Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodgy Graphite
Jan 25, 2011

I JSUT WANTED TO BBE A MODERATOR
I tried hard to forget, but there remained inside me a vague knot of air.

And as time went by, the knot began to take on a clear and simple form, a form that I am able to put into words, like this: Death exists, not as the opposite but as a part of life.

It's a cliché translated into words, but at the time I felt it not as words but as that knot of air inside me. Death exists—in a paperweight, in four red and white balls on a pool table the edge of a cliff—and we go on living and breathing it into our lungs like fine dust.

Time works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Norwegian Wood is Murakami's worst book tia

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every vaguely intellectual white person I know loves Murakami. What's so special about this guy again? All I know is his clever title IQ84 and apparently "Never Let Me Go" is one of those literary sci-fi tearjerkers that no one in literary circles will admit is sci-fi because it deals primarily in feelings and other exclusively "literary" concepts.

I had never even heard of him until a few years ago yet apparently he's prolific enough to have earned some backlash with the publication of this latest book. I saw "Murakami" bingo on the r/books subreddit and now this. What's the deal (with airline peanuts)?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Dodgy Graphite posted:

I tried hard to forget, but there remained inside me a vague knot of air.

And as time went by, the knot began to take on a clear and simple form, a form that I am able to put into words, like this: Death exists, not as the opposite but as a part of life.

It's a cliché translated into words, but at the time I felt it not as words but as that knot of air inside me. Death exists—in a paperweight, in four red and white balls on a pool table the edge of a cliff—and we go on living and breathing it into our lungs like fine dust.

Time works the same way.

this is some poorly written poo poo, did you make it, op?

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Imagine two balls and a boner on the edge of a cliff

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pebergehund posted:

Imagine two balls and a boner on the edge of a cliff

Say a direct copy of the boner nearest is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the boner falls off the cliff.

cucking works the same way.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Randarkman posted:

Say a direct copy of the boner nearest is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the boner falls off the cliff.

cucking works the same way.

Could quite easily be a murakami sex scene

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Johnnie walker dreams tm.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ahundredbux posted:

this is some poorly written poo poo, did you make it, op?

Heh, look at this scrub who doesn't "get" Murakami :smug:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
i've never even heard the name before tbh

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I know somebody on Facebook who is obsessed with him. I don't get it either.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

mind the walrus posted:

apparently "Never Let Me Go" is one of those literary sci-fi tearjerkers that no one in literary circles will admit is sci-fi because it deals primarily in feelings and other exclusively "literary" concepts

That's Ishiguro. arr rook same, lol

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Imagine... a teenage boy who is lost in this world, who is surrounded by three vaguely middle aged surrogates for a missing mother figure. The teenage boy has sex with these middle aged women, while abstract things happen around him, and finds a new relationship to the world.

Murakami books work the same way.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Call me when Hideo Kojima does Zybourne Gear and I'll give a poo poo about this thread.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
hard boiled wonderland was dumb poo poo

open container
Sep 16, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Every vaguely intellectual white person I know loves Murakami. What's so special about this guy again?

How does the second sentence follow the first?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I only read the windup bird chronicles and all I remember is that he loses his cat, his wife leaves him, then he hides in a well after eating donuts. Oh yeah he also talks to a teenage girl sometimes (he is late 40s/50s)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I confused this guy with the artist who made a life sized anime statue jizzing a lasso out of his dong

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
or did you

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

eh, the anime was better

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Action Tortoise posted:

I confused this guy with the artist who made a life sized anime statue jizzing a lasso out of his dong

please don't talk about my art in this thread, thanks

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
gee, i hope this one's narrated by a guy in his mid-thirties who's befuddled by the world around him and endlessly namedrops the tasteful titles in his record collection! and the food he makes!

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

Every vaguely intellectual white person I know loves Murakami. What's so special about this guy again?

he's not american, how can you miss?

