Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

If you are a German player and reading this, please go away. You dirty, dirty cheater.

Hopefully, most of these are clear enough, but let me go through a few of them.

Move orders – the fast your men move, the more tired they will get. They will also be easier to spot.
Hunt means to move towards the enemy slowly until contact is made.
Assault orders will send your men forward shouting Urra!
Target arcs focus your men to a certain direction, rather than picking their targets.

Orders for Armour are similar, with reverse being added, as well as orders to button up and open up your tank.

Order Format

I would like orders to be done in the following format.

1st Platoon, 1st Company shall assault the building.

providing a map with the exact positions marked in some way is not 100% necessary, but will make me confusing your orders less likely. Using the correct movement colour would be amazing, if you can do it – if not, don't worry.

Mostly a repost, but This time you will have to attack well prepared German position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
1st Company (infantry, maybe???) CO reporting in.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Not sure what I'm commanding, but hopefully I'm commanding something!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
21 IS2's that don't stop for anything.

I'll be happy with an infantry platoon.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So if Herp's got a company over there, how can we most effectively encourage him to do something really really stupid, and will Barracuda let him get away with it?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

dublish posted:

So if Herp's got a company over there, how can we most effectively encourage him to do something really really stupid, and will Barracuda let him get away with it?

There is no way they are stupid enough to put Herp in command.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Welcome, Comrades, to the 15th Gvardeyskaya Kavaleriyskaya Diviziya!

We have been chosen for a rapid exploitation of recent gains made by more conventional forces.

Little will change for individual commanders, except you will need to adapt to slightly different terminology (e.g. "squadron") and the smell of horseshit.

For the Motherland!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
So, remind me what our Pokemon list was again? Abra, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Diglett, Eevee, Flygon, Graveler (and Geodude?), Haunter, Igglybuff, Jumpluff, Koffing, Lapras, Mew...Squirtle? Did we use any "N"?

EDIT: Ooh, cavalry! Extend it to OP Ponyta, at least!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Aha! 1st Squadron CO reporting in, then!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Merry Marauder posted:

Welcome, Comrades, to the 15th Gvardeyskaya Kavaleriyskaya Diviziya!

We have been chosen for a rapid exploitation of recent gains made by more conventional forces.

Little will change for individual commanders, except you will need to adapt to slightly different terminology (e.g. "squadron") and the smell of horseshit.

For the Motherland!

gently caress me, I knew I was forgetting something, we didn't get any horses.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
It looks like we're full up on company officers, so just gimme an infantry platoon, preferably another one of those delicious SMG platoons if there's points for it. Why ruin a good thing? Not feeling too picky, though.

Or some of those neat rifled muskets, if we're getting gunpowder era in here. :)

I'll probably not be able to post for another day after this very post here, so here's hoping any additional info can hold off that long.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 18, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Horse-drawn MGs and light artillery are available on a troop level, but I am confident that cold steel will be enough to drive the fascists out of their holes and send them fleeing all the way across the Vistula!

A mounted charge will be the last thing the Germans expect - we will stay well ahead of their preplanned barrages!

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Hopeful to be commander of ???st ??? reporting in.

I assume we're banished to our own threads again? (Also, the German tag is totally a freudian slip.)

e: While I am not in a high position, having examined German intelligence from our previous battle at the Railway station, I am forced to assume that this battle will consist of a Soviet mounted charge against tank mounted flamethrowers. May our flaming hell horses reign supreme.

Kaislioc fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 18, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Excellent, we have a thread. Hopefully I'll get one of the tanks, if high command wouldn't mind.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Yeah, we're probably good on company commanders but will almost certainly need more platoon commanders.

Would just like to point out that at one point we had a gimmick order of battle that contained 1980 SMG-wielding death slavs.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Are you sure that's enough SMGs?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Hello sirs, let us kill nazis.

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
Formalising my request for an smg company

SRF
Oct 31, 2011

Leif. posted:

Yeah, we're probably good on company commanders but will almost certainly need more platoon commanders.

