seems a lot like their plan there is a build-up, then attack. They scoured both sides of the road with infantry, but don't seem to have moved any to the south or beyond. They dropped a handful of rounds on Deutschename creek, not the Troll forest, and parked a scout car at the edge of the woods. The last two seems to suggest they're almost afraid of something flanking them from that side. Tanks started up R66 and maybe paused a bit, which sounds like tanks are meant to lead the charge (or at least get closer to support the infantry). I think a well-timed barrage, like when/if they hit the mined bridge, would do a lot to at least delay them, since there doesn't seem to be much of an alternate plan for these troops.

South Troll Forest could also be a good spot for tank crew scouts since we've pulled back from the edge.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 17, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I noticed 1. Squad hadn't been set to move yet.

1/1/1 (aside from AT squad) : Follow movement, starting with QUICK and then normal MOVE.
Target circle, 100m.

Everyone else: no change in orders.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

1 Kompanie

Alright, here we go:

1st Platoon: Looks like you have armor moving up the road. Make sure your AT team is properly situated to ambush any approaching Soviet armor. Like Bac mentioned, once we've engaged, you'll fall back to the former positions of 3 Platoon, but for now hold the line.
2nd Platoon: Keep moving to new positions.
3rd Platoon: Keep moving to new positions.
4th Platoon:

Are the orders for 1st Platoon meant for 2nd there? I have 1st Platoon currently falling back from the south end of Troll Forest, and it should be 2nd that's still on the front-line position near the bridge. Final position for my men will put them roughly along the Troll Path.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I have to imagine this is getting entertaining to watch.

Is there any way those 75mm guns can 'area fire' HE into Mirkwood? What can they actually see from where they are?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

1/1/HQ
Move NORMAL to position and facing shown on map (no initial position as I'm not certain which marker is theirs).

1/1/3 (fire teams)
Maintain position.
Cancel Target.

1/1/3/AT
Move as indicated to northwest edge of forest.
Cancel Target.

Everyone else can carry on.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Dralun posted:

From what I remember of the map, there won't be many places for hot tank on tank action in the south east until they get around suburbia.

The positions to the south marked by Baccaruda are really ideal for getting a shot on anything coming over the bridge or the creekbed (this especially includes infantry). It's also great in that it it's very easy to get away from, considering we know almost nothing is headed that way yet. (And if any armor comes that way, our infantry guns will blast them give them a stern talking-to.)

This isn't likely to be a fair fight where we're trying to get all our tanks in one spot for a big battle. We might win that, but it's almost certain to leave enough of the enemy tanks around in other locations to pose a problem. We have to be a little lucky with our armor - popping in and out to snipe at the enemy from unexpected angles. That has a good psychological effect as well.

edit after watching turn: Herp is still alive!

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 30, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

JcDent posted:

While it is nice to see my guys legging it, I have to ask: who's guys are those? Sure hope it's not some of mine who stayed behind due to, uh, friction.

Mostly mine (1. Platoon), although the Company HQ is near there and so is someone else's (4. Platoon?). But it looks like your HQ is on the move with your guys, and anyone else missing is probably just bunched-up markers.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Time to hold that flank. Movement lines are approximate, as they are marked from the icon for reference.

1/1/HQ
Adjust facing as shown.
Set Target to CIRCLE, 80m.

1/1/3
Fire team (or whichever is closest), get in that foxhole QUICK!
Adjust facings as indicated.
Target should be CLEAR.

1/1/1
Move QUICK into a backup position as shown.
The AT team should head straight across the trail first, then move in the woods.
Target should be CLEAR.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Capt. Sniper, I wouldn't worry too much about it as I wouldn't be able to update my orders anyway. As it is, we have one squad on the line, and I'm already shifting another squad forward. I can order them to keep moving next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Will my most forward squad be safe in a foxhole (which is where it is, at the corner south of Troll Path) when the barrage comes down? They're only close to the end of one line I'd expect there not to be that much spread to them, but if it's going to be a problem I can pull them back.

And looking at the image again, maybe there is a straggling team from Third Platoon around? Or is that attached to company HQ or 4th?

This is all my men highlighted. I'm wondering about the soldiers right in the middle, near the HQ. (Also visible is the foxhole, which now contains the forward team I asked about.) Is the red dot our TRP?

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 9, 2014

• Locked thread