Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Effectronica posted:

Snow Crash is bad and people recommending it are committing a minor war crime. I'll see you motherfuckers in the Hague.

actually its really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paranoid randroid posted:

actually its really cool

Another guy to arraign, special prosecutor.

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.
So did Stephenson stop writing about the far future?

People like to bitch about Diamond Age but there's more imagination in the first forty pages of that book than most people have in their entire life.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Effectronica posted:

Another guy to arraign, special prosecutor.

arraign my hanzo steel, chummer

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

spirited posted:

So did Stephenson stop writing about the far future?

Hopefully. His historical novels are awesome.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Maelcum was the chillest :2bong:

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Effectronica posted:

Snow Crash is bad and people recommending it are committing a minor war crime. I'll see you motherfuckers in the Hague.

This is correct. Snow Crash is dumb poo poo for idiot retards.

Gibson is okay.

naem
May 29, 2011

Snow crash seems hokey now but it was fun like 10 years ago.

These however are frickin great

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/006147410X?pc_redir=1408113358&robot_redir=1

^^ I've read that one at least 4 times and still find new good stuff I missed

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ive never been able to get through any cyberpunk novel and ive stomached a song of ice and fire by george r r martin as well as the collected works of ayn rand

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

THS posted:

ive never been able to get through any cyberpunk novel and ive stomached a song of ice and fire by george r r martin as well as the collected works of ayn rand

what how

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

child abuse

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

WildWanderer posted:

That didn't happen to Stephenson. Check out Reamde.

best part:
A chick kills a jihadist by stabbing his eyes out with a fragment of a Love Actually DVD.

i liked and read Stephenson until that book (anathem apparently) about the monk and there's a poorly shoehorned in language and its like a billion pages longer than cryptonomicon. is he still doing that kind of poo poo?

ilikedirt posted:

is pattern recognition any good

i wish i had more time to read some of these books but its so easy to just stop reading and never pick them up again ever

i enjoyed pattern recognition at the time i read it. can't recall any of the story now though. we that means

naem posted:

yeah see this poster here is wrong. cryptonomicon is good anathem is trash

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

naem posted:

I read it ten years ago, and maybe if you're dumb but not yet full of cum.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

THS posted:

child abuse

I think you meant to say attempted murder

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
munchausens by proxy

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

THS posted:

the only thing you've ever stomached is gallons of cum you clown

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Look what that slick shit bought ya
A first class ticket to Lucifer, real name Christopher

Anthrovore posted:

That one dude in neuromancer who could project holograms was pretty cool

Riviera was a pretty chill bad guy with a cool name. I liked the part where Molly was walking through his holograms and saw pictures of his childhood which was like feral cannibal children running around some place that had been nuked to poo poo.

naem posted:

In the neo gritty dark future only programmers can use the Internet even though it is a badly render low polygon video game, also Asian people are spooky and mysterious instead of like normal and all over the place.

This seems pretty unfair, in that like the first part of the book is set in Japan, so there are presumably japs all over the place. I don't know if he was the first person to type it or whatever, but I still think the word "sararimen" is pretty funny.

Effectronica posted:

Actually, all of his novels are really good or at least fun. Except for Anathem. For some reason I was willing to sit through like a four page math discussion in Cryptonomicon and still love the book, but after page 50 of Anathem I just could not bear to read another loving word about clocks.

Anyway, Gibson and Stephenson own, the new Shadowrun video games own. I think we can still make cyberpunk work if we really try hard.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
neuromancer is fun because its one of those things where everything that came after aped it so hard it reads like the most cliche thing on the planet

see also: i love lucy, aliens

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Cold and Ugly posted:

Actually, all of his novels are really good or at least fun. Except for Anathem. For some reason I was willing to sit through like a four page math discussion in Cryptonomicon and still love the book, but after page 50 of Anathem I just could not bear to read another loving word about clocks.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
also i like the gibson storey with keanu reeves and henry rollins

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

ilikedirt posted:

is pattern recognition any good

i wish i had more time to read some of these books but its so easy to just stop reading and never pick them up again ever

I liked it a lot, it's probably my favorite Gibson book. Better than any of his sci-fi stuff (although I did like Neuromancer more than the rest of this thread did so maybe I'm wrong).

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I like how he more or less accurately predicted the effect that ubiquitous internet access would have on global commerce even if he got it wrong with the actual form it would take

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

darkwing cuck posted:

also i like the gibson storey with keanu reeves and henry rollins

Was Henry Rollins really in Johnny Mnemonic?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i heard reading books isn't necessary any more

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i just read tom friedman articles. the world is flat. try and tell me im going to learn anything from some nerd cyperfunk bullshit

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Stoic Commie posted:

i heard reading books isn't necessary any more

Drugs are too good in the future. Nobody has time for books any more.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Cold and Ugly posted:

Was Henry Rollins really in Johnny Mnemonic?

he was spider the doctor dude

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

neuromancer is fun because its one of those things where everything that came after aped it so hard it reads like the most cliche thing on the planet

see also: i love lucy, aliens

When I saw the Matrix for the very first time, at like 16-17, I was like: I'm having fun right now, just thinking of all the ways in which future culture is going to enjoy leather clothing and rotating freeze frame and edm versions of Dragula.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

darkwing cuck posted:

he was spider the doctor dude

Dang. I'd forgotten about that. How cheesy that movie was aside, I really wish they had cast someone other than Ice T as the resistance leader guy. That would have helped at least a little.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
all tomorrow's parties is a great book and one of my favs

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Effectronica posted:

This is the most loving correct opinion I have ever read. If I ever hear the phrase "bimbo box" spoken in real life I think I would involuntarily tackle and savagely beat the person who said it.

Gibson is fairly harmless as a writer.Not great, not horrible, and you can read it without wishing death on the author.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 19, 2014

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

i totes expected noted author of nerd wank sci-fi william gibson to be far more rugged

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

LOL. I bought and watched and enjoyed the biographical film they made about him, titled "No Maps for These Territories". It opens with Bono reading the first lines of Neuromancer, that "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel" line.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
ya the book was very chill especially the part where it was incomprehensible garbage

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

This is the most loving correct opinion I have ever read. If I ever hear the phrase "bimbo box" spoken in real life I think I would involuntarily tackle and savagely beat the person who said it.

Gibson is fairly harmless as a writer.Not great, not horrible, and you can read it without wishing death on the author.

Nice edit, man. But I think that's sort of a harsh idea to have about a black guy running around with samurai swords.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Hobohemian posted:

Yeah, but Neuromancer you've got to read. It's a loving seminal work. Don't matter much if you like it or not. Snow Crash is a footnote at best, and poo poo besides.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 19, 2014

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
man if you think that book is chill you read it wrong. cool drugs, yeah, but there's people dying all over the place and a mystery war like 20 years before events (or something like that?). book's p cool, sex scene is laughably embarrassingly bad tho.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Bread Dragon posted:

man if you think that book is chill you read it wrong. cool drugs, yeah, but there's people dying all over the place and a mystery war like 20 years before events (or something like that?). book's p cool, sex scene is laughably embarrassingly bad tho.

I don't know man. It was like two paragraphs long and almost totally irrelevant. Kind of weird that it would make it into your two sentence synopsis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Would you give up you anal virginity if meant getting some cybernetic enhancements?

• Locked thread