Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

JFairfax posted:

I am down to 1.23:445 using the keyboard.

A lot of fun. But where is 90s racer :-(

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh cool, last update was 4th December, and it looks like they're making progress so that's neat!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Not even joking, I'm extremely hyped for 40 on-screen AI cars.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's going to be carnage, also really happy they have the F355 in there as well.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kickstarter is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1910344764/drift-stage

I forgot they got an old Skyline in there, officially excited for this.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The new kickstarter video also has a neat little easter egg at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESM4JkOXSis

In other news, I finally beat the expert ghost: 1:19.952 :toot: The hardest part was definitely the 4th turn (~40 seconds in) where you straight up cannot go full speed around it. You have to let off the gas the perfect amount or else you will hit the outer wall or turn way too slow.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That bit at the end of the trailer had me grinning ear to ear. It took me a while to notice that the Trueno Keizai's headlights flipped up. Hopefully the other cars with flipup lights can do that too.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Halfway to the goal in a single day and the 500$ tier is gone already.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Arzachel posted:

Halfway to the goal in a single day and the 500$ tier is gone already.

Gotta have them memes in the game, I guess!

Also the soundtrack that has been done so far is so loving :krad: that I feel like I've gone back to the 80s!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Gotta have them memes in the game, I guess!

Oh God I really hope it's not this.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Let's be honest, unless the guys who have $500 to burn on an awesome game have taste you just know it's going to be. Unless it was a goon and we are going to get :getin: over everything then I'm ok with that.

Anyway, I went for the $25 tier because OH GOD I NEED THAT SOUNDTRACK!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Current soundtrack is really good, but now that they've brought up Eurobeat, I can't shake the feeling I'd really like an all-Eurobeat soundtrack too. :pcgaming:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Do it like NFS III did and let the player choose between cheesy synthpop and cheesy rock.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 10, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else have issues mapping usb joypad analog sticks on the Mac version. Was looking forward to playing this without using the keyboard and have been scuppered so far

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Without knowing the name of your joypad, I'd say try googling around about the Unity 3D game launcher.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Okay cool, thanks I'll give it a try.

Just remembered I have bootcamp and Win7 on this thing so I might just boot into that and see if it works better.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
well that worked much better, got the analogue steering working on the pad.

for time trialling around one track this is a lot of fun.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Gonna get this just for the soundtrack. 80s instrumental rock has such a big spot in my heart.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hopefully the models and textures aren't too heavily encrypted so we can screw around with modding.

The biggest reason this game is awesome is that Namco has basically taken a dump on the Ridge Racer franchise after RR7.

Now if only we can get a wipeout remake :allears:

Fargin Icehole posted:

the only way you could possibly play this game is with the ridge racer soundtrack

Ridge Racers 2 (PSP), Ridge Racer 7, and Ridge Racer R4's soundtracks seem to go best with Drift Stage.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 12, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Extra posted:

Now if only we can get a wipeout remake :allears:
You mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5EEJq5-g6E

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

That's giving me some serious powerdrome vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxpM5w7SZY0

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

the hovercars look dumb af and the actual racing looks boring af

SlipStream GX is actually quite good because it's 90% gameplay 10% presentation and completely free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z34CgA1Gu0Q

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 12, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

:siren: 100% funded :siren:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1910344764/drift-stage

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Here's hoping it stays small and any extra money just goes towards bug fixes, mod support and maybe future games.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I'd like to see a mobile version of this game. Probably not console, just because I doubt that the Xbone/PS4 would handle the pure 80s-ness of this game!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Tried the alpha - the driving is ok, it's obviously an early version, but the graphics don't really do anything for me, they're kind of ugly and feel like trying too hard to be all retro. Maybe this'll improve too though, I'll be definitely keeping an eye on this game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I'd like to see a mobile version of this game. Probably not console, just because I doubt that the Xbone/PS4 would handle the pure 80s-ness of this game!
...what?

mobby_6kl posted:

Tried the alpha - the driving is ok, it's obviously an early version, but the graphics don't really do anything for me, they're kind of ugly and feel like trying too hard to be all retro. Maybe this'll improve too though, I'll be definitely keeping an eye on this game.
I like the style, but the map in the demo is pretty sparse on background detail. The road surface itself could do with a few more tells to give the game a better sense of speed.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

mobby_6kl posted:

This is about how I feel. Graphically it's strange because it's going for mid-80s style with early-90s tech (obviously not literally but that's what it's trying to capture) and the combination doesn't really do justice to either. Aesthetically the thing it makes me think of the most are old Pocket PC racers.

It's still in alpha so I'm going to keep watching it, but I like the approach of 90s Arcade Racer much more so far.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Great Joe posted:

Here's hoping it stays small and any extra money just goes towards bug fixes, mod support and maybe future games.

That sounds like their intent:

quote:

We’re not even going to think about stretch goals until after our current goal is met, and even after that, we may still not do any stretch goals. We have a pretty clear vision for Drift Stage, and we don’t want to drastically alter our vision or the project’s scope just to accommodate stretch goals.

It seems like they have a pretty narrow focus that they don't intend to deviate from, which is encouraging.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The rear end Stooge posted:

It seems like they have a pretty narrow focus that they don't intend to deviate from, which is encouraging.

it's refreshing in the current game development culture of valuing features over execution

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
To be fair, they have a bunch of stuff like car and track editors and random track generation already planned which is fine because I think stretch goals are dumb as gently caress.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, I'd settle for "if things work out, we might make more stuff for the game, tootles!" rather than a definite promise they don't actually know if they can pull off in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Preview builds for beta backers are slated to start appearing in April or May.

• Locked thread