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Am I missing something? What is "Zybourne Wood"?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i knew this girl who had real pretty ears. oh well, i guess i'll be a 30 something loner who listens to jazz and drinks whisky until something weird happens

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
sounds like a horrible premise for a story

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
gbs making yet another thread about japanese literature, sigh, can you do something unique for once like a star citizen thread.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Every vaguely intellectual white person I know loves Murakami. What's so special about this guy again? All I know is his clever title IQ84 and apparently "Never Let Me Go" is one of those literary sci-fi tearjerkers that no one in literary circles will admit is sci-fi because it deals primarily in feelings and other exclusively "literary" concepts.

I had never even heard of him until a few years ago yet apparently he's prolific enough to have earned some backlash with the publication of this latest book. I saw "Murakami" bingo on the r/books subreddit and now this. What's the deal (with airline peanuts)?

Haha it's funny because you did a racism.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
i like the fact in one of his books, it was the dirty chinese who committed war crimes on the brave noble warriors of nippon.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Republican Vampire posted:

Haha it's funny because you did a racism.

I think the white thing is because his works only became available in English recently compared to when they originally came out in Japanese. Turns out different languages exist a and most people don't speak all of them. Omg racism.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I think the white thing is because his works only became available in English recently compared to when they originally came out in Japanese. Turns out different languages exist a and most people don't speak all of them. Omg racism.

No the racism is that he conflates Haruki Murakami with Kazuo Ishiguro because they're both Japanese. Like the implication is that only one of those wily nips has mastered the white man's alphabet, or that they all look the same, or whatever.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I took House Of Leaves off of my bookshelf so people would stop noticing it years ago. I feel deep shame and embarrassment having spent actual money on that book and reading it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

His stuff has been translated into English since the 80s so there are probably people in this thread born after his stuff started getting translated!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tsinava posted:

I took House Of Leaves off of my bookshelf so people would stop noticing it years ago. I feel deep shame and embarrassment having spent actual money on that book and reading it.

I proudly display my Goosebumps collection in my living room. They make for a great conversation piece.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Republican Vampire posted:

No the racism is that he conflates Haruki Murakami with Kazuo Ishiguro because they're both Japanese. Like the implication is that only one of those wily nips has mastered the white man's alphabet, or that they all look the same, or whatever.

yeah it's a dumb thing to say

especially since ishiguro owns! i've only read remains of the day but it was quite good

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Tsinava posted:

having never been interested in House of Leaves, really, here I ask:

what tasteful literature exists on yr shelf?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't think he's particularly good and he writes a lot of creepy stuff about underage girls but on the other hand he did write this line which is pretty cool in my book.

Haruki Murakami writing about a really ugly dude posted:

Around the borders of the flat, lopsided area of his head clung thick, black, curly hair that had been allowed to grow too long, hanging down shaggily over the man’s ears. Ninety-eight people out of a hundred would probably be reminded by it of pubic hair. Tengo had no idea what the other two would think.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I actually don't know anything about tasteful literature as can be assumed from my previous post where I admitted to purchasing and reading House of Leaves but if I could take a guess at some tasteful literature on my bookshelf, The Count of Monte Cristo is a pretty good book. The Shining, I guess, if you consider Stephen King tasteful. A Confederacy of Dunces is a really funny book too. My bookshelf is mostly guide/manual/videogame/scifi poo poo.

Also, a Goosebumps collection is a fabulous conversation piece. I wish I still had mine but my mom burned them all because the devil.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Tsinava posted:

I actually don't know anything about tasteful literature as can be assumed from my previous post where I admitted to purchasing and reading House of Leaves but if I could take a guess at some tasteful literature on my bookshelf, The Count of Monte Cristo is a pretty good book. The Shining, I guess, if you consider Stephen King tasteful. A Confederacy of Dunces is a really funny book too. My bookshelf is mostly guide/manual/videogame/scifi poo poo.

Also, a Goosebumps collection is a fabulous conversation piece. I wish I still had mine but my mom burned them all because the devil.

thebookbarn.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Saint-X posted:

thebookbarn.txt

lmao you're posting in a gbs murakami thread retard. duh.

• Locked thread