I'd happily take command of a platoon/vehicle/field kitchen.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Glad to rejoin the winning side :getin:

While we wait for the game to begin, Armchair General had a good series on Combat Mission tactics a few years, written up by a retired infantry commander. They are worth watching for concepts like establishing fire superiority and attacking an entrenched position:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-tactics-a-video-series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHm6FDh1738

There's also usually a "let's play" on the Battlefront forum to showcase each new CM game. I mention this because one of the guys who usually stars in them (Bil Hardenberger*) is very, very good at the game and is good at showcasing his step-by-step analysis of conducting an attack:
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=113383&page=11

*such a perfect grognard name

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Reporting in to drive a completely unbeatable tank and win the war only to get killed as a political scapegoat freethinker dissident later.

no I'm not bitter why would you think so

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 18, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Dangit, you guys post too fast. Reserving this post for reference material.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
Kulik reporting in. Maybe I'll do a bit better than the actual one, you never know.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Tank driver, reporting in!

brb on fire posted:

Kulik reporting in. Maybe I'll do a bit better than the actual one, you never know.
To do better than the original, you have to do exactly nothing because that way you're at least not actively detrimental.

We have a roll20 planning table again, contact a senior officer by pm or put up your email address if you don't have it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Glory to the Motherland!

Ladies and gentlemen, comrades and... comrades.

Hi everyone, I am your new commanding officer. I have been assigned here directly from Moscow. Now I hear you have won a battle. My goal is to turn that victory into a bloody rout. Then there will be medals and extra vodka rations for everyone!

uPen shall be my second in command while the Merry Marauder will be third in line.

So, basically you've all worked well, and I don't want to fix anything that is not broken. I want to focus on clarity, mainly, so that everyone on the thread knows what exactly is going on, and that Grey knows what exactly our orders are. We will be having a much bigger army this time so that will be essentially.

My hope is to offer periodic summaries of the state of the battle, and to collate together orders to a clear form so we know who has yet to send in orders etc.

I'll talk about some specific organisational changes. We also have an order of battle which I'll send to Grey to have a look at in a bit, and amend once we have seen the map. Now, who is missing from the team?

brb on fire
May 12, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

We have a roll20 planning table again, contact a senior officer by pm or put up your email address if you don't have it.

Email address is brbonfire@gmail.com, toss me an invite at your leisure. (i wish i had plat)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm in Roll 20 and ready to drive anything from a jeep to an Uncle Joe

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

But most of all I am hoping to drive the Hun before me!

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Let's liberate some pixelmotherland from the pixelfascist invaders.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh yeah, also, at this point I want to give a special commendation to Comrade dublish, whose sterling work with maps, recon and insignia has been mentioned in military newspapers all the way back in Moscow. Good job, comrade! I look forward to working with you.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Looking forward to holding em by the nose and/or kicking them in the butt!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Patriotic Boat reporting for duty: how able to actually move (hopefully)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh one other thing, while we are still choosing units, can anyone who owns the game confirm estimates for artillery delivery times for the 2x120mm mortar team, and the 4x76mm Infantry gun, called in without a FO, with and without a TRP?

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Gunner Jesenjin ready for duty!
Also could someone send invite on roll20 to tenkist.at.hotmail.com
Already have an account.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fangz posted:

Oh one other thing, while we are still choosing units, can anyone who owns the game confirm estimates for artillery delivery times for the 2x120mm mortar team, and the 4x76mm Infantry gun, called in without a FO, with and without a TRP?

BA/CO commander - 120mm mortars take 9 minutes, 76mm takes 10 minutes, 6 minutes for both with a TRP
FO team - 120 mm takes 5 minutes, 76mm takes 9 minutes, 4 minutes for both with a TRP.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
roughly speaking, based on the preliminary (and I stress, temporary!) order of battle, there are about 5 platoon leader positions, and about 5 vehicle positions, remaining. 6 if you want to be the most glorious hero of 1st Studebaker Regiment. If you want one, talk to Fangz, and note your interest in this thread so we can update the list. Everyone who expressed a specific interest in command should have it at this point, and it looks like most preferences have been met, but keep in mind again that this order of battle is almost certainly not final and things can change, and ultimately it is Glorious Comrade Marshall Fangz's call on anything.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Going by the number of replies on their thread, the Germans seem pretty fired up compared to last time. Hopefully it won't help them too much.

Also, should I take the inevitable T34-85 HQ so I can push around our Patriotic Bote?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
It's probably just Herp riling everyone in the GE thread.

How/where do we get to roll20?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
app.roll20.net and Fangz can give you access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think once we get the map I'll just post the link in the thread. The current level of privacy is mainly to stop people blundering in by accident.

I should also keep a document for stuff that is fixed and determined so people don't need to read chat logs. How does Google docs sound for that?

• Locked thread