Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
killaer
Aug 4, 2007
"A year here and he still dreamed of cyberspace, hope fading nightly. All the speed he took, all the turns
he’d taken and the corners he’d cut in Night City, and still he’d see the matrix in his sleep, bright lattices
of logic unfolding across that colorless void . . . The Sprawl was a long strange way home over the
Paciic now, and he was no console man, no cyberspace cowboy. Just another hustler, trying to make it
through. But the dreams came on in the Japanese night like live wire voodoo and he’d cry for it, cry in
his sleep, and wake alone in the dark, curled in his capsule in some cofin hotel, his hands clawed into
the bedslab, temper foam bunched between his ingers, trying to reach the console that wasn’t there."

"At first, finding himself alone in Chiba, with little money and less hope of inding a cure, he’d gone into a
kind of terminal overdrive, hustling fresh capital with a cold intensity that had seemed to belong to
someone else. In the irst month, he’d killed two men and a woman over sums that a year before would
have seemed ludicrous. Ninsei wore him down until the street itself came to seem the externalization
of some death wish, some secret poison he hadn’t known he carried. Night City was like a deranged
experiment in social Darwinism, designed by a bored researcher who kept one thumb permanently on
the fast-forward button. Stop hustling and you sank without a trace, but move a little too swiftly and
you’d break the fragile surface tension of the black market; either way, you were gone, with nothing
left of you but some vague memory in the mind of a ixture like Ratz, though heart or lungs or kidneys
might survive in the service of some stranger with New Yen for the clinic tanks."

"Case was twenty-four. At twenty-two, he’d been a cowboy a rustler, one of the best in the Sprawl. He’d
been trained by the best, by McCoy Pauley and Bobby Quine, legends in the biz. He’d operated on an
almost permanent adrenaline high, a byproduct of youth and proiciency, jacked into a custom
cyberspace deck that projected his disembodied consciousness into the con sensual hallucination that
was the matrix. A thief he’d worked for other, wealthier thieves, employers who provided the exotic
software required to penetrate the bright walls of corporate systems, opening windows into rich ields
of data. He’d made the classic mistake, the one he’d sworn he’d never make. He stole from his
employers. He kept something for himself and tried to move it through a fence in Amsterdam. He still
wasn’t sure how he’d been discovered, not that it mattered now. He’d expected to die, then, but they
only smiled. Of course he was welcome, they told him, welcome to the money. And he was going to
need it. Because—still smiling— they were going to make sure he never worked again. They damaged
his nervous system with a wartime Russian mycotoxin."

Check it out man, it's totally in space. Blew my load when I read it. It's all cyberspace, and internet and stuff, nerd. Any other cool sci-fi books you guys know other than the matrix? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I would argue this is, technically speaking, the "chillest" book:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
any fly razorgirls out there in the wide world of tomorrowland, holla back. i got 256mb of indo and a post-punk mixtape.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
there's pretty much only one book that any one needs, and that book is "a confederacy of dunces" read that, and you'll agree.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
snow crash was better imo opinion

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i liked the part in snow crash where griffith park is full of drugged up cultists. deffo an improvement over rich horse owners.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
I started reading the second book after neuromancer case zero or whatever and it doesnt seem good. Does it get good?

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i find that the chillest books are the ones with pictures of dogs on the cover unless its a jack london book where some man inevitably has to eat his own arm or something

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Thanks op gonna cruise through this while chillin on dat blue dream.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

there's pretty much only one book that any one needs, and that book is "a confederacy of dunces" read that, and you'll agree.

I've read that, and I don't agree. It's funny, and Ignatius is a good character, but overall it's kind of messy and some of the humor in the non-Ignatius scenes is kind of bad.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”

it's meant to be analogue static. it's dark and rainy. grey. overcast.

but nowadays if you tune a digital tv to a dead channel you just get a uniform, unbroken cheerful blue

makes u think

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

scalded schlong posted:

“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”

it's meant to be analogue static. it's dark and rainy. grey. overcast.

but nowadays if you tune a digital tv to a dead channel you just get a uniform, unbroken cheerful blue

makes u think

only if you are young.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

killaer posted:

I started reading the second book after neuromancer case zero or whatever and it doesnt seem good. Does it get good?

I like Count Zero better than Neuromancer in some ways, but it's also chiller than Neuromancer. It's more laid back drama and less crazy poo poo happening constantly. Some poo poo still happens though.

edit: Basically if what you liked about Neuromancer was razorgirls fighting cloned ninjas and hackers flying through cyberspace, you might not like Count Zero as much. If you what you liked about Neuromancer was transhumanist themes, Count Zero is just as good.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 18, 2014

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i liked Ice T and the dolphn

hacking the gibson writes good books

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
If you haven't read Neuromancer yet, here's a step-by-step on what you should do:

1. Don't read Neuromancer.

2. Read Snow Crash instead.

3. When you finish Snow Crash, forget about the entire cyberpunk genre. If you read anything by Gibson after reading Snow Crash, you'll be disappointed.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Gibson signed my copy of Neuromancer. It was great because now it is signed, and I learned on that day how much he hates talking about Neuromancer.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
i feel sorry for gibson. reality ruined his writing career

has anyone read spook?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

darkwing cuck posted:

has anyone read spook?

Pretty sure I got a free copy of that book in like a dumb door prize kind of deal when I went to see Gibson.

Never opened it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WildWanderer posted:

If you haven't read Neuromancer yet, here's a step-by-step on what you should do:

1. Don't read Neuromancer.

2. Read Snow Crash instead.

3. When you finish Snow Crash, forget about the entire cyberpunk genre. If you read anything by Gibson after reading Snow Crash, you'll be disappointed.

thats because cyberpunk pretty much happened now so you need the extra wackiness of snow crash to make it still feel futury

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax

killaer posted:

It's not as balls to the wall intense as Neuromancer, but when you read Count Zero back to back with Mona Lisa Overdrive the story gets really good. The two books pretty much flow into one another so much so that I have trouble differentiating them. The Sprawl gets fleshed out and turned into something bizarre
and almost haunting.

I think Count Zero was when Gibson really found his voice, for better or worse. His short stories are a lot more like neuromancer and the Bridge trilogy is more like Count Zero/Mona Lisa. Or you could say it's the moment he stopped giving a gently caress about brevity.

naem
May 29, 2011

The future is no where near as fun as I expected. Everybody carries an online computer 1000 times more powerful than anything they imagined in the past in their pocket 24/7 with a high def camera, connected via satellite, and we pretty much type "lol" and watch you tube home videos of cats and half heartedly hit on strangers with it

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
i like the bridge trilogy they dope

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

darkwing cuck posted:

That didn't happen to Stephenson. Check out Reamde.

best part:
A chick kills a jihadist by stabbing his eyes out with a fragment of a Love Actually DVD.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
virtual light is p much google glass: dystopia

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
theres way too much sh*t about bikes though jfc

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

ilikedirt posted:

i like the bridge trilogy they dope

He should have put more research into bike messengers. Her futuristic bike had multiple gears and brakes and that's a big no-no.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

naem posted:

The future is no where near as fun as I expected. Everybody carries an online computer 1000 times more powerful than anything they imagined in the past in their pocket 24/7 with a high def camera, connected via satellite, and we pretty much type "lol" and watch you tube home videos of cats and half heartedly hit on strangers with it

WildWanderer posted:

He should have put more research into bike messengers. Her futuristic bike had multiple gears and brakes and that's a big no-no.

as usual futurists fail to fully account for the true retardedness of man

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

That one dude in neuromancer who could project holograms was pretty cool

Also yea snow crash is way awesomer in many regards. I really want to see someone attempt a movie adaptation even though I know it would inevitably suck rear end. There are just so many awesome set pieces and so much crazy poo poo going on in that book.

Vv it is poppy as gently caress but that's what makes it so good and unique.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 18, 2014

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i never cared much for Snow Crash, it was too colorful instead of dark and bladerunnerish

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Man what is wrong with all of you, both Neuromancer and Snow Crash are awesome, we don't need to fight over it.

naem
May 29, 2011

Neauromancer is what would happen if everyone stopped aging at 25 and it was culturally 1984, forever

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

inkmoth posted:

Man what is wrong with all of you, both Neuromancer and Snow Crash are awesome, we don't need to fight over it.

So, in other words, the internet is pointless?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

WildWanderer posted:

So, in other words, the internet is pointless?

No, people that disagree with me are just obviously wrong :spergin:

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
is pattern recognition any good

i wish i had more time to read some of these books but its so easy to just stop reading and never pick them up again ever

naem
May 29, 2011

In the neo gritty dark future only programmers can use the Internet even though it is a badly render low polygon video game, also Asian people are spooky and mysterious instead of like normal and all over the place.

Also mercenaries are stylish and high tech and sexy and sometimes they are hot girls, instead of being a bunch of bored fat hillbillies who used to be in the army sitting in a tent somewhere being an overpaid security guard playing candycrush

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The worst thing about Gibson's books is his constant fetishising of Japan's high tech innovation (lol)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Brb communing with the Loa in Cyberspace

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

actually, Neuromancer and Snow Crash are both good :greencube:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Gibson has a new book coming out this year, The Peripheral. It's supposed to be more sci fi than his usual stuff?

I'm reading COunt Zero right now and it sure does take its sweet time setting things up. I'm like a quarter of the way through the book and the only thing that has happened is people learned what thing they are going to do in the rest of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Snow Crash is bad and people recommending it are committing a minor war crime. I'll see you motherfuckers in the Hague.

• Locked